Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh No!!! 10 More years of D&D at Atari...

Norfleet

Eclecticist said:
I read a lot of arguments here on the Codex, and I very rarely stick my head in. But my God it rubs me the wrong way every time I read Volourn's "NWN is the best D&D game ever" comments.
Well, in Volourn's defense, it's not like NWN has a lot of competition. I mean, what, really, does it have to compete against? Most every other D&D game is stinking pile of doody, so you're really up against only BG/BG2 and PST. While individually, either of these games can easily stand up to, and outright blow away, core NWN, neither of them has the customizability and extras that provide the longevity.

I'm not saying NWN is good, but Volourn *IS* right: I mean, what real choice do you have?

aboyd

Liturgist
Norfleet said:
I'm not saying NWN is good, but Volourn *IS* right: I mean, what real choice do you have?
I tried NWN again last night. I started an excellent module that opened up into a city teeming with people. As I entered the city, a well-done scripted event drew me into a controversy. Later, wandering the city, a town crier mentioned failed "turnip crops" and I couldn't help thinking of Jan from BG2. I almost believe it was deliberate. The game certainly felt like it was built by someone who loved BG2.

However, after about 2 hours, I realized I was fighting to keep my eyes open. I couldn't put my finger on the problem at first. I mean, the game was clearly built to cater to people like me (a BG1/BG2/Arcanum fan). It had action, moral dilemmas, and cool tie-ins to other games I have enjoyed. Why was playing it like pulling teeth? Finally, I figured it out. It was pure gameplay issues.

I cannot stand the way the character will not run unless I click far away (but click too far away and it doesn't register). If I accidentally click twice, the character may initially run and then slow to a walk. I can't stand the pathfinding. I know, people said it was awful in the BG series. However, I set the pathfinding value sky-high in my BG games, and rarely had a lot of problems. In NWN, I cannot seem to prevent my character from standing face into a wall, never going around, always trying to go through.

I cannot stand the sluggish interface for inventory & purchasing. It's not that much different from other games in the genre, but it isn't snappy, even on a 2.5 GHz box that I (doggedly) built just for NWN about a year ago. It certainly works, but I want it to be more responsive. The artwork for the objects is nice to look at.

Although most of the bugs have been patched out, I still get occassional lameness. The worst is that, 50% of the time, I cannot shut down my computer after playing. It's not awful. I lose no data, and if I want to keep the box running for days, I'd never know. But when I select shutdown, if the system slows to a freeze, inevitably, the app I ran was NWN.

I cannot stand the sub-par writing. I had hoped, long ago, that the dull writing that came with the built-in modules would be quickly put to shame by the mod community. I mean, I knew up front that most modders would be high school and college kids -- so I didn't expect them to be writing stories that would appeal to a 34 year-old dad. But a few college kids majoring in English, hey, some good has to come of that, right? Instead, time and time again, I've been stuck with the standard 3-response cliche ("I'm good, here's my selfless response" and "Meh" and "I'm eeevil, here's the bad reply").

Wandering around in the same wilderness over and over gets boring. Trying to quickly navigate over ground I've already covered gets boring.

Lastly, I'm weary of the balance issues. Either the games are so easy that there is little excitement (the built-in modules), or the game has some ridiculous insta-kill moments (deliberate or not). In a game I played last week, my cleric (with toughness and max HP) was killed in a single shot by 1 enemy. I could tell that it was deiberate, as some things that couldn't be normally possible were scripted in to give the opponent greatly improved odds.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Fate has better gameplay. It's basically Diablo, and I can't respect that at a writing level, story level, plot level, etc. But the controls seem responsive, I can move from place to place without a lot of drudgery (unless you're on level 25 and have no way to cast a portal), and two things that I assumed would be stupid (the pet and the fishing) are actually great ways to keep me playing in the dungeon. I load my pet up with stuff to sell at least 3 or 4 times before I ever bother to go back up to town. I come away from Fate feeling like I actually accomplished something, even though the quests are meaningless. NWN on the other hand, has been an exercise in frustration.

I'm so desperate for some real D&D (or D&Dish) gameplay, I keep trying and retrying NWN. I even sold my copy and then re-bought it months later. I hope really hard that Obsidian will find a way to get the game mechanics humming for NWN2. I don't see much else out there, and NWN ain't doing it for me.

-Tony

aboyd

Liturgist
None of the modules mentioned in your thread fix the gameplay issues, do they?

The point of my post was that even with a well-built module, the game itself sabotages the module with what I guess I consider to be a sub-par engine.

(I have tried all the modules you mentioned, and found them all lacking. However, I don't recall Tortured Hearts affecting me the way it has affected you. I will give that one a second chance -- if I can stay awake while my character struggles to walk up to the NPCs and talk to them.)

-Tony

Atrokkus

Erudite
Hmm. well, I don't really care about pathfinding, controls and interface much. It never bothers me in RPGs, cuz it's just a secondary feature. Damn, you can even create a great RPG in WarCraft3 (i even created dialog system hehe).

By the way, there are also some premium modules, like Kingmaker. I haven't tried them yet, but i guess they are good. I'll download them soon.

I'll update my list of favorities soon, so you may find some new modules there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Kuato: Anyone who expected JE to sell as much as KOTOR is drunk. Contrary to popular believe, BIO isn't that well known by main stream. Most people who play, and like KOTOR likely don't even know about most of BIO's other games.

"But my God it rubs me the wrong way every time I read Volourn's "NWN is the best D&D game ever" comments."

Get a grip.

aboyd: Wow. First off, solid post. At least you make sense in your criticism. That said, I simply don't seem to have the problems you do with the game. I find NWN's pathfidning to be much better than most games, and definitely better than the IE games. As much as I like Firewine in BG, that is a good example of how pathfinding in BG can go wrong on occasion. Inventory is smooth as silk, and even after 3 years, I'm still trying to figure out why fools think NWN's graphics such. Sure, they aren't top of the line, but they're definitely not horrible. Then again, many people love MW's graphics which are literally shit brown, bland, and boring. NWN's biggets wekaness as far as graphics go is that they are kinda blocky. Doesn't bother me too much.

As for mods go, there are some good ones, and another one should be joining them. That said, if you hate NWN's gameplay then ya, just don't play it.

Atrokkus

Erudite
NWN's biggest weakness graphic-wise is its horrible landscape (at least on default tilesets). I'm not talking about textures and effects, but just the model and shape of the ground. Even KOTOR inherited this blockiness.

But then again, it's irrelevant to the RPG-gameplay.

Pathfinding is a secondary "feature"?
Yes.
Who needs great pathfinding or great combat system in RPG, if the story and dialogs suck legs?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
morrowind and oblivion are basiclaly the same crap updated and repackaged.
Bull-fucking shit. While Oblivion may not be a good game (according to Volo it will be so bad it will jump out of my computer and punch my mother in the face) but it is surely not just Morrowind repackaged with a graphics update.

Here are all the things Oblivion will have that Morrowind didn't: Radiant AI, Horsies, Improved combat, a fucking dialouge system, the "eavesdropping" thing, a physics engine and a totally revamped stealth system.

Say whatever the fuck you want about Oblivion, but it is NOT just going to be Morrowind with prettier graphics.

Norfleet

aboyd said:
However, after about 2 hours, I realized I was fighting to keep my eyes open. I couldn't put my finger on the problem at first. I mean, the game was clearly built to cater to people like me (a BG1/BG2/Arcanum fan). It had action, moral dilemmas, and cool tie-ins to other games I have enjoyed. Why was playing it like pulling teeth? Finally, I figured it out. It was pure gameplay issues.
Was it really that bad?

I cannot stand the way the character will not run unless I click far away (but click too far away and it doesn't register). If I accidentally click twice, the character may initially run and then slow to a walk.
I have never really noticed this problem. Is it maybe an option that you didn't check, always-run or something? People used to complain about how their characters would always run.

I can't stand the pathfinding. I know, people said it was awful in the BG series. However, I set the pathfinding value sky-high in my BG games, and rarely had a lot of problems. In NWN, I cannot seem to prevent my character from standing face into a wall, never going around, always trying to go through.
In all fairness, can you blame them for not giving pathfinding a terribly high priority given that, unlike the old IE games, you control only one character? It's hardly the end of the world if you have to plot your waypoints manually, since it's not like your entire group will end up taking individually different routes, generally highly roundabout, to reach their destination.

I cannot stand the sluggish interface for inventory & purchasing. It's not that much different from other games in the genre, but it isn't snappy, even on a 2.5 GHz box that I (doggedly) built just for NWN about a year ago. It certainly works, but I want it to be more responsive. The artwork for the objects is nice to look at.
You're joking, right? Compared to the old IE inventory engine, NWN's inventory is positively snappy! I remember back in the old IE games, I could spend the better part of an hour simply shuffling my inventory around between the little boxes and my 4+ characters, just trying to stack all the arrows together so I could hold the rest of the loot. And you're complaining about NWN's inventory?

Although most of the bugs have been patched out, I still get occassional lameness. The worst is that, 50% of the time, I cannot shut down my computer after playing. It's not awful. I lose no data, and if I want to keep the box running for days, I'd never know. But when I select shutdown, if the system slows to a freeze, inevitably, the app I ran was NWN.
Err...well, for starters, shutting down computers is bad for them. So you probably should leave it running. As for *WHY* this happens....I have no idea. I blame Windows, however, unless the NWN process is still running, in which case you could try killing it from the task manager, first.

I cannot stand the sub-par writing. I had hoped, long ago, that the dull writing that came with the built-in modules would be quickly put to shame by the mod community.
You're joking, right? Community, quality of writing? Most of the community is barely literate...if you consider AOLspeak to be literate. You're lucky if all the words are spelled correctly and sentences properly punctuated....which is no guarantee even in the official, professionally edited modules!

I mean, I knew up front that most modders would be high school and college kids -- so I didn't expect them to be writing stories that would appeal to a 34 year-old dad. But a few college kids majoring in English, hey, some good has to come of that, right? Instead, time and time again, I've been stuck with the standard 3-response cliche ("I'm good, here's my selfless response" and "Meh" and "I'm eeevil, here's the bad reply").
Well, when you think about it, most people are pretty used to the two-dimensional presentation of good and evil.

Lastly, I'm weary of the balance issues. Either the games are so easy that there is little excitement (the built-in modules), or the game has some ridiculous insta-kill moments (deliberate or not). In a game I played last week, my cleric (with toughness and max HP) was killed in a single shot by 1 enemy. I could tell that it was deiberate, as some things that couldn't be normally possible were scripted in to give the opponent greatly improved odds.
Life is like a sandwich. Some days you eat the sandwich, other days the sandwich eats you.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Fate has better gameplay. It's basically Diablo, and I can't respect that at a writing level, story level, plot level, etc. But the controls seem responsive, I can move from place to place without a lot of drudgery (unless you're on level 25 and have no way to cast a portal), and two things that I assumed would be stupid (the pet and the fishing) are actually great ways to keep me playing in the dungeon. I load my pet up with stuff to sell at least 3 or 4 times before I ever bother to go back up to town. I come away from Fate feeling like I actually accomplished something, even though the quests are meaningless. NWN on the other hand, has been an exercise in frustration.
Nothing wrong with a well-done Diablo clone. I mean, when you don't have to concern yourself with story, plot, or writing, you have a lot more free time and space to devote to gameplay. That's why Diablo works. After all, you freely admit you considered the story, plot, and writing a write-off from the beginning.

I'm so desperate for some real D&D (or D&Dish) gameplay, I keep trying and retrying NWN. I even sold my copy and then re-bought it months later. I hope really hard that Obsidian will find a way to get the game mechanics humming for NWN2. I don't see much else out there, and NWN ain't doing it for me.
Consider tabletop as an alternative, and stick with playing Diablo on your computer. Just be sure to buy the stuff used/bargain bin, so they don't get the idea that you actually demand it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Troika has gone down under, that certainly is partly their own fault. But it didn't seem that they had that much luck with publishers.

Arcanum
Great game idea, had a lot of the good ol' fallout feel, superb quests and rpging.
Buggy, unbalanced combat and dated graphics. The dungeons felt stupid and contrived.
Whas warezed literally a half year before release. 6 months later the game came out, exactly like the warezed version. Sierra totally fucked up on the localisation.

Toee
Great engine and the best turn based combat in an rpg to date. Liked the signettes.
Boring, buggy and plainly just no rpg fun.
Atari rushed this game out, cut down some content and happily went on with life.
Dunno who's fault it is, but what the hell kept the patches? Atari didnt QA/approve em? Trioka wouldn't make them because it wasn't in the contract? Shit reasons, but somehow this game was very quickly forgotten.

Vampire
Great setting, the hl2 engine to use.
Good game, but it had a lot of performance troubles and a very shitty end game. Felt rushed (again)
Was released at the same time as HL2, which meant it was kinda snowed under. Still, I'm surprised it apparantly sold as shit. Again, where were the patches?

Troika should have been more thorough with QA and product support (see blizzard, years later there still are new patches for starcraft) But it certainly seems that they constantly had to work under a very tight schedule, something that gave the last two games a rather rushed and unfinished feel. To bad that they are gone, the games always were full of potential....but somewhere they fell flat.

Drakron

Arcane
Blizzard?

You are joking, it taken then about three year for Diablo 2 patch (meaning there is hope for a KotOR2 patch ... in 2007) and from what I read about WoW they been slopping with massive server downtime and other issues.

Yes, StarCraft been heavly supported but I wonder by who ... Blizzard or the Battle.net people that left to create Arena.Net.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I understand where aboyd is coming from. I tried playing a few modules for NWN as well and I couldn't get in to them either because it still felt like NWN's clumsiness and overly repeating tiles.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yes, StarCraft been heavly supported but I wonder by who ... Blizzard or the Battle.net people that left to create Arena.Net.
What are you talking about?
Blizzard always offered the best support to their games.
Diablo had 10 patches, and most of them had some very right changes, not just bug-hunting. Why 1.10 was delayed? Fuck, after so much time most companies don't even consider making a patch, and you complain about the delay! Plus, you must take into account that Blizzard now has many projects, and WoW especially, because it's a huge man-time-resource hog.
Plus, Diablo belongs to the North department, and they had some tough times after Roper and some others left.

And Warcraft3? Did you even play it? It's being patched on a regular basis, version 1.18 was released quite recently, and there are more to come in future. While RoC was extremely disbalanced (wc3 is much more difficult to balance than SC, since there are tons of features), the expansion, TFT now has a very good balance. yes, it's far from perfect, but there is no other game, save SC, that can be more balanced, and still contain lots of features.

And it's all done by Blizzard.

And WoW - it's a titanic work to update and debug such a huge thing as MMORPG.

so please stop bitching about Blizzard.

Sorry for offtopic, but Blizzard is a holy company to me.

Kuato

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
My first reaction is to say god you are stupid please shoot youself but I have reached my limit for the day.

Instead I will say that you should look at the elder scrolls arena and daggerfall as their claim to fame, without which no one would have bought morrowind most likely, and which gave the budget for morrowind.

My point was that Bethesda is most likely turning a good profit from the budgetware but I have an open mind if you think other wise please enlighten us with your flowering genius and explain to us why you think Bethesda even bothers with these other titles if they are not making money and are not repackages Morrowind or Daggerfall?

PS2 HIGH ROLLERS CASINO
XBX HIGH ROLLERS CASINO
XBX AMF BOWLING 2004
PS2 IHRA DRAG RACING 2005
XBX PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN
PS2 IHRA DRAG RACING 2
XBX IHRA DRAG RACING 2005
XBX IHRA DRAG RACING 2004
PS IHRA DRAG RACING
PS SUPERBIKE 2
PS ALL STAR RACING
PS FAMILY CARD GAMES
PS ATV RACERS
PS ALL STAR RACING 2
PS AIR HOCKEY
PS CLEOPATRA'S FORTUNE
PS QIX NEO
PS PUZZNIC
PS MIRACLE SPACE RACE
PS BALDIES
PS AMERICAN POOL
PS EQUESTRIAN SHOWCASE
PS GUBBLE
PS BALLERBURG: CASTLE

Kuato

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Kuato: Anyone who expected JE to sell as much as KOTOR is drunk. Contrary to popular believe, BIO isn't that well known by main stream. Most people who play, and like KOTOR likely don't even know about most of BIO's other games.

You might actually be right in a sense, Publishers set expectations, they might of even expected Jade Empire to sell as much as KOTOR if the Budgets that went into them were relaltively the same. Im not saying they actually expected Jade empire to out perform KOTOR as much as Im saying some of the bad calls made by Publishers these days makes me believe some of them could actually be drunk:)

bryce777

Erudite
Kuato said:
bryce777 said:
My first reaction is to say god you are stupid please shoot youself but I have reached my limit for the day.

Instead I will say that you should look at the elder scrolls arena and daggerfall as their claim to fame, without which no one would have bought morrowind most likely, and which gave the budget for morrowind.

My point was that Bethesda is most likely turning a good profit from the budgetware but I have an open mind if you think other wise please enlighten us with your flowering genius and explain to us why you think Bethesda even bothers with these other titles if they are not making money and are not repackages Morrowind or Daggerfall?

PS2 HIGH ROLLERS CASINO
XBX HIGH ROLLERS CASINO
XBX AMF BOWLING 2004
PS2 IHRA DRAG RACING 2005
XBX PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN
PS2 IHRA DRAG RACING 2
XBX IHRA DRAG RACING 2005
XBX IHRA DRAG RACING 2004
PS IHRA DRAG RACING
PS SUPERBIKE 2
PS ALL STAR RACING
PS FAMILY CARD GAMES
PS ATV RACERS
PS ALL STAR RACING 2
PS AIR HOCKEY
PS CLEOPATRA'S FORTUNE
PS QIX NEO
PS PUZZNIC
PS MIRACLE SPACE RACE
PS BALDIES
PS AMERICAN POOL
PS EQUESTRIAN SHOWCASE
PS GUBBLE
PS BALLERBURG: CASTLE

Can you even read?

Do you speak Engrish?

Anyway, since what I described is THE BASIC BUSINESS PLAN FOR ALMOST ALL SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT and you are arguing against it, you might want to neuter yourself to make sure some woman doesn't get drunk enough to accidentally reproduce with you some day.

Just sayin.

bryce777

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
Bull-fucking shit. While Oblivion may not be a good game (according to Volo it will be so bad it will jump out of my computer and punch my mother in the face) but it is surely not just Morrowind repackaged with a graphics update.

Here are all the things Oblivion will have that Morrowind didn't: Radiant AI, Horsies, Improved combat, a fucking dialouge system, the "eavesdropping" thing, a physics engine and a totally revamped stealth system.

Say whatever the fuck you want about Oblivion, but it is NOT just going to be Morrowind with prettier graphics.

Oh please, it is all basically the same. It may be a good game or better, but they have the same basic code base.

The IDEA is exactly the fucking same as the very first game, period.

As I said they may update it, but they have not come up with a new paradigm.

They did not make a game about controlling a fucking railroad or building a theme park ffs.

bryce777

Erudite
Well, I would like to play morrowinf and NWN more just so I can bash them more if nothing else, but I can't fucking bring myself to. I bought them both at full price too...stupid me. Well, I did get the platinum edition of NWN. Maybe someday I will force myself to play it through and hopefully I will warm up to it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Holy shit guys, Fallout is just Wasteland repackaged. Never mind the dialogue system, the completely different combat, the gameplay, graphics and sound. It's the same game! OMFG POST APOCALYPTIC SETTING = UPDATED CLONE.

aboyd

Liturgist
Volourn said:
As much as I like Firewine in BG, that is a good example of how pathfinding in BG can go wrong on occasion.

Point conceded -- one of the reasons I never hated the BG pathfinding to an extreme is that I never bothered with Firewine. Well, I did wander in once, but I stuck to the first floor, if I remember correctly. After that, I wandered back out and muttered to myself, "maybe there is something more enjoyable to do." And then I found something else in the game that worked for me, and I stuck with it.

Volourn said:
Inventory is smooth as silk, and even after 3 years, I'm still trying to figure out why fools think NWN's graphics such.

Smooth? Yeah, I guess I might call it that. Does that also mean fast? Here is what I mean. Let's say in BG or PS:T, I decide to sell 10 items in my inventory. I click, drop, click, drop, over and over. It's kinda lame that I can't drag a selection box around the 10 items and sell them all at once, but it's not too bad because the click/drop is so responsive that I can move all 10 items in maybe 3 seconds. In NWN, it's more like this: click, pause, drop, click, pause, drop. The pause is maybe just a half-second while the engine registers what object I'm grabbing. But it pushes the time to sell 10 items up to maybe 10 seconds. Not awful, but noticable.

Are you saying that you don't get that little delay? Or just that it doesn't bother you at all? If you don't get that delay, then maybe I've built my system poorly.

-Tony

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Maybe someday I will force myself to play it through and hopefully I will warm up to it."

No, don't. You hate the games. Friggin' move on. I'm sure there's enough games you like out there that you can play. Why play games that you think suck? Talk about illogical desire for self inflicted punishment.

"Are you saying that you don't get that little delay? Or just that it doesn't bother you at all?"

I don't notice it for sure. Perhaps, it's because my computer is too fast, or it could be that I've played the game so much I'm used to it. *shrugs* That said, I do have one major beef with NWN's inventory - it gives the player way too manys creens. One is more than enough. Two tops. But, the I think 8 or so of them is just plain ridiculous. Outside of being just too generous; ther eis no good reason for it...

"Finewine is the best dungeon in BG evar! Except for the fact that it's the worst."

My criticism of FW above aside, I must say I like Firewine. It was cool, fool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom