Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh No!!! 10 More years of D&D at Atari...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. Troika is the Bug King. It is their fault that TOEE was so buggy. And, had a shitty story, forgettable characters, bland quests, and on, and on.

And, huh? QA signs off on games now? You are stupid. QA for any company doesn't have that power. The Big Wigs of the company does. You know, the Producer and the like. QA is just tiddly winks.

Drakron

Arcane
Many companies dont have internal QA departments and rely on the publisher for QA, also publishers decided when to send the build for the gold disk and start manufacturing and not the developer.

I could add that only some developers have the ability to delay their game, most studios are part of a publisher or independent studios that need the publisher milestone payments to remain alive.

Troika did make a very bugged build but it was run by Atari QA department and send to the print by Atari.

Also lets not forget NwN were Atari set in stone a release day months before it was ready and that shown in the final product and at that time BioWare was not the same company that is now, they needed Atari payments to remain since they were still fighting with Interplay over missed payments and were not in a very good position.

And no, Troika is not bug king ... I played Daggerfall and that is bug king.

Drakron

Arcane
Volourn posts can be reduced to just ... R00fles!

You know, you sould really sue BioWare CEOs from that lobotomy they performed on you ...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn posts can be reduced to just ... R00fles!"

I'd rather be known as a laugher than a whiner like some people.

"You know, you sould really sue BioWare CEOs from that lobotomy they performed on you ..."

Your continued uncontrollable rage against a company continues to be entertaining. :cool:

Shevek

Arcane
Lady Armageddona said:
You forget ToEE, my dear man, and even though Atari were responsible for 90 % of the game's problems, it still counts as one of the best, not only DnD games, but CRPGs as a whole.

It has the best combat in a CRPG ever. I wonder if Atari owns the engine...It would be nice to get more modules done now that the combat engine is all set up.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The only thing that R00fles remind me is chips."

LOL That's funny. :lol:

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shevek said:
It has the best combat in a CRPG ever. I wonder if Atari owns the engine...It would be nice to get more modules done now that the combat engine is all set up.
Yeah, that would be nice.
Give it 'proper' roleplaying choices and a decent story, but with the same combat/gfx/etc engine = WINNAH

But because that is incredibly sensible it won't happen.
And possibly due to contractual shite and so on that I have no idea of.
:cry:

Norfleet

No truly godlike game will ever be made for a profit. The reason is very simple: Suppose such a thing were actually made. It would, of course, likely be an enormous hit. It would briefly make some people rather wealthy.

It would also set completely unreasonable expectations for what games should be like. Nobody could possibly keep up. The publishers would have shot themselves in the foot as a result. Thus, any such promising game must be intentionally sabotaged to prevent the consumer from developing unreasonable expectations. People with low expectations are their friends.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's just plain retarded. It's one big conspiracy. LMAO

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It was 50/50 IMHO OMG

Both did a poor job, but i think exitium likes to blame it on troika because he loves the feeling of the waves parting at his hard niipples.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Norfleet said:
No truly godlike game will ever be made for a profit. The reason is very simple: Suppose such a thing were actually made. It would, of course, likely be an enormous hit. It would briefly make some people rather wealthy.

It would also set completely unreasonable expectations for what games should be like. Nobody could possibly keep up. The publishers would have shot themselves in the foot as a result. Thus, any such promising game must be intentionally sabotaged to prevent the consumer from developing unreasonable expectations. People with low expectations are their friends.
what

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
And, huh? QA signs off on games now? You are stupid. QA for any company doesn't have that power. The Big Wigs of the company does. You know, the Producer and the like. QA is just tiddly winks.

Volourn Theory in action yet again. I wonder what department Volourn thinks gets release candidate builds since he doesn't think QA gets them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Saint Proverbius Moronic Theory proven again. No matter how you slice it, QA dinks do not get FINAL say on when a game is released. NEVER.

bryce777

Erudite
Norfleet said:

Actually this is the ONLY way to make money in games. They are just too fucked up to accomplish it.

The idea is to make a huge hit then slightly change it up and repackage it half a dozen times...an expensive game that sucks and has to be totally thrown out can kill a company.

That is how bethesda and bioware are still in business.

Remax

Novice
Volourn said:
Bullshit. Atari gave them more than enough time. 18-20 months they wer egiven when they were supposed to get less.

Could you back that up, Volourn? Where did you read that Troika was supposed to make the game in less than 18-20 months?

Everything I have read about ToEE, including the interviews with the developers, state that Troika was given 18 months in the original contract, but they asked for 3 additional months when D&D 3.5 came out during development. Atari gave them 2 additional months instead, and that was it. The game came out in 20 months.

And Troika does accept blame for much of the problems. Read my previous posts.

Kuato

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
The idea is to make a huge hit then slightly change it up and repackage it half a dozen times...an expensive game that sucks and has to be totally thrown out can kill a company.

I might of had an easier time believing that statement if hadn't seen all the other software titles besides Morrowind that Bethesda Softworks Publishes and that they are not equally famous for, as much as we would all like to believe that Morrowind is their only source of the income the other 20 or so titles are hard to ignore, Bethesda prpobably makes more of their income from their combined budgetware titles than Morrowind and Morrowind repackages.
https://orders.bethsoft.com/store

As for Bioware I am curious as to how well Jade Empire stacked up against Kotor in sales seeing that Jade Empire is an original IP and not tied to big licenses like Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons.While we don't know the actual sales numbers and probably never will its interesting that Jade Empire placed 8th in its first month behind a Lego Starwars title and MVP Baseball 2005 in its third month of sales while Kotor ranked in considerably higher in 2nd behind EAs PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 2004 in its first month. Is it good news that an original IP game broke the top ten or is it bad news that it didn't place in the top five since Jade Empire looks like it had a considerably higher budget than most games?

Jade Empire ranked 8 for April - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... story=5569
Kotor ranked 2 for its release month - http://www.npdfunworld.com/funServlet?n ... ent_id=448
KOTOR sells 270k units in four days - http://www.xbox.com/en-us/starwarskotor ... elease.htm

bryce777

Erudite
Kuato said:
bryce777 said:

I might of had an easier time believing that statement if hadn't seen all the other software titles besides Morrowind that Bethesda Softworks Publishes and that they are not equally famous for, as much as we would all like to believe that Morrowind is their only source of the income the other 20 or so titles are hard to ignore, Bethesda prpobably makes more of their income from their combined budgetware titles than Morrowind and Morrowind repackages.
https://orders.bethsoft.com/store

As for Bioware I am curious as to how well Jade Empire stacked up against Kotor in sales seeing that Jade Empire is an original IP and not tied to big licenses like Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons.While we don't know the actual sales numbers and probably never will its interesting that Jade Empire placed 8th in its first month behind a Lego Starwars title and MVP Baseball 2005 in its third month of sales while Kotor ranked in considerably higher in 2nd behind EAs PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 2004 in its first month. Is it good news that an original IP game broke the top ten or is it bad news that it didn't place in the top five since Jade Empire looks like it had a considerably higher budget than most games?

Jade Empire ranked 8 for April - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... story=5569
Kotor ranked 2 for its release month - http://www.npdfunworld.com/funServlet?n ... ent_id=448
KOTOR sells 270k units in four days - http://www.xbox.com/en-us/starwarskotor ... elease.htm

My first reaction is to say god you are stupid please shoot youself but I have reached my limit for the day.

Instead I will say that you should look at the elder scrolls arena and daggerfall as their claim to fame, without which no one would have bought morrowind most likely, and which gave the budget for morrowind.

morrowind and oblivion are basiclaly the same crap updated and repackaged.

For bioware it would be baldur's gate, which launched about 10 fucking games which were extremely simialr. By the time kotor came along they had about 50 fucking programmers alone.

Ok, maybe now you will get it.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
I read a lot of arguments here on the Codex, and I very rarely stick my head in. But my God it rubs me the wrong way every time I read Volourn's "NWN is the best D&D game ever" comments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom