Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Troika's Next: MMORPG

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What, and hire you? I don't think we all need to hear you go on about how great Therion is.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don't think that Troika is seriously considering a MMORPG. They don't have the people, and they would have a hell of a time finding a publisher to finance such a HUGE project. Don't they already have something in the works for their next project. I think he was talking about WAY in the future. Sort of like "If we blow up and get huge we can have enough clout and cash and people to even make a MMORPG the way that it should be." I think that every one of their games that I have played have had some really great qualities to them. I am sure that whatever project they take on will at least be somewhat original and fun to play. Unlike games by other companies like Bioware that continue to produce redundant shitty games that sell like crazy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I am sure that whatever project they take on will at least be somewhat original and fun to play."

That's funny. None of their games really have any "originality' in them. As for the 'fun' part; so far they are 1/2.

Mantra_n

Novice
yeah even if they do expand into 3 teams it doesn't seem like they have their shit together, I think they should make some totally polished games first, and however good Bloodlines was, I don't think it was the most polished game ever, especially with the usual horde of bugs that people are experiencing, mine plays just fine though, and even though its still a fun game its not a totally blow your mind kind of quality. I think they should keep it small and focus on what they're doing instead of trying to get big and make more cash, because if you go too big too fast there is a possibility that the company will implode on itself and will be impossible to manage, nobody wants that. And making good innovative games doesn't usually go hand in hand with making tons of Ca$h, Troika has been able to compromise pretty well so far, but just how far can you go?

And please... NCsoft... Ubi.... EA... omg they are all a bunch of corporate whores they'll fuck you and your game and then spit you out in a second. I'm in no position to have people listen to what I'm saying, but I'm still going to say it, FUCK THAT... focus on what you're doing, believe in it, do it better, innovate, if you want money then make good products.

Ofcourse that might be what Troika is trying to do and they might have some killer ideas for an MMO, I know people have been skeptical with an FPS/RPG Bloodlines, but it turned out to be a good Troika game after all. So maybe things aren't that bad and maybe Troika isn't trying to sell out to the big dogs and succumb to making crap games that are oversaturating the shelves in walmart... maybe everything will be fine and we will see a true role playing MMO...

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Considering how controversial it would be if its true and how much it would piss alot of people off Exitium, if it was me who was going to post that news, id want to be very sure it was accurate before posting it on the frontpage but hey, feel free to call me old fashioned.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
We ride on controversy. It's the only way to get anything done, and it's clear we certainly disapprove of the idea of a Troika MMORPG.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I don't have much to say about a MMORPG by Troika because I haven't even played a MMORPG, it seems they take too much time. As for making a console exclusive game, Troika would really have to consider that decision very well. You can't put out a patch for a console game after you ship it. It doesn't work that way, so they have to get their act together first. Not only that, they are going to need people who are experienced in making console games. It is more difficult than PC programming since there are many pitfalls and limitations you have to be aware of in consoles which usually requires experience do avoid. So how about they perfect making PC games before jumping to consoles (despite the possiblity that they can make more money on consoles). The only reason I can see to jump to the console market is that it is a larger market and has the prospect of bringing a larger amount of money (as Bethesda recently found out).

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
We ride on controversy. It's the only way to get anything done, and it's clear we certainly disapprove of the idea of a Troika MMORPG.

And yet when VD said that Pete Hines was full of shit (with good reason) that was bad, are you on crack, or are you the only admin on this site who's allowed to express a valid opinion?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
"I am sure that whatever project they take on will at least be somewhat original and fun to play."

That's funny. None of their games really have any "originality' in them. As for the 'fun' part; so far they are 1/2.

Arcanum WAS a pretty original concept for a CRPG. What about Bloodlines? It's not very original? A FPS/RPG set in the White Wolf thingy? I haven't seen that before. TOEE wasn't at all orginal, but it was still fun.

WTF are you talking about, Volourn?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Seven said:
Exitium said:

And yet when VD said that Pete Hines was full of shit (with good reason) that was bad, are you on crack, or are you the only admin on this site who's allowed to express a valid opinion?

Yes. :lol:

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Exitium said:

Nice sentiments and i do kind of agree with them. You just seem to want controversy for the sake of it.. anyone can start a rumour and credibility is an issue for such a major rumour, going OT but from my own lurking, you seem incapable of moving even the slightest inch from your own intrenched point of view, spinning any comment to suit your argument, "We ride on controverysy" ? spare me please.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You must have been too busy licking Tim Cain's balls to notice that the MMORPG thing was a quote from the interview.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Arcanum WAS a pretty original concept for a CRPG."

No. Fantasy mixed into a more 'real world/modern times' is not really new. Various FF games have done this throughout the years. As far back as FF3/6 in fact. D&D , and RIFTS have done the same thing though eslewhere. LH - though it was releasd a few years after Arcanum - does the same thing. Seriously, how exactly is Arcanum truly original in light of the FF example? And, I'm sure if I did some digging I'd find a lot more.

"A FPS/RPG set in the White Wolf thingy?"

Hahaha. It's based on a pre made setting. Hahaha. That's so original. And, let's not forget that other Vampire game.

R00fles!

So, why do you babble out your lies?

Dhruin

Liturgist
It's a quote from the interview but it's not a direct quote from Cain. We're told by the writer that Cain "mentioned" venturing into a MMO; we don't know the context or even his exact wording.

LlamaGod

Cipher
and then the whole consoles thing is just Exitium's magic skill of being stupid and not knowing how to read correctly with a bonus 'Jumping to Conclusions'.

And Arcanum was pretty original. It's the only Fantasy Steampunk game in exsistance, and if you think otherwise, you should learn the different genres already.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
"So, why do you babble out your lies?"

So you are the only one around here allowed to?

"As far back as FF3/6 in fact"

Try Phantasie Star, you fat-tounged Mongoloid fuck!

"LH - though it was releasd a few years after Arcanum "

It was released AFTERWARDS and you say that makes Arcanum unorignal? Are you getting slow in your old age?

"Seriously, how exactly is Arcanum truly original in light of the FF example?"

You are comparing Arcanum to FF? How dare you, you tubby bitch!

R00fles!!!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Llama, did you even read my post because you're the one who's jumping to conclusions. I never said that the console rumor came from the interview, only that I'd heard it from a credible source. Grow a pair of eyeballs or shut the fuck up.

As for Arcanum's originality... well... it's not. It's cookie cutter fantasy (dwarfs, elfs, orcs) in a Victorian setting. Granted, there haven't been any steampunk games, but in terms of the setting, it's hardly anything special. Try China Mieville for some real originality when it comes to steampunk, and not some nonsense about dwarves with guns fighting cookie cutter elves who use magical spells (as if D&D didn't do that years before).

ChronoTrigger's far more original, so there's an example for you.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Fantasy Steampunk is a type of genre, smarty.

Anyways, here is a summary of all of Exitium's news posts:

CLICH MEH

And yes, you do jump to conclusions.

Some "credible source" mentions consoles and you're jumping up and down "TROIKA IS MAKING CONSOLE GAMES"

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well I think you got your point across this time Exitium. If he can't read your three posts then LlamaGod is blind :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom