Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Common Misconceptions about DRAKENSANG

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Hi everyone. I'm a regular codex reader, but never felt an urge to post myself until I read the (codex typical) negativity towards DRAKENSANG.

For the record: I'm a veteran CRPG player from Germany who started his gamer career 1986 with "Tales of the Unknown" (Bard's Tale 1). I both adore both Fallout 1/2 and BG2, but my all time favourite still is "Pool of Radiance" (1988). I'm somewhat a collector and bought the Elder Scrolls games, too - but I never liked one, even "Daggerfall". I tend to be a patient gamer and even finished "Pool of Radiance 2".

In contrast to most Codexers I'm a cautious optimist and tend to believe developer promises (thus I'm often disappointed - Icewind Dale 2).

The common Misconceptions about DRAKENSANG are as follows:

- "teh gaem will be like teh Dungeon Siege gaems"

DRAKENSANG won't be anything like the DS games, because the combat will need more interaction and tactical planning. Auto actions won't be so prominent and there actually will be meaningful dialogue in the game.

- "teh gaem will have ES-like/ no wahtsoevah dialogue"

DRAKENSANG will feature extensive dialogue with meaningful choices. It will feature "ambient" dialogue which only extenses the believable world by giving information, which isn't necessary to solve quests. The dialogue is written by the p&p story authors and will be polished to avoid excessiveness like in PS:T and dialogue without consequences like in BG2.

- "teh gaem will have elfs with thongs"

DRAKENSANG is a "Dark Eye" game in style, which means it doesn't feature elves in thongs. Concept art is imported from the p&p and that ist famouse for not oversexing the fantasy world. In fact: the world of Aventuria is based on the real Middle-European Middle Age and not High-Fantasy concepts like eg. FORGOTTEN REALMS. Look at the trailer - it features real Middle-Age architecture.

- "teh gaem will have nuthin to do with graet REALMS OF ARCANIA gaems"

DRAKENSANG is a "Dark Eye" game in story and quests. The world of Aventuria (that is a continent on the planet Dere in fact) has changed quite a bit since the NORTHLAND TRILOGY, but the authors for the p&p game have mostly been the same for years. The NOTHLAND TRILOGY in fact didn't feature much dialogue at all - and mostly without consequences. DRAKENSANG will improve on that.

- "teh gaem will concentrate on superficial things like grafxxxx LOLOMFG"
DRAKENSANG gets some bad press here in Germany for not being grafically up to date! Codexers fears do not base on facts. Even good CRPG feature great grafics - think of "Betrayal at Krondor" - not only the bad ones ("Oblivion")

So, feel free flame me!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
You thought IWD2 would be good?

Oh, give him some space. Every gamer goes through this at least once. They pick out some game to really look forward to and expect the world from. Then when they actually play it they are shocked when for some strange reason they find themselves bored when playing it. Internally torn they find ways to justify their conviction that the game is awesome and the reality that they aren't enjoying playing it. Self doubt and depression often follows.

Thankfully, today the internet provides help to such people in the way of forum posts. They provided an outlet where disappointed users can express their frustations and have them nutured into fuller realizations. Disappointed fanboys learn they are not alone and in fact the game was, in fact, just plain bad.

Sigh... I hate you Chronicles of Uru! And Return to Krondor, I hate you to!

Balor

Arcane
The dialogue is written by the p&p story authors and will be polished to avoid excessiveness like in PS:T
You do not deserve to be flamed.
You deserve to DIE!

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
I'm still looking for the good points about Drakensang. Ambivalence more than negativity is my current thoughts about the game.

Could be an absolute winner I guess. Although my money is on it sucking more than Jenna Jameson in a gangbang set. We'll see I guess.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Well it sounds interesting enough to me, but wake me up nearer to it's release... ;-)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
TOO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS => IMMEDIATE IMPRESSION OF PR BULLSHIT

and we'll pwn you in the Championship.

At least, our hooligans will beat your police. If you happen to catch them, don't return them.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sir_Brennus said:
You do realize that you haven't really addressed any concerns that we have? All you said was basically "No, you guys are wrong and the game will be awesome!"

DRAKENSANG won't be anything like the DS games, because the combat will need more interaction and tactical planning.
Is that a fact?

...there actually will be meaningful dialogue in the game.
Is that a fact?

DRAKENSANG will feature extensive dialogue with meaningful choices.
Is that a fact?

...will be polished to avoid excessiveness like in PS:T and dialogue without consequences like in BG2.
Is that a fact?

The NOTHLAND TRILOGY in fact didn't feature much dialogue at all - and mostly without consequences. DRAKENSANG will improve on that.
Of course it will.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Sir_Brennus said:
You do realize that you haven't really addressed any concerns that we have? All you said was basically "No, you guys are wrong and the game will be awesome!"

DRAKENSANG won't be anything like the DS games, because the combat will need more interaction and tactical planning.
Is that a fact?

...there actually will be meaningful dialogue in the game.
Is that a fact?

DRAKENSANG will feature extensive dialogue with meaningful choices.
Is that a fact?

...will be polished to avoid excessiveness like in PS:T and dialogue without consequences like in BG2.
Is that a fact?

The NOTHLAND TRILOGY in fact didn't feature much dialogue at all - and mostly without consequences. DRAKENSANG will improve on that.
Of course it will.

ahh, VD - you were the one I was waiting for :D

first: you ignored ALL the evidence I put forward: especially everything that had to do with the track record of the authors and the overall setting and the fact, that the game's visual style is based on concept art for DA:

Skizzen für die Archetypen (wie z.B. einen garethischen Krieger) stammen von DSA-Original-Zeichnern

In plain english: scetches for the archetypes (eg. a Warrior of the Empire of Gareth) are from the DA original artists.

Second: It is a fact that the dialogue will be extensive and that it will be bound by the rules of the p&p version.

Das bezieht sich nicht nur auf Textmengen, sondern auch auf die Art und Weise wie Dialoge angelegt und gestaltet werden. Die Unterscheidung zwischen elementaren und anderen Informationen bedeutet aber nicht, dass letztere pauschal weggelassen werden. Ganz im Gegenteil: wir werden weit mehr Informationen implementieren, als wirklich notwendig.
Man kann, bei entsprechendem Interesse, viel mehr über die Welt und ihre Bewohner, die Geschichte und ihre Auswirkungen erfahren, als für das Lösen der Mainquest nötig. Und natürlich werden sich durch diese Informationen, immer wieder Bereiche des Spiels öffnen, die demjenigen, der nur der Mainquest folgt, verborgen bleiben
In plain English: That doesn't only referr to the amount of text, but also to the way dialogs are initiated and made. The differentiation between elementary and other information doesn't mean that the latter will be removed. On the contrary: we will implement much more information than what is really necessary. You can, if you are interested, learn much more about the world and it's inhabitants, the history and it's implications than is nceessary to solve the main quest. And of course this will open open parts of the game, which are hidden to those who only follow the main quest.

hoher Überreden-Talentwert soll beispielsweise die Dialogoptionen erhöhen
In plain english: a high stat in persuation will give you more options in dialogs.

Third: It also can't be like Dungeon Siege because the game doesn't feature combat as whole purpose and focus of the game:

Ausrichtung des Spiels wohl auf ca 50% Kampf, 30% Interaktion, 20% Welterkundung[/qoute]
In plain english: the game will probably feature 50% combat, 30% interaction, 20% exploring.

It also will feature details that are nonexistend in Dungeon Siege:

im Kampf wird man die unterschiedlichen Körperzonen treffen können und wohl auch direkt anzielen (Kopf, Arme, Beine usw.)
ipe: in combat you will be able to hit different body parts and probably be able to aim at them directly (head, arms, legs...)

It is based on a complex system which features options nonexistend in Dungeon Siege, e.g. disarming, critical hits, armour piercing hits, drops to unconciousness etc.

Die Kämpfe basieren auf dem DSA-Kampfrundensystem
ipe: the combat is based on the DA turn based combat system.
spezielle Angriffs- und Teammanöver
ipe: special attacks and team options.

Conclusion: all my points are at least based on complete concept papers and design decisions that are already made.

all quotes from the "hart facts" section of the official forum

[link]http://www.anaconda-game.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3351&sid=c9f44c5c1da30857c31620192cccd5f9[/link]

@VD: "I find your lack of confidence ... disturbing"

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
bryce777 said:
It's realtime with pause...with a heavy emphasis away from pausing.

They bragged abiout cutting down dialog.

the game will suck and only morons will even try it out.

:roll: have you even read my post :shock:

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
[Pete Hines] Yeah, trust me, the game will be awesom. [/Pete Hines]

PH wrote all this BS bout Oblivion when the awful truth about the design decision got to the light of day - all facts known bout Drakensang are explained above. It has nothing to do with ES fanboys babbling: OMFG11 teh gaem will be awzzzum111

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
You thought IWD2 would be good?

yes, call me foolish. call me foolish twice, but I hoped for "Project Ego" and got "Fable TLC".

life can be so cruel...

Twinfalls

Erudite
jesus, bryce, that's a bit harsh - this isn't Bethesda.

Did you notice the 'you get more dialogue options if you have a high persuasion stat' for example...

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
EvilManagedCare said:
Sir_Brennus said:
, but my all time favourite still is "Pool of Radiance" (1988).

Good Lord, why is that?

No matter. My bet is still on Drakensang not being released in the US, unfortunately.

First time a complete p&p module was put into a CRPG. Awesome background story and the detail of the journal was stunning. Extremely difficult and challenging turn based tactical combat. PoR is the best of all the Gold Box games.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Sir_Brennus said:
bryce777 said:
It's realtime with pause...with a heavy emphasis away from pausing.

They bragged abiout cutting down dialog.

the game will suck and only morons will even try it out.

:roll: have you even read my post :shock:

Yeah, and it sucked.

I love the codex and the feeling of your face in my inner intestines...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sir_Brennus said:
first: you ignored ALL the evidence I put forward: especially everything that had to do with the track record of the authors and the overall setting and the fact, that the game's visual style is based on concept art for DA:

Well, your evidence is things like, "The guy writing the dialogue is a famous P&P writer". Yeah, and P&P doesn't really have much in the way of dialogue written for things, let alone dialogue trees. It's left up to the GMs to handle dialogue on the fly based on what other players say.

Hell, Bethesda had one of the guys who developed PARANOIA working as a designer on Oblivion. PARANOIA was one of the best P&P RPGs ever written, and yet..

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
jesus, bryce, that's a bit harsh - this isn't Bethesda.

Did you notice the 'you get more dialogue options if you have a high persuasion stat' for example...

Jesus bryce superstar.

' 'you get more dialogue options if you have a high persuasion stat'' what good does that do when they have been streamlined and combat is streamlined to never need pausing,a nd yet is supposed to be very tactical?

Yeah.

The poster here fails basic logic if he sees no contradictions there.

bryce777

Erudite
"We do want to modernize and speed up the combat though, which has too often become bogged down throughout the years." translation - combat will be simplistic and lame.

" While we do have a pause function that you can use at any time, be it to switch weapons or to take a potion, our aim is for the player to have to use it as little as possible. " Correction - ubelievably lame, with no brainpower required at all. Note the potion quaffing, as well - the mark of a shitty game when implemented poorly - it seems this will be diablo combat.

"In order to achieve this we're refining gameplay with such things as special party moves, quick shots" What is this mortal kombat.

"we don't want to force the player to plough through page after page of text in order to be able to follow the plot. We want to put an emphasis on short and vibrant dialogues.

The main quest is mostly linear... " Just what everyone was hoping for, I'm sure.

In short, your post makes little sense.

Temoid

Scholar
This DRAKENSANG sounds like a steaming pile of DRAKENSANG shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom