Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Common Misconceptions about DRAKENSANG

TotS

Novice
Well, I'd like to see some links to developers quotes (since I'm too lazy to search for myself), but scratch that...

Sir_Brennus said:
Ausrichtung des Spiels wohl auf ca 50% Kampf, 30% Interaktion, 20% Welterkundung[/qoute]
In plain english: the game will probably feature 50% combat, 30% interaction, 20% exploring.

Depending on the PR-Speak level one translation (and imnsho the likeliest) is:
"You'll be killing things (50% combat), while running around (20% exploring) and selling your phat loot at the local merchant, who might have a giant rat problem in his cellar 30% (interaction)."

Sir_Brennus said:
im Kampf wird man die unterschiedlichen Körperzonen treffen können und wohl auch direkt anzielen (Kopf, Arme, Beine usw.)
ipe: in combat you will be able to hit different body parts and probably be able to aim at them directly (head, arms, legs...)

It is based on a complex system which features options nonexistend in Dungeon Siege, e.g. disarming, critical hits, armour piercing hits, drops to unconciousness etc.

Targeting your "you can't play without pausing" argument. This smells at best like NWN-style RTwP and in this game I didn't have to pause combat in 99,5% of the time. Hotkeys FTW!!1one

Sir_Brennus said:
Die Kämpfe basieren auf dem DSA-Kampfrundensystem
ipe: the combat is based on the DA turn based combat system.

BG1/2 IWD1/2 were based on AD&D and NWN was based on D&D 3rd, which didn't prevent the developers from butchering it.

Sir_Brennus said:
Ähnlich wie die alten DSA-Spiele oder aber Baldurs Gate, soll das Spiel mit einem rundenbasierten Kampf aufwarten, der jederzeit vom Spieler angehalten werden kann. Da auch hier die DSA-Kampfregeln zur Verfügung verwendet werden, hängt das Ergebnis eines Kampfes nicht von den Action-Fähigkeiten des Spielers sondern von den Fähigkeiten der Charaktere ab. Das Resultat ist daher ein eher taktischer als actionlastiger Kampf.

ipe: Like the old Realms of Arcania games or Baldur's Gate the game will feature a turn based Combat, which can be paused by the player at any time. Because of the DA combat rules being available, the outcome of a battle does not depend on the action abilities of the player but on the skills of the characters. Thus the result is a more tactical than action-heavy combat.

I recommend searching for the terms "turn based" and "phase based" on this forums.

Sir_Brennus said:
first: you ignored ALL the evidence I put forward: especially everything that had to do with the track record of the authors and the overall setting and the fact, that the game's visual style is based on concept art for DA:

Their track record isn't really that important. If FanPro would be strictly supervising the development - maybe.
A hell lot more important is the track record of Radon Labs, who will be developing Drakensang, which isn't impressive.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Hi, I am an official beta tester of the game. I have been playing it for about a month, and I must say that it is the worst game I have ever tested.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Dir Sir,

My concern is directed solely towards the combat. I understand that if you want to make a super duper popular game in today’s world you need to not have TB combat. Saying the game is based on and has roots in TB combat doesn’t make it TB. I like actual, strategic, combat. I do not want a click fest. I do not want to pause. I do not want my guys and the bad guys to move all at once. I do not want to fight 7 billion weak enemies over and over and over.

I want memorable hard battles filled with planning and strategy. Like in my favorite games of all time for the PC, the RoA series. Those games were the pinnacle of rpgs for me. You are taking my favorite element of the game and bastardizing it. If you truly want to make authentic DSA game, put authentic DSA combat into it. You making the next DSA game a click-fest is a slap in my face. It’s an insult to all the fans of the first series. If you are going after the RT crowd, count me out.

I have no problem with anything but the combat. I would much rather have the option to create my whole party in the beginning, but that is a minor gripe compared to being told that the activity I will engage in 50% of the time will suck big fucking balls. I fucking despise RT combat in all its incarnations.

I have to put up with a bunch of freshman bitches sucking on the dick of fucking pansyass games with combat geared towards retards all fucking day. Every D&D game has RT now, every new IP game has RT, and everything has RT. If you really want to take us back to the roots of rpg gaming, include the combat every rpg has. Not some flashy clicky bullshit.

At least be man enough to leave the hype out. Stop trying to impress upon me that the combat will be strategic and tactical. Compared to what? Real TB combat? No. IE combat? Sure, but who gives a fuck? Tell us the whole truth and I would have received it with 100% gratitude and support. Say, “The combat we are aiming for, while falling far short of TB or even phased combat, is looking to vastly improve upon the RT model set forth by BG. It is far inferior to the combat an actual implementation of DSA combat would have provided, but we have families to feed and would like this game to be bought by a lot more people that would not have bought it if we included the actual combat of DSA. We apologize to the fans of the original series for this. But we understand that the fans of the original series of the DSA crpgs are older, wiser, have jobs, and understand how shit works, and that they will see why we made this decision. Adults are rational, and by treating you like adults we hope you will be rational enough to sadly accept our decision and still support our endeavor.”

If this, or any likeness to this, was said instead of the hype-filled drivel spouted out every chance you get when speaking of your combat I would have gladly supported your game. But now, in lieu of your company implementing the exact DSA combat from the source books exactly as it should be, I will not support your hypocrisy.

Linedog

Novice
vazquez595654 said:
Hi, I am an official beta tester of the game. I have been playing it for about a month, and I must say that it is the worst game I have ever tested.

Seriously ? If so, please expand.

Jason

chasing a bee
Hi vazquez595654 and welcome to our forums. Can you tell us if we will be able to sleep with the slaves in this game? Thank you.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Are you guys that fucking stupid? Jesus fucking Christ. Hey guys, I'm an alien. nanoo nanoo.

Jason

chasing a bee
vazquez595654 has never lied to me before, Roqua. I trust him with my life and the lives of my family. It's a bond that can never be broken by your hurtful words.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Have I ever lied to you? I travel around the cosmos in an egg. I was born old and I'm growing younger. I hail from Ork. My space suit has a triangle on it. I am also a beta tester of this game that is 15% done.

Drakron

Arcane
Jormungand scores a critical hit!
Jormungand scores a critical hit!
Jormungand hits Roqua for 17,876 points of damage.
Jormungand hits baby arm for 18,006 points of damage.
Roqua was defeated by Jormungand
baby arm was defeated by Jormungand

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Hi vazquez595654 and welcome to our forums. Can you tell us if we will be able to sleep with the slaves in this game? Thank you.

Well, I am not allowed to talk about that yet, but trust me it's going to be awesome.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Have I ever lied to you? I travel around the cosmos in an egg. I was born old and I'm growing younger. I hail from Ork. My space suit has a triangle on it. I am also a beta tester of this game that is 15% done.

I think you're lying about this.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, there is no way he actually has a triangle thingy on his space suit. Sounds totally made up.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Roqua said:
Dir Sir,

My concern is directed solely towards the combat. I understand that if you want to make a super duper popular game in today’s world you need to not have TB combat. Saying the game is based on and has roots in TB combat doesn’t make it TB. I like actual, strategic, combat. I do not want a click fest. I do not want to pause. I do not want my guys and the bad guys to move all at once. I do not want to fight 7 billion weak enemies over and over and over.

I want memorable hard battles filled with planning and strategy. Like in my favorite games of all time for the PC, the RoA series. Those games were the pinnacle of rpgs for me. You are taking my favorite element of the game and bastardizing it. If you truly want to make authentic DSA game, put authentic DSA combat into it. You making the next DSA game a click-fest is a slap in my face. It’s an insult to all the fans of the first series. If you are going after the RT crowd, count me out.

I have no problem with anything but the combat. I would much rather have the option to create my whole party in the beginning, but that is a minor gripe compared to being told that the activity I will engage in 50% of the time will suck big fucking balls. I fucking despise RT combat in all its incarnations.

I have to put up with a bunch of freshman bitches sucking on the dick of fucking pansyass games with combat geared towards retards all fucking day. Every D&D game has RT now, every new IP game has RT, and everything has RT. If you really want to take us back to the roots of rpg gaming, include the combat every rpg has. Not some flashy clicky bullshit.

At least be man enough to leave the hype out. Stop trying to impress upon me that the combat will be strategic and tactical. Compared to what? Real TB combat? No. IE combat? Sure, but who gives a fuck? Tell us the whole truth and I would have received it with 100% gratitude and support. Say, “The combat we are aiming for, while falling far short of TB or even phased combat, is looking to vastly improve upon the RT model set forth by BG. It is far inferior to the combat an actual implementation of DSA combat would have provided, but we have families to feed and would like this game to be bought by a lot more people that would not have bought it if we included the actual combat of DSA. We apologize to the fans of the original series for this. But we understand that the fans of the original series of the DSA crpgs are older, wiser, have jobs, and understand how shit works, and that they will see why we made this decision. Adults are rational, and by treating you like adults we hope you will be rational enough to sadly accept our decision and still support our endeavor.”

If this, or any likeness to this, was said instead of the hype-filled drivel spouted out every chance you get when speaking of your combat I would have gladly supported your game. But now, in lieu of your company implementing the exact DSA combat from the source books exactly as it should be, I will not support your hypocrisy.

Of course I am of your opinion. I actually love TB style (and I know the difference between turn-based and phased-base very well - I just translated the comment of the "hard facts" section - boooo!). I just bought "Hammer & Sickle" and "Nightwatch" and will play them as soon as my pupils got their grades from me.

I played all 3 of the Realms of Arcania games, but couldn't finish "Riva" because of a now well known bug, which preventend the game from triggering the Keep Quest. Combat at least in Parts 2 and 3 were great and would have loved to see it in Drakensang.

I only want the principle of the doubt working in both directions - as I said: I am a cautious optimist and no typical codexer who never was happy about a game since the day Fallout (1) came out.

btw: I am not a developer of Radeon Labs. I actually do not post in their forums, because it's filled up with fanboys already.

@Claw
ooh, snap!

honest: you tend to hang around the pits of hell aka nma-fallout? a nutcase called masterbater once quoted one of my articles from the webside I write for. I wrote some harsh words about the NMA. Good thing is that that place improved a lot since Roshambo has gone to hell...

kris

Arcane
Sir_Brennus said:
Second: It is a fact that the dialogue will be extensive and that it will be bound by the rules of the p&p version.

Wait here are you saying there are dialogue rules in a PnP? Or do you only refer to the "bribe/persuasion" skills?

Twinfalls

Erudite
@bryce - yeah, you're kinda right (hey, there's your tv show - welcome to the New Bryce is Right!), with the crap detection.

Face it, Sir Brennus - we've got it straight from das Pferd's mouth: Linear MQ, short dialogues, and GOD DAMNED CLICK-FUCKY "STREAMLINED" RT COMBAT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom