Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
OpenMW + Purist + MOP is enough for a faithful vanilla experience.

There are so many great mods out there, gameplay mods, visual mods, immersion mods... no need to use just 3 out of 50.000 mods

For starters everyone should play with BCOM, probably the best mod ever created

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Open MW does it's own thing. Mods are optional. Aside from unofficial patch you can install whatever you like. Or not.

I actually did some testing with shaders and OpenMW has some weird lighting I dont like, makes it look like some 2010 far cry game

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
no mod that makes morrowind feel like a living world, it's all window dressing, unforch

There actually is, ure just a crybaby

Guard Patrols - adds guard patrols to the wilderness (appropriate faction to appropriate regions which is very cool)
Travelling Merchants - ditto
Guar Riders - ditto
Walkers - static NPCs in wilderness now freely wander their cells
Holidays of Vvardenfell - reccuring festivals in towns
NPC conversations - NPCs talk like in Oblivion
Lua NPC schedules
Lua Nightime locks
NPC clothing randomizer
Yet Another Guard Diversity
abot's mods add scenic Silt Striders and Gondoliers
vonwolfe's Ashlander mods gives voiced AI greetings in different languages
etc. etc.

(I suggest to avoid traditional pop modules but Repopulated Morrowind and Bustling Vivec are kind of light)

Fargus

Arcane
Enderal devs: "Let's make something cool of our own and actually finish it."
Skywind devs: "Let's remake Morrowind in 20 years because original gaem is old. :retarded:"

None

Scholar
no mod that makes morrowind feel like a living world, it's all window dressing, unforch

Guard Patrols - adds guard patrols to the wilderness (appropriate faction to appropriate regions which is very cool)
Guar Riders - ditto
Lua NPC schedules
Lua Nightime locks
NPC clothing randomizer
etc. etc.

(I suggest to avoid traditional pop modules but Repopulated Morrowind and Bustling Vivec are kind of light)
Randomly changing NPC clothes is superficial. As is adding more generic NPCs, different versions of generic NPCs, disabling/teleporting outdoor NPCs during the night, etc. Window dressing is an accurate term, as doing anything beyond that isn't simple. All of the game's quests and NPCs were originally developed with a static world in mind so the entire thing would need a redesign to add any real sense of the world being alive. Imagine having Morag Tong writ targets be mobile instead of standing in the same spot for infinity waiting to be killed. Even getting the functionality to have NPCs move around intelligently is probably only possible in OpenMW right now because of pathfinding woes in vanilla.

I still have yet to see one mod tackle the challenge adequately. I've tried it myself and came to the above conclusion. Even assuming the required functionalities can be implemented you'd still have a lot of work to do redesigning many quests, NPCs, and other elements to account for them.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You know whats crazy? Went to check out some Stalker mods on Nexus and noticed they barely got any mods in the last month. Meanwhile Morrowind gets mods released EVERY DAY. Crazy

Cologno

Educated

Guar Riders - ditto
Lua NPC schedules
Lua Nightime locks
NPC clothing randomizer
etc. etc.

Randomly changing NPC clothes is superficial. As is adding more generic NPCs, different versions of generic NPCs, disabling/teleporting outdoor NPCs during the night, etc. Window dressing is an accurate term, as doing anything beyond that isn't simple. All of the game's quests and NPCs were originally developed with a static world in mind so the entire thing would need a redesign to add any real sense of the world being alive. Imagine having Morag Tong writ targets be mobile instead of standing in the same spot for infinity waiting to be killed. Even getting the functionality to have NPCs move around intelligently is probably only possible in OpenMW right now because of pathfinding woes in vanilla.

I still have yet to see one mod tackle the challenge adequately. I've tried it myself and came to the above conclusion. Even assuming the required functionalities can be implemented you'd still have a lot of work to do redesigning many quests, NPCs, and other elements to account for them.
So you two should go play the game you actually want to play. Probably with and to each other.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Finished Dagoth Ur last night, with a save game going back... 5 years or so. Just pecking away here and there, and finally decided to finish that game recently. Think it's the Horators line that just kills all progress. For me, thats the dullest point in the game, but so close to the end. But I love starting up new games just to meet Crasus Curio and get the dweomer puzzlebox all the same. For those more familiar, just a question if you'll humor me:

Kind of thinking about it as I spoke to Vivec and then to Dagoth Ur. Any way to determine how Neverar was actually killed? There are conflicting reports, and Vivec denies it, but I couldn't ask Dagoth Ur.

Hagashager

Educated
Finished Dagoth Ur last night, with a save game going back... 5 years or so. Just pecking away here and there, and finally decided to finish that game recently. Think it's the Horators line that just kills all progress. For me, thats the dullest point in the game, but so close to the end. But I love starting up new games just to meet Crasus Curio and get the dweomer puzzlebox all the same. For those more familiar, just a question if you'll humor me:

Kind of thinking about it as I spoke to Vivec and then to Dagoth Ur. Any way to determine how Neverar was actually killed? There are conflicting reports, and Vivec denies it, but I couldn't ask Dagoth Ur.
It's left intentionally vague how Nerevar was killed. The closest explanation, maybe, is that Almalexia gave him a poisoned robe then Vivec impaled him with a spear (that may or may not have been his penis).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You can skip the Hortator quests if you have a Reputation of 50.
The Archcanon of the Tribunal will summon you and then you can proceed with the main quest.

Ash

Arcane
I will never play Morrowind with "distant lands". Well, I use it for the shaders and such, and because many mods are based on it, but set it to draw only 1 cell at a time. The limited draw distance is integral to the experience, making navigation much harder and also not revealing how ugly the whole thing is. People that play with distant land rendering are decline loving losers!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The limited draw distance is integral to the experience

This is true, I keep the default cell distance too

The devs used fog and terrain (ridges, etc.) to great effect, Vvardenfell is a tiny island but seems much larger than it is

Saldrone

Novice
Is there a good reason to use a second melee weapon skill as a combat-oriented character? i don't se much reasons to switch to an axe/blunt weapon when i could just use a sword that i invested more skill points on

Ash

Arcane
There is plenty reason to use other melee weapons, and that is the optimization of level up multipliers. So unless you didn't mod the levelling system into a totally different design (which is a popular but dumb choice), then that.

Weapon degredation also should, in good practice, encourage using a varied set of weapons, but found weapons + repair hammers are too plentiful & degredation rate too merciful for that really to be relevant.

The only thing the levelling system needs is to be nerfed. Which I made a mod for. Max multiplier of x3 after 10 skill-ups, not x5. This slows the rate into godhood status, which vanilla you'll easily reach around level 30 and only 40% of the island charted, quests completed etc. Best paired with a mod that divorces HP level up based on endurance/makes it retroactively increase max HP.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is there a good reason to use a second melee weapon skill as a combat-oriented character? i don't se much reasons to switch to an axe/blunt weapon when i could just use a sword that i invested more skill points on
Long Blades include some of the most powerful weapons in the game.
A lot of great artifacts such as Chrysamere and Ice Blade of The Monarch, to say nothing of the base weapons like the Daedric Claymore or Dai-Katana.
If you need one good combat skill, you can't go wrong with Long Blade.
Blunt Weapon is another really good combat skill. Some nice heavy hitters here - Skull Crusher, Mace of Molag Bal (also has some nice enchantments on it, including a unique absorb magicka effect), Sunder (crazy enchantments on it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom