Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Caim

Arcane
Apparently you can do some really funny stuff with the Heart of Lorkhan.

Ash

Arcane
If you need one good combat skill, you can't go wrong with Long Blade.

!? Spear is easily the best melee class for two reasons: tied to max hp increase on level up (spear is the only weapon class governed by endurance) so you have heavy incentive to focus on spear from the get-go (big oversight on bethesda's part), and spears have the longest reach which is useful in many ways.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If you need one good combat skill, you can't go wrong with Long Blade.

!? Spear is easily the best melee class for two reasons: tied to max hp increase on level up (spear is the only weapon class governed by endurance) so you have heavy incentive to focus on spear from the get-go (big oversight on bethesda's part), and spears have the longest reach which is useful in many ways.
To each his own.
Though I agree that the reach granted by the Spear provides a considerable tactical advantage.
Also you only need one Spear - Spear of Bitter Mercy (though you have to do Sheogorath's quest to get it).

Ash

Arcane
Sorry, no difference of opinion. Spear is objectively the best. The significance of those two things far outshines all other melee.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Finished Dagoth Ur last night, with a save game going back... 5 years or so. Just pecking away here and there, and finally decided to finish that game recently. Think it's the Horators line that just kills all progress. For me, thats the dullest point in the game, but so close to the end. But I love starting up new games just to meet Crasus Curio and get the dweomer puzzlebox all the same. For those more familiar, just a question if you'll humor me:

Kind of thinking about it as I spoke to Vivec and then to Dagoth Ur. Any way to determine how Neverar was actually killed? There are conflicting reports, and Vivec denies it, but I couldn't ask Dagoth Ur.
There's also Sermon 29 in the 36 Lessons of Vivec, and the secret message hidden therein.

Beware, explicit spoilers:
Solving the code gets you what seems to be a confession by Vivec to killing Nerevar and taking his divine power.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Dagoth Ur last night, with a save game going back... 5 years or so. Just pecking away here and there, and finally decided to finish that game recently. Think it's the Horators line that just kills all progress. For me, thats the dullest point in the game, but so close to the end. But I love starting up new games just to meet Crasus Curio and get the dweomer puzzlebox all the same. For those more familiar, just a question if you'll humor me:

Kind of thinking about it as I spoke to Vivec and then to Dagoth Ur. Any way to determine how Neverar was actually killed? There are conflicting reports, and Vivec denies it, but I couldn't ask Dagoth Ur.
There's also Sermon 29 in the 36 Lessons of Vivec, and the secret message hidden therein.

Beware, explicit spoilers:
Solving the code gets you what seems to be a confession by Vivec to killing Nerevar and taking his divine power.
Not just Vivec, but the entire Tribunal betrayed Nerevar.
Though Vivec was most likely the one who killed him.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sorry, no difference of opinion. Spear is objectively the best. The significance of those two things far outshines all other melee.
Spears are all 2 handed so you can't pair them with block. Spears also have relatively low damage for being 2 handed, the other 2 handed options tend to have roughly 50% more max damage, at least for the daedric variant.

Ash

Arcane
Don't need block nor raw damage output when the enemies can't even reach you. Keep spamming thrusts while backing up. Or attack from higher elevation where they can't reach you.

Ash

Arcane
Yes. Magic. Cramped encounters (dungeon entry). Archers. Falling damage, drowning damage etc. Max HP is always good.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
But you need the max HP increase you leveled up spear for?
Most effective strategy is to just maximize your Endurance early on and as soon as possible.
Heavy Armor (governed by Endurance) is a good choice for this, as is the Spear skill (also governed by Endurance).
10x skill increases = 5 Endurance Attribute Points to distribute during a Level Up.

Ash

Arcane
There are mods to remove this/make HP retroactively apply regardless of when you level up endurance. This is a must to actually free spear from melee dominance. As-is, spamming spear from the get-go is a no-brainer.

Saldrone

Novice
Man, the way how you could sell Dark Brotherhood armour due to how easy to kill those assassins are and obtaining and a full set of Orcish armour fairly early with cheese tactics pretty much trivializes the sense of economic struggle at early game

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Man, the way how you could sell Dark Brotherhood armour due to how easy to kill those assassins are and obtaining and a full set of Orcish armour fairly early with cheese tactics pretty much trivializes the sense of economic struggle at early game
Wouldn't be an issue, if Bethesda Softworks had simply placed a minimum level requirement on the initial assassination attempt. :M

Fargus

Arcane
On shitbox version of the game minimum level is 6. On pc there is none. Later in the game you meet more powerful versions of the DB assassins as you level up. They should have just tied it to a certain point of the main quest without baring you from visiting Mournhold. Or just had better premise for assassinations and the Tribunal main quest... i don't know.

Helseth going apeshit over some newly arrived prisoner in Vvardenfell makes no sense.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ring of Toxic Cloud
Never used it.
What does it do?
Cast When Used
Poison Poison 2-60 pts in 20ft for 10 secs on Touch

This is just one of many enchanted items the game gives you as a quest reward, and it's cooler than literally every item in Skyrim. Removing castable enchantments was the single biggest decline after Morrowind and I'll die on this hill.
Damn, that's really good!
Though one has to be careful using it when fighting enemies with Spell Reflect...

Wouldn't be an issue, if Bethesda Softworks had simply placed a minimum level requirement on the initial assassination attempt. :M
On shitbox version of the game minimum level is 6. On pc there is none. Later in the game you meet more powerful versions of the DB assassins as you level up. They should have just tied it to a certain point of the main quest without baring you from visiting Mournhold. Or just had better premise for assassinations and the Tribunal main quest... i don't know.

Helseth going apeshit over some newly arrived prisoner in Vvardenfell makes no sense.
This is why you always use the expansion delay mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom