Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Fargus

Arcane
First time time you can go with bare minimum of mods. Just some QoL stuff like purist patch.

I stopped graphic whoring some years ago, all i usually have for graphic mods are upscaled textures and familiar faces + vsbr to have slightly better face meshes and seamless clothed bodies similar to vanilla, just less wooden looking. Though i could do with some nice looking low poly 'touch grass' mods, kinda cool when you walk around in grazelands or west gash region and ground cover has collision. But i'm too lazy to install it.

First time time you can go with bare minimum of mods. Just some QoL stuff like purist patch.

I stopped graphic whoring some years ago, all i usually have for graphic mods are upscaled textures and familiar faces + vsbr to have slightly better face meshes and seamless clothed bodies similar to vanilla, just less wooden looking. Though i could do with some nice looking low poly 'touch grass' mods, kinda cool when you walk around in grazelands or west gash region and ground cover has collision. But i'm too lazy to install it.
I was going to recommend Patch for Purists as well. PC Gaming Wiki also has more. I would also add the expansion delay, better fonts, and Morrowind Optimization Patch.

Poseidon00

Arcane
how did you do this

It's just OpenMW mate with like 3 mods. TR, some shaders for HDR and volumetric clouds, upscaled textures.

Guess i'm finally converting then. I played through the first time with close-to vanilla graphics, I wouldn't mind something different.

This time I swear i'm going to go as a pure magic user and not maximizing hand to hand in the first hour like I always do.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
One of the things I hate about the vanilla engine is the "white mountains" phenomenon which occurs in view distance.

Morrowind_2024-04-03_00.12.40.196.png

It is unfixable due to engine limitations. You can only address it somewhat with the Weather Adjuster mod. But under OpenMW this problem doesn't even exist.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Can you give me some examples? I never noticed this in game.

I could easily fix this shit with photoshop.

Assuming you use vanilla heads + VSBR bodies, it can be seen on naked characters. Look at their neck and where it connects with the head.

VSBR also has some clipping issues with Better Clothes. I remember I stuck with vanilla bodies in the end.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
how did you do this

It's just OpenMW mate with like 3 mods. TR, some shaders for HDR and volumetric clouds, upscaled textures.

Guess i'm finally converting then. I played through the first time with close-to vanilla graphics, I wouldn't mind something different.

Me too and I was a lifelong advocate of MGE XE / MCP

Check these out:

Screenshot_2024-03-20_151015.png

Screenshot_2024-03-30_035123.png

You just get a great looking game with much, much less effort I think. But as far as gameplay mods go, vanilla is still the king.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
And let us show vanilla some love...

This is some tropical water shader I used years ago, unfortunately it got deleted with the old Bethesda forums:

nthdU6R.jpg

Advanced materials via the MGE XE PBR prototype:

sMlqYf6.jpg

Vanilla can still look great, but it's a lot of hustle and potentially yields lower FPS. And you can never have volumetric shaders nor native support for normal maps / PBR.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Guess i'm finally converting then.
Me too and I was a lifelong advocate of MGE XE / MCP

Did some digging

Apparently OpenMW is better for graphics, MWSE is better for gameplay as it allows some intricate mods. As a rule of thumb

Both completely playable and roughly run the same with the same stability

OpenMW is better for the Province mods (P:C and S:HotN) because of floating point precision (distance from 0,0 cell)

Vanilla slightly better for TR

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom