Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
VZpXD0G.png

delusion; the
A delusion is a false fixed belief that is not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence.
Lmao what a fail, dude's not on a cliff and there's no sea of fog.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
delusion; the
A delusion is a false fixed belief that is not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence.
Lmao what a fail, dude's not on a cliff and there's no sea of fog.

Their inspiring presence is so great, it inspired other derivative works that cannot help but draw from their example.

Does the cover have a shadowed person on it? Unknown Realm!

Are there trees or grass? Unknown Realm!

Mountains? Clouds? Water???

Unknown, Fucking, Realm!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
VZpXD0G.png

delusion; the
Brought to you by the Ultima-Dependent Investment Cult who believed Richard made up the Virtues all on his own and was completely original about it.

Most of those useful marketing muppets are still in denial of PLATO being from where their mousefucking messiah who created the genre of Computer RPGs (he did not) lifted all of his shit with just enough D&D and Tolkien scraped back out to not get his ass sued off when he started selling it.

Which would make Deathlord and why RG threw a fit about copyright so hilarious.

While we're discussing who did what first, some other kids invented the MMO when RG was supposedly creating the CRPG genre.

:hmmm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(1979_video_game)

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
Ted Nasmith? That's interesting. I'm rather sceptical that this game will ever come out, but I can't also abandon the thought that tihs might be a masterpiece in the making, becausae masterpieces take time.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Ted Nasmith? That's interesting. I'm rather sceptical that this game will ever come out, but I can't also abandon the thought that tihs might be a masterpiece in the making, becausae masterpieces take time.
They certainly do.

https://winchestermysteryhouse.com/

With a SEUCK bungup and JollyDisk as the only two other titles by Shitstirring Dragon Games, this makes for a beautiful contrast to bootles' wishful taint polishing over at Lemon64 about how revolutionary this title is (mirroring the devs' delusion) when there's nothing about the game to discuss but failure.

If there was a game, these two numbnuts and everyone else would have something to discuss besides bad narcissism from cult leader and followers.

Lore, locations, organizations, characters, backstory, mechanics, literally fucking anything besides screenshots seven years stillborn.

These two obviously know how, they backed actual successful projects who can update with detail, but they would rather give dodgy advice to other dodgy Dunning-Kreuger Effect developers who took money and encouragement into something they can't deliver.

Bruce and Laura know exactly how to fix this: They can post a real KS update for everyone.

I'll make it easy for them, 1 of each:

Game mechanic
Bestiary/Enemy

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I'd bet on that old dude finishing his Telengard clone he started in the 80s before these clowns write one line of code.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Bruce should personally know by now that just screenshots don't satisfy the wife - unless it was the mailman who "delivered" those kids while Bruce took pictures from the corner.
:mixedemotions:

Last edited:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
That's why trolling them is pointless. They'll just twist what you say into what they want to hear.

As far as having an artist paint their title screen art, it's like... So what? I could pay an artist (hopefully Ted's check cleared) to paint something.

It's meaningless. It's cosmetic work. It isn't THE GAME. That's what the farce with this whole Kickstarter/project has been, all appearance and screenshots and promises and NOTHING OF ACTUAL SUBSTANCE.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's why trolling them is pointless. They'll just twist what you say into what they want to hear.

As far as having an artist paint their title screen art, it's like... So what? I could pay an artist (hopefully Ted's check cleared) to paint something.

It's meaningless. It's cosmetic work. It isn't THE GAME. That's what the farce with this whole Kickstarter/project has been, all appearance and screenshots and promises and NOTHING OF ACTUAL SUBSTANCE.

I don't know, the smarmy jackass being smug is pretty substantive. Must really piss someone off who gave them money.

:avatard:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

I don't know, the smarmy jackass being smug is pretty substantive. Must really piss someone off who gave them money.

:avatard:
Indeed it would. That's been their pattern for seven years, in fact. Belittling, gaslighting, and treating their KS investors like total garbage.

Generally, as someone who was refunded (not by choice, pretty sure it was to purge my KS comments out) I try to tune them out. (Obviously I'm human so I don't always succeed.) The Lemon64 thread shows what happens, eventually the lack of information just leads to endless speculation, anger, trolling, thread locks, etc. Better to spend energy elsewhere.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Indeed it would. That's been their pattern for seven years, in fact. Belittling, gaslighting, and treating their KS investors like total garbage.

Generally, as someone who was refunded (not by choice, pretty sure it was to purge my KS comments out) I try to tune them out. (Obviously I'm human so I don't always succeed.) The Lemon64 thread shows what happens, eventually the lack of information just leads to endless speculation, anger, trolling, thread locks, etc. Better to spend energy elsewhere.
You're not alone - the official Twitter/X account has less than 400 followers and their personals hover around 1k - about 1/10 or less of what their peers actual game developers/games are at. From engagement rates, those numbers are not exactly fans waiting for almost 4 years since the last real update.

So influential!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Do they even still post daily er weekly.. er monthly… uh once in a fuck moon on X?
January's screenshot appears to be just boomer maymay. Before then, a reposting of the November screenshot at the beginning of December and then some JollyDisk around the time for the December screenshot. Truly going into the effort to earn that sub-400 follower count. Just like this title's eternal state in vaporware, you really aren't missing a fucking thing.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe he’s raising money so they do an Unknown Realm video in the Hazbin hotel Amazon show. Maybe they can buy a piece of digital real estate.

Or maybe they’re digging out of dumpsters at McDonalds with a sign on the corner of Walmarts

“Need money to develop Unknown Realms!”

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Went back through the Lemon64 thread while on a trail walk for some highlights by adamantyr and others for some of SDG's claims.

It made me realize that if SDG aren't grifting they have pretty well absolutely fucked themselves by ruining the entire point of having their KS.
  • C64 nostalgia was the main draw, especially the C64 carts.
  • Cart development is EXPEN$IVE, especially for custom burns.
  • The KS funding allocation for "Shipping" and "Backer Rewards" could have shared the costs for cartridge development with "Production & Operations" but it seems more likely that the cartridge production would have been the core of the money they would have had available after all cuts. It obviously wasn't intended for much of the claimed year of remaining development that turned into seven.
  • Shortly after the KS, development switched from C64 to PC taking priority before anything else, so much for the claims of full time development since 2012 and KS claims of native C64 development and their "Anvil platform" to emulate on PC :lol: - C64 development that will need to be done to make their custom C64 carts because it is integral to their C64 engine.
  • PC development has been in "internal testing" since 2018, according to several backer correspondences with SDG. Six years later...
  • Side Note: SDG scrubbed their Discord when it was discovered they were shit-talking Skald, which kind of goes with some of the narcissistic Twitter/X inspiration meltdowns.
  • Now have no more money to do "full time development" as they claimed has been underway since 2012.

So here's the magical problem that puts SDG's production right back to where they were before the KS:
  • SDG still owe and haven't produced any of the main point of their Kickstarter, the C64 cartridges for the C64 version that will now be ported after the PC version is released.
  • Everyone who backed the C64 version will have to wait for SDG to make enough money from potential PC sales to actually do the backer rewards, ship anything, or pretty much any reason why this title was supposedly so "noteworthy" and "inspirational".
  • Even worse, resumed C64 development to fulfill those obligations once they can afford to would be in direct competition with the PC version's post-release support phase.

More likely, the C64 backers will be told to go pound sand:
One last thing to keep in mind regarding the C64 version of Unknown Realm: our budget only covers a limited run of these cartridges and they are offered as a Kickstarter exclusive. We have no plans to manufacture additional cartridges later or maintain an inventory to sell after Kickstarter rewards ship.
What supposedly started out as a natively-developed C64 game is only getting a KS-limited run of the cartridges that will be the only form to play the game on C64, and now they can't even deliver that gimmick in the foreseeable future.

RIP

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nox Archaist and Realms of Antiquity are what these grifters are pretending to make, including physical releases, and both have been available for years.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
SDG sucks dick. There are still companies producing physical media for enthused buyers. I could probably make a short list but I’m pretty sure there are a few.

Viata

Arcane
Not even barely a butthair compared to Cleve then. But he has rep and they have nothing.

He had also released three beta versions between 1998 and 2005, the latter being a basically content-complete game.
The remaining dev time was all spent on writing the manual.
Not really. The game when was released had a bug that made it impossible to finish it. I remember asking Cleve to fix it so I could finish the game.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Went back through the Lemon64 thread while on a trail walk for some highlights by adamantyr and others for some of SDG's claims.

It made me realize that if SDG aren't grifting they have pretty well absolutely fucked themselves by ruining the entire point of having their KS.
  • C64 nostalgia was the main draw, especially the C64 carts.
  • Cart development is EXPEN$IVE, especially for custom burns.
  • The KS funding allocation for "Shipping" and "Backer Rewards" could have shared the costs for cartridge development with "Production & Operations" but it seems more likely that the cartridge production would have been the core of the money they would have had available after all cuts. It obviously wasn't intended for much of the claimed year of remaining development that turned into seven.
  • Shortly after the KS, development switched from C64 to PC taking priority before anything else, so much for the claims of full time development since 2012 and KS claims of native C64 development and their "Anvil platform" to emulate on PC :lol: - C64 development that will need to be done to make their custom C64 carts because it is integral to their C64 engine.
  • PC development has been in "internal testing" since 2018, according to several backer correspondences with SDG. Six years later...
  • Side Note: SDG scrubbed their Discord when it was discovered they were shit-talking Skald, which kind of goes with some of the narcissistic Twitter/X inspiration meltdowns.
  • Now have no more money to do "full time development" as they claimed has been underway since 2012.

So here's the magical problem that puts SDG's production right back to where they were before the KS:
  • SDG still owe and haven't produced any of the main point of their Kickstarter, the C64 cartridges for the C64 version that will now be ported after the PC version is released.
  • Everyone who backed the C64 version will have to wait for SDG to make enough money from potential PC sales to actually do the backer rewards, ship anything, or pretty much any reason why this title was supposedly so "noteworthy" and "inspirational".
  • Even worse, resumed C64 development to fulfill those obligations once they can afford to would be in direct competition with the PC version's post-release support phase.

More likely, the C64 backers will be told to go pound sand:
One last thing to keep in mind regarding the C64 version of Unknown Realm: our budget only covers a limited run of these cartridges and they are offered as a Kickstarter exclusive. We have no plans to manufacture additional cartridges later or maintain an inventory to sell after Kickstarter rewards ship.
What supposedly started out as a natively-developed C64 game is only getting a KS-limited run of the cartridges that will be the only form to play the game on C64, and now they can't even deliver that gimmick in the foreseeable future.

RIP
A good summation of it.

Now one curious thing I just noticed is that they clearly delineate their PC 8-bit engine, Anvil, from Unknown Realm itself:
Our custom built game engine is currently in an alpha state as is our enhanced retro PC platform that will be used to run the game on modern systems.

Followed by:

The game itself is currently in a pre-alpha state and nearing feature completion. The game world and locations are already designed, although names and such are subject to change. The bulk of the remaining development time on the game side will be spent finishing game levels, puzzles, NPC dialog, and the normal play-testing and bug fixing.
At this stage, the game itself is already in pre-alpha and most of the major technology hurdles have already been cleared.

The thing is, we haven't heard a single word about "Anvil" since the KS campaign ended. And it doesn't even come up on their rare Twitter/X posts.

It honestly sounds like they thought they could market and sell the engine over the actual game.

Viata

Arcane
It's funny. If the engine was finished, they could release it and become more famous than they expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom