Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Troika Closes Its Doors

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Vol's lips are stiched onto Bio's pecker"

That explains why i ticked them off so much that i got banned from theere (though I was innocent!), been called names by Gaider, have said SOu is overrated, made fun of KOTOR's easy combat, and attacked its inventroy and control systems. Not to mention, I am such a fanboy i dared to rate the OC the perfect 75%! :roll:

triCritical

Erudite
DM client IMO is not even part of the fucking game. Big deal, you put a human in the loop? Does that mean its OK to have a really shitty story, crappy AI, crappy combat, crappy ass random item generators, crappy looking generic buildings, crappy story and all the other crappy things that went along with NWN.

Oh for the record, Masquerade would still be the more revolutionary since it paved the way for Bioware to gravytrain and learn from the mistakes.

EDIT: The story was so bad, I had to diss it twice. LOL, you need to go get magicks stuff from the four corners of Neverwinter. LOL, Never winter is a box and each magicks stuff mysteriosly entropied to each disctinct corner. HOW FUCKING STUPID.

bryce777

Erudite
Volourn said:
BL was about an 8 to me. The first Vampire was much, much lower. It had absolutely no redeeming qualities, imo. The only thing about the game that was even worth mentioning was it was the first game to have a DM client. Other than that, it was nothing and since the DM Client went nowhere it was pretty much worthless.

NWN's DM Client actually matters; as it is an obvious success that future games can actually learns from. it says a lot when people are still using the DM Client at a reasonable pace. Not like it's overfloating with users; but still much more solid than Vampire's.

"Volourn and I have been arguing since before you were born, so WTF?"

LOL You tell him.

Well, I think the only lesson they will take is that only about 1 in 100 people remotely cares about that type of gameplay, if they take any lesson from it.

You can also run a pretty good game of PnP DnD from a chat room, but finding good people is always the problem.

Fez

Erudite
I remember someone showing that more people played NWN offline than online, even the people who only got the OC. It's something like one third play online on average. That even happens with games like Tribes 2, which was made for online gaming and included a tiny poorly made SP tutorial campaign.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Oh for the record, Masquerade would still be the more revolutionary since it paved the way for Bioware to gravytrain and learn from the mistakes."

No. That would make it more 'original'. Revolutions actually have to do soemthing that accomplish stuff; not utterly fail.

"DM client IMO is not even part of the fucking game."

yes, it is. It's part of the package we all paid for, dumbass.

"Does that mean its OK to have a really shitty story, crappy AI, crappy combat, crappy ass random item generators, crappy looking generic buildings, crappy story and all the other crappy things that went along with NWN."

All opinion froma guy who thinks TB combat = TRUE Role-playing. Let me laugh some.

"I remember someone showing that more people played NWN offline than online, even the people who only got the OC. It's something like one third play online on average. That even happens with games like Tribes 2, which was made for online gaming and included a tiny poorly made SP tutorial campaign."

True. I never said a majority used it.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Does that mean its OK to have a really shitty story, crappy AI, crappy combat, crappy ass random item generators, crappy looking generic buildings, crappy story and all the other crappy things that went along with NWN."

All opinion froma guy who thinks TB combat = TRUE Role-playing. Let me laugh some.

Arcanum was just as Turnbased as NWN. Funny how I keep on saying how great Arcanum was and how bad its combat is. Seems like your the dumbass, dumbass.

Fez

Erudite
I wasn't arguing against you Volourn, just thought it was an interesting fact.

triCritical

Erudite
bryce777 said:
triCritical said:
Major_Blackhart said:
So was FO1 revolutionary then?

damn straight, most revolutionary since SSI games.

Hey, I just realized we are neighbors.

Do you work in Huntington Beach and live in Corona? Sorry if you do because the commute is a volourn... err I mean bitch! I hope you mean you are not my boss, and you are pissed off that I am using the companies bandwidth to write this. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Arcanum was just as Turnbased as NWN. Funny how I keep on saying how great Arcanum was and how bad its combat is. Seems like your the dumbass, dumbass."

Eh? What kind of bullshit is that? Arcanum could be played in TB mode, dummy. In fact, that's how I played it except in one battle which was literally impossible (for me) in TB in the early going.

"We should form a party, trek north to canada, and beat volourn senseless with teniss rackets"

644 Lakeshore Dr Unit 36, North Bay, Ontario, Kanada.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
"DM client IMO is not even part of the fucking game."

yes, it is. It's part of the package we all paid for, dumbass.

Forgot to resond to this? Hey you paid for the box and the instruction manual is that part of the game? What about the .ini file is that part of the game? How about the third party install shield which is a completely different program is that part of the game? What about the uninstaller? Is the scripting engine part of the game? And if I write scripts on word pad, would word pad be part of the game that I did not pay for. And if I downloaded a game like HL2 and did not get a box or a manual, would they not be part of the game for me, but part of the game for people that bought it at as store.

Twit.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Arcanum was just as Turnbased as NWN. Funny how I keep on saying how great Arcanum was and how bad its combat is. Seems like your the dumbass, dumbass."

Eh? What kind of bullshit is that? Arcanum could be played in TB mode, dummy. In fact, that's how I played it except in one battle which was literally impossible (for me) in TB in the early going.

Yeah and I can pause NWN after every round, its the same difference. Arcanum was not TB, it was a real time game that had a built in pause feature. Ever wonder why the AI only makes sense if you are playing the game in RT. Of course thinking is hard for you.

bryce777

Erudite
triCritical said:
bryce777 said:
triCritical said:
Major_Blackhart said:
So was FO1 revolutionary then?

damn straight, most revolutionary since SSI games.

Hey, I just realized we are neighbors.

Do you work in Huntington Beach and live in Corona? Sorry if you do because the commute is a volourn... err I mean bitch! I hope you mean you are not my boss, and you are pissed off that I am using the companies bandwidth to write this. :)

I live in hunting beach. I dont really work much any more. My sister commutes to fountain valley from corona. That has to be torture!

Heh, actually maybe we can beat him SENSIBLE? I guess anything is possible.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Oh and it looks like the Codex might get some more visitors today. It's listed on Blues News and Tiscali games apparently for the Troika email.

This news is really making the rounds and it seems most people on forums are sad to see Troika go.

triCritical

Erudite
bryce777 said:
I live in hunting beach. I dont really work much any more. My sister commutes to fountain valley from corona. That has to be torture!

Heh, actually maybe we can beat him SENSIBLE? I guess anything is possible.

I used to live in Huntington Beach, but then home prices started to exceed 600,000 dollars for a three bedroom home, and I wanted a home, so bought a commute.

Fez

Erudite
To be honest I think I'd have enjoyed this more if Exitium had stuck to his guns and danced on their graves rather than change his mind and give a grovelling apology. I thought he was going all way. :D

We all know he killed Troika with his mean words anyway.

Gromnir

Liturgist
"I'm not talking about bosses, scripted events, and other important characters/situations. I'm talking about average encounters that represent at least 80% of combat and affect your impression of a game. "

oh, sure... that makes sense 'cause if you can do for boss encounters then there is no way to do for other encounters.

"Doing a lot of side quests and getting more loot doesn't mean that your character should become a demi-god in comparison to a character who skipped side quests and got modest loot."

ease up on the hyperbole chum. who said anything 'bout demigod status? regardless, if you does more optional side-quests you will be more powerful than those who did not. will always be rewards for quests, whether it be 1007 or experience, and those that do more will get more. again, try to ease up on the ridiculous hyperbole and maybe we can have a real discussion.

HA! Good Fun!

Mangler

Novice
Anyone think it might be possible for Troika to release the Source codes to Arcanum, before their stuff is consigned to the VOID?

Sierra = Dead. Absorded by Vivendi.
Troika = 1 HP, Poisoned, Radiated, Cursed, with 20 angry radscorpions and a Few pissed Ogres next to them.

At the very least, if the code for Arcanum came out. It would make a fantastic going away present!

Mangler

Novice
Dam! Its Game Over then.

I wonder what happens to the Unnamed Post-Apoc game(techdemo)?
It was not contracted by any publisher, and it seems to be the sole work of Troika.
failed games HAVE been released to the gaming comunity before...
(Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) of course that was a full game.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Gromnir said:
oh, sure... that makes sense 'cause if you can do for boss encounters then there is no way to do for other encounters.
We aren't talking about what's *technically* possible here. Can they do that? Sure. Would they do that? I doubt that. After all, 90% of combat in MW was challenge-free.

"Doing a lot of side quests and getting more loot doesn't mean that your character should become a demi-god in comparison to a character who skipped side quests and got modest loot."

ease up on the hyperbole chum. who said anything 'bout demigod status? regardless, if you does more optional side-quests you will be more powerful than those who did not. will always be rewards for quests, whether it be 1007 or experience, and those that do more will get more. again, try to ease up on the ridiculous hyperbole and maybe we can have a real discussion.
Well, I'm playing KOTOR 2 now slaughtering armies of the Sith, so any complaints about hyperboles should be directed at Obsidian. Before that I was playing Gothic 2. Killed a few armies of orcs that an army of paladins couldn't handle, slew some dragons, you know, the usual. Anyway, in many game systems doing more side-quests and getting proper rewards mean insanely high HPs, impenetratable defenses, and unstoppable attacks. In other words, god-like powers that could be handled only by properly scaled encounters. However, if the effects of levels and items were more reasonable (like getting rid of HP increases and therefore of massive 300-400 HP behemoths), perhaps then there would be no need for all that scaled stuff.

triCritical

Erudite
Gromnir said:
regardless, if you does more optional side-quests you will be more powerful than those who did not. will always be rewards for quests, whether it be 1007 or experience, and those that do more will get more. again, try to ease up on the ridiculous hyperbole and maybe we can have a real discussion.

HA! Good Fun!

As you should. And for that matter, it was this reason that BG1 was Bioware's best game, by far. Again I am not one of those fascist that cry foul when a game is not balanced to Blizzard like perfection; However, the optional areas in BG, rewarded your group very appropriately for a game that was tight on exp. But what is more important is how everything accomplished in optional areas was not forced down your throat, made to feel like an important *must do* quest, like other Bioware titles. Instead, your party took initiative, went off the beaten path having to do more work, and in the end was rewarded with l00t and marginal exp well earned.

Not really disagreeing, but expounding using a concrete example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom