Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fallout Game Informer article

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I think it becomes pretty clear from the article that the food and water system is nothing but a glorified healing potion replacement. Drink from the toilet to regain health by 1 point steps!
Additionally, I bet it'll be as ineffective as in Gothic, i.e. after a while you'll rather take one or two from your large stimpack stock rather than gain 1-2 hitpoints from a toilet.

I guess just about everthing has been adressed already. There are numerous inconsistencies and flaws in the setting, not the least of which is the idea that a fully functional computer terminal connected to a highly advanced and irrationally armed ticket inspector robot waiting for you to be used to dispatch of some random super mutants. Sounds to me like they followed the development of Bioshock and thought "We can do that!"

Also, the emphasis on their daft targeting system is annoying. Not all my characters were about called shots in Fallout. For such a character, the entire system is pointless, or worse it'll be forced upon the player. And I'm not impressed by the gorey deaths either. There was more to the death animations than exploding body parts.

Well, there's a few things noone mentioned, probably because they appear so minute in contrast to the obvious raping of Fallout: Fourteen skills, yet three tag skills. Because in Fallout, you just couldn't be really good at enough skills. I wonder if you'll still be able to get an additional tag as perk.
Also, one screen shows that FO3 can't display all relevant character information in a single scree, because that would be too convenient. And the attribute screen is naturally called S.P.E.C.I.A.L. They really have to shove it down our throats how "Fallout" their game is. You're Special! G.O.A.T.! V.A.T.S.! T.H.I.S. I.S. F.A.L.L.O.U.T.!

Amasius

Augur
nuke-it.jpg

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, that reminds me. I noticed a wonderful quote myself:

All the classic elements of character creation with a huge amount of detail are present, but with more realistic facial options than were available in Oblivion.

mister lamat

Scholar
see... this is why you shouldn't have reposted. reads like a bunch of fucking emo basement dwellers getting dumped by their grrlfriend on livejournal..

"oh lament, oh sadness... wash over me darkness, make everythingl black."

omg... a new take on the 'alien blaster'... fucking humour... makes me wanna stab someone in the throat. rabble rabble!

*lumpy: if you ain't got the balls to say it with one account, don't say it at all.

Bloodlust

Augur
Great.Perfect.Awsome.Miraculus.Godlike.GiftFromHeaven.

Doom3/Quake4 design of the inside/outside areas of the gameworld.
Vaults looking like the mars laboratories from doom3 and the outside areas looking as a mixture of the quake4 engine rendering the strogg planet but with the decoration and feeling of a survival horror game like Resident Evil.
Mutants design similar to BOS/RE:Nemesis.Not even close to Original fallout theme.
Npc's looking plastic,similar to doom3 design (but with a facegen OL00LL!!1) and a cowboy sheriff looking like Chuck Norris.The vault 50's jumpsuit changed for modern clothing.

Fallout 50's theme tottally gone for a modern survival horror theme.TB combat to RTwBTaV.A.T.S
(Real Time with Bullet Time and V.A.T.S.). Including OmGAWSHUM weapans like Mobile Nuclear Catapult.Whats Next?

Lame story/start. Liam Neelson/father and shit.

Thank god for : No thongs,No magic,No tanks/motorcycles

Vague Promises that are propably Beth's PR Bullshit and will not be fulfilled:
Dialogues.Deep Interesting NPCs,Multiple Meaningfull Ways to complete quests.

Fuck that's awsome.Also,TalesfromtheCrypt,you provided my new sigquote :D

mister lamat

Scholar
there's a certain joy that can only be derived from watching queefs flail at the keyboard after their dreams have been crushed. sure, it gets a little pendantic and repetative after awhile, but the freakout factor always retains just a hint of cuteness.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
And let me guess, youre the cool guy who sits on the outside and doesnt care at all, yet keeps posting here for some strange reason.

Dreams? Are you a fucking retard? Every reasonable person knew this. would. gonna. suck.
What dreams?

Section8

Cipher
there's a certain joy that can only be derived from watching queefs flail at the keyboard after their dreams have been crushed. sure, it gets a little pendantic and repetative after awhile, but the freakout factor always retains just a hint of cuteness.

[obligatory reaction to trolling comment]We may be queefs, but at least that means we've been in a vagina. Maybe one day you too can attain this holy grail of RPGers! But I'm not holding my breath.[/obligatory reaction to trolling comment]

Thanks for being constructive.

mister lamat

Scholar
strange reason

teasing people who think their choice in video games qualifies as some sort of intellectual pursuit ain't strange.

i sit on my couch. same place i'll be sitting when i play this on the 360... why? better rolling surface.

oh god... not fun!

Thanks for being constructive.

and i need to rise above the throng why? i enjoy a good stoop. i'm very egalitarian that way.

Bloodlust

Augur
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Dreams? Are you a fucking retard? Every reasonable person knew this. would. gonna. suck.
What dreams?

That's True.It was certain from the first moment that this was going to be the direction that bethesda will follow.The big shock for me was neither the FP view or the realtime combat or any of the other crap shown like the nuke catapult.
The true rape was that of the 50's setting and the direction of the art style.Fuck that was the only thing that I had hopes for.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vault Dweller said:
Sitra Achara said:
Positives:
-C&C
-Multiple paths
-No level scaling
-No grinding for XP
-Better fleshed out NPCs
Was there another article that I missed? The one with examples and detailed explanations?

Hey, I'm just as skeptical as you are. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

mister lamat

Scholar
50's setting? takes place in the year 2200...

now, if you had said brazil knock-off you'd at least have been close to the mark. now if you're able to judge the entire art direction of a game from a few screens i'm kinda curious as to what tonights lotto draw will be.

Araanor

Liturgist
I'm enjoying this. Expecting the clusterfuck miles away, I was already dissapointed a long time ago. There's only the bemused poking at the carcass left. It's actually looking slightly better than what I expected.

Most of the positives in the article will turn out to be hyperbole.

Well, I guess it could end up amusing as a linear romp if you don't care for coherency.

Koby

Scholar
mister lamat said:
There's a certain joy that can only be derived from watching some retard flail at the keyboard as response to someone else's flailing. Sure, it gets a little repetitive after awhile but the "I'm posting in a super nerdy forum, regularly, and yet I'm completely convinced that I am not, in any kind shape or form, a nerd" shantick always retains just a hint of patheticness that manage to, somehow, make the other nerds look good.

mister lamat

Scholar
bad-poetry.gif

i'm wearing that t-shirt right now. i revel in my nerdism.

bare in my mind, i do know how to keep from sounding like a screaming pot of piss on the internet however. there are infinite gradations of everything.

*edit: changed pic for bandwidth. i'm nothing if not respectful of others.

elander_

Arbiter
Mr Happy said:
Suggests that you can walk from town to town in a reasonable amount of time (I am assuming this means scaled down, if they are including multiple cities), making any sort a of time/travel system/random encounter system a bit silly. I was hoping for a continous daggerfall like world, where you can walk in realtime (it wont sell if its not realtime), but its not something you'd really want to do.

Nope. It's all inside or in the neighborhood of DC. Places are connected by the metro, which apparently is partially occupied by mutants. It makes more sense this way.

I'm actually positively surprised by this review. I was expecting a FPS approach to Fallout with lots of pixel shaders and a predominant first person view. We got that. :mrgreen: Bu read ahead.

They have used the words different "play styles" and mentioned the ridicule in Oblivion of being head of all guilds. It appears that they have learned something with Fallout and the mistakes they made with Oblivion. Certain quest paths will be playable only by certain characters. Something that MSFD was against when he posted in the codex.

sah

Liturgist
The more I read about this article the more vague it seems. That was probably the plan, to keep as talking and speculating. The handheld catapult is only one gun and you seem to be drawing your conclusions too far. I don't know, maybe they butchered the whole FO arsenal, maybe it's just a goofy joke of a gun. But we don't even know how exactly VATS works.

I feel like any sort of excitation feeds the hype machine, becase sure as hell most consumers don't care for old-school Fallout fans - they only read in the article that we are not indifferent.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've just read the article and I have to vent my inner pain.

I wasn't expecting much of Bethesda, I wasn't expecting them to make RPG at all. I knew that Fallout I love is long dead and Beth isn't capable of reviving it, but after watching teaser I've just hoped they could at least make decent action game in fallout setting. But they managed to screw it anyway.
None of the screen shots show anything falloutish. All I can see there is STALKER, Resident Evil (teh Big Evil Super Mutant) and Doom 3 (Pipboy). No more 50's feeling, pure modern sci-fi.

FUUUUUUUUUCK!
That V.A.T.S. shit sucks. It's neither RPG nor action combat system. It's fucking abomination and should be cleansed from the face of Earth.
Nuclear catapult? Plain stupid. It doesn't only rape fallout canon, but common sense too.

I can imagine Beth's devs brainstorming:
- We own fallout now, what should include in FO3?
- All we need are handheld nuclear catapults.
- Great idea!
- And Bruderhood of Shit with their superb Powah Armourz!
- Yay!
- Scary looking super mutants too!
- Cool!
- Chuck Norris!
- Yay!
- Weapon erosions!
- *orgasmic moans*
- Lets make FP/over-the-shoulder camera, but fuck up combat system, so no1 can say we're making just another dumb shooter.
- Ok. That sounds reasonable.
- And hire Big Names, succes guaranteed.

Fuck you Bethesda, stick your FO3 up Todd's ass, I want VB back!

mister lamat

Scholar
inner pain... INNER FUCKING PAIN!!!!

and i quote: odds are, something you very much like sucks. why?

would the rest of the class say it for me?

much love to spazmo.

elander_

Arbiter
Brother None said:

You bring up a very valid point. Is Bethesda being moderated by Fidel Castro?

Bethesda hype can't be trusted for shit of course. What i find positive in the magazine article is that some of what is written in there directly contradicts what some Oblivions devs have been bullshitting here and in their forums, about how to make rpgs. They also admit some pathetic mistakes made with Oblivion which is also positive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom