Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fallout Game Informer article

Shoelip

Arbiter
You know, assuming they aren't lying, the game might actually be a decent CRPG.

Black

Arcane
Decent crpg with portable nuke launching device?
Oh, I'm so sold!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chiil out, mangos. It sounds great for Bethesda. If not for their godawful track record I might even hope for a good game.

Vamp

Educated
Shoelip said:
You know, assuming they aren't lying, the game might actually be a decent CRPG.

Now, why would you assume that?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
AquaVita.jpg

Overall it sounds fairly similar to the kind of thing MSFD was saying here prior to Oblivion's release. In that light, nothing short of playing the game before purchasing will convince me there's any truth to their claims. Maybe that's unduly cynical, but it's my cash and I'm not fond of pissing it up walls.

gc051360

Scholar
let's see.....drinkable toilet water, and nuke guns. Yup. Bethesda is retarded.

flushfire

Augur
I only read the comments here but...

V.A.T.S. - reminds me of Falllout Tactics and Arcanum.

Food and water - if they can make the food feel as if it were in Betrayal at Krondor then im all for it. I remember the desperation in that game when my rations were poisoned.

I do agree that if it weren't for the name I'd never think the screenshots were from a Fallout game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jasede said:
Chiil out, mangos. It sounds great for Bethesda. If not for their godawful track record I might even hope for a good game.

I totally agree.
Everything I saw and read on the scans made me quite optimistic.

That VATS system sounds like a reasonable mix of the old Fallout combat system and any combat system we see in NWN or BG.

Graphics look good indeed, but have yet to prove that they can deliver the right Fallout feeling. The screens say "There is hope", so I'll just wait for more.

The creation is.. well.. I guess Bethesda just CAN'T make games where you just create your character in one or two sreens. Anyway, if it adds to the atmosphere, it's good... I guess.

Perspective never really was a matter to me, so I don't really care, but I think they do good in trying to give the player the choice between FP and a BETTER-THAN-OBLIVION 3rd Person.

The only thing that upsets me is this Uruk-Hai (right?) like looking super mutant with a Daedra weapon from Oblivion... Too shiny.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still, don't kid yourself. I may sound vaguely optimistic, but that's the Vermouth talking.

We know Bethesda, if they don't fuck this up I'll get a sex change.

Hellraiser

Arcane
There's a bunch of pretty retarded ideas present FO3 like the nuclear catapult and SUPERMUTANTS EVERYWHEREZ !!!!111!11!1 oh and the BoS being comon on the east coast. Oh and the meh combat system(still better than going full blown FPS) and the supermutants with primitive melee weapons which makes them look like orcs from generic fantasy ARPG #19374732

On the other hand there are some good ones like the pipboy having a radio receiver which will allow you to get some *rumors and *quests not to mention listen to some 50's music. You won't be able to do every quest because faction A hates faction B and joining one will piss off the other. Not to mention no level scaling and improved AI. Some decent news although we'll have to wait for the game to see if that's true and not just PR hype talk.

I don't think that it will be worse then oblivion you can't get worse than that.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Looks like Doom 4 if you ask me. Doom 4 with a horribly fucked up combat system.

The art style is not Fallout at all. The mutants look like they were designed by a guy who usually does the makeup for horror movies. It seems this horror movie look is what is fashionable at the moment. Those mutants could be reused in Hellgate:London, Bioshock, etc. without changes for example.

They will not get my money, that is sure by now.

denizsi

Arcane
Mutants look irrelevant to Fallout. They look more like hell spawns or those things from Quake 2 & Quake 4 than Fallout mutants.

Bloodlust

Augur
Oh my,...

I 've just finished reading the GI article.I'll post more detailed impressions when I get over the shock and get my brain functionality back.

Right now,

What.The.Fuck.Is.That ?!?!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Positives:
-C&C
-Multiple paths
-No level scaling
-No grinding for XP
-SPECIAL
-Called shots/location specific damage and effects
-Better fleshed out NPCs
-More voice actors
-Radio
-They seem to have listened to criticisms of Oblivion at least

Negatives:
-Action RPG
-Actiony combat (pause or no pause, you'll still have to be running around to dodge, if not circle strafing and bunnyhopping)
-Nuke gun
-Exploding barrels, err, cars
-Fallout feel not quite there
-Perspective
-Mandatory tutorial + char gen section

Unanswered questions:
-In game walkthrough a la Oblibion?
-Accept quest/Accept quest later/Rumors dialogue?
-Immortal quest NPCs?
-GPS compass?
-Stupid minigames?
-What skills did they drop?
-Randomly generated dungeons/caves?

Depending on the execution:
-Survival aspect, food & water radiation
-Perks every other level (a bit much I think? depends on how often you level up/what perks are available)
-Most of the positives probably belong here as well - this is Beth we're talking about, after all
-BoS and Supermutants in DC (probably belongs in the negatives, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt)
-Weapons wearing down

Bottom line: Lots of positives, and it does seem that they listen. But like I said, this is Bethesda. I'll have to see it before I believe it. Particularly, the list of unknowns above.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Man, I was trying to avoid reading this but someone on irc posted a link without warning and I read two pages. What a fuck up.

Super Mutants are now Super Orcs who have infested the entire contitnent? I thought they were created by the Master using FEV on radiated humans. What the hell are they doing on the East coast? Something tells me this isn't a clever plot point but just a Bethesduh fuckup of the setting.

Nuclear reactors just sitting around in cars? You mean nobody has scavenged NUCLEAR REACTORS yet, they're just lying around waiting to be the lastest incarnation of the exploding barrel? I wish these people would sit down and think for a second about what they are doing.

Nuclear catapult? I don't even wanna know.

The combat system looks like such a horrible abortion that I don't even want to discuss it. If you're going to go with real time combat, make it real time combat!! Don't give us half assed real time first person combat with pause and an AP meter. Jesus. Unless it works like a stamina bar it's going to just be a meaningless and easily abused mechanic.

118062394197s.jpg

Actually, from the look of that screenshot, my computer won't be able to play it anyways. I win.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sitra Achara said:
Depending on the execution:
-Survival aspect, food & water radiation

I think it becomes pretty clear from the article that the food and water system is nothing but a glorified healing potion replacement. Drink from the toilet to regain health by 1 point steps!

aries202

Erudite
I must admit that I'm a tad disappointed :(

The whole eat & drink thing is carried over from the TES series, likewise is the 7 primaty skills as well as the eat & drink restoring some small amount of health...

The game takes place in the mean streets of D.C. in a urban jungle setting, sort of like GTA? or something like that. Then there's the dungeons, eh, the metro stations and the sewers --- eh, that worked really well in Oblivion didn't it??

If you read the article, I think Emil P (again) says something like 'so you get the feeling you're really there'. wtf?? I have just one thing to say: STOP making [censored] friggin' SIMS-games!!!

As for the combat options, it could be good or it could be bad, depending on how's it done. However, I feel that this VATS system won't satisfy the TB-fans nor the RT-fans as it seems like hybrid between the two.

I was skeptical at first when the codex predicted the role of Liam Neeson. Sadly, it all now (probably) turns out to be true. Qui Gong (Liam Neeson) will be your Father, your Mother will die, and your Father will be your guide, until he mysteriously disappears. Then you will set out to find him.... (hmm, where have I seen this before, maybe in a cross between star wars and bg1 --- hmmm....).

Also, I think there will be level scaling, not just Oblivion style level scaling which means that at level 1 or 5 you'll probably die rather quickly if & when you take in supermutants. Speaking of supermutants and the BOS, why are they even on the east coast??

Let me remind you of the hype up to Oblivion's release where PR_hines also said that you could do quests multiple ways etc. etc. & etc. None of this turned out to be true. In the quest snippet we gor from the article, you (still) couldn't turn down quests, and the dialoque options seemed very limited...

As for the nuclear laucher(??) WHY?? There's no need for this weapon, imo. Fallout isn't about blowing things up.... It is about people scattered around the urban jungle or wasteland, and then the main character stumbles over these people by accident that may or may not help him find his (or her) father...

It seems more like a game similar to STALKER or Gears of War than the Fallout series. Stalker is a pretty good game (or so I hear :) ) but it isn't Fallout. Neither is Fallout 3 -- it seems :(

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
You're all just a bunch of whiney faggots. The article looks...suprisingly good!

Fallouts combat sucked anyways, for a good FO 3 it needs to be toned down. And you all know Bethesda will tone the combat done in favour of deep roleplaying and choices and consequences, rite?!

Fallouts water and radiation system sucked balls. That new system sounds great, not at all like in Oblivion were by eating stuff you could heal tiny amounts of damage. It makes you drink out of TOILETS, that pure survival horror dont you guys see that?

The 50is scifi retro future style never did it for me in Fallout. C'mon, there wasnt even much of it in the game. I leik this Resident Evil scenario from the screenshots so much better.

Whiney faggots. This is awesome. Multiheaded Todds raping gameplay and setting OH GOD ITS HEAVAN

Chill out faggots, if not for Bethesda, if not for their track record, if not for this retarded article, if not for Pete, if not for Todd, if pigs could fly, if not for 90 % chance that the game will completly suck balls we might even hope for a good game!

God damn it, with all you whiney faggots its no wonder so many of the old guard left. Well I guess the trade of for having some intelligent posters is to have a huge amount of stupid fucks.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sitra Achara said:
Positives:
-C&C
-Multiple paths
-No level scaling
-No grinding for XP
-Better fleshed out NPCs
Was there another article that I missed? The one with examples and detailed explanations?

galsiah

Erudite
aries202 said:
...says something like 'so you get the feeling you're really there'. wtf?? I have just one thing to say: STOP making [censored] friggin' SIMS-games!!!
They aren't. The "really there" feeling Bethesda are so fond of touting is of the most superficial "aren't the graphics and sound realistic!" variety. If they actually did take a leaf out of the SIMS book, they might take a stab at game world coherence/consistency. That's the first step towards creating a "really there" feeling with any depth.
Of course there's zero chance of this. Coherence isn't even on Bethesda's radar. (see Oblivion)

Mr Happy

Scholar
Well, they gave choices/consequences/multiple paths a mention, but didnt they do the same for Oblivion? LOL, if thats the case. Yeah, you would think they would give examples if it is such an important element.

The combat system looks pretty terrible alright, but I guess it could of been worse.

I'm guessing the merged skills were (18 to 14) doctor + first aid, and ranged weapons. If we are lucky, they went all van buren and split the speech skill.

I was interested in the survival system, but it seems from the article that it is basically just drink -> regain health. Also, with

DESSLOCK DESTRYER OF WORLDS said:
The game takes place in D.C. in the year 2277. The map as a whole is slightly smaller than the Oblivion one.

Suggests that you can walk from town to town in a reasonable amount of time (I am assuming this means scaled down, if they are including multiple cities), making any sort a of time/travel system/random encounter system a bit silly. I was hoping for a continous daggerfall like world, where you can walk in realtime (it wont sell if its not realtime), but its not something you'd really want to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom