Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fallout Game Informer article

Jon

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
yeah, the handheld nuclear weapon and an engine sized nuclear reactor exploding are rather silly. but I suppose that not many of the new audience would know about critical mass.

Critical mass of Pu-239 is around 10kgs.

caliban

Scholar
I just finished reading the article, and although some statements sound remotely promising (no scalling, dialogues, some other minor stuff that sound like something I might approve of), my general impression was negative. It's a fucking console game, and it shows. Some elements might even be quite good, but it's still *made* for Beth's target audience, which means a lot of annoying shit designed for twitch kiddies, like exploding nuke cars, mutant orcs with warhammers and handheld atomic cannons (wtf?).
Not to mention the "innovative" combat system that offers a compromise of both RT and TB by having the setbacks and weaknesses of both.

Also, when I hear the words "radiant AI" and "Fallout" in one sentence i find really hard to supress the urge to kill someone.

"I saw a deathclaw yesterday", my ass.

However, I see one bright side to this: hopefully the game will be released with a Construction Set, so we'll be able to heavily mod the game, throw out some of the useless/unacceptable crap, change the mechanics if necessary and add some depth to the game (hunger, thirst and whatnot should be easy to implement, for example). Maybe the collective effort of the Fallout fanbase will succeed where Beth fails, and turn F3 into an at least *passable* sequel.

Globbi

Augur
I'm trying o not be subjective: It's gonna be a good game, just not for me, not for codex. And not like this shit TES4 sold only because of hype, a lot better in every aspect - action, setting, plot, roleplaying.

Balor

Arcane
"Differences between how we approach this and how we approach The Elder Scrolls are pretty huge," Howard assures us. "It's its own game. We don't assume anything we did in Elder Scrolls fits."
At least he understands THAT much.
Now, if Beth devs weren't known for being LYING BASTARDS, it may be good. *sigh*

Balor

Arcane
Oh, funny titbit:
"We've revamped the entire AI system from Oblivion to give us better gameplay with guns"
They are just asking for it :lol:.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So, they say that you can play through the game several times, which likely means that you must play through that delightful sounding vignette/tutorial (FaceGen FTW!) several times as well. Very appealing...

The setting seems abused. Supermutants and BoS were phenomena encountered on the west coast. Now, they might be able to spread, especially the BoS assuming that they reversed the downward spiral they were in during the time of Fallout 2 and changed their philosophy a bit. The supermutants were a product of the Master though, sterile to boot, which would mean no new mutants. Sure, there could be a bunch of old farts still alive since the process probably gives them severe longevity along with the other changes, but not a great number of them, especially on the other side of the nation. Unless there's somebody esle producing them that is. At least Fallout 2, for all its flaws, gave us a new enemy and downplayed the role of the BoS.

There are aspects of the interview that makes the game sound better than Oblivious at least, and I'm likely to play it once it's out, but I'm not exactly optimistic

cares

Novice
finitahc1.png

not much left to say, is there?...

Pastel

Scholar
You had made up your mind long before you read the article, admit it.

Pastel

Scholar
At least I don't spend years bitching about the same games again and again.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pastel said:
It's called experience. The article just confirmed everything we suspected: Oblivion with guns.

Pastel said:

• Users posting from this IP address
    Lumpy [ 2013 Posts ] Search
    Pastel [ 2 Posts ] Search
    Todd Howard [ 1 Post ]
No, you just like creating multies.

Black

Arcane
cares said:
finitahc1.png

not much left to say, is there?...

Aye- because we all know that super mutants don't have groins and eyes...
Goodbye groin criticals, we'll miss ya

Lumpy

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Pastel said:
It's called experience. The article just confirmed everything we suspected: Oblivion with guns.

Pastel said:

• Users posting from this IP address
    Lumpy [ 2013 Posts ] Search
    Pastel [ 2 Posts ] Search
    Todd Howard [ 1 Post ]
No, you just like creating multies.
:o
I suppose trolling the Codex is pretty much impossible.

sqeecoo

Arcane
This. Picture. Is. Horrible.

Not only does it look like a FPS, but a *bad* FPS. That mutant looks like shit, the interface looks like shit, the weapons look like shit, the setting is not fallout. Wow. Despite some vague nods towards the fans' expectations, this looks almost like the worst-case scenario - Oblivion with guns, and a bit of choice.

God dammnit, RT combat can work in RPGs (Gothic) but not in RPGs with guns. There is no way to make anything else than a FPS if you have RT combat with guns, the best you can do is a FPS with some dialogue/skills (like SS2/Stalker).

So what do you guys think, now that we know a bit about the game, and assuming the positive stuff turns out to be false promises (like it probably will), what do you think the a) critical reception will be, and b) the fan reaction will be?

Monolith

Prophet
I went from "doesn't look so bad" to "wtf?" to "goddamn no!" to "looks bloody fucking atrocious" in one minute. Only by looking at the screenshots. Reading it almost killed me...

Oblivion with guns.

stargelman

Scholar
Hah. If I hadn't given up hope completely on Bethesda so long ago, I'd be in tears now. But I have to admit I am surprised not all of what's in the article is 100% suck. The bit about choice&consequence and alternate pathes for quests of course is something I won't believe until I see it and see that it actually applies to more than one or two token quests. That whole bit about NPCs talking to each others and the radio thing, to me that sounds just like another idiotic gimmicky way to forcefeed quests to the player, just like in Oblivion.

It is very fitting that the brainless zombies at GI keep comparing the game to Oblivion at every turn. Gotta love their assertion that the amazing graphical detail of the game will convince even the most hardcore RPG enthusiasts. What do these people eat for breakfast, moron loops?

I'd comment further on all that is wrong with this, but hell, it's just not worth my time. Bitching about stuff like this is only entertaining for so long. I just bought Deus Ex, a game I've never played before. I know what to expect: an FPS, no bullshit. I'll go play that now.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I just don't understand why they had to reinvent Boyarski & Anderson's art style. Couldn't they have just taken their awesome style and built some spiffy models from that? They could have done away with concept artists entirely for assets that were already there. The power armor looks sort of like the original, but different in a few negative ways. The super mutant looks nothing like the original, and infinitely worse off as far as artistic merit goes.

I just don't get it. They bought the license..then use the art style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom