Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Dr1f7

Scholar
what addons do you guys use?

willkydd

Novice
What is a blast? Walking around and pressing "1" mindlessly, bored through your skull because everything dies in one hit and nothing can hurt you? My experience 3 years ago.

I wasn't talking about leveled mudcrabs. Dungeons (the newer the better), World Bosses, Portals, and Arenas. It isn't the strong suit of the game but I doubt you could do half of it.
Sure.

But when you start, there are no veteran dungeons and world bosses and arenas.

When you start, 95% of what you do is overworld. Running around and pressing "1". And you do that for dozens upon dozens of hours, until you level up to max and unlock the actual game.

60+ hours of pressing "1", instakilling everything, never dying, never even being in any danger, never caring about classes, stats, loot, crafting, alchemy or anything else because what's the point. 60+ hours of story mode walking simulator.

Regret nothing, could've gone for 60 more, Codex RPG #1, IGN 10/10.
You may be doing it wrong if it takes you 60hrs (maybe because I'm not sure how it is on your first character, been a long time since I started playing this game). It took me about 15hrs to get to lvl50, but yeah it's NOT a challenge, you have to do it for the quests/lore, otherwise it's a horrible chore.

willkydd

Novice
what addons do you guys use?
Install these and dependencies using Minion (or you will go crazy if done manually)

S Tier
AlphaGear 2 - gear presets (shit's a nightmare without addons, you do need gear presets)
Bandit's User Interface - decent UI
BeamMeUp - Teleporter (Fast Travel) - helps teleport you around for free, fast
Destinations - makes map good (shows stuff)
Librarian - fantastic mod, it allows you to read books later, mark them as read/unread, and search stuff in all books you found
LoreBooks - shows these on the map
No Sneaking Combat Roll - makes it so you don't roll while sneaking
Research Assistant - helps with researching things efficiently
Skyshards - shows these on the map

A Tier
Auto Recharge (and repair) - takes a lot of tedium away
Accurate World Map - world map that doesn't suck
CraftStore - good to craft stuff fast and to see what to research
Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter - autocrafts what's needed for dailies
Lost Treasure - shows where exactly treasures are, on the map
PotionMaker - helps with alchemy
Votan's Keybinder - helps transfer custom keybinds between characters
Tamriel Trade Center - shows prices for items

B+ Tier
Combat Metrics - if you try hard as dps
Action Duration Reminder
Gold Ledger - shows you how much gold you make per day/month etc.
rChat -makes chat cool

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What is a blast? Walking around and pressing "1" mindlessly, bored through your skull because everything dies in one hit and nothing can hurt you? My experience 3 years ago.

I wasn't talking about leveled mudcrabs. Dungeons (the newer the better), World Bosses, Portals, and Arenas. It isn't the strong suit of the game but I doubt you could do half of it.
Sure.

But when you start, there are no veteran dungeons and world bosses and arenas.

When you start, 95% of what you do is overworld. Running around and pressing "1". And you do that for dozens upon dozens of hours, until you level up to max and unlock the actual game.

60+ hours of pressing "1", instakilling everything, never dying, never even being in any danger, never caring about classes, stats, loot, crafting, alchemy or anything else because what's the point. 60+ hours of story mode walking simulator.

Regret nothing, could've gone for 60 more, Codex RPG #1, IGN 10/10.
You may be doing it wrong if it takes you 60hrs (maybe because I'm not sure how it is on your first character, been a long time since I started playing this game). It took me about 15hrs to get to lvl50, but yeah it's NOT a challenge, you have to do it for the quests/lore, otherwise it's a horrible chore.
Got to level 6 in ten hours, so....

Just a rough approximation, best I could do.

It was probably the strangest experience I've ever had with an RPG. I'm still weirded out by this "game".

Gerrard

Arcane
6SzNw4b.png

Fucking furfags
:timetoburn:

Caim

Arcane
6SzNw4b.png

Fucking furfags
For a second I thought that this was a reference to how Khajiit are born in different forms that are affected by the positions of the moons, letting them be anything from the several variants seen in the mainline Elder Scrolls games to giant battlecats and even regular housecats, but that's not really the case. This guy is just a large tiger-man and the woman he mentions is closer to what they look like in Skyrim. So it's mostly a size difference thing and no "a cat is fine too".

Gerrard

Arcane
6SzNw4b.png

Fucking furfags
For a second I thought that this was a reference to how Khajiit are born in different forms that are affected by the positions of the moons, letting them be anything from the several variants seen in the mainline Elder Scrolls games to giant battlecats and even regular housecats, but that's not really the case. This guy is just a large tiger-man and the woman he mentions is closer to what they look like in Skyrim. So it's mostly a size difference thing and no "a cat is fine too".
I'm referring to the general degeneracy.
"How could we help ourselves? It was a sexual emergency!"

Caim

Arcane
6SzNw4b.png

Fucking furfags
I'm referring to the general degeneracy.
"How could we help ourselves? It was a sexual emergency!"
Oh sure, but I'm saying that it could have been even worse.

Gerrard

Arcane
So I'm finally doing the Dark Brotherhood storyline, and they are basically just a bunch of murderous larpers? They have some daily quests that are "Go to X village and kill Y random NPCs". What the fuck? Assassin's guild my ass.
There should've been an option to side with the priests.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So I'm finally doing the Dark Brotherhood storyline, and they are basically just a bunch of murderous larpers? They have some daily quests that are "Go to X village and kill Y random NPCs". What the fuck? Assassin's guild my ass.

I recommend Morrowind and Clockwork if you have yet to do those.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's the 10 year anniversary and yet it's shaping up to be another generic as fuck chapter.

I recommend Morrowind and Clockwork if you have yet to do those.
I did those way back. I had this DLC for a long time too but somehow never got around to doing it, unlike the thieves guild the DB skill line doesn't seem very useful.

Gerrard

Arcane
No reworks or otherwise base game improvements of any kind. :lol:
Character models, animations, skill effects, etc. all that shit looks way worse than 10 years old. Fucking Neverwinter came out a year earlier and looks better in every one of those areas (they updated the character models like 2 ears after release).

No veteran overland/difficulty scaling no buy. See you again in 2025 I guess.

Just play with no gear if it bothers you so much. The base game veteran dungeons are still soloable without much effort so you'd still complain anyway if they added that difficulty to overland.

ADL

Prophet

Just play with no gear if it bothers you so much. The base game veteran dungeons are still soloable without much effort so you'd still complain anyway if they added that difficulty to overland.

That video is with no gear at level 3, no stats or champion points. 90 seconds AFK to die to a bear attack. 90 seconds is a long fucking time for a single enemy to kill you. I could take a piss and grab a drink and still have time to spare.

The Elder Scrolls Online puts the RP in MMORPG in the sense that you're roleplaying that you're in danger at any given moment.

All they need to do to fix overland difficulty scaling is copy this. EZPZ https://lotro-wiki.com/wiki/Landscape_Difficulty

Lhynn

Arcane
No reworks or otherwise base game improvements of any kind. :lol:
Character models, animations, skill effects, etc. all that shit looks way worse than 10 years old. Fucking Neverwinter came out a year earlier and looks better in every one of those areas (they updated the character models like 2 ears after release).

Imagine being that much of a shit slurping fag to defend this shit.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Mastering everything is one of the biggest pros of the elder scroll games, you should be able to do it with time and dedication, including this on an mmo is actually smart, as there will be people that will want to master every skill. Roles should not be dependant on what you can do, but on what you want to or are needed to do, making it more flexible and avoiding falling on the same tired and repetitive tasks ad infinitum. Holy trinity is a tired concept.
Tanking is a stupid task, healing is even more stupid, dps as a concept is the root of all decline, comparing numbers is the apex of shitty design, stuff should have uses beyond a purely numerical fashion.

Dont get me wrong, TESO is going to be bland boring shit, but making something different is always good, especially on this genre... even if it turns out to be shit.

Just think about it, how will one player be more powerful than another if it masters light and heavy armor? it will just make him more flexible, but not clearly better.

tanking is retarded, why would the enemy attack the hardiest member on the team? where the fuck is the logic in that? healing is retarded, why would you make a class that you cant live without? healing should be an afterthought, it should be a "between battles" deal.

Obviously support, but not in the sense of you needing someone clicking on your name and spaming a skill. recovery could come from debuffs to the enemy, regen effects to your team, long cooldown self healing, damage mitigation, etc.

They dont have to have 1 set role to be needed, sheer number and flexible tactics would mean more fun and dinamic gameplay, dps race could and should be avoided with monsters debuff, attacks, different victory conditions, etc.

Just watch the lord of the rings, tell me whos tanking, whos healing and whos dpsing, then get back to me and talk about party composition needing to be set in stone. It is about making the game dynamic.

All you are presenting me with are supositions
"And since everyone can be anything, odds are the monsters will become such stat bloats that you'll need MOAR DPS".
It does not need to be this way, not that its a bad thing if everyone turns out to be good at doing damage, but the monsters can use their own tactics to keep themselves from dying too fast, like penalizing attacks when they take a certain stance or temporarily disabling some of the members of the team, etc. These are just examples i came up with in a second, im sure you can think of more if you try.

"As an aside, dps race is avoided all the time. There are only some choice encounters which are straight out dps races, anywhere else there's the mantra of 'better alive than highest dps for 5 seconds after your death, dipshit'."
Yes and no, when presented with the choice of how to face an encounter the ones that will be fighting on the offensive and the ones that are supporting on defending can change according to they own skills and strenghts (that theyve picked, like perks, weapon, armor, magical trinkets, passive bonuses, etc). you keep player tasks/role new and fresh, keep your players actually playing a game instead of repeatedly mashing the same keys.

"If there's a lack of variety in encounter design, its because MMOs like WoW are structured around the whole theme park paradigm. Not because there's one class dedicated to healing and who is pretty much necessary for a lot of the game's content. Old sandbox MMOs often had that." True, yet you seem to want to play the same games with updated graphics and a different log in screen.

@idonthavetimeforthiscrap not every player will have the stupid amount of time necesary to max out their character, but having 2 warriors, both using one handed swords just as well, but the second warrior being able to also use bows because he invested time the first player didnt have on it will not automatically make the first player useless, while at the same time rewarding the second players time with flexibility instead of outright giving him power. Level might be a factor, but im not taking it into account because it is not what we are discussing.

Ok.

"So instead of clicking a party member's name and spamming a skill, you'd rather have them click an enemy's name and spam a skill. Fair enough."
Dont be silly, why cast it more than once every half a min or so? why the need to spam skills when you can have fewer casts that are more meaningful?

again, hp bloat? why? whats the reasoning behind that?

again, hp bloat? why? whats the reasoning behind that?

I did read yours, but i meant something else entirely.
yeah, you need a tank, a healer and some sort of dps, that much is set in stone in todays mmos. you cant survive dungeons without that :M
And i very much dislike that, because when i play a rpg, any rpg, i dont want tags on my character: sure, i can take damage, also do damage, i have a limited recovery potential and depend on others for damage mitigation, limited recovery and increased damage. There is strengh in numbers, strengh needed to overcome challenges that you alone could not, the holy trinity is pointless if you have that, because you have players cooperating already, without dictating how you want them to play their own character.

Lets not bring balance into the table, it is far from the issue im raising here, or encounter design for that matter..

What i am talking about is the fact that holy trinity can be safely removed without risking player cooperation. Class based or not class based isnt really an issue. The cleric (or anyone else for that matter) does not need to be the dedicated healer, in fact, the idea of a dedicated healer is a degenerate notion born from lazy minds that cannot be assed to actually craft interesting, well thought out flexible classes that remain faithful to their ethos.

For example:
A fighter being able to fight, means that he can do more than just take blows to the head really really well or stick the pointy end of the spear into the baddies belly really really well. it means a man that knows how to move in the battlefield, that is very capable of moment to moment decisions and maybe even able to raise morale or keep in calm even under the most dangerous and chaotic of battlefields.
On the other hand mage can warp reality. why give him a defined role when the very concept is so broad? even having a handful of spells that can be shaped into different forms and effects would make him the jack of all trades you could use in different encounters.
Rogues are resourceful characters that always have something in their sleves, why force them into a role like "dps" when "something in their sleve" is so vague and interesting to explore.

You can define classes without defining their role or make it a much much broader role, you dont even need to give them an untold number of skills to be able to pull this off, just a handful of sensible ones that can be applied in different situations with different, but predictible results.

PS: if i said something contrary to this statement before im sorry, just got from work and had a chance to put my thoughts in order, this is pretty much what i meant all along.

Not talking about WoW especifically, not even pretending they change it there, they shouldnt, that game is what it is. im talking about all those new games with ideas recycled from it and a myriad of mmos that follow the "decicated role" route. Youd be surprised at how many of those there are, they number in the hundreds.

knock youself out telling them apart you stupid fuck.

mhm, i did, went tru the list looking for one i would like to play. now go back to your cave you little troll, you just got burned.

Yes, even zomg, second life, mech warrior online, uncharted waters online, dofus, football superstars, they are on the list, and are non standard mmos. Im obviously ignoring those special entries, but if its on the list and released, ive probably played over an hour of it.
and if its been released after wow, 9 out of 10 times its been a wow clone with traditional holy trinity, most of them even with only 3/5 playable classes to fill those roles and a couple hybrids.

Naming guild wars is especially retarded, it is also a special case because its a pvp game, completly focused on that in fact. The single player was just shit that allowed you to unlock some stuff that you could unlock with arena points anyway.
I never denied the existance of hybrid classes, that doesnt change the fact that holy trinity still stands on those titles as dedicated characters without "builds".
jesus dude, you seriously planning on having me go tru the list to tell you about wow clones? scarlet blade, Lineage1/2, perfect world, swotor off the top of my head, that you could recognize, or that i can actually remember.

:nocountryforshitposters: You are probably one of those fuckers that didnt get the memo: GW1 pve is shit.

No.
Leveling was the same as any other shitty mmo, the pace was acceptable, which means it was shit for the devs, because players ended up without much to do faster, which was a problem because of slow updates.
PvP battleground is always somewhat fun, in pretty much any game its people killing people with friends, its also shit. self contained player versus player with no outside factors and no real impact on the game. Its simply a pointless waste of time,
Classes were shit, jedis shoehorned into holy trinity crap.
Its only redeeming quality was an interesting early game, and that it didnt abuse the fuck out of skinner box like nw online did. Also no microtransactions i think, now that its gone f2p its disgusting.

Like you didnt knew it was going to be the most retarded shit.

Probably because hes having fun with friends, and he mistakenly thinks that makes the game good.

To me there should not be any endgame. Only a world with different activities of varying degrees of difficulty. That way none of your content is really skippable and all of it is at the same time. And that way your progress actually means shit.

Let me put this is a very simple way, people like objectives ... if you arent giving players goals they will simply see as there is nothing to do and move on, even if you are obscuring it with drops people like being told to do stuff.
Sure, where did i say there cant be objectives? why do you believe players must be told what to do? how are you "obscuring it with drops"?

Sandboxes dont work because games must have a purpose
Dont be stupid

minecraft-cover.jpg

there must be clearly defined objectives outside I just log in and declare myself as having won the game because I have done exactly that and the game isnt telling I didnt now? Without telling me I won or lost I win by default because I shown up, its like I set up a game of monopoly and I am the only player.
Stupid people should shut the fuck up.

Also excuse me as I laugh at the "different activities of varying degrees of difficulty" because you cannot just make the same shit always harder and expect people levels dont matter because thats not the issue with endgame
Where did i say each activity should have its own set of difficulties? not that its a bad idea mind you, but thats not what i said. And how does correlate to levels no mattering? what the fuck are you even talking about? are you fucking retarded? am i talking to a mongoloid?

its the repetition and people will either burn faster they can make new content or they make so ridiculous hard that takes months before a team can beat it that just means making content for the select few and then people will having nothing to do for different reasons.
It seems i am talking to one. Its much better to have them try varied content than to have them repeat the same content over and over again until the next "tier". The problem isnt really repetition, its grinding. You can do an instance 20 times over the course of a year and not mind it, but doing it 20 times in a week then never doing it again is fucking shit, wasteful design.

Its complete shit men, stay the fuck away from this failure.

They are both shit design. Level scaling is worse tho, you are just too stupid to care.

Tried this for like 3 hours.

How are people playing this crap without just dying? Its one of the absolute worst mmos around. Mobile MMOs are better.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about those three jerkoffs, give us more of the chad in the armor.

Imagine being that much of a shit slurping fag to defend this shit.

Since 2013 you have proven to be a giant homosexual. Keep seething for another decade plus, fag.

Gerrard

Arcane

That video is with no gear at level 3, no stats or champion points. 90 seconds AFK to die to a bear attack. 90 seconds is a long fucking time for a single enemy to kill you. I could take a piss and grab a drink and still have time to spare.

The Elder Scrolls Online puts the RP in MMORPG in the sense that you're roleplaying that you're in danger at any given moment.

All they need to do to fix overland difficulty scaling is copy this. EZPZ https://lotro-wiki.com/wiki/Landscape_Difficulty

So you're the kind of retard who thinks that you should need a full party to do dailies, gotcha. I wonder why you're here instead of playing a game like that.

Lhynn

Arcane

So you're the kind of retard who thinks that you should need a full party to do dailies, gotcha. I wonder why you're here instead of playing a game like that.

I think monsters your level should present a challenge and provide you with a reasonable reward for your efforts. I dont believe you should be unkillable while getting dripfed rewards, it is a horrible game with bad gameplay and a detestable gameplay loop. It is insultingly bad and you are a retarded monkey for defending it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Since 2013 you have proven to be a giant homosexual. Keep seething for another decade plus, fag.
I stand behind every single one of those posts you shit slurping npc.
It is not to seethe to call out shit practices and shit design, seething is taking the work to copypaste every negative post in a subforum in the hopes of making me upset. You are a cretin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom