Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hold one button and a meteor kills everything?

That is not the case of Dragon's Dogma. Meteor has a very long casting time, has a hard time hitting enemies in certain "scenarios", can easily be interrupted, is worthless against enemies which require a very specific small weakspot to be defeated and so on. Of course, using a high level magic against weak enemies will kill them easily.

Versus something that resembles a big RPG world, filled with quests and a lot going on?

ESO has very basic RPG elements. Sure, has a lot of quests, but nothing that you do has any consequence. The main quest doesn't make sense for an mmo. Almost every single one that you see in the game is a freaking daedra lord slayer. WoW WotLK did it right, you are not the "lich king slayer", very few players can be one one of the soldiers which defeated him.

--------------------------------------------------

As for the new arcanist class, will be a homogenized class which plays almost like every other single class. I miss games like P99 where Wizards and Magicians despite both being arcane casters plays completely different.

How good is ESO compared to other MMO's? Let's say, how does it stack up to classic wow? I remember trying it out during the beta testing for a few hours and I didn't like it then. How much has it changed since

Late Bloomer

Scholar
How good is ESO compared to other MMO's? Let's say, how does it stack up to classic wow? I remember trying it out during the beta testing for a few hours and I didn't like it then. How much has it changed since

Its a very different game from release. I couldn't stand the release version of the game. As of now, it is one of the few MMO's that I can tolerate. Everquest set the bar way to high for all the MMO's that followed.

My two cents about ESO. It is a fantastic game if you are a fan of Elder Scrolls lore, if you enjoy rewarding exploration, if you enjoy solo (or duo) play with the occasional group play, if you are the type that enjoys in game music (including bard songs at inns and other places), if you enjoy crafting and harvesting, if you enjoy player housing.

It is a terrible game if you enjoy meaningful combat (unless you are really pushing content solo which is a blast) , if you enjoy pvp, if you enjoy endgame raiding, if you like rushing through everything, if you don't like questing.

In comparision to Classic WoW which I also have a lot of playtime in, I would say they don't compare much at all. Classic WoW runs deep on nostalgia (at least for me). WoW has fantastic gameplay. It has the tightest controls of any MMO (guild wars 2 and wildstar also come to mind). If you are a fan of WoW and havent given hardcore classic a shot, I say give that a try too. Official hardcore servers will be coming out at some point soonish. For now I wrote how to get started in WoW HC in the Classic WoW thread. It's one of the posts on Feb 7th I made about 20% of the way down the thread. I managed to get a couple characters to 60 which was enjoyable for the most part.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/blizzard-announced-classic-world-of-warcraft.118973/page-118

I would be glad to answer any questions you have about ESO or WoW HC.

Let's say, how does it stack up to classic wow?
a colonscopy is better than classic wow.
eso is "leveled content: the mmo", to the point that if you level up while fighting you might die because mobs leveled up with you but your equipment didn't. it's a worse skyrim without the exploitable stuff. there's a lot of content, but it's all the same: go there, kill everything. classes are severely unbalanced, and this gets exponentially worse in pvp which varies from "struggling just to stay alive" to "oneshotting enemies".
90% of the better content is paid, and expensive. even necessary qol has to be paid.
have fun.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

unless you are really pushing content solo which is a blast
What is a blast? Walking around and pressing "1" mindlessly, bored through your skull because everything dies in one hit and nothing can hurt you? My experience 3 years ago.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
What is a blast? Walking around and pressing "1" mindlessly, bored through your skull because everything dies in one hit and nothing can hurt you? My experience 3 years ago.

I wasn't talking about leveled mudcrabs. Dungeons (the newer the better), World Bosses, Portals, and Arenas. It isn't the strong suit of the game but I doubt you could do half of it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I wasn't talking about leveled mudcrabs. Dungeons (the newer the better), World Bosses, Portals, and Arenas. It isn't the strong suit of the game but I doubt you could do half of it.
Sure.

But when you start, there are no veteran dungeons and world bosses and arenas.

When you start, 95% of what you do is overworld. Running around and pressing "1". And you do that for dozens upon dozens of hours, until you level up to max and unlock the actual game.

60+ hours of pressing "1", instakilling everything, never dying, never even being in any danger, never caring about classes, stats, loot, crafting, alchemy or anything else because what's the point. 60+ hours of story mode walking simulator.

Regret nothing, could've gone for 60 more, Codex RPG #1, IGN 10/10.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't this game just a bunch of furries sitting around in towns ERPing with each other?
On that note, didn't the same thing happen to Vanguard?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't this game just a bunch of furries sitting around in towns ERPing with each other?
On that note, didn't the same thing happen to Vanguard?
Yeah, this was the majority of population in the overworld when I played. AFAIK this was a normal MMO initially, then furries and carebears started bombarding the devs about game being tooo haaard, so the devs removed the gameplay and left only sightseeing, fashion and ERP. And now they're stuck with furries rabidly defending One Tamriel from actual gamers poking around ESO now and then and leaving totally baffled about this bizarre experience.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I had to look up and make sure this isnt the FFXIV thread. You can avoid the ERP shit by not joining one of their guilds as almost all RP of that nature takes place in the safety of their designated guild halls. Its FFXIV in Limsa that its rubbed in your face everytime you go there. So next time you play try not to join a furry guild. Or try to stop hating yourself because you are a furry perhaps.

I don't like the combat. Its one of the main deterrents when I decide to play or not. I would rather not defend it. Buuuut, there is plenty of delves and public dungeons that have a moderate challenge to them as you level up. Certainly more than pressing one button. But the challenge of ESO is faily low in most cases and the combat is lacking unless you are setting out to challenge yourself.

I stand by what I said in my previous post. I certainly understand that this game isn't for everyone though. I miss the days when MMO's were like EQ1 and to a lesser extent EQ2 (the early days), But if you are a fan of Elder Scrolls, its world and lore, its music and feels, then I say there is certainly fun to be found playing ESO.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hold one button and a meteor kills everything?
Bruh that's literally Everquest

Naw, not really. Ice comet is a level 50 wizard spell and is only relevant until level 51 when it gets replaced by the wizard's fast casting, low-cost nuke line, and the slow-casting, high cost unresistable nuke line. IC looks pretty, but it's highly resistible, slow casting, and high cost. Wizards are all about fast DPS with low agro after level 50 and when tough mobs show up they break out the armor piercing rounds.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bruh that's literally Everquest

Not truth. For example, Noxious spider a lv 45 mob has 4.5k hp ( https://wiki.project1999.com/Noxious_spider ) and ice comet, a lv 50 spell dishes 1110 max damage. An wizard would need 5 casts of ice comet to kill a single spider.

And Wizards are all about killing stuff fast. Necromancers, Magicians and other casters would require much more time to kill it.

The unique mmo which allows you to destroy hordes of mobs at relative high speed is DDO and even DDO has some mobs with immunity to OHK spells and ultra inflated hp.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
And EQ Wizards can't even cast 5 ice comets at once, they would be beaten to death before they cast the second. You have to constantly kite mobs or use Root. Wizards snare enemies in groups of 4 and then blast them down with area spells, takes a while but you are killing 4 at once. But EQ is about as far from 1 spell as it gets, especially if you play a proper class.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I keep going back to this piece of hot trash, I dunno why. It's probably because TES invariably sucks me in and so I can overlook the terrible air hitting combat, the awful buggy mess that is movement and the general cluelessness of the developers in all aspects technical and game design, at least for a week or so.

ZMO is just hilariously inept as a studio, it's like hiring the wrecking crew to build your house. Because they know they have to do the opposite of what they can do they have moved into a corner of the house where the wall is still is standing somewhat upright and are decorating the shit out of it, fully knowing that, one day, regardless of how careful they are, they will hammer their final nail and the wall will come crashing down.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
terrible air hitting combat

That is the main reason I grow tired of ESO eventually. I usually get wrapped up in the game for a couple months then just burn out from the combat. I love the world, lore, quests, housing, music, cozy feel to locations. I just cant stand the combat. Do you have a favorite chapter (expansion) ?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
terrible air hitting combat

That is the main reason I grow tired of ESO eventually. I usually get wrapped up in the game for a couple months then just burn out from the combat. I love the world, lore, quests, housing, music, cozy feel to locations. I just cant stand the combat. Do you have a favorite chapter (expansion) ?
Morrowind obviously.

Dr1f7

Scholar
well just gave this another try

was having a nice time slowly moving through a 'dungeon' (i think they're called delves?) then of course some level *1075* e-sports god comes in and just blows up everything in the whole place

so then I'm left with a huge empty dungeon where I basically walk to the end and grab a quest item then leave
idk it's just so lame and this happens every time

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The respawn times are fairly quick though if you really felt like taking your time, it's not a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom