Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Is this game still a weave light attacks spam 4 second buffs mess combat wise?

Last I played was six months go and weaving was still a thing.

ADL

Prophet

2023 is do or die for the game so this will be interesting. I've never seen a community more upset over the state of a MMORPG than The Elder Scrolls Online in 2022.
ESO Looking Forward

In general, there are two types of content in ESO: hand-crafted, such as quests, stories and things you do one time per character; and systems, which are activities that are generally repeatable such as PvP, dungeons, trials, housing, daily crafting writs, etc. We have always had a mix of the two types of content, but in terms of Dev Team hours, the majority of time developing the game has been weighted towards questing content.

As I mentioned above, the big news for 2023 is that based in significant part on player feedback, we are now at the point where we are reassessing the balance of hand-crafted "one-and-done" storytelling content versus repeatable game activities.

ESO is a massive game with a huge number of zones, quests, and systems. We have created 40 or so hours of hand-built content EVERY YEAR since 2015, as well as a myriad of dungeons and new systems like One Tamriel, thieving, assassinations, companions, Tales of Tribute, antiquities, crafting writs, housing, graphical character customization, solo/group arenas, PVP battlegrounds, and much more.

Now that we have hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds!) of hours of questing content, enough for four or five regular RPGs, we are hearing from our new players that the sheer number of zones and stories and characters is intimidating. And, on the other hand, our veteran players consistently tell us that they would like more content that isn't played through just once—they would like more content they can enjoy for years; content that utilizes our already existing zones to add new things to do, and most importantly, introduces some new gameplay.  

Moving Forward to 2023

Given the above, 2023 will see us moving away from the "Year Long Adventure” 12-month storylines that we have featured since 2019's Season of the Dragon. I think these have run their course and frees us up to do some new and interesting content that we've been wanting to do for a few years now—and lets us return to expansive story arcs that unfold over multiple Chapters. This year-long strategy was a huge success and raised the profile of ESO, but now after four straight years, we're finding more and more that this cadence limits what we can do.

So, below is the 2023 content cadence. Please note that the first half of the year remains essentially unchanged, but the second half of the year now has an update devoted to addressing issues/quality of life improvements and an update devoted to a large new tentpole system.

• Q1: Dungeon DLC.
  • Q2: Full-featured Chapter in June. The 2023 ESO Chapter will be a complete story: you will be able to play all the way through it without a storyline that is broken out and reserved for later in the year. We will return to larger/better and more detailed Chapters by doing this. We are REALLY excited about next year's Chapter—for details, you'll have to wait for our Global Reveal Event in January. But one hint: this will be part one of a multi-year story arc and will contain one of the most requested new features.
  • Q3: Focus on Quality-of-Life improvements and bug fixes.
  • Q4: Rather than the usual zone DLC, we'll be featuring a new system. We are working on the concept and design for this now; we’ll give more details during our Global Reveal Event early next year.
Looking back at ESO's evolution since 2014, you can see that we often shake things up, try new things, and make changes as needed. So, we will assess how this new cadence is received—both by the development team and in the community. If we have to make more adjustments, we will.
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/63363

Late Bloomer

Scholar
ESO Looking Forward

In general, there are two types of content in ESO: hand-crafted, such as quests, stories and things you do one time per character; and systems, which are activities that are generally repeatable such as PvP, dungeons, trials, housing, daily crafting writs, etc. We have always had a mix of the two types of content, but in terms of Dev Team hours, the majority of time developing the game has been weighted towards questing content.

As I mentioned above, the big news for 2023 is that based in significant part on player feedback, we are now at the point where we are reassessing the balance of hand-crafted "one-and-done" storytelling content versus repeatable game activities.

ESO is a massive game with a huge number of zones, quests, and systems. We have created 40 or so hours of hand-built content EVERY YEAR since 2015, as well as a myriad of dungeons and new systems like One Tamriel, thieving, assassinations, companions, Tales of Tribute, antiquities, crafting writs, housing, graphical character customization, solo/group arenas, PVP battlegrounds, and much more.

Now that we have hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds!) of hours of questing content, enough for four or five regular RPGs, we are hearing from our new players that the sheer number of zones and stories and characters is intimidating. And, on the other hand, our veteran players consistently tell us that they would like more content that isn't played through just once—they would like more content they can enjoy for years; content that utilizes our already existing zones to add new things to do, and most importantly, introduces some new gameplay.  

Moving Forward to 2023

Given the above, 2023 will see us moving away from the "Year Long Adventure” 12-month storylines that we have featured since 2019's Season of the Dragon. I think these have run their course and frees us up to do some new and interesting content that we've been wanting to do for a few years now—and lets us return to expansive story arcs that unfold over multiple Chapters. This year-long strategy was a huge success and raised the profile of ESO, but now after four straight years, we're finding more and more that this cadence limits what we can do.

So, below is the 2023 content cadence. Please note that the first half of the year remains essentially unchanged, but the second half of the year now has an update devoted to addressing issues/quality of life improvements and an update devoted to a large new tentpole system.

• Q2: Full-featured Chapter in June. The 2023 ESO Chapter will be a complete story: you will be able to play all the way through it without a storyline that is broken out and reserved for later in the year. We will return to larger/better and more detailed Chapters by doing this. We are REALLY excited about next year's Chapter—for details, you'll have to wait for our Global Reveal Event in January. But one hint: this will be part one of a multi-year story arc and will contain one of the most requested new features.
  • Q4: Rather than the usual zone DLC, we'll be featuring a new system. We are working on the concept and design for this now; we’ll give more details during our Global Reveal Event early next year.
Looking back at ESO's evolution since 2014, you can see that we often shake things up, try new things, and make changes as needed. So, we will assess how this new cadence is received—both by the development team and in the community. If we have to make more adjustments, we will.

TLDR version = We had to let a lot of people go because our game is shit. We can't tell stories anymore because it takes a lot of writing and voice acting and that take a lot of work. We will just make low effort content like every other MMO instead.

Dr1f7

Scholar
ESO Looking Forward

Moving Forward to 2023

TLDR version = We had to let a lot of people go because our game is shit. We can't tell stories anymore because it takes a lot of writing and voice acting and that take a lot of work. We will just make low effort content like every other MMO instead.
lol
going forward we will release 1 dungeon 1 quest and 1 store update
pls updoot :)

soulburner

Cipher
I played a bit of Skyrim lately and I'm kind of hungry for more Elder Scrolls.

Is buying ESO a good idea for single player and for someone who hates MMOs in general? I found a few people saying exactly this, but I'd like to hear from the Codex.

Also, there seems to have been quite a few DLCs released. Do I have to search for some sort of a complete edition of the game, which costs hundres of dollars, or is there another way? I do not plan to use any form of monthly subscription, though, it's too expensive in potato currency.

PS: I read somewhere that all content in the game is level scaled in a way that each quest is at the exact same level as the player is. Is this fun at all or will I constantly find my arrows underpowered?

ADL

Prophet
I'm extremely far into the endgame and have never subscribed since I've always bought the content outright. Crafting bag is a bitch but ultimately avoidable if you avoid crafting entirely or are willing to get creative with the ridiculous amount of storage available to you. The monetization is almost entirely avoidable as well if you're willing to grind dailies to earn skins that come out of the loot boxes and trade gold for the DLCs you'll be missing. Inconvenient but doable if you start trading.

Priority DLCs in order. These have mechanics or activities associated with them which makes them worth having.
Orsinium->The Dark Brotherhood->Clockwork City->Murkmire->Thieves Guild.
Everything else is extremely optional and if you are really tight on cash you can play through them during ESO+ (subscription) trial events they have every so often.

Is buying ESO a good idea for single player and for someone who hates MMOs in general? I found a few people saying exactly this
Absolutely. It's extremely solo-friendly with one of the expansions included in the collection linked below even adding NPC companions to the game.
PS: I read somewhere that all content in the game is level scaled in a way that each quest is at the exact same level as the player is. Is this fun at all or will I constantly find my arrows underpowered?
God I wish they did it like that. That's the Guild Wars 2 scaling system and I like that way more than One Tamriel's system. Everything is scaled to the gear cap level (Champion Point 160) so you actually get less powerful as you level without consumable buffs until you hit CP160 then power creep to the fucking moon from a bunch of passive bonuses and gear. I like the game a lot but I don't play anymore due to lack of difficulty scaling in non-instanced PvE content because I'm capable of one-shotting everything with my fully kitted out characters. This is one of the most common complaints for endgame players, which makes me hopeful that it will be fixed one day. Even for new players, the overland PvE experience is braindead and only gets easier with practically no mechanics to speak of until you start doing veteran dungeons.
Also, there seems to have been quite a few DLCs released. Do I have to search for some sort of a complete edition of the game, which costs hundres of dollars, or is there another way? I do not plan to use any form of monthly subscription, though, it's too expensive in potato currency.
There is no "complete edition" including various zone and dungeon DLCs but this is thousands of hours of content and as mentioned above you can earn the rest in game if you want.
$15USD for the base game plus every chapter (what they call their retail expansions).
https://gg.deals/pack/the-elder-scrolls-online-collection-high-isle/
$20USD if you want the Collector's Edition of everything for a bunch of cool armor and mount skins https://gg.deals/pack/the-elder-scrolls-online-collection-high-isle-collectors-edition/

tl;dr - Difficult to say it's not worth $15 for the game+Imperial City DLC now included and six expansions. If you do start playing, you'll hate it just like me in five years but that's fine. Also forgot to mention Cyrodiil's three faction PvP. It's tons of fun but incredibly unbalanced, tons of technical issues and it's never getting fixed.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane

Is buying ESO a good idea for single player and for someone who hates MMOs in general? I found a few people saying exactly this, but I'd like to hear from the Codex.

Everything up to summerset isle is good (story, characters, quests, dungeons, and the "raids"), the later expansions are low-effort cash grabs that feel like oversized small content areas with questionable decisions. All the solo overworld content is easy you won't feel challenged that much, group content such as world bosses and dungeons on the other hand, are more challenging, if you want to test your patience there are solo arenas that are extremely punishing.

Tl;DR- It's hard to recommend not knowing what you like, game peaked at summerset isle in my opinion by that point the combat felt like a chore and everything else felt tiresome. PVP is fun but also frustrating... if you want more elder scrolls, yeah... sure go ahead.

Edit: if they revamp the combat and change the game engine then it would be probably one the best MMOs out there.

no. just no. to pretty much all your questions.
it takes the worst from oblivion and on, and from the worst mmorpgs, and fuses it into the greatest turd.
the world is so leveled that if you gain a level while fighting, suddenly you might die because the equipment became obsolete. you're never powerful. in the regular 50 levels. then you spend some months grinding champion levels and at some point can steamroll group bosses alone.*

*edit: IF you are one of the blessed, overpowered classes. if not, you're going to suck forever.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The level scaling killed this game for me, it's the most retarded shit ever. Otherwise it's decent time waster solo and the public dungeon areas are fun to do with randoms.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The level scaling killed this game for me, it's the most retarded shit ever. Otherwise it's decent time waster solo and the public dungeon areas are fun to do with randoms.
For the longest time people on the game's sub defended the world level scaling as an essential part of what made the game great.

Could never understand that rationale, making a game trivial makes it a proper rpg?

Also one thing that zenimax never made easy was the player economy. A serverwide auction house is essential for MMOs. Add to that the backwards grouping tools, compared to wow it was a massive step back

Also one thing that zenimax never made easy was the player economy. A serverwide auction house is essential for MMOs. Add to that the backwards grouping tools, compared to wow it was a massive step back
that, i'm not entirely sure.
trade in eso is very "local", you physically visit merchants and evaluate prices. it reminded me of anarchy online, where the database of sales was serverwide but the distances were ENORMOUS so you had also to compare how easy to reach was the kiosk selling the cheapest item you wanted. eso loses a bit of this because once you unlock teleport stones anything can't be farther than a couple minutes, but anything that gives character, meaning, to zones is fine in my eyes.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Proxy,

The tide of fate swirls around you with glorious fury and has chosen you to serve as its surrogate in a crisis most perilous. The future of at least two worlds hangs in the balance. Your talent for changing destiny has been noticed, hence the reason for this letter.

Many paths lead forward, but only one ends with the survival of Nirn. At this particular moment, in this specific instance, you must be the thread that keeps reality itself from unraveling.

I shall summon you as soon as the inescapable fortunes of consequence show me where we are needed most.

Leramil the Wise

https://www.eurogamer.net/this-myst...r-has-fans-speculating-about-upcoming-content

ADL

Prophet
IGN fucked up. Q4 veteran overland feature or bust.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom

Telvanni Peninsula & Apocrypha

Explore the Telvanni Peninusla, home to towering mushrooms, rocky spires, and Necrom city with its expansive catacombs. Behold the Forbidden Books of the Endless Library & the mind-bending wonder of Chroma Incognito, in the realm of Apocrypha.

Shadow Over Morrowind

The Prince of Fate holds secrets too dangerous for mortals or Daedra to comprehend. Now hidden yet turbulent powers threaten Hermaeus Mora's realm of Apocrypha and if the Daedric Prince's secret is uncovered, it could unravel all of reality.
New Class: Arcanist

Become empowered by the secrets of Apocrypha and the forbidden knowledge of Hermaeus Mora. The Arcanist is a powerful new Class capable of destructive, restorative, or defensive magic by channeling the arcane, ancient runes and lost tomes of power.
New Companions Have Arrived

Two new allies seeking grand quests and glory! Unlock the Arcanist-power-wielding Redguard and Argonian Warden Companions to battle by your side and keep you company on your journies across all of Tamriel.

Seethe

Arbiter

The worst part of the game imho is that the overworld content is braindead easy

ADL

Prophet
No veteran overland in 2023. The Q4 feature they got everyone excited about was endless dungeons which might be cool but still just more instanced shit for veteran players to isolate themselves in to ignore the rest of the game. Guess I'm not playing which is a shame because the Arcanist class and the Telvanni Peninsula look neat.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Arcanist class overview

Not really liking the triangles floating around the character and other spell effects.. They just look odd.

Gerrard

Arcane
Adding a new class to a game where all classes are already so homogenized seems like the biggest waste of time and resources. Dumbasses will eat it up though.

Lhynn

Arcane
Tried this for like 3 hours.

How are people playing this crap without just dying? Its one of the absolute worst mmos around. Mobile MMOs are better.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom - Exploring the Arcanist

This video explores the new class that comes out on with Necrom on June 5th (june 20th consoles)

Sykar

Arcane
Looks about 1000x better than Dragons Dogma 2.
you okay dude?
village_idiot.gif

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom