Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Fury - road movie-inspired full 3D sequel to Ion Fury

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Game Description: Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison is back in this highly interactive mix of first person action and road movie adventure. Embark on an adrenaline-fueled journey around the USA. Use an enormous arsenal of weapons and skills to battle treacherous soldiers and vile mutants, all while trying to save mankind.

We're happy to announce a public demo of Phantom Fury, courtesy of Realms Deep! In this video, 3D Realms CEO Frederik Schreiber and Daniel Hedjazi of Phoenix Game Productions/Slipgate Ironworks sat down to talk a bit about the demo.

geno

Savant
Played the demo (which is about three seconds long). Hmm. The potential's definitely there but it feels very first draft. Enemy AI sucks and weapons don't feel impactful or fun to fire at all.

Train level's also a bit of a weird one to pick as the demo level of a game that they're boasting has high levels of environmental interactivity, since there's basically nothing you can actually do other than pick up a few crates and throw them.

Still interested in the game overall.
I think we have a Phantom Fury thread.

Lemming42

Arcane
Played the demo (which is about three seconds long). Hmm. The potential's definitely there but it feels very first draft. Enemy AI sucks and weapons don't feel impactful or fun to fire at all.

Train level's also a bit of a weird one to pick as the demo level of a game that they're boasting has high levels of environmental interactivity, since there's basically nothing you can actually do other than pick up a few crates and throw them.

Still interested in the game overall.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Was the demo removed ? I find the Steam Page but no way to actually download it.

edit : Steam Community hub says it's shit and it should be delayed until 2025.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not only that, but I could swear the "Play Demo" button used to be where the "Buy game" button used to be, so this is where I was looking.

ferratilis

Magister
The demo sucks ass. AI barely exists, guns don't feel like they have any impact, it's just a series of corridors with mediocre encounters. FPS games live and die by their gunplay, and it's just bad in this. Usually, when you release a demo, there should be some hook, something that will make the player remember the game until the full release, and want to buy it. No such thing here. Removed from wishlist.

toughasnails

Yeah, the gunplay is the worst offender here. Not just the sound effect or actual damage output of guns, there is just no satisfying feedback on hitting enemies. Even with the shotgun, if you hit a guy anywhere save the head there will be no jerk, he won't stop or slow down for a moment. There is nothing save the blood splatter.
So yes, the thing feels VERY rough. I'm gonna take a guess that they rushed to release anything playable in time for Realms Deep due to reputation that developed around the new 3D Realms as an unreliable vaporware company.

orcinator

Liturgist
Yeah it sucks. Only emotion I felt was when I soyfaced when the Space Marines™ Drop Pod™ (Available for only $55) appeared.

The Twilek rapes this game (perpetuating the cycle).

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
The demo is really bad. The enemy AI and lack of hit reactions reminds me of Blood 2. But Blood 2 was more fun.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
The demo is really bad. The enemy AI and lack of hit reactions reminds me of Blood 2. But Blood 2 was more fun.
Blood 2 has some of the most satisfying gibs among shooters even if enemies don't react before exploding into a gory mess. The graphics of Blood 2 are also underrated, peak 90's edge.

Could tell this was going to be a stinker from a long way, sometimes you just know. Despite the lack of personality (or more like a lack of good flicks to steal from) of Ion Fury it's going to be a hard act to follow up on outside the Build Engine. An earlier trailer was trying to capture the DNF2001 trailer spirit, but having played the actual leak of that build, the textures in that game was higher resolution than you get in many games made today, and the glass physics were still impressive. Meanwhile Fury Road seems more faux-retro than Ion Fury ever did, with pixels the size of fists on textures when games built on the Quake 2 engine like Sin looked much better than this, already back then hardware accelerated graphics enabled filters to make things smoother. It's like they don't even know what style they are going for, because DNF had that crisp early photo-realism going on, like Max Payne had.

This is the DNF aesthetic, the rainy section on the rooftop that was one of the most completed parts blew my mind when playing the leak but I don't have any screenshots of that.

dnf2001-1iqfna.jpg

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Yeah, the gunplay is the worst offender here. Not just the sound effect or actual damage output of guns, there is just no satisfying feedback on hitting enemies.
Can confirm after playing it, shooting things feels bad. It was a mistake putting this demo out if they plan on fixing this because it just gives you a terrible first impression of the game. The mouse movement also felt off, like the game was made with a controller in mind and they just barely got M+K support working.

ScarredBushido

Liturgist
Blood 2 has some of the most satisfying gibs among shooters even if enemies don't react before exploding into a gory mess. The graphics of Blood 2 are also underrated, peak 90's edge.

Could tell this was going to be a stinker from a long way, sometimes you just know. Despite the lack of personality (or more like a lack of good flicks to steal from) of Ion Fury it's going to be a hard act to follow up on outside the Build Engine. An earlier trailer was trying to capture the DNF2001 trailer spirit, but having played the actual leak of that build, the textures in that game was higher resolution than you get in many games made today, and the glass physics were still impressive. Meanwhile Fury Road seems more faux-retro than Ion Fury ever did, with pixels the size of fists on textures when games built on the Quake 2 engine like Sin looked much better than this, already back then hardware accelerated graphics enabled filters to make things smoother. It's like they don't even know what style they are going for, because DNF had that crisp early photo-realism going on, like Max Payne had.

This is the DNF aesthetic, the rainy section on the rooftop that was one of the most completed parts blew my mind when playing the leak but I don't have any screenshots of that.

dnf2001-1iqfna.jpg
DNF also nails the glass shattering effects. they put alot of work into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom