Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Fury - road movie-inspired full 3D sequel to Ion Fury

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/phantom_fury?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1733240/view/5376757832858093473

Announcing Phantom Fury - starring Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison!

We are happy to announce Phantom Fury, a road movie-inspired first-person shooter starring Ion Fury’s Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison developed by Slipgate Ironworks and published by 3D Realms! Shelly embarks on her next action-packed adventure on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC in 2023.

Years after Shelly’s fight against Jadus Heskel, an old colleague rouses her from a coma. She awakens with a bionic arm capable of incredible feats and a new mission: track down the dangerous Demon Core, an artifact capable of unprecedented destruction before villains get their hands on it.

Set off on an adrenaline-amped adventure across the USA to battle menacing soldiers, vicious cyborgs, vile mutants, and challenging bosses. Blast through enemies in satisfying skirmishes in seedy Albuquerque hotels, explore abandoned facilities in Los Alamos, defend the streets of Chicago, and delve into more sinister locations on her journey.

Phantom Fury’s world features an incredible amount of interactivity. Pilot helicopters, solve environmental puzzles, hack into fully usable computers, play arcade machines and air hockey, and much more — if you see it, you can probably play with it. Each mission comes with surprising ways to interact and creatively circumvent obstacles.

Shelly’s predisposition for powerful weapons requires an awesome arsenal, and Slipgate Ironworks delivers. Wield more than 20 weapons, from her trusty Loverboy revolver and Bowling Bombs to new equipment like armor-piercing shotguns, electrified foam shooting devices, and controllable drones. Upgrade armaments with mods like new fire functions to unleash hell. Unlock new abilities for Shelly’s nifty new arm like punch attacks and electric shields to overcome challenges on the way to the Demon Core.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I can't be the only one, who thinks this looks like Duke Nukem Forever trailer on crack, do I? It's basically ripped off many of the cutscenes from that, including the codebox sequence etc.

It's not a bad thing. Looks cool

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's a sequel to Ion Maiden but 3D, no sprites?

and it's in the SIN universe?
are they planning to create some universe that mix up those old, forgotten titles into one pulp?

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
I can't be the only one, who thinks this looks like Duke Nukem Forever trailer on crack, do I? It's basically ripped off many of the cutscenes from that, including the codebox sequence etc.

I think they were intentional references. The most blatant one was "you think that arm makes you look cool or something" in reference to Gus the miner telling Duke "you think those sunglasses make you look cool or something." Also I wonder what the end of the trailer is supposed to be showing. I thought it was new footage of SiN Reloaded but the player character still has Shelly's robot arm.

Lemming42

Arcane
That's a surprise. Very interested in this, Ion Fury was the highlight of the whole throwback shooter revival IMO. Other than Half-Life and DNF I'm also getting a NOLF vibe.

Hyped as fuck, if they make this work and it's to Half-Life as Ion Fury was to Blood, it could be one of the best FPS games in many years.

John Blade SUCKS though.

geno

Savant
Keep in mind that Phantom Fury is being developed by Slipgate, not Voidpoint. Oasiz from Voidpoint said this on discord:
Nah, that's a different team altogether. I did see phantom this february for a bit but "Ion" games are basically a thing of their own

soulburner

Cipher
This looks pretty awesome. I like the DNF vibe, not sure what to think about the SiN stuff yet, but in general, this trailer was probably the most interesting one I've seen this year. Yes, even better than Starfield.

I'm not a fan of the 3D-with-pixels kind of look, though. It fits the original Quake but 'true' 3D games exploded after the introduction of 3dfx cards, which brought two things: performance and filtered textures. Retro != pixels, so I hope there's a toggle to enable bilinear filtering.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's a "retro FPS", so maybe idTech 3 or idTech 4? Though Console release would require they (also) get a commercial license from (ultimately) Microsoft given GNU GPL is basically impossible on console. Intentionally outdated Unreal version could work too.

AndyS

Augur

I think they were intentional references. The most blatant one was "you think that arm makes you look cool or something" in reference to Gus the miner telling Duke "you think those sunglasses make you look cool or something." Also I wonder what the end of the trailer is supposed to be showing. I thought it was new footage of SiN Reloaded but the player character still has Shelly's robot arm.
Wasn't Bombshell originally designed for the older versions of Duke Nukem Forever?

randir14

Augur

Wasn't Bombshell originally designed for the older versions of Duke Nukem Forever?
Yeah she was supposed to be Duke's "frenemy" in the older DNF iterations. Interceptor was developing a Duke Nukem isometric shooter, but Gearbox threatened to sue so they switched to the Bombshell character which Gearbox didn't have the rights to. They also had to make other changes, like General Graves being changed to General Holloway, and Earth Defense Forces being changed to Global Defense Forces.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
At the very least it looks like environments have some variety, which was my main problem with Ion Fury.

Cautiously interested

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

Exactly what I was thinking. Trailer seems to be a homage to the original DNF2001 trailer.

toughasnails

I like the visuals even though they feel a bit weird. Like UE1 look crossed with Source, which does fit given the era of games this seems to be inspired by, but with pixelated textures.
Anyway hype... Looks like we are getting that DNF '01 even if the modders don't end up producing anything worthwhile from the leaked material.

Star Citizen

Learned
Looked sorta cool up until the actual gunplay. Feedback when shooting enemies looked weak as fuck, the ragdoll physics really don't mesh well at all with that visual style. The way they lurch into rag after soaking up bullets looks soulless and cheap, they should use death animations instead imo. Also what's with the jaggedness/pixilation on models/textures and lack of consistency in the overall style? Some assets look from the PS 1's era, others from the 2000's and some modern.

toughasnails

Ragdolls are kinda standard for the HL2 era shooters which is what they are trying to evoke here. And many people actually appreciate them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom