Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion technology interview at Beyond3D

Tintin

Arbiter
... as opposed to what he'd gain in praise by winning over the angstiest Oblivion site on the internet.

That will never happen.

HardCode

Erudite
That depends on what they are hiding about the role-playing elements.

elander_

Arbiter
None of the Elderscrolls games did ever compare to Fallout in terms of dialog choices and memorable characters so people are not demanding much. But hey even some crappy example of a complete quest would help clearing out the doubts about how Oblivion dialog will be in rp terms.

This stuff is leting Bethesda in a very unconfortable position. They have provided feedback about everything except dialog role-playing elements.

Avin

Liturgist
i honestly believe that bethesda is, at least, trying, because of msfd here in the codex... althought i believe they're here just for fun and spread false hope :)

7th Circle

Scholar
GhanBuriGhan said:
In that case I retract my earlier statement. And thanks for trying, I would have loved to see that interview. Pete sucks for that. It's not the first sign of insecurity with regards to the game he has shown, and its starting to reflect badly on the Bethesda team as a whole.

The irony is that, if there actually is some decent role-playing features in Oblivion, the PR approach is actually hiding them and generating bad publicity.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Got to be said that the definition of 'roleplaying' vs 'action' is a little hazy. Dark Alliance gets roleplaying, Dark Alliance II gets action. They're basically the same game but somehow different in XBox world.

German censor called Oblivion an action orientated RPG.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
ExMonk said:
Are you people for real? Why would Pete Hines want to allow the most vocal critic of Oblivion on a web site highly critical of Oblivion to do an interview? Right. VD do an interview of Oblivion. Aren't you the one who claimed you couldn't think of one positive thing to say about OB when I asked you? All you've done is to mock the game and its makers ad nauseum. Why should Hines trust you to do a "fair" interview when you've never shown any fairness toward Oblivion whatsoever? And what possible purpose would allowing you to interview them serve? What benefit would there be for them? None. As a result of the interview will they win any of you over? Hardly. You'll just find more to bitch about. Then what other benefit would there be? Increase sales? Most of you are going to buy the game anyway, despite your incessant bitching.

Are you people really so clueless about how you're perceived? Get out the smelling salts.

Why don't you read the thread about the RPGdot interview with the NWN2 Devs. It was a pretty good interview that asked questions VD probably would have. THe feed back here is pretty positive now which one wouldn't think possible with all the NWN1 bashing and the zero interest in NWN2 (outside of Volorne) prior to the interview. True, it might only translate into a couple hundred more sales but it cost them nothing except some time.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tintin said:
... as opposed to what he'd gain in praise by winning over the angstiest Oblivion site on the internet.

That will never happen.
Given the dialogue revelation of late, I'd have to say I agree with you.

Still, you never know. I mean, the Second Coming of Jesus might be just around the corner too.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
micmu said:
7th Circle said:
The irony is that, if there actually is some decent role-playing features in Oblivion, the PR approach is actually hiding them and generating bad publicity.
Reality is, they are selling it as an action game on the primary xbox site: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=Oblivion
(Site has an RPG section.)
Genre: Action

Yeah, I'd noticed that too. Dunno why. We're certainly developing Oblivion and marketing it as an RPG.

ExMonk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

We probably shouldn't continue sending these love letters on the codex where anyone can see them...

As far as measuring your offensiveness by MSFD coming here, try again. He obviously is a masochist. Most devs would not take a fraction of the abuse heaped on their company that codexers have heaped on them. Why he continues to come here to do damage control makes no sense unless he has masochistic tendencies, which he obviously has. He reminds me of the nerd that so badly wants to be popular with the jocks that he hangs around them even though they constantly insult him. [and yes, I know that he claims that he comes here to learn about rpg's].

Most devs or people are not like him, however. They tend to be more like Pete Hines or Todd Howard. Most devs tend to be rightly offended by sites that routinely mock their product (and them personally) and refuse to say anything positive. They tend to want to avoid such places.

Now, if rpgcodex attracted tens of thousands of readers, it would make sense for them to step into the lion's den. If IGN or Gamespot was bashing OB the way rpgcodex does, Beth might want to grant them an exclusive interview to answer their concerns. That would make sense. But rpgcodex doesn't attract thousands. So what is the point?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ExMonk said:
Vault Dweller said:

We probably shouldn't continue sending these love letters on the codex where anyone can see them...
Why not? Don't like losing in public?

As far as measuring your offensiveness by MSFD coming here, try again. He obviously is a masochist.
I have never seen that Occam's Razor principle being used so elegantly. Yes, that is the most logical explanation. Bravo!

Most devs would not take a fraction of the abuse heaped on their company that codexers have heaped on them.
Don't forget Feargus, Fargo, Gaider, MCA, Sawyer, Ohle, etc

Why he continues to come here to do damage control makes no sense unless he has masochistic tendencies, which he obviously has. He reminds me of the nerd that so badly wants to be popular with the jocks that he hangs around them even though they constantly insult him. [and yes, I know that he claims that he comes here to learn about rpg's].
Hmm, am I mistaken or is this the most offensive - truly offensive - thing anyone ever said to MSFD? You are being a dick right now, you do know that?

Most devs or people are not like him, however. They tend to be more like Pete Hines or Todd Howard. Most devs tend to be rightly offended by sites that routinely mock their product (and them personally) and refuse to say anything positive. They tend to want to avoid such places.
A fun fact: Todd Howard did an interview with DAC. Also, I'm curious, what makes you an expert on game developers?

Now, if rpgcodex attracted tens of thousands of readers, it would make sense for them to step into the lion's den. If IGN or Gamespot was bashing OB the way rpgcodex does, Beth might want to grant them an exclusive interview to answer their concerns. That would make sense. But rpgcodex doesn't attract thousands. So what is the point?
ExMonk, baby, it's clear to me that you lack understanding of way too many things. I doubt that I would be able to fix the damage, done by your religious zeal and training your brain not to think, in a few posts. If you want to learn, open your big fucking eyes and ask yourself why people do this or that. If the answer is "he/she is a masochist or infidel", think again.

God bless you, my child. You will find the light eventually.

ExMonk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk, baby, it's clear to me that you lack understanding of way too many things. I doubt that I would be able to fix the damage, done by your religious zeal and training your brain not to think, in a few posts. If you want to learn, open your big fucking eyes and ask yourself why people do this or that. If the answer is "he/she is a masochist or infidel", think again.

God bless you, my child. You will find the light eventually.

So predictable. Yes, religious training is always the problem, isn't it? People who have been trained in religion are incapable of thinking, aren't they? If you want to insult me, insult my intelligence, experience or something else. For once, try not to bring religion into it. :roll:

Have I ever called anyone an infidel? No. I did say that those who disagree with the consensus on the codex are treated like rpg infidels or heretics. I did say that I see more "fundamentalism," by the likes of you, than I do in many religious discussions I've been involved in. And I stand by that.

My point to you is that words and actions have consequences, something you seem to fail to understand. The majority of people here have made a sport of bashing Bethesda since I registered several months ago. Bashed. Questioned their integrity, their motives, their honestry. Insulted. Mocked. Ridiculed. Somewhere in all this there have been several worthy critiques. Most of it has just been crap. I may not have loads of experience with game developers but I do have loads of experience with people, of all races, religions, ages, etc. As a rule, people do not respond well to relentless criticism.

You are a case in point. Look at how you react when I criticize you.

Which is the point I've been making in this thread. Get it now?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ExMonk said:
People who have been trained in religion are incapable of thinking, aren't they?
Only people who take it too fucking seriously. I'm not talking about believing in something, but BELIEVING if you catch my drift: replacing brains, and often hearts, with the Bible.

Rufus, the 13th apostle: He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.

Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?

Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

If you want to insult me, insult my intelligence, experience or something else. For once, try not to bring religion into it. :roll:
I wasn't aware there are rules, but ok.

Have I ever called anyone an infidel?
It was a joke, chill.

My point to you is that words and actions have consequences, something you seem to fail to understand.
Me stupid. Me not know better. Me be good now.

So, am I to understand that criticizing someone is wrong, and no good journalist should ever do that otherwise nobody would talk to him/her because people only like to hear nice things about them?

The majority of people here have made a sport of bashing Bethesda since I registered several months ago. Bashed. Questioned their integrity, their motives, their honestry. Insulted. Mocked. Ridiculed. Somewhere in all this there have been several worthy critiques. Most of it has just been crap.
Of course. Crap. Thanks for judging our criticism. Appreciate your input and all that.

I may not have loads of experience with game developers but I do have loads of experience with people, of all races, religions, ages, etc. As a rule, people do not respond well to relentless criticism.
Really?!! I did NOT know that. I should probably hire you as my consultant or something, what with you being so smart and experienced with people and shit and all.

Now, here is how I see it. Criticism is bad for developers only in one case: when it's justified, correct, and they have nothing to say back.

You are a case in point. Look at how you react when I criticize you.
I explain my position, that's all. Do you see me crying? Ignoring your posts? Calling you names? Summarizing your post as "ExMonk's bullshit" which is what you did 2 posts back?

Balor

Arcane
I wonder why he's ExMonk...
Kicked out of the church for too much zeal and conducting human sacrifices?

obediah

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
micmu said:
7th Circle said:
Reality is, they are selling it as an action game on the primary xbox site: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=Oblivion
(Site has an RPG section.)
Genre: Action

Yeah, I'd noticed that too. Dunno why. We're certainly developing Oblivion and marketing it as an RPG.

Perhaps it's based on their experience playing it?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
obediah said:
Perhaps it's based on their experience playing it?

To be fair, it's more likely to be because that site if by retards for retards. Have a look in all the game categories, there's some odd categorisation.

Oblivion may or may not be RPG lite but it certainly fits my definition of what the industry is currently calling Action RPG.

HardCode

Erudite
ExMonk said:
Most devs tend to be rightly offended by sites that routinely mock their product (and them personally) and refuse to say anything positive.

Sites don't mock people, people mock people. Last time I checked, HTML didn't create itself. Anyway, I don't see anyone attacking devs personally, like, "OMFG FU MSFD!!1!!!1" or anything like that.

Hell, this site has the best forumer-to-dev communication out there, because here the devs aren't bound by the rules of their own companies' forums.

Lumpy

Arcane
HardCode said:
ExMonk said:
Most devs tend to be rightly offended by sites that routinely mock their product (and them personally) and refuse to say anything positive.

Sites don't mock people, people mock people. Last time I checked, HTML didn't create itself. Anyway, I don't see anyone attacking devs personally, like, "OMFG FU MSFD!!1!!!1" or anything like that.

Hell, this site has the best forumer-to-dev communication out there, because here the devs aren't bound by the rules of their own companies' forums.
I think they are. MSFD said that he was "dying" to talk about Script Effect, but never did before Raptormeat.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
HardCode said:
ExMonk said:
MSites don't mock people, people mock people. Last time I checked, HTML didn't create itself. Anyway, I don't see anyone attacking devs personally, like, "OMFG FU MSFD!!1!!!1" or anything like that.

Actually we had quite a bit or the latter too, if I recall correctly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom