Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion technology interview at Beyond3D

Twinfalls

Erudite
You're making an issue where there isn't one.

Well it seems dialogue and choices in RPGs aren't an issue of any interest to Bethesda.

But that doesn't mean that you couldn't contact the Respected Individual of your choice and suggest he contact us for an interview.

Okay, expect to hear soon from Jeff K.

Zomg

Arbiter
Codex: "Have you stopped raping little boys?"
Beth: "Umm..."

Edit - In seriousness, have there been entreaties made for a Codex interview? I think the Codex has the expertise to ask really penetrating questions about dialogue, consequences, world dynamism, etc. especially if the whole hivemind was turned to the task and open hostility was paused.

Tintin

Arbiter
Edit - In seriousness, have there been entreaties made for a Codex interview? I think the Codex has the expertise to ask really penetrating questions about dialogue, consequences, world dynamism, etc. especially if the whole hivemind was turned to the task and open hostility was paused.

Yes, I'm sure Bethesda will be more than willing to host an interview with a small site which consists of hundreds of exclamations of "BETHESDA SUX" and "I H8 OBLIVION". It's just the kind of audience they're thinking of.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Tintin said:

Yes, I'm sure Bethesda will be more than willing to host an interview with a small site which consists of hundreds of exclamations of "BETHESDA SUX" and "I H8 OBLIVION". It's just the kind of audience they're thinking of.

they sure post here enough

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
I think most of the questions a Codex interview would ask have already been shot down in other previews with things like "we aren't ready to talk about that yet". But if we could get more than that go for it

Levski 1912

Scholar
NoisyKillerHPB said:
I think most of the questions a Codex interview would ask have already been shot down in other previews with things like "we aren't ready to talk about that yet". But if we could get more than that go for it
In other words, they're stalling so they can craft some high-quality BS to ram down our throats.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Tintin said:

If they are willing to demonstrate that Oblivion has genuine RPG credentials and has well crafted story lines and quests, then the Codex is an ideal place to have an interview.

In between the bullshit and the hyperbole, the Codex presents some of the best critiques of the roleplaying genre from a roleplaying perspective.

Besides, surely they're bored of "cool, hawt gfx" interviews by now.

Dreagon

Scholar
!HyPeRbOy! said:
I cant believe no one on the codex hasn't already tried scoring an interview with Beth.

Oh yeah, I can see that interview right now.

Codex: Today we have MSFD with us, to answer a few quick but pertinent questions in regards to their upcoming RPG *cough* bullshit *cough* title

MSFD: Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Codex: Sure. It will be fine. Relax. We're all friends here.

MSFD: Okay.

Codex: First question. How can you possibly show your face in public after the damage you have done to the whole concept of RPG's with this latest, dumbed down travesty of a console port.

MSFD: Oh boy......

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
To be fair, I don't think it's Bethesda's role to hunt down and ask gaming websites to interview them. That said, there is of course all the information they release on their own website in the team diaries (Have a look, all of them are about graphics bar one with a designer who is only asked one question about the actual writing) and the e-newsletter. Then couple that with the "Oh gee-willickers, it's too early to comment about that at this stage" response. Yep, I think that's fair.

Seriously though, what questions would we ask beyond "So that huge font, is that visible in space?" or "What's it like writing dialogue when you're limited to 8 words per sentence?" and maybe "Seeing as you've delayed the game 6 months to finish it, can we be promised that Oblivion is actually going to run on anybody's computer when it's finally released?" and finally "How come half the towns are deserted in the videos? Is your engine really incapable of rendering more than 3 people on screen at any one time?".

Okay, so maybe that wasn't very serious and actually, two of those were about the graphics anyway.

Lumpy

Arcane
HardCode said:
Personally, I'd like to see a real content interview. Something that asks the real reason for Levitation being removed, and what was done in its place, if anything. Also, I'd like to find out what is so "great" that replaces the missing weapons and skills. What exactly makes up for all of the removed content. I'd like to know in general terms what makes the quests more deep and involved. I am sure this can be done with metaphor so as not to give away quest specifics. I'd like to know more concrete examples of what was in Morrowind and is no longer in Oblivion. I'd like to know what was done to make up for that change, outside of pretty graphics. I'd like to know what RPG elements were improved upon from Morrowind. I'd like to know how the world is going to react to choices you make for your player character. I'd like to know if there are consequences for quests done in a certain manner (let the guy go or kill him for example). Will that have any effect on the quest giver (and their organization), or will it simply be like letting the "necromancer" in Mar Gaan escape and lie to the quest giver.
The third fan interview will get you all the "we're not ready to talk about that yet" answers you want.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
My team diary had nothing to do with graphics.

True that as your diary gives a very good overview of how combat will be in Oblivion and I thought Emil gave a good insight into his philosophy for the stealth system. But you should still have left the baldness spell in Morrowind and there isn't any discussion on dialogue.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Any Codex interview with Bethesda must be conducted on IRC by Roqua and ~aphatmc. So the real questions can be asked - about whinny bitches, pansy hairy ball-licking, and freestyle dong worship.

HardCode

Erudite
Codex: So, what do you think of Howard Stern?
MSFD: ummm....

Codex: Have you ever made love to a black man?
MSFD: Are you Studdering John?

Codex: Do you think O.J. was guilty?
MSFD: *sigh*

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
!HyPeRbOy! said:
I cant believe no one on the codex hasn't already tried scoring an interview with Beth.

I'm not surprised. It's always easier to bitch than to do better. And of course there is the self-fulfilling "they are not going to answer anyway, and we already know the game sucks" mentality that abounds areound here.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Come on, you guys know they wouldn't answer the kind of questions VD wanted to ask - and as Beth knows it as well, they probably wouldn't consent anyway (as not answering questions would be used against them).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mefi said:
edit: serious offer here, I'd prefer to see someone like Vaultdweller to do the interview but I'd be quite happy to do one if either MSFD or Kathode would be prepared to do it.
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Zomg said:
In seriousness, have there been entreaties made for a Codex interview? I think the Codex has the expertise to ask really penetrating questions about dialogue, consequences, world dynamism, etc. especially if the whole hivemind was turned to the task and open hostility was paused.
I asked for an interview twice, awhile ago and last week. Both Gavin Carter and Steve Meister agreed, Pete didn't. Both times I made it clear that the interview won't be hostile. Oh well....

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
!HyPeRbOy! said:

I'm not surprised. It's always easier to bitch than to do better. And of course there is the self-fulfilling "they are not going to answer anyway, and we already know the game sucks" mentality that abounds areound here.
No kidding?

Micmu

Magister
Why would they give an interview to Codex anyway (for free?) if they don't see enough marketing value in it. That kind of info is reserved for various mainstream magazines, so it's probably not wise to give too much stuff away for free. After all, that's the way they like it (as written by Pete Hines himself)... sort of. In magazines there was much more info than on their official site, so far.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, MSFD and Kathode come here and answer questions (or at least say "fuck you" to people, which is even better in my book), so it's not much of a leap to make it a "formal" interview. I guess Pete Hines is being protective here, which is a shame, because VD would probably do a really solid interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom