Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion modders will design Fallout 3 dungeons!

Nael

Arcane
sheek said:
Un-fucking-believable...

Dregornn@ESF said:
Hey guys leave spot open ill be available in a few years. Im only 14 and im making mods and already doin 3d meshing with 3d studio and such. Ill be looking for this kind of job in a few years.

Lol

I predict he will have an unfortunate accident involving a wooden spoon before he ever graduates high school.

Bradylama

Arcane
don_tomaso said:
W00t? Where have you heard that? source , plz!!

I remember seeing VD blurt it out at the NMA after I predicted they'd have to do as much presuming they made it FPS weeks before (I felt like hot shit).

I think I repeated what he said here somewhere, and he could've said it before I mentioned he said it, but according to VD he got it from "undisclosed sources" in the company.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
don_tomaso said:
Jim Kata said:
Human Shield said:
Oh look an abandoned military base... and another... and another... oh look I killed the mutant leader at level 1.

It's all set in one city, too...how many abandoned military bases and subterrainian areas can there be?

Just read all the interviews.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
There are interviews about F3? I thought they hadn´t revealed anything about the game..

google, here I come..

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bradylama said:
don_tomaso said:

I remember seeing VD blurt it out at the NMA after I predicted they'd have to do as much presuming they made it FPS weeks before (I felt like hot shit).

I think I repeated what he said here somewhere, and he could've said it before I mentioned he said it, but according to VD he got it from "undisclosed sources" in the company.
No, that was in one of the interviews. Something like "set in one city, the most violent game evar!".

callehe

Liturgist
can anyone believe the hypocrisy of bethesda?

one year ago: "no, we won't hire any outside expertise. we bought the fallout franchise so that we may give our developers something else than elderscrolls to work on. tim cain and ex interplay devs can shove it."

now: "omfg, you tesf guys are so cool, do you want to work on fallout 3?!"

wtf?

:?

edit:spelling

whatusername

Scholar
Pete Hines said:
Well, Morrowind had over a million words of text in the game, and given the great success of that game on a console, I don't think text is something that will make or break a game. And obviously turn-based combat has worked well on consoles, since KOTOR blew people away last year and FF has a very large and loyal following. I think what we're finding out is that the stereotype of what a console gamer is, or what they want, isn't necessarily what it used to be. You can't define a game just by what features it has, you really have to define the experience. Some stuff works well on any platform because it's so brilliantly done, and some stuff won't work on any platform because it's the right features with the wrong implementation.

:lol:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
callehe said:

one year ago: "no, we won't hire any outside expertise. we bought the fallout franchise so that we may give our developers something else than elderscrolls to work on. tim cain and ex interplay devs can shove it."

There is a world of difference between hiring experienced developers into positions where they can actually affect the creative direction of the project, and bringing in some kids who know their way around the toolset to do gruntwork making dungeons.

Bethesda may have many flaws, but hypocrisy in this case is not one of them.

callehe

Liturgist
Spectacle said:
callehe said:

There is a world of difference between hiring experienced developers into positions where they can actually affect the creative direction of the project, and bringing in some kids who know their way around the toolset to do gruntwork making dungeons.

Bethesda may have many flaws, but hypocrisy in this case is not one of them.

sigh* yeah i guess. conl the brilliant in house dev team at beth that could have realised that at its core, fallout is a dungeon crawler... hmm

they should at least have asked tim to do the dungeons :D

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Actually, if I recall correctly, FO2 had some small caves every once and a while whenever you found yourself in a random encounter. So it wouldn't be toooooo illogical to put in filler dungeons. Personally, I don't see that being a huge problem as long as they include a few big ones with some good RPG aspects. Hell, I remember wanting to have more places to go in FO and FO2 after completing most of the main storyline.

Random encounters just didn't cut it since you couldn't use any sort of bottlenecking tactics or do any extra exploring. Seriously, this is post-nuke world and I'm certain some really interesting locals could be done if they get enough decent, creative talent. Even if FO was good with the textures and setting the mood, the actual layout of places wasn't really that great.

I am a little disappointed that it seems they will be using the same engine as OB since I don't really see it as effective for either a shooter or pause and/or turn based gameplay. It seems ok for close combat used in OB and for setting up dungeons and landscape...but it is obviously horrible for open air cities and distance combat.

And as far as that one city comment goes...I doubt that'll be the final idea. One of FO's biggest themes has been that of the "Waste Wanderer." It just wouldn't be appropriate to base the game in any single place.

Personally, I think if bethesda actually tried (more than half heartedly) to give the game good dialogue and story then I could see it turning out rather well. They have enough intrigue in many of the Elderscrolls series' books that I would say are on par with those in FO (Not that FO was a very deep game in that department.). Plus, Bloodmoon showed that they are capable of adding choice and consequence to their games.

I'm trying to stay optimistic in light of the fact that this game is not the Elder Scrolls. Beth can release some quality, interesting, inspired works if they feel motivated enough, if the focus is set. You all can bitch and moan incessantly, but I'll save that for school work.

Whatever happens, at least I've got STALKER.

elander_

Arbiter
Jim Kata said:
I dunno. Is fallout even a game where 'dungeons' make sense, or 'levels'?

Good question. Its a very strong possibility they are going to make an Oblivion with guns and have modders creating more than 100 all of the same tiny and boring maps just like they did with Morrowind and Oblivion because it sold.

There were very few undergorund or abandoned areas in Fallout and all had a good reason to be there. Unlike in Morrowind and Oblivion where dungeons are just there for the loot and the beating.

Fucking Bethesda they will ruin my two favorite games of all time.

Volourn said:
The good thing about FO series 'dunegons'f or the most part is that they usually server a purpose more than just being there like most RPG dungeons.

Well said Volourn. Sometimes you are not a moron.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah. You mean when I agree with you, and say stuff that you want to hear. Fuckin' idiot.

elander_

Arbiter
Sylvanus said:
Actually, if I recall correctly, FO2 had some small caves every once and a while whenever you found yourself in a random encounter. So it wouldn't be toooooo illogical to put in filler dungeons. Personally, I don't see that being a huge problem as long as they include a few big ones with some good RPG aspects. Hell, I remember wanting to have more places to go in FO and FO2 after completing most of the main storyline.

Its a problem because most likely they will spend a good part of their resources doing tons of these boring little places by hand. The encounter in FO caves were allways the same so no big deal.

Sylvanus said:
Random encounters just didn't cut it since you couldn't use any sort of bottlenecking tactics or do any extra exploring. Seriously, this is post-nuke world and I'm certain some really interesting locals could be done if they get enough decent, creative talent. Even if FO was good with the textures and setting the mood, the actual layout of places wasn't really that great.

Are you talking about FO? Random encounters and a good world map are essential to rpgs. There were tons of different random encounters in FO many of them not related to combat but to world events. It made the world so much richer and interesting and all that in a resource economic way.

Sylvanus said:
I am a little disappointed that it seems they will be using the same engine as OB since I don't really see it as effective for either a shooter or pause and/or turn based gameplay. It seems ok for close combat used in OB and for setting up dungeons and landscape...but it is obviously horrible for open air cities and distance combat.

Well i don't have a clue how they are going to use a system that was created for TB and to be useful not just for combat but to play with a great variety of chars. Unfortunatly everything i have seen about Beth doesn't make me optimistic in any way possible.

Volourn said:
Yeah. You mean when I agree with you, and say stuff that you want to hear. Fuckin' idiot.

No when you agree with reason.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ie., When I agree with you. Just fuckin'a dmit it you fuckin' bullshit coward.

People who agree with you = THA smart.

Those who don't - THA stupid.

Fuck. Just have the ballz to say it. For fuck sake's.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Volourn said:

Even when you agree with me you are still a fucking idiot. Why? Because you usually agree for idiotic reasons.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Elander, I didn't say that there weren't any random encounters or that they were horrible, just that they didn't slake my thirst for interesting combat.

They didn't even make any real sense as far as your placement. So the waste wanderer is equiped with scoped weapons, sometimes a car, or is a ranged fighter, yet somehow is always waiting until the opponents are all around and within about 12 feet before deciding to attempt shooting...riiiiiiight. The game was turn based which definitely emphasizes strategy...there is no strategy in facing 4 supermutants in the desert, armed with rocket launchers, and are 12 feet away from you.

And everyone is saying they are going to include 100+ "dungeons" in this game too? Oh come on. While this is probably a pet project of theirs, I highly doubt they are going to put that much time into it for that sort of thing...this ain't the Elder Scrolls (besides, after looking at everything else, most of the time had to have been spent on dungeons in OB...and that ain't saying much).

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Sylvanus said:
Elander, I didn't say that there weren't any random encounters or that they were horrible, just that they didn't slake my thirst for interesting combat.

They didn't even make any real sense as far as your placement. So the waste wanderer is equiped with scoped weapons, sometimes a car, or is a ranged fighter, yet somehow is always waiting until the opponents are all around and within about 12 feet before deciding to attempt shooting...riiiiiiight. The game was turn based which definitely emphasizes strategy...there is no strategy in facing 4 supermutants in the desert, armed with rocket launchers, and are 12 feet away from you.

And everyone is saying they are going to include 100+ "dungeons" in this game too? Oh come on. While this is probably a pet project of theirs, I highly doubt they are going to put that much time into it for that sort of thing...this ain't the Elder Scrolls (besides, after looking at everything else, most of the time had to have been spent on dungeons in OB...and that ain't saying much).

Even location was meant to respsent 10 feet or so, but I agree there was no real strategy in the combat.

Using smart tactics would make you win without the save reload fandango, though, even at low levels.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Volourn said:

Ok, cumguzzler.

Volourn = THA stupid.

Bradylama

Arcane
I highly doubt they are going to put that much time into it for that sort of thing...this ain't the Elder Scrolls

So they dropped millions on a title they have no experience designing, and we shouldn't expect them to put effort into making it the cash cow they assume it's gonna be?

FO2 isn't necessarily being praised as the pinacle of game design. There were fundamental flaws with several locations because namely some of the designers didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

The randomized cave systems, however, aren't even in the same league of design approach as the set piece dungeons in Elder Scrolls games.

Fallout's filler was always a matter of chance (as is the case with any game with random encounters) but the kind of exploratory world of an Elder Scrolls game makes dungeons a matter of discovery. Maybe there's something cool inside, but with Oblivion's level-scaling there usually wasn't, and if I recall for Fallout 2, the caves usually didn't have anything cool save for the loot you could grab off of the bandits.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Nael said:
Most likely they'll completely ignore one of the lessons they should've learned and stick with scaled encounters.

Totally. I can't wait to fight me some highwaymen in power armor. Oh, gained a level, I mean <s>advanced</s> enchanted power armor.

HardCode

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Cave systems maybe and underground military bases but not "dungeons".

Those are pretty much the equivelant of dungeons, imo. That's basically what dungeons are - places that you explore where monsters, loot, and mysteries to be explored are. The good thing about FO series 'dunegons'f or the most part is that they usually server a purpose more than just being there like most RPG dungeons.

Also known as maps or levels. Not dungeons. Moron.

galsiah

Erudite
And "levels" makes sense in Fallout does it?
Interesting.

I also thought a "map" was a game content concept, not an in-game feature.
But then what do I know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom