Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OBLIVION GERMAN VIDEO!!!

Seboss

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Hey, cool - there's a strip monopoly? We we're playing a Game of Thrones.

Hey I played one right this afternoon. I played Lannister. I managed to shake off Greyjoy assaults at first but I finally got owned very hard by Baratheon :(
Baratheon wins at round 7.

On topic:
Maybe you RPGcodexers were right after all. Except for all the eye candy, Oblivion looks (and sounds!) goofier every day...

Whipporowill

Erudite
Lord Chambers said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there are people impressed by the video, but unwilling to say so since this is the RPG Codex.

I dare. It looks very good, and a lot better than the stills. That doesn't change the critisism I brought up - facegen, voice talent et c.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Seboss said:
Whipporowill said:
Hey, cool - there's a strip monopoly? We we're playing a Game of Thrones.

Hey I played one right this afternoon. I played Lannister. I managed to shake off Greyjoy assaults at first but I finally got owned very hard by Baratheon :(
Baratheon wins at round 7.

6-player game, played Stark. Got ass-reamed by Baratheons 3 boat fleet on turn 2. Was all downhill from there - Wildling attacks and so on. Ended the game with Moat Cailin and 1 Knight... haha.

Seboss

Liturgist
Beast character look bad. Real bad. Kahjit don't have claws. Tails are stiff. Voice acting -albeit abundant- seems even cornier than Morrowind, and that's quite an exploit.

And about the real-time shadows canned, I couldn't care less if this feature wasn't one of the main highlights of the E3 video. That must have been a hard decision to take. Now a hell lot of people feel robbed.

John_Blazze

Augur
raziel014 said:
Did anyone notice that there aren't any shadows anymore? Only on NPC, so there won't be anymore shadoes from the ribcage and the chain as seen in the E3 video..

Ive read somewhere that this vid was made with some gfx options turned off , but i dont know if its true

...maybe it was just fans self defense?

Data4

Arcane
Seeing it in motion does make it a little better, but I was hoping they'd mix it up with the voice actors. Looks like they're ALL the same from Morrowind. So far, I've heard the same voices as the Imperial male guard outside of the Census office in Morrowind ("Great. I'm sure you'll fit right in"), the female Dunmer voice (which I HATED. Sounds too much like my third grade bitch... er... teacher.), and at the very end of this video, the Redguard voice. Couldn't they have used some new people, celebrities not included?

!HyPeRbOy! said:
OMG, the gay guy is hilarious. He might just be one of the best NPCs in a video game ever. "I'll make it worth your whiiile!" HAHA :lol:

ZOMG!!!! IT'S FARGOTH!!!

Wouldn't surprise me, since everyone seems to have such a hard-on for him.

-D4

Seboss

Liturgist
Yeah Fargoth is the first thing that occured to me when I saw the video.

Zomg

Arbiter
Lord Chambers said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there are people impressed by the video, but unwilling to say so since this is the RPG Codex.

I don't know if it's that I'm too well indoctrinated, but I'm genuinely non-plussed. Partly it's because we've already gotten the screenshot trickle that has set expectations, partly that the Morrowind in Oblivion is painfully evident in those herky-jerk animations, and partly the stunning amalgam of clumsy artifice and intense corniness in that dialog.

I can't even judge the voice acting, because I can't imagine anyone putting life into that stuff.

Micmu

Magister
Kathode said:
Sorry if I was vague. Characters cast shadows on everything. Objects don't cast, they just receive shadows from characters. The exception is the trees - tree canopies cast shadows down on everything like you see in the screenshots.
After all this hype "sneaking in the shadows" and "ribcage casting shadow" (as seen on E3 video in PC version!). Hahaha.

raziel014

Novice
Yeah I know. They really should remove all footage from before this decition. Cause It's really misleading :lol:

John_Blazze

Augur
every new info about this game makes it look worse...maybe in march they will tell us the game was cancelled?

HardCode

Erudite
Liek OMFG!!! The @wesom3 sowrds maek the orcs fly in to teh air!!!!11!one Wow, this is the bestest game evur!!! So much action, it's like Mortal Combat from the arcade!!! And look hwo kewl the other game pplz look wehn there eyes keep lookin away from u! It's liek they see sumthin behind ur back!!11!!! I wunder if itza Dadrea?

HA! All of the bullshit hype about graphics and physics, and Half-Life 2 beats this easily. Looks like no TES:5 unless the game "designers" get shit-canned by the Board of Directors for this fuck up.

John_Blazze

Augur
HardCode said:
HA! All of the bullshit hype about graphics and physics, and Half-Life 2 beats this easily. Looks like no TES:5 unless the game "designers" get shit-canned by the Board of Directors for this fuck up.

Now everything Bethesda people say look like they lying, so many things they said or shown arent true... was it that hard for them to predict that object shadows will too much for modern hardware? was it hard for them to predict that game wont be out in November? this goes on and on......

awww... i was hoping that this will be a good game, since i so much enjoyed previous installments in the series (even with all its flaws).

Master Thief

Scholar
John_Blazze said:
raziel014 said:
Did anyone notice that there aren't any shadows anymore? Only on NPC, so there won't be anymore shadoes from the ribcage and the chain as seen in the E3 video..

Ive read somewhere that this vid was made with some gfx options turned off , but i dont know if its true

...maybe it was just fans self defense?

In the German magazine article...

So a short summary of the german PC Games article
It was played on:
Version: Dezember
Specs: Athlon FX-55
1 Gbyte RAM
Geforce 7800 GT

1 Gbyte RAM are enough for smooth Gameplay
Even with a FX-55 and 7800 GT it was not running smoothly at areas with much vegetation ( on highest settings and 1.280x1.024)
Min. Requirements will be a 2800 CPU
Water did not look as good as hoped for
On average settings Textures and trees look not as good as expected
Inner areal like dungeons look better then anything seen before
Dezember Version was crashing all the time
Still some KI Bugs (Tester did not get reward for Quest)
Because of X-BOX large Letters in Character Menu, Inventory etc
If you steal a horse it will be gone if you leave it or even try to kick you smile.gif
Release: End of March

Maybe like F.E.A.R. this game will eat up your computer's graphics processing capabilities like a cracker. Or maybe like F.E.A.R. and Morrowind it is extremly buggy horribly coded.

HardCode

Erudite
A funny thing is that practically the entire TES Forum is in an uproar about shadows being taken out of the game. They could care less about RPG gameplay elements being removed, but now that a graphic element was removed, it's like The French Revolution.

Like that saying goes (paraphrased), "They came for someone and I did nothing. They came for someone else and I did nothing. Then they came for me and there was no one left to do anything."

franc kaos

Liturgist
raziel014 said:
No the shadows being out has apparently been confirmed by Kathode.

http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/oblivion/

We have switched to doing single shadow maps directed at characters.

Not sure I understand this, does it mean thief characters have to hide in their own shadows?

However, this made me laugh:

holy crap, I swear to god it's %^&*ing Fable all over agian, first the "ground breaking", then the "unparelled" and then the "sorry we were bull $%^&ing you, heres the real game". well I'm not beliving it till pete says it (denile just like levitation and telekinis all over agian). Just because some of us arn't dirt poor and have to use the 9800 pros. Well I hope to hell valve makes a fantasy game because obviously there the only ones that know what location damage, throw object damage and shadowing is. Damn this is just like Fable, now all they got to do is limit the weapons to 4 catagorys and 3 colors.

'This just in ~ breaking news, Bethesda shoot themselves in the foot. CSI criminalist Grissom sent in to investigate...'

Funny stuff. Download of that video just finished, off to view it...

John_Blazze

Augur
HardCode said:
A funny thing is that practically the entire TES Forum is in an uproar about shadows being taken out of the game. They could care less about RPG gameplay elements being removed, but now that a graphic element was removed, it's like The French Revolution.

thats the brand new TES audience! they just want to play GTA: Oblivion...

But admit that without object shadows forest looks plain and flat now, not that it will change anything in gameplay, but wouldnt it be nice to travel trough pretty looking forest hunting down traders and killing innocent animals? now we will be left with only hunting down traders and killing innocent animals...

El Dee

Scholar
I thougt, overall, that most of it looked good. I don't like the way NPCs move backwards during battle- it looks like they are floating!

Does anyone else think the Emperor looks like an extra from a Planet of the Apes movie?

HardCode

Erudite
This is the most Golden Post Of The Year from there:

Misinformed Man said:
maybe it takes more space on the DVD to have shadows in and it would be too much? maybe there are other reasons we don't know that affected the devs decisions. i mean, we are just forum members, 99% of us know nothing of the development process.

i think its absurd to try and think you are smarter than the devs and that they are the ones making a stupid decision.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 5914&st=60

And yes, that IS his actual user name!

Jason

chasing a bee
Except for a few obvious problems (Argonian hands, bodies flying for no reason), it looked pretty damn good to me. The lack of shadows only bothers me to the extent that it hurts stealth gameplay. Usually, I turn off shadows when I install a new game because they're a pointless resource hog.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I second that one Baby Arm. I can't remember a single game whose graphics truly kept me in the game longer than the gameplay. Sure when I first load up the game I'll be gawking at the normal and parallax mapping, yadda yadda yadda, but once I've moved into my 50th+ hour of gameplay, if the game isn't fun to play, the graphics are not going to save it (the hours of playing, of course, may not make it to 50 if said gameplay is not up to par...). Fear is a good example of this. "Wow he moves when I shoot him. Wow, thoses shadows and textures are awesome. Wow...um ok I've beat the game 3 times and gone through the hardest mode...multiplayer blows...now what?" (This was less than a month later too).

raziel014

Novice
I've noticed most of you guys seem to dislike how the graphics are progressing through the gaming industy. And now it's reached the RPG genre..

But I actually think you all can rest assured. Cause the evolution of games in the future times will demand better gameplay features. Not more than 5 years from now, the graphics will be so good that most people won't even think about it anymore. Since it's become more mainstreamed.

I'm looking forward to the time when developers can put they full hearts at gameplay features and create games that really stands out.
But just face it, gaming has changed.

Twinfalls

Erudite
So much for all that 'stealth gameplay' based on 'sneaking in the shadows'.

Keep putting all your eggs in that graphics basket, Bethesda!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom