Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OBLIVION GERMAN VIDEO!!!

Section8

Cipher
I think they said characters and static objects (which pillars and building would presumaby be) cast shadows. It's just miscellaneous items (chains, bones, etc - basically items you can interact with) that don't have shadows any longer.

Actually, in about 15 threads over on the ESF, they dodged the "do static objects cast shadows" question about 100 times. Of course, being the ESF, all the fans said "Well, if they're dodging the question, it must be true!" Huh?

I'd be willing to bet that only characters and foliage cast shadows.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Section8 said:
I think they said characters and static objects (which pillars and building would presumaby be) cast shadows. It's just miscellaneous items (chains, bones, etc - basically items you can interact with) that don't have shadows any longer.

Actually, in about 15 threads over on the ESF, they dodged the "do static objects cast shadows" question about 100 times. Of course, being the ESF, all the fans said "Well, if they're dodging the question, it must be true!" Huh?

You could be correct - but that would seriously impede sneaking in shadows - unless the shadows had no real effect on sneaking anyway (a la sneaking in broad daylight in MW).

Not meaning to sound like a Bethesda toady, but I am fairly confident that statics still have shadows - or buildings and the like at least. The only moving object shadows would be cast by players/creatures and foliage.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Nog Robbin said:
Section8 said:

You could be correct - but that would seriously impede sneaking in shadows - unless the shadows had no real effect on sneaking anyway (a la sneaking in broad daylight in MW).

Not meaning to sound like a Bethesda toady, but I am fairly confident that statics still have shadows - or buildings and the like at least. The only moving object shadows would be cast by players/creatures and foliage.

I’m fairly confident that the shadow system that in be in Oblivion in the end will be the same one in MW. Todd must think it’s really cool seeing the shadow of your legs while wearing a robe.

ixg

Erudite
it's funny how the longer i wait for oblivion the less i want to get it. i've pretty much lost interest now.

foneco

Novice
ixg said:
it's funny how the longer i wait for oblivion the less i want to get it. i've pretty much lost interest now.

Yep, pretty much what I think also.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
ixg said:

Same happening here. When I first saw/heard of it I thought it looked great, and would address the problems/shortcomings of MW. Instead it's pretty much an action adventure with a few (and it is a few!) stats/skills thrown in. The "openess" is basically because you do not have to finish a quest before you get another - but they all sound to have a single outcome and no way around it other than not completing the quest. Dialogue is still missing. Choices have even less consequence. Even finding things has been simplified.

Lumpy

Arcane
Thrawn05 said:
I’m fairly confident that the shadow system that in be in Oblivion in the end will be the same one in MW. Todd must think it’s really cool seeing the shadow of your legs while wearing a robe.
"Hey I too am making up reasons why Oblivion sucks."
No, you moron, it won't have the same fucking shadow system as Morrowind. Your statement is outrageous.

The Internets

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Thrawn05 said:
"Hey I too am making up reasons why Oblivion sucks."
No, you moron, it won't have the same fucking shadow system as Morrowind. Your statement is outrageous.

Aside from soft edges, the overall system will indeed be no different than Morrowinds.

Fact is the only shadow casting objects will be Characters and trees. Seeing as tress already cast shadows in Speed Tree, that leaves a system that at least indoors, is no different in final presentation than it's predecessor.

I'm not one to say the game will suck without shadows, but a game with this long of a development cycle, with this much emphasis put on graphics, you'd think they'd flesh stuff like this out more. It's a missed opportunity, and it's too bad.

Lumpy

Arcane
Robes appear in shadows, unlike Morrowind.
What he said is similar to:
"Hey I believe that Oblivion will have invisible walls around roads. Invisible walls? Come on, that's the most idiotic thing possible. Todd is a moron for putting in invisible walls."

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
3:23 - Water beats fire. Rain should put those pyres out.

4:15 - There are about 15 guys in that shot. Not as many as Mount & Blade but I'm pretty surprised.

I have to say the combat looked pretty good. Seriously disappointed they couldn't get some of that on the back of a horse but the monsters and animation were good enough for me. The guy drinking the beer started out okay but yeah, never stopped swigging. At least some of those movements are in as every little bit helps flesh the game out. Rather than people just standing in a room doing nothing.

I think Oblivion will satisfy my "Wander around and look at pretty stuff" exploration urge and may even satisfy the combat urge I currently get from playing Mount & Blade (horses excluded).

Still nothing on quests or dialogue though. Agree that the imp floating down was just plain weird but I did like the enemies being knocked back (even though it's highly unrealistic). Some of the monsters were pretty impressive too I thought. Watching the conversations seemed pretty lame though. The original Thief 1 & 2 handled that so much better (you had to do it without being seen after all and what they said wasn't always quest related but just some nice story info). I see what people mean by the NPC talking poses, can't say it'll bother me though. Not yet, anyway. However, if they make me see it 10,000 times then I'll change my mind.

A sci-fi action FPS based in the "Fallout world" like that would be fun to play too but they sure as hell better not call it "Fallout 3" and they sure as hell better give me a turn-based isometric game too. Haven't played a good one of those in a while and starting to get bored with FPS's.

Skeleton's falling apart from stealth-arrow blows looks like fun. Even if his skull did seem to bounce off awfully quick and away down the passageway like a bullet. Nice to see the hands aren't as God awful as they were in those Russian screenshots.

Heh. I heard a German guy say "Patrick Stew-art". Damn the Emperor's got a fugly nose.

... and it's not "Mein Kampf", it's "Moge der Kampf beginnen".

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting Oblivion. It just won't be until some-time towards the end of this year or the beginning of next, which is when I'll be getting a new PC that can actually play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom