Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer wants to make Pillars of Eternity 3, but only if...

Falksi

Arcane
I have a hard time with the first Pillars. I tried it now 3 times, and am currently playing it. Each time I only get as far as Caed Nua because the writing is so lifeless and boring. It has it's moments for sure but for the most part the only emotion the game evokes is boredom.

I am trying now to finish the game in this attempt... (just defeated Maerwald so basically again where I quit twice before :lol: let's see how much further I can make it)
For me there's just so much filler there in your face all the time. It's great that they wanted to add depth to the game, but most of that fluff often drowns out the key components and takes center stage far too often.

The lost art of game making - give the player a digestible experience as a primary priority, and allow them to get deeper on replays. PoE does it the other way around and throws all of itself at you on your first playthrough, with replays being incredibly repetitive and lacking due to very little variance or stuff to uncover. The game is absolutely desperate for large sections of it being broken up into 1st & 2nd play C&C paths.

I have a hard time with the first Pillars. I tried it now 3 times, and am currently playing it. Each time I only get as far as Caed Nua because the writing is so lifeless and boring. It has it's moments for sure but for the most part the only emotion the game evokes is boredom.

I am trying now to finish the game in this attempt... (just defeated Maerwald so basically again where I quit twice before :lol: let's see how much further I can make it)
Stop hurting yourself. It won't get any better and POE2 isn't worth making that kind of effort just to get a better grip on its story.

Aarwolf

Learned

And that's the best part of base game.

Rhobar121

Scholar
you know why most western studios turn to shit sooner or later while most japanese studios maintain quality? Arrogance. Once western studios grt big they start thinking they’re the shit. They stop playing video games and start spending more time on cocaine and hookers… or riding your bike if you’re gay. Japs stay humble and continue to play games and listen to feedback that’s why they don’t forget how to make good games.
Name one good jap game made in the last 10 years that wasn't made by from soft. I'll wait.

They only know how to make cringe anime garbage.
mario and zelda have been going strong since the 80s with the recent zelda game being a strong contender for game of the year
Are you talking about the expansion for Breath of the Wild?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
you know why most western studios turn to shit sooner or later while most japanese studios maintain quality? Arrogance. Once western studios grt big they start thinking they’re the shit. They stop playing video games and start spending more time on cocaine and hookers… or riding your bike if you’re gay. Japs stay humble and continue to play games and listen to feedback that’s why they don’t forget how to make good games.
Name one good jap game made in the last 10 years that wasn't made by from soft. I'll wait.

mario and zelda have been going strong since the 80s with the recent zelda game being a strong contender for game of the year
I have not played them but my point was that companies like Nintendo, CAPCOM, ATLUS and Square Enix have been around for a very long time and still release quality games, can't say the same about any western studio. I guess Rockstar would come closest but they are newer than the ones I've mentioned and have a much smaller track record.

Rhobar121

Scholar

I have not played them but my point was that companies like Nintendo, CAPCOM, ATLUS and Square Enix have been around for a very long time and still release quality games, can't say the same about any western studio. I guess Rockstar would come closest but they are newer than the ones I mentioned and have a much smaller track record.
As a reminder, FF15 and Forspoken were fully Square Enix games.

Vic

Savant

I have not played them but my point was that companies like Nintendo, CAPCOM, ATLUS and Square Enix have been around for a very long time and still release quality games, can't say the same about any western studio. I guess Rockstar would come closest but they are newer than the ones I mentioned and have a much smaller track record.
FF15 was good and Forspoken was not developed by SE

Rhobar121

Scholar

Literally the same people worked on FF15 and Forspoken.
FF15 wasn't considered a very good game at launch.

Vic

Savant

Literally the same people worked on FF15 and Forspoken.
FF15 wasn't considered a very good game at launch.
I've enjoyed FF15 but didn't make it very far because I've been getting bad stutters. I liked how you were doing these creepy dungeons but it was contrasted by your bro's light hearted remarks and created this juxtaposition of light-hearted atmosphere in creepy ass dungeon which was a unique experience for me.

It certainly wasn't bad for the 15th iteration of a game franchise imo

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Once Avowed releases and becomes a success with the hoi polloi the interest in the world of Eora will skyrocket. Phil will give Josh near unlimited budget to make the ultimate CRPG.
Avowed isn't looking that good tbh. If anything I'm worried that it could be the final nail in the coffin.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Once Avowed releases and becomes a success with the hoi polloi the interest in the world of Eora will skyrocket. Phil will give Josh near unlimited budget to make the ultimate CRPG.
Sawyer said Avowed's success would only result in more games like Avowed.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
More interest in Avowed results in more interest in the world of Erora which results in more interest in Pillars 3. Sounds like plausible logic.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I think both are as likely as Sawyer learning how to design a fun game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
More interest in Avowed results in more interest in the world of Erora which results in more interest in Pillars 3. Sounds like plausible logic.

Maybe a little. Problem is fantasy settings are worth a dime a dozen these days (because of the diffusion of 70-90s nerd culture into the mainstream). Good worldbuilding is always appreciated, but what people want want are good narratives and fun gameplay.

The success of BG3 *does* make a turn-based Pillars 3 more plausible, if Microsoft is willing to pony up and Obsidian is willing to pivot away from their fixation on Bethesda.

Honestly though, Shadowrun is the only property Microsoft owns that could viably compete with the D&D intellectual property.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think trun-based gameplay is that fun. If anything Pillars 3 should stick to its roots and try to take RTwP to the next level. Or at least get to a good/fun balance.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's all academic in the first place. The initial instinct of the game development community in response to the seismic commercial and critical event that was BG3 was the wave the white flag and tell gamers not to expect any other game to ever be like BG3.

Dunno if that will stick the longer BG3 shows its legs and the more the bean counters have to process its success, but the Lord of the Rings Trilogy' success didn't result in a golden age of fantasy epics. It took decades and Game of Thrones before people even began to seriously reflect on trying to reproduce it.

9ted6

Educated
We all know they'll learn the entirely wrong lessons from BG3
Were there even any good lessons? Aside from how to successfully sell your fetish game to unsuspecting normies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom