Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline How the Codex stopped being a site for the free discussion of RPGs

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I browse and post on the codex daily and I was not aware of any of this shit, so its likely insignificant for the majority of regular users.

This site is still a haven of free discourse about a number of topics, almost nowhere else you have the freedom to say retarded, offensive or outright criminal opinions without heavy handed moderation.

BruceVC

Magister
I browse and post on the codex daily and I was not aware of any of this shit, so its likely insignificant for the majority of regular users.

This site is still a haven of free discourse about a number of topics, almost nowhere else you have the freedom to say retarded, offensive or outright criminal opinions without heavy handed moderation.
Agreed, I couldnt say it better

This thread and question is more an example of another Codex drama thread. Its of concern and interest to a few people who have a certain history on Codex but most people on Codex definitely wouldnt care or be aware of the overall criticism that " Codex is no longer a place where you can discuss RPG freely "

Thats demonstrably untrue, people discuss RPG openly all the time on Codex

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Surely you guys must realize that these people for whom the moderation of the Codex is a deadly serious business worthy of language one would only use if one’s country was taken over in a coup by fascists are insane

Not in the sense of “lol, that’s insane”, as in “mentally ill”

Being a user and moderator on this forum for many years makes you realize how vast a part of the population is completely and utterly fucking nuts in their brain

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Surely you guys must realize that these people for whom the moderation of the Codex is a deadly serious business worthy of language one would only use if one’s country was taken over in a coup by fascists are insane
"Hi friends, took you long enough!"?

Gregz

Arcane
Being a user and moderator on this forum for many years makes you realize how vast a part of the population is completely and utterly fucking nuts in their brain
Yet only a tiny fraction can go on to become moderators.

Yep, the inmates really are running the asylum.

It is now "insanity" to criticize administrative policies that prohibit the free discussion of RPGs, which was the original mission of this forum.

BruceVC

Magister

It is now "insanity" to criticize administrative policies that prohibit the free discussion of RPGs, which was the original mission of this forum.
Can you give an example of how people cant discuss RPG on Codex? And please dont use a US culture wars garbage example where what you really mean is " we cant repeat the same thing about some LGBT character " because thats not an example and as irritating as that repetition is I dont recall that being banned on Codex if I just think of all the BG3 and bear sex scene outrage

But I am looking for a real example of what you mean?

Gregz

Arcane

Can you give an example of how people cant discuss RPG on Codex? And please dont use a US culture wars garbage example where what you really mean is " we cant repeat the same thing about some LGBT character " because thats not an example and as irritating as that repetition is I dont recall that being banned on Codex if I just think of all the BG3 and bear sex scene outrage

I have lost count of the number of times a thread was moved, merged, or retardoed because of the personal politics of the administration. Then there are the cases of users being discouraged, silenced, or banned for criticizing the political bias-messaging of individual developers, studios, etc. Many excellent posters have left the Codex in disgust because of this.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have lost count of the number of times a thread was moved, merged, or retardoed because of the personal politics of the administration. Then there are the cases of users being discouraged, silenced, or banned for criticizing the political bias-messaging of individual developers, studios, etc. Many excellent posters have left the Codex in disgust because of this.

Crazy. You should go find out where they went.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Many excellent posters have left the Codex in disgust because of this.
This is a very subjective claim, but let's assume for the sake of argument that what you're saying is true.

So tell me, Gregz, why do you, for example (you are someone who I consider to be at least a somewhat valuable member here) keep coming back? Why is it worth it to you to keep pushing this issue, to keep lamenting that Codex is declining, that all its best members are leaving because THE JEW keeps kicking them out? There must be something about RPG Codex that's worth it in your mind, right?

Why can't you just come out and say what it is that you want to say, directly, without dancing around the issue? You hate kikes, right?

giphy%2B%252866%2529.gif

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is a very subjective claim, but let's assume for the sake of argument that what you're saying is true.

So tell me, Gregz, why do you, for example (you are someone who I consider to be at least a somewhat valuable member here) keep coming back? Why is it worth it to you to keep pushing this issue, to keep lamenting that Codex is declining, that all its best members are leaving because THE JEW keeps kicking them out? There must be something about RPG Codex that's worth it in your mind, right?

Why can't you just come out and say what it is that you want to say, directly, without dancing around the issue? You hate kikes, right?

giphy%2B%252866%2529.gif
Worse, he have his safe space forum, why not go there and stop the butt hurt. Oh yes, not even the others tolerate his spergs that much either.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

"Please tell me how people can't discuss RPGs on Codex? But you are not allowed to say which things these are, because it I disagree with the things you deem as worthy to discuss"

:dgaider:

BruceVC

Magister

"Please tell me how people can't discuss RPGs on Codex? But you are not allowed to say which things these are, because it I disagree with the things you deem as worthy to discuss"

But give a specific example, Im interested because I cant recall this being something I have experienced on Codex?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
But give a specific example, Im interested because I cant recall this being something I have experienced on Codex?
The main 'argument'/complaint seems to be that splitting threads in two - so that people that want to talk about drama, and people who want to talk about less 'meta' aspects of the game (i.e. the gameplay), can both do so separately - is censorship, or silencing them, probably because some people feel like they have the right to an audience on top of their perceived right to wage their e-kulturkampf.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

You pretend as if what is voiced is not a legit concern. The reason for it, is that you agree with the things that are critized.

It's as if there was a group of people that were really keen on Platforming sections in FPS games saying that everyone complaining about platforming in a FPS is arguing "political".

That is absolutely equal to how reasonable you and other wokies are.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The main 'argument'/complaint seems to be that splitting threads in two - so that people that want to talk about drama, and people who want to talk about less 'meta' aspects of the game (i.e. the gameplay), can both do so separately - is censorship, or silencing them, probably because some people feel like they have the right to an audience on top of their perceived right to wage their e-kulturkampf.

I have no idea what this thread is about but I wanna call bullshit on your Elon take here.
"Right to an audience" is a retarded semantic argument.

When any system reaches a certain threshold, you can censor through obscurity perfectly fine.
"Hey don't worry, I wont' censor you, I'll just throw everything you post into an obscure place that is not indexed, shared or broadcasted to anyone, ever - it's still there!"

"Right to an audience" or "Freedom of reach" is just a new spin on shadow ban. Your content is still being quartanined off from where it's expected to be. It's like if there's a conversation going on with 5 people but everytime you wanna talk we all ask you to go walk 20 feet away and whisper it to yourself.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
When any system reaches a certain threshold, you can censor through obscurity perfectly fine.
"Hey don't worry, I wont' censor you, I'll just throw everything you post into an obscure place that is not indexed, shared or broadcasted to anyone, ever - it's still there!"
It's not that "obscure" when threads in the Gaming Drama section still show up in the normal thread list in Gaming General (much as e.g. threads in the Larian section show up in the General RPG thread list). And they're only split off when it becomes hard to actually talk about the game itself in a game thread as far as I've seen; the BG3 thread was going on about the Morality of Druidic Bear Sex for ages, and there wasn't a split.

"Right to an audience" is a retarded semantic argument.
No, because endless kulturkampf posts in game threads push disinterested parties away from participating at all. People are allowed to start whatever thread they want, but if someone starts a thread about a game they're allowed the expectation that the game itself will, within reason, remain the focus of the thread, rather than the perceived politics of the developer. Not every game thread needs to be an unmitigated proxy for the culture war.

"Right to an audience" or "Freedom of reach" is just a new spin on shadow ban.
You're always welcome to make your own thread rather than hijacking another.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
No, because endless kulturkampf posts in game threads push disinterested parties away from participating at all.

There is no such thing, it's legit concerns that interest many users, as you can see, for example in twiglards list reactions:

Of currently 106 Ratings there are 66 that are in favor of such a list:
34 Brofists
16 Salutes
7 Informative
3 Thanks
2 Deus Vult
1 Presitigious
1 Interesting
1 Balanced
1 When words a not enough

39 with a disfavorable rating, I would assume that includes some people that simply do not care to have these concerns voiced I am even including things like "funny" on this side of the argument, could be neutral as well.
10 Cringe
9 Funny
5 Autist
2 Cuck
2 Benders
1 Retardred
1 Butthurt
1 Participation award
1 WTF am I reading
1 Fake news
1 roll eyes
1 up yours
1 NPC
1 someone has issues

and of course one Donut which I count as neutral ( :P )

So pretend as much as you will, not only are you in the minority on this issue but the majority voices clear interest in being informed about this topic. I would argue that even a significant minority. like 20% absolutely warrants this topic be discussed in the threads.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
So pretend as much as you will, not only are you in the minority on this issue but the majority voices clear interest in being informed about this topic. I would argue that even a significant minority. like 20% absolutely warrants this topic be discussed in the threads.
Ratings are not the useful metric you think they are. Especially given many of our serial raters barely ever post.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Ratings are not the useful metric you think they are. Especially given many of our serial raters barely ever post.

As if any metric would convince you anyways.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
As if any metric would convince you anyways.
Eh, I have always been very negative about the effect ratings have on discussions. I mean look at reddit.

But beyond that, plenty of people don't to care express themselves to any meaningful degree through the extremely limited nature of ratings; that much should be obvious from general encounters on the site you've had.

But beyoooond that, they are self-selecting for the groups that care most, like any voluntary "poll", to make a crude comparison. Equate them to elections or whatever you want, but anyone who works with statistics would laugh at you for trying to use them to argue about what "the majority" thinks about a topic.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

giphy%2B%252866%2529.gif
what a silly self own

qui-who.gif

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You know who's rating your posts (or need to lurk more) and know their preferences and agendas. So ratings are useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom