Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameSpy Dissapointed By Troika

obediah

Erudite
Kuato said:
obediah said:
If games slip all the time publishers should be aware of that fact and prepared at all times for games to slip if they aren't then are they really backing their product?
What is a couple months to year compared to an infinite amount of time ?
Remember these games Half Life 2 delayed, Halo 2 delayed, Resident Evil 4 Delayed, World of Warcraft delayed, Warcraft III delayed, Diablo 2 delayed, Sims 2 delayed etc.

Wasn't Half Life 2 financed by Valve?

Isn't Halo2 a flagship game for X-Box - a pet project of Microsoft - and still rushed by the cries I've hearda bout the ending and other things.

Resident Evil 4 - I know nothing about.

Warcraft*/Diablo2 - again banked by the developer

Sims2 - flagship for EA

None of these (except possible RE4) are a valid comparison to Atari/Troika.. I fucking hate Atari, but I when I look at the buggy combat sim that is ToEE and think about what I would do in Atari's shoes, I have to put the lion's share of the blame on Troilka's shoulders.

Sorry for missing chars, need new batteries for my keboard. :(

obediah

Erudite
Ortchel said:
Okay, you new guys (and crufty), go pick an avatar. It takes two seconds. It's getting hard to tell you all apart.

Is this one okay? I think it brings a level of sophistication and class to my posts that would otherwise be missing.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Only true for Warcraft 1 and 2, and Diablo 1. All other games were backed by Sierra/Cendant/Havas Interactive, and now Vivendi Universal. Blizzard is no longer an independent entity and is a fully owned subsidiary of Vivendi Universal.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Not many. Most of the core team has left, though Mike Morhaime is still around. Chris Metzen's still around as well, but all he does is steal other people's artwork and ideas and put his name on it.

obediah

Erudite
Exitium said:
Only true for Warcraft 1 and 2, and Diablo 1. All other games were backed by Sierra/Cendant/Havas Interactive, and now Vivendi Universal. Blizzard is no longer an independent entity and is a fully owned subsidiary of Vivendi Universal.

I stand corrected. Still Blizzard has a reputation for taking a bit of extra time to make a polished release with super fat $$$ sales. With ToEE, Troika had a reputation of releasing one buggy game that they had sat on the gold for months before release, ignoring bug reports from the warez community. And then partially patched to mediocre sales.

For my tastes, Blizzard peaked with Diablo - starcraft seemed like a promising 40K ripoff, but I can't stand RTS gameplay. But still, they set a nice standard for polish ( I'm willing to give them a pass on WoW), so I hope the change of hands doesn't affect this too much.

Oh well, hopefully the comptuer game appocalypse will leave us some nice indie rpg and non-twitch tactics games.

Dhruin

Liturgist
obediah said:
It's the the developers responsibility to make sure the two match up, not the producers. I do software development for a living. I miss deadlines - and when I do I don't blame my boss for my shitty time management skills or over-ambition.

I think this is a little simplistic. If I recall correctly, Atari approached Troika about doing a D&D project and since Troika had been redeveloping the Arcanum engine, the agreement was reached to do a project with a 12 month development cycle. I presume the idea was to spit out quick and cheap D&D modules and make a zillion.

It turns out it was much harder than they thought -- and the public probably wanted BG3, not a "module".

Troika deserves a share of the "blame" for this failure but it equally lies at Atari's feet. Atari has experience with dozens and dozens of developments and should know the difficulty and risk with this short dev cycle. They were also wrong about the market for this type of game.

I very much doubt Troika wanted a contract to do it in 12 months, so it's fair to assume Atari imposed that (initial) period. No doubt many will say Troika should have turned it down and there's an element of truth to that -- but in their shoes, I may have accepted it, too. If no other offers were on the immediate horizon and the opportunity to work with the biggest RPG license, the hope it would make money and lead to sequels...I probably would have taken the job and crossed my fingers a little. I know I have taken contracts I didn't like because sometimes, you need the sale and there is a prospect it will lead to bigger things.

Atari made exactly the same mistake.

RGE

Liturgist
Ortchel said:
Okay, you new guys (and crufty), go pick an avatar. It takes two seconds. It's getting hard to tell you all apart.
I'll have you know that I was perfectly fine with Greatatlantic not having an avatar. :P

As for the lack of sales for Troika's games, I figure that it's because their games lack the kind of polish that a big seller should have. But they must've made some money with Arcanum, so I just can't see why publishers or even banks wouldn't want to fund similar games made by the same developer. Profit is profit, right, even if it's not the biggest profit ever.

Or are publishers voting with their wallets? Do they actively avoid funding low profit games because that would only encourage the developer to stick to stuff that just isn't profitable enough? Seems to speak against what I usually read about businessmen wanting safe deals before risking capital on games that might bomb, but what do I know? Maybe the publishers have gotten tired of hearing about how they only fund clones and decided to only fund new brave ideas that have potential to become huge hits? I think that one of the nicest things Troika could do now (apart from pulling themselves together and making a great CRPG) would be to tell us the reasons they were given when they were rejected. Or maybe it'd hurt too much when a bunch of know-it-alls start posting a lot of "this is what you should have done" posts? :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Oh, those guys that left are making guild wars tho, right?

Yeah. The people who worked on Diablo 2's multiplayer component and all of whom created Battle.net are making Guild Wars. Jeff Strain, who programmed the Warcraft 3 engine and was the Team Lead on World of Warcraft is also with them.

Bill Roper and the Schaeffer brothers, who created Diablo and Diablo 2 (Producer, Lead Designer, Storyline, etc), most of Blizzard North's core team and the guy who made Diablo 2 1.10 alone went to Flagship Studios, Roper's company, to make a post-apocalyptic/sci-fi/fantasy themed RPG for the PC, which will be released by Konami sometime next year, I think.

Saint Proverbius mentioned to me in IRC the other day that he thought that CLICK Entertainment, which developed that crappy Diablo ripoff "Throne of Darkness" was founded by 15 of the Blizzard North/Diablo core team. He tried to make the comparison with CLICK and Bill Roper's team, saying that Bill Roper's team was founded by people unimportant to the development of Diablo because he thought the 15 core members made CLICK. Well, he was wrong. Only 2 guys from Blizzard North founded it, 1 of whom was a QA guy and the other rendered 2d character art. The rest were inexperienced persons fresh out of college.

Kuato

Liturgist
obediah said:
With ToEE, Troika had a reputation of releasing one buggy game that they had sat on the gold for months before release, ignoring bug reports from the warez community. And then partially patched to mediocre sales.

Troika didn't release ToEE Atari did. Im not defending Troika's performance the game was buggy and felt unfinshed but its not like Atari showed up on the last day and said ok lets see what you got ? completely clueless as to what was going on, they do have to get milestones approved. Someone at Atari knew the shape that game was in the whole time.

Troika didn't sit on the Arcanum gold Sierra did and I believe all patches have to go through QA to be approved and officially released, again thats the publishers call.

obediah

Erudite
Dhruin said:
obediah said:
It's the the developers responsibility to make sure the two match up, not the producers. I do software development for a living. I miss deadlines - and when I do I don't blame my boss for my shitty time management skills or over-ambition.

I think this is a little simplistic. If I recall correctly, Atari approached Troika about doing a D&D project and since Troika had been redeveloping the Arcanum engine, the agreement was reached to do a project with a 12 month development cycle. I presume the idea was to spit out quick and cheap D&D modules and make a zillion.

It turns out it was much harder than they thought -- and the public probably wanted BG3, not a "module".

Troika deserves a share of the "blame" for this failure but it equally lies at Atari's feet. Atari has experience with dozens and dozens of developments and should know the difficulty and risk with this short dev cycle. They were also wrong about the market for this type of game.

I very much doubt Troika wanted a contract to do it in 12 months, so it's fair to assume Atari imposed that (initial) period. No doubt many will say Troika should have turned it down and there's an element of truth to that -- but in their shoes, I may have accepted it, too. If no other offers were on the immediate horizon and the opportunity to work with the biggest RPG license, the hope it would make money and lead to sequels...I probably would have taken the job and crossed my fingers a little. I know I have taken contracts I didn't like because sometimes, you need the sale and there is a prospect it will lead to bigger things.

Atari made exactly the same mistake.

There's a big difference between taking a contract for work you don't want to do and taking a contract for work you can't do. Troika either failed to meet their end of the contract or they signed a contract that allowed Atari to move the target around during development. Either way Troika screwed up. I'm not sure how much "this is how it will be" came down on Troika from above during the development cycle, other than dropping the mature content at the last second. If you've done contracting work before, you know that it's entirely different than a salaried position. There is always a cold war between you and the customer, and you have to be more shrewd and savy to succeed.

I would have been appeased if Troika had just sucked it up after ToEE. They could have admitted their mistakes, promised to learn from them and went on with their lives. Instead the pointed fingers at the person cutting their check. Other distributors knew what was going on, and really no one was fooled by the blame game (except VD).

MarFish

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
dojoteef said:
What does that have to do with my contention? He states that design decisions (such as Obisidian cutting out a planet for example) can not be attributed to poor sales.
I used Obsidian's KOTOR 2 as an example of a developer being unable to "do anything to ensure a better reception for their games".

I predict that Lucas Arts will announce the magic mark of 1.000.000 sold copies within two month.

RGE

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Bill Roper and the Schaeffer brothers, who created Diablo and Diablo 2 (Producer, Lead Designer, Storyline, etc), most of Blizzard North's core team and the guy who made Diablo 2 1.10 alone went to Flagship Studios, Roper's company, to make a post-apocalyptic/sci-fi/fantasy themed RPG for the PC, which will be released by Konami sometime next year, I think.
That game sounded interesting, so I checked out their website. Konami wasn't mentioned anywhere I looked, but Namco and HanbitSoft were. Not that I know who might own whom. Or if that even was a grammatically correct usage of "whom". ;)

The concept art looked interesting though. Unholy and futuristic. Reminds me of games such as Kult (the Swedish PnP modern horror RPG) and the nekro faction in Mutant Chronicles. Should be a big hit if it ends up as polished as Diablo.

Visbhume

Prophet
Exitium said:
On top of that, I'd like to say "Fuck Vampire". It is a trite, worthless setting. If they had gone with a cyberpunk setting, they'd have at least managed to bag the Deus Ex crowd, which is quite numerous in comparison.

They chose their audiences poorly and betrayed their true audience.

So... Vampire is trite and cyberpunk is not ? :roll: I's not my favorite, but I prefer the World of Darkness to any generic "cyberpunk" setting. Blah blah virtual reality blah blah cybernetic implants blah blah nanotech blah blah evil corporations blah ...

Cyberpunk is so 80s.

MarFish

Liturgist
Kuato said:
obediah said:
With ToEE, Troika had a reputation of releasing one buggy game that they had sat on the gold for months before release, ignoring bug reports from the warez community. And then partially patched to mediocre sales.

Troika didn't release ToEE Atari did. Im not defending Troika's performance the game was buggy and felt unfinshed but its not like Atari showed up on the last day and said ok lets see what you got ? completely clueless as to what was going on, they do have to get milestones approved. Someone at Atari knew the shape that game was in the whole time.

Troika didn't sit on the Arcanum gold Sierra did and I believe all patches have to go through QA to be approved and officially released, again thats the publishers call.

It's simple. Troika agreed to develop the game in a given timeframe. They even gave interviews explaining how they were going to do this (i.e. upgrading the arcanum engine). People in this industry know that you can upgrade a sportsgame to new graphics in that given timeframe, but you can not develop a triple-A RPG in that time, it's not possible. Troika overshot their given timeframe a couple of times, Atari threatened to pull funding and at some point took a release candidate and sent it for production, without Troika's approval because Troika had no say about the final go / no go for the game.

Postmortem said:
The contract was signed and work officially began on February 1, 2002, and the game was originally scheduled to be completed on June 1, 2003. About one full year into the schedule, we amended the deal to add two additional months to update the rules to 3.5 Edition D&D and add additional content, which put us at an August 1, 2003 completion. We delivered the final product on August 30, so we came in ultimately at almost one full month late. I think with the bugs we have discovered since then, we should have delayed this for at least one additional month beyond that. Our game would have been solid with an October 15 completion date.
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/441/441983p1.html
Note that the above statement is, again, ignorant. With all the bugs, they would not have been ready to ship October 15. It would have been not as bad, but it would still have been quite bad. Anyway, I think Octobler 15 would have set ToEE up against some other heavy sellers on the market.

Publishers balance their releases not only against their own other projects but also against the projects of other publishers. If you know that Doom3 releases on a certain date, you will not try to launch Nondescript Shooter 2005 at the same date. You have a so called optimal release window for a game and for some games hitting this window decides between profitable or loss. ToEE was lined up against SW: KotOR and NWN: HotU. They already got 2 month extension and Atari apparently wasn't willing to let them slip into the vicious Xmas sales window (For those who think that would have been good - Xmas means that top sellers sell more and everyone else tanks even worse).

In retrospect, I don't think the bugs killed Troika, - what killed them was the demonstrated incapability of releasing working products within the contractual limits.
Publishers don't want to work with people who can't fullfill the contracts they agree to.

For programming, I think the biggest challenge was getting the party pathing in and working. We had a milestone for pathing very early on, but we had sort of fudged that one together using existing code from Arcanum and making it look pretty good... but the intention was always to rip it out entirely and come up with something new. So, a new milestone was added called "complex party pathing" for several milestones down. Well, when that one hit, for some reason we got that past Atari too, even though it really wasn't as complete as it should have been. Ultimately, pathing was being worked on and improved up until the very end... and there are even additional enhancements in there now from the patch.
Again - publishers don't like to be fucked with. That's the stuff that ensures you don't get future contracts right there.

Hell, Activision lied about Bloodlines being done and just waiting for HL2 when it was in fact not done - it's still not done. They just pulled the plug because the budget was blows.

Yes, the big guns like Bioware or id can take the publisher hostage and force them to wait with release until the game is done, but the big guns also have their own QA departments and the ability to self fund extension periods they might get for their contracts.

And yes, we, the fans, had too much expectations in ToEE - we wanted it to be an AAA title when in fact did not have the potential to be one. Read the post mortem, it was a 1 year development cycle and a 14 people core team - probably less than the NWN expansion packs. It could have become a A game at best, more likely B, if they had used those two month of additional development time in stabilizing the game instead of putting 3.5 rules which only a handful of rabid geeks would care about and it's tragic that the same mistake was made with Bloodlines. While Bloodlines likely tanked for scheduling (heads up against HL2) and "unappealing IP" reasons, it was delivered buggy because they again designed outside their capabilities. Why fill the fucking last quarter of the game up with combat if you could have nicely wrapped up the story at the end of the third quarter of the game.

Obsidian can play the "first game with this team" card and get free out of "why the fuck did you not wrap up the game properly when your publisher started to ramp up crunch on you"-jail this time. They hopefully learned their lesson not to fuck with publishers about contractual release times and it won't happen again.

MarFish

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Oh, those guys that left are making guild wars tho, right?

Yeah. The people who worked on Diablo 2's multiplayer component and all of whom created Battle.net are making Guild Wars. Jeff Strain, who programmed the Warcraft 3 engine and was the Team Lead on World of Warcraft is also with them.

Saint Proverbius mentioned to me in IRC the other day that he thought that CLICK Entertainment, which developed that crappy Diablo ripoff "Throne of Darkness" was founded by 15 of the Blizzard North/Diablo core team. He tried to make the comparison with CLICK and Bill Roper's team, saying that Bill Roper's team was founded by people unimportant to the development of Diablo because he thought the 15 core members made CLICK. Well, he was wrong. Only 2 guys from Blizzard North founded it, 1 of whom was a QA guy and the other rendered 2d character art. The rest were inexperienced persons fresh out of college.

I say this all doesn't matter. It's the same as saying "Troika did Fallout" or "Obsidian did Fallout" . Just because you worked on a successful project before doesn't mean you can pull if off again in a new environment, regardless how many team members you took with you. The industry is full of failures demonstrating that.

Warren Spector - Good work with Lookingglass but Ion Storm tanked
John Romero - doesn't need to be explained
Richard Garriott - Good work on Ultima, bt Tabula Rasa will suck.
Aforementioned Click's - Throne of Darkness sucked
Peter M - Great work with Bullfrog, but so far the Lionhead titles sucked
Troika - Never lived up the the fallout legacy

the list could continue endlessly.

My point is that "from the real guys who brought you Successful Product X" should not count when someone starts a new company.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I wont contribute to this thread with some opinions about why did Troika fall because I have no information and my gueses awould be wild, since I stand far from the actual game industry.

Though, I'd like to thank everyone here, your gueses, information, conclusion, reasons are pretty rational and helped me understand what was wrong in their games. Now I am convinced it is possible to make hard-core or niche games and still earn reasonable money. I hope this would help any future gameDEVs or, if possible, existing ones, to orientate them in the industry. And for you guys - keep up reasoning.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MarFish said:
In retrospect, I don't think the bugs killed Troika, - what killed them was the demonstrated incapability of releasing working products within the contractual limits.

You might have a point if they didn't release all the games when the publishers said it was time to release them. That's not what did it. Keep guessing.

MarFish

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
MarFish said:

You might have a point if they didn't release all the games when the publishers said it was time to release them. That's not what did it. Keep guessing.

I said working products, not bug infested barely playable products.

I don't think it was their decision to release them in that state. Atari took the release candiate and sent it off to manufacturing, not wanting to play Troika's "just a bit more time" game.

aboyd

Liturgist
Uh, no.

Dgaider said:
I'm not so sure Troika's demise can be racked up to the technical flaws of its games.
With respect for your seniority in the industry, I would have to kindly disagree. Follow me here. Look at your next quote, and my response.

Dgaider said:
Regardless of who's fault it is, I think the real crux of the matter is that their games didn't sell.
The important connection to make is that their games didn't sell because they were gaining a reputation for buggy products. It snowballed, with people getting more and more wary after each game. See my own Usenet post from months before Troika died:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/msg/80db60822e4b6748

I didn't even bring up the bugs, I simply responded to others already complaining. The consensus? Don't buy until it's stable. And Troika's games never stabilized.

So David, you are right. Their games didn't sell. But they didn't sell because of the bugs (IMHO), so bugs did indeed lead to their downfall (IMHO again).

Based on KOTOR2, I worry that Obsidian might wander down the same path. But who knows? I've seen their posts talking about a content patch. Maybe they really will be a class act, and rise above the low standards Troika set. Or maybe we'll all be calling them Obsidika a year from now.

Oyarsa

Novice
painted lead or leaded paint

Dhruin said:

Without the numbers (and presumably somebody at Atari did have the numbers) it is reasonable to make the assumption that creating a series of games based on older D&D modules would sell. For one, it is really young boomers and a sizable chunk of X-ers* who would have played or at least heard had passing familiarity with the original PnP. Next, X-ers are now the sweet spot in the US market and getting most of the attention. They also tend to be a pretty nostalgic lot that recasts icons of their youth into big, money-making productions. Finally, the average age of gamers is going up, especially in the PC market (how that stat is derived matters less than the perception of that statement which is what floats around).

Somebody in marketing saw serious synergy and were clouded by memories of big brother kicking them out of the basement when the buds were over for a session.

*from gamers, not total population of course

chrisarcanum

Novice
Exitium said:
Troika should have stuck to the Arcanum 'hardcore RPG' niche and developed games similar to Fallout and Baldur's Gate, instead of veering off course with a dungeon crawler like TOEE or a Deus Ex-wannabe like Vampire: Bloodlines.

Yes.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
obediah said:
Remember a little game called Diakatana? Or another doosy called MOOIII. Publishing companies allow games to slip all the time, but they can't give developers an infinite amount of time.
Nobody said anything about "infinite". As for your example, yes, there are games that are fucked from day one and no amount of extra time would save them. Neither ToEE nor Bloodlines was such a game. Also, there are many more examples of games being delayed until they are ready and then selling extremely well.

Everyone's an expert on Troika's situation and business management in general. I don't blame my mom if I can't finish my homework on time - Troika should take a lesson from me!

Btw, there are many people who do software development for a living here, and who have taken a different position.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom