Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition is quite good!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I recently bought another copy of Lionheart. Boy, it sure is great! They've really improved it since the last time I installed it. I would say it's like Fallout, but real time.

1. Magic system. Different types of magic and different ways of casting spells. Magic interface is done by hotkey and works well. Have not done a whole lot wioth magic, but it seems to be well done. One negative I have seen is it is unclear what positive effect addition intelligence or skill in a branch of magic has on individual spells, though the game makes it clear it does. Might have to use them and see the difference.

2. Monsters I have not played the whole game, but so far the monsters are very varied. They look excellent from the standard rats and snakes to hellhounds, skeletons, zombies and trolls being some of the things I have encounted so far. Their attacks are very different and interesting. Some have breath weapons and can make you gag, which is a cool effect. The hellhound breathed inky smoke which obscures your vision and can gag as well. There are humanoids with swords and magic users who cast spells at you. There is also a good variey of types of encounters froms swarms of rats and bats, to very difficult one on one encounters and bosses

3. Graphics Really quite excellent. The water is blue, very stylistic looking dungeon walls and doors. Cool dungeons. Great looking monsters--espicially the 'E'. Consistently surprised how good the graphics are. Quite possibly the best of any RPG I have played to date. The player character and other NPCs move about in a very realisitic fashion--shop keepers won't let me out of their shops until I pay!

4. Character system Kind of a little bit of a throwback. So many games now start with a generic character or a forced one. Here you have a reasonable number of race choices at the beginning and several basic class archetypes like fighter, thief, mage, though the manual indicates that eventually you develop into many different and varied subclasses. Character development system is skill based and very well done. XP and leveling give you advancement points which you use to choose the skills your character will have as well as increasing base stats. Increasing the skills has a very noticeable effect on your characters strength, and it si balanced well so that each decision is important and needs thought. Good variety of skills and some are only available to certain classes.Very good system, and gives the game replayability as you can come up with very different builds

5. Story There seems to be a good story here, and the quests have been fairly interesting and varied. Dialogue choices are of the category type instead of branching dialogue but it seems to work well. Someone looking for a complex conversation system like Planescape Torment will not find it here, but there are a few conversations and they add to the storyline and depth of the game

6. There are trap and lockpickingwhich are well done and mostly stat based, very similar to the ones in other games

7. Areas So far there have been a good mix of dungeon, mines and more dungeon areas. Better mix here than Fallout which is almost entirely in ruins.

8 Size Seems to be a very large game. I am only in the first level and the map has a single staircase down which no doubt leads to limitless maps.

9. Stability Excellent, has never crashed on me and I have not seen any bad bugs

10. Interface Is OK, could be improved a little here and there. Map is OK, and gets slightly better without scrolls of forgetfulness, but could be improved. Merchant window interface is not as streamlined as it could be. Combat system definitely takes a bit to get used to, but I have grown to really like it. It has depth, and is tied in well with your stats so it does not seem all strategy. Dialogue and update windows and fonts are done very well and have a lot of polish, as any terminal font would.

Overall, I am having a great time with this game. If you liked Fallout 1 and 2 I think you will have a blast with this game. It is now a pretty polished product. It is a shame it was not released originally like this it may have been a big hit. It is a very good hybrid of some old time RPG elements with a more modern action combat system, butone that works well. But it is not a Gothic or Morrowind type game. It definitely feels and plays like a good stroy driven RPG with an excellent character development system that lends itself to many different builds and setups so replayability is excellent. And it is fun.

K8tdog

Novice
Crufty

I recently downloaded nethack 3.4.3. Boy, it sure is great! They've really improved it since the last time I installed it. I would say it's like a text-based Diablo, but turn based.

Low blow. Nethack is one of the greatest games of all time (Not as good as Angband, but close).

Vault Dweller

Developer
K8tdog said:
VD,

it fucking sucks

I don't understand why there isn't a literacy level required on these boards.
To give people like you a fighting chance. Btw, have you ever seen this character - " , " ? Try inserting it somewhere to increase your literacy rate by at least 50%.

I bet your favorite game is Fallout. How original.
I wasn't aware that my goal in life is to be original and impress people with how original I am.

K8tdog

Novice
VD copies another person's post. Have you an original thought? I can't wait for the profanity.

Having a favorite game is NOT about originality. However, you should be able to support your choices with coherent thought instead of copying the though of others.

(BTW, you are free to use that in subsequent posts)

K8tdog

Novice
It appears that there are very few people on this board that have actually played the CE version. Bottom line, it is fun and a good value.

For those of you that are looking for some ideal RPG where the world reacts realistically and the encounters are perfectly represented, go live your life a little better, it's as real as it gets. If real life is too difficult, try the Sims.

Computer RPGs are about entertainment. For my money, it is about going up levels, getting cool stuff and getting 'lost' in the game. Throw in some classically designed dungeons and I will spend my $40 every time.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Then you are a happy camper, right? There are more RPGs that meet that criteria than you could poke a stick at, so life is good for you. Why worry what this board thinks?

Vault Dweller

Developer
K8tdog said:
VD copies another person's post. Have you an original thought?
Nope. Every post I've ever made I copied from somewhere. You were the first who figured it out. Now I'm ruined!

Having a favorite game is NOT about originality.
It's not what you implied 5 minutes ago.

However, you should be able to support your choices with coherent thought instead of copying the though of others.
Judging by your posts, coherent thought is not something you are intimately familiar with, so please don't use words you don't fully understand, dear.

Drakron

Arcane
K8tdog said:
It appears that there are very few people on this board that have actually played the CE version. Bottom line, it is fun and a good value.

The issue is DL was released in very sad state, now the CE comes out that is supposed to be the "real" game.

But ...

Tradictionaly "Collector Editions" offer small bonus of gameplay ... BG2 had extra merchants with new items, JE had a weapon replaced and a extra character model ... they DONT add content that sould be there in the first place, they are pretty much asking for you to pay TWICE for the same game if you dont get the "real" versions (CE) but the "beta" version (regular)

For those of you that are looking for some ideal RPG where the world reacts realistically and the encounters are perfectly represented, go live your life a little better, it's as real as it gets. If real life is too difficult, try the Sims.

Let me get this ... you are attacking one of the things Codex members actually agree on?

Computer RPGs are about entertainment. For my money, it is about going up levels, getting cool stuff and getting 'lost' in the game. Throw in some classically designed dungeons and I will spend my $40 every time.

Good for you ... too bad this forum goes beyond such basic elements of gameplay.

Perhaps when you get older you will understand ...

Vidder

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I recently bought another copy of Lionheart. Boy, it sure is great! They've really improved it since the last time I installed it. I would say it's like Fallout, but real time..

what? all thats in lionheart? no way!
i cant really remember although i bought and played it already.
Now i know: I will order it again, but as Collectors Edition!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vidder said:
Vault Dweller said:
I recently bought another copy of Lionheart. Boy, it sure is great! They've really improved it since the last time I installed it. I would say it's like Fallout, but real time..

what? all thats in lionheart? no way!
You better believe it. Bottom line, it is fun and a good value.

Xi

Arcane
To be honest, I was interested in Dungeon Lords origionally, but decided to hold off. There were some intriguing elements about it that I actually liked. I think the biggest turn off was the lack of polish, but I just never really felt like spending $40 on it.

Currently I'm holding off for OB, hopefully it doesn't suck, but once I have tired of that, and if there are a few decent reviews of DL:CE, I may give it a try. I'm sure it's price will have lowered by then anyway.

I like how it tries to be different mostly. It is a unique game that lacks presentation.(Though I'm sure certain people will argue differently) Just my Opinion.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Seymour's your man alright, I'll take that shrill chick who don't mind a good bite of ye olde knucle sandwich with backhand dressing, and a nice warm mug of shut the fuck up.

But seriously guys, I think we can agree that there's a couple of plants in this thread, not to mention the regular display of fruits and vegetables, but what we're forgetting here, is that Dungeon Lords is a RPG -playing role-game, and one that has many good RPG aspects, and it is therefore a game that many scientists and experts agree, is fit to be down with the Codex-boys, AMIRITE?

crufty

Arcane
K8tdog said:
Nethack is one of the greatest games of all time (Not as good as Angband, but close).

Ah, the slam wasn't on Nethack here, far from it. Nethack is worthy of praise, along with most other roguelikes (Ivan, Dungeon Crawl, Gearhead, Tower of Doom, etc).

I find myself playing only those games, if only because I can leave them running for days w/out crashing my computer, getting a level or two here and there.

bryce777

Erudite
I, too, am from san diego and not the original poster. All I can say of [$GAME] is I like it very much so! So do all my flatmates of which I have 17, being a typical american from san diego and not hyberadad where I would have 27.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom