Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition is quite good!

Mantiis

Cipher
Dungeon lords rocks - so does FAble

Sodomy too

Zufuriin

Scholar
Nice try, but I'm not buying it! You forgot that you are supposed to become a regular and well-respected poster first, then ooze out your propaganda.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
jplestat said:
1. Action RPG It does fall into this category. However, it feels very much like Gothic 2 in the impementation. The combat system does take a while to get used to, but it is more varied and interesting than the one in Gothic 2, a game I really liked.
The Gothic combat always sucked, so I can't see how it's a positive thing. People do like Gothic, but not for the combat.

Your stats and skils have a huge influence on your success in fights...
Isn't that the way of all RPGs, from Diablo to Fallout, from Lionheart to Bloodlines? It's like saying "this game has a character system!". Well, lovely, but that's the basics.

Your stats and skils have a huge influence on your success in fights...
Your skills and stats have a noticeable influence on your combat ability
So, is it huge or noticeable? Make up your mind.

Fighting is very hectic ... It is not a mindless click fest.
Hectic: Characterized by intense activity, confusion, or haste.

1b. Magic system. Different types of magic and different ways of casting spells.
Holy shit! I'm sold. I will place 3 orders right now because a game with different types of magic deserves no less.

Character development system is skill based and very well done.
It's ok. Not as good as D2 system though.

Overall, I am having a great time with this game. If you liked Gothic 1 and 2 I think you will have a blast with this game.
Why? Is it open ended like Gothic? Does it have the same atmosphere of a living world? Are there factions? Or is it just the crappy combat thing?

It definitely feels and plays like a good stroy driven RPG with an excellent character development system that lends itself to many different builds and setups so replayability is excellent.
Here you have a reasonable number of race choices at the beginning and several basic class archetypes like fighter, thief, mage, though the manual indicates that eventually you develop into many different and varied subclasses
So, the manual told you that you can have "many different builds and setups"?

I am enjoying it as much as any RPG I have played in a number of years and I have played almost all of them.
Quite an ad you've got here.

Anyway, overall, it's a very poor review as you've managed to describe NOTHING, but it's an excellent ad, and I'm sure it would work very well.

Vival

Augur
I'm sure the "specialized balloon" probings are a pleasure.

Jason

chasing a bee
OMG! I innocently clicked a link an now I'm a scat freak for life! That wasn't funny or cool!!!

(ps: Has Tubgirl been working out? She's looking pretty good these days.)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
VD went way too in depth in that rebuttal...

I was bored the other day and decided to try it with the new patch. I was surprised to find that I really liked it. I saw the collector's edition in the store and knowing it was improved even past the 1.4 patch I bought it

You just admitted you have not only DL, you went and paid money for DLCE! This means one of two things, you are a liar, or a complete moron.

If you're a liar, nothing you say can be taken at face value, and there's no reason for further discussion.

If you're a complete moron nothing you say can be taken as anything other than the ramblings of a moron, and there's no reason for further discussion.

K8tdog

Novice
VD's point by point rebuttal to the review is vacuous.

Picking apart the individual features by saying that they exist in other games is meaningless. Criticizing the Declaration of Independence because of its unoriginality (after all it contains the same 26 letters of the english alphabet as every other document written in english) is just as effective.

The thing that made the original release suck was the overall package implementation.

The thing that makes the CE version fun is the overall package implementation.

Dreamcatcher should be vilified for the original release. However, gamers have a short memory. Traditionally, we don't cut a company slack for past successes and if a title is good then the past failures don't affect our opinion too much either.

PLAY THE GAME. After that give us some coherent thoughts on what is good/bad about it in its current state. If you are unwilling to spend the money to play the current version, stay out of the discussion because your opinion is no longer relevant.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
K8tdog said:
VD's point by point rebuttal to the review is vacuous.
Yes, I'm sorry I pointed out the flaws in it.

Picking apart the individual features by saying that they exist in other games is meaningless.
There is a huge difference between mentioning standard features and explaining how they work and what makes them different from similar features in other games.

PLAY THE GAME.
Don't you mean BUY THE GAME?

...stay out of the discussion because your opinion is no longer relevant.
Thanks for the advice, mister.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Elwro said:
So it is basically a patch that you have to pay for even if you have the original edition? Way to cater to the loyal fans :D

My favourite recent example of that is Europa 1400: The Guild and it's Gold edition. There's nothing quite like saying 'fuck you' to the original fans.

DemonKing

Arcane
While I deplore the concept of releasing a CE that screws the poor suckers that originally bought a buggy game by including new material not available to those with the original edition, I didn't buy the original based on the awful reviews. Given the pretty positive feedback on the CE solely in terms of decreased bugginess and improved gameplay, I'll probably give it a shot.

I guess the lesson is to wait and read some reviews before you rush out and buy something, and if it ain't up to scratch initially hold fire and wait and see if the glaring issues are addressed in patches.

Otherwise you've got no one to blame but yourself.

obediah

Erudite
K8tdog said:
PLAY THE GAME. After that give us some coherent thoughts on what is good/bad about it in its current state. If you are unwilling to spend the money to play the current version, stay out of the discussion because your opinion is no longer relevant.

The game, the developer, and the publisher are no longer relevant. I don't care how good Dungeon Lords Fan-Rape Special Edition is, buying it only encourages what they've done. I'd rather see PC gaming go away completely rather then dumping unfinished buggy shit on the players and then casually taking six months to work on the patch and a new edition at the same time.

galsiah

Erudite
True, but this can be argued both ways: if the CE is really good, and people don't buy it, publishers might take that as an indication that giving extra time to get it right isn't worth it. They might see that the increase in quality did little for sales, and think "Why give games schedule extensions? - the quality version of game X sold no better than the buggy version. We clearly need to focus more on hyped media promotion - that's what sells a game."

Assuming the current version is a great improvement on the original (and I have no knowledge on this either way), buying it sends two messages:
(1) That gamers will pay for quality, not just hype.
(2) That screwing loyal fans by making them buy the game twice works.

Not buying the quality version says:
(1) That gamers won't pay for quality alone.
(2) That screwing loyal fans by making them buy the game twice doesn't work.

If publishers are brilliant statisticians, logicians, and all around smart guys, they'll see past these simple conclusions, and view things in a reasonable light. Do you have such a high opinion of publishers? Personally I'm more inclined to believe that most of them are simple folk who'll believe the first obvious conclusion that presents itself.
In that case, you have to choose between telling publishers:
"We don't care about quality - give us hype."
or
"Screw us over all you like."

For a publisher to get the right idea, they'd have to be looking at more than bottom line figures. If they are, your purchase is unlikely to matter. If they're not, you're stuck with one of the above messages. Will a publisher assume that delaying a version 1 release to make it as good as the CE would have sold significantly more than the version 1 release and CE sales combined? I'm not sure they will.

obediah

Erudite
galsiah:

You make some good points. Unfortunately, publishers are a very hard headed bunch. If the CE sells the only messages they will get is sell early, and sell often, and make up lame excuses for your forum being down when convenient.

If it could be legally justified, a class action lawsuit for people that bought the original would be one method of getting the message across.

Honestly, the only point that I'm really sore on is that the collector's edition isn't free for the poor saps that bought the first version. The "we hated to release the game in that state, but it was either that or not release at all - we've made a patch of the CE addition as an apology" angle would work for me.

DemonKing:

I agree with you for the most part, I probably would have bought DL if it had been well received. While your attitude is fine for a savy consumer sick of forum whingers, it's not an attitude I'd recommend for a publisher or developer.

K8tdog

Novice
A brief summary of VD's posts...

The Gothic combat always sucked, so I can't see how it's a positive thing. People do like Gothic, but not for the combat......Isn't that the way of all RPGs, from Diablo to Fallout, from Lionheart to Bloodlines? It's like saying "this game has a character system!". Well, lovely, but that's the basics.....So, is it huge or noticeable? Make up your mind.....Hectic: Characterized by intense activity, confusion, or haste.....Holy shit! I'm sold. I will place 3 orders right now because a game with different types of magic deserves no less.....It's ok. Not as good as D2 system though.....Why? Is it open ended like Gothic? Does it have the same atmosphere of a living world? Are there factions? Or is it just the crappy combat thing?....So the manual told you that you can have "many different builds and setups"?.....Quite an ad you've got here.....Anyway, overall, it's a very poor review as you've managed to describe NOTHING, but it's an excellent ad, and I'm sure it would work very well......Yes, I'm sorry I pointed out the flaws in it.....
There is a huge difference between mentioning standard features and explaining how they work and what makes them different from similar features in other games.....Don't you mean BUY THE GAME?.....Thanks for the advice, mister.

Statistics:

comments 14
game relevant 2
accurate criticism 1
'Why? Is it open ended like Gothic? Does it have the same atmosphere of a living world? Are there factions? Or is it just the crappy combat thing?'

Good question. Answer -- linear world that doesn't seem particularly alive for 2006. There are factions/guilds that are mutually exclusive. Combat is subjective, I like it.

For the record, I mean PLAY THE GAME. I could give a crap if you buy it, pirate it, rent it etc..... After sampling the game, comment to your hearts delight about the game.

Continuing from my 1st post....

Good -- adjustable random encounters, varied puzzles, real dungeon traps, group monster ai, magic mouths, monster animation (snakes are cool), combo moves, Dungeon crawls remind me of Dungeon Master & Black Crypt, items can be sold/repaired at any vendor, coughing animation.
Bad -- artificial terrain boundaries, linear, still a few bugs/glitches, identification system, too many similar items, auto-junking of items is too generic

still unknown -- double tap evasion moves (not sure how useful yet)
-- magic system (5 different types with different methods of spell acquisition/use ...one use...multiple reagent....rune combination....auto regeneration... unknown
-- not sure I like the D&D-like armor class/weapon damage spreads (smaller numbers, but it seems balanced)
-- wilderness between towns seems useless and unpopulated except for random encounters (I like the abundentness of the areas to explore in Morrowind).

Still a hoot to play. I had an encounter with about 30 mushmen at once. They moved slow, but tried to surround me at every opportunity and they kept putting me to sleep. I hope the item finds get a little more varied

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
K8tdog said:
icon_dribble.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom