Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A New Top 101 Poll

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
sounds like system made for people to vote max on pst even though they played it last time 20 yrs ago. clear agenda

Gandalf

Arbiter
What would be the best way to vote? Each user could write down his own 101 list in a post. If someone really cares about the subject, he will do it. Then someone could read those lists and count the votes of those about ten people and write it down and share the results.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What would be the best way to vote? Each user could write down his own 101 list in a post. If someone really cares about the subject, he will do it. Then someone could read those lists and count the votes of those about ten people and write it down and share the results.
that's propably the most complicate and labor-consuming way to do it for everyone involved

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I want some feedback on this format. Each person submits a list of their top 10 RPGs. Each game gets one point. Each person also submits a list of their top 5 "hidden gems". Again, each game gets one point. You can list a game in both categories if you think it fits, but any game that makes the cut for the Top RPGs list isn't going to be included in the Hidden Gems list. So a person's complete submission might look like this:

Top RPGs:
* Fallout
* Baldur's Gate 2
* Temple of Elemental Evil
* Gothic
* Icewind Dale
* Might & Magic 6
* Ultima Underworld
* Pool of Radiance
* Ultima 7
* Arcanum

Hidden Gems:
* Prelude to Darkness
* Albion
* Disciples of Steel
* The Dark Heart of Uukrul
* The Magic Candle

I think the appeal of doing these lists isn't just the prestige of having "the right games" at the top, but also for highlighting lesser known titles that are nevertheless worthy of attention.

Goldschmidt

Learned
The amount of games someone could post, should be kept to a minimum (5 or 10). Hardly anyone is going to take the time to make a personal top 101.

Butter: I think what you say is a fine proposal and you should run with it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think the appeal of doing these lists isn't just the prestige of having "the right games" at the top, but also for highlighting lesser known titles that are nevertheless worthy of attention.
I agree 100%, so would suggest up to 10 Hidden Gems as well, 5 is too few if you want to see cool stuff like Albion, Wizards & Warriors or Brigand: Oaxaca get any spotlight.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TL;DR: I suggest doing it in chunks of 5 years, from 1979-2024. Each person picks up to 5 games (#1 has 3 points, #2 has 2 points, #3-5 has 1 point). Do like 1 per month, so we do the 2019-2024 when the year is over. Or just wait and do it next year.
I'm in favor of waiting at least a while before we do something like this because GOTY 2023 is an important one and I don't want to distract from that.

Infinitron acting like nuCodexers ain't gonna push Bear Sex 3 through the voting like a massive bear dick through an innocent druid ass.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Infinitron acting like nuCodexers ain't gonna push Bear Sex 3 through the voting like a massive bear dick through an innocent druid ass.
If they want to make BG3 GOTY, you can't really do much about it, except for voting differently, can you? I'm sure going to do just that because I still haven't played Bear Sex 3 and don't plan to do it in near future.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Here's my pitch -

No more 'best of' polls. They don't actually tell anything, the methodology is shit, and it ends up w/ Oblivion listed on the top 101.

Meanwhile any game released before 1995 is unaccounted for -

This place should have a recommended list - people vote yes or no for a game - games that pass a certain threshold of yes' go on a list/wiki/whatever - you can also see those games 'no' votes.

That way you get multiple things:

A list that's going to provide RPG's worth at least looking into.
A list that will account for games that aren't going to make a 101 list because most people haven't played them - Disciples of Steel for example, or Prelude to Darkness.
A list that's regularly updated rather than a one time thing, so it's not going to attract a bunch of rando's from outside the forums to try to juice the counts.
A list that should self sort - Planescape will probably get the most yes votes, and will end up at the top the same way it would.

You'd also get a sense on games that may not have been played by most but are universally loved, vs games that are polarizing, giving you a better grasp of what you think is worth playing.
This sounds like a really good idea. We could also do things like "if you liked this, you might like this", depending on how we do this format. I would absolutely contribute what I could to something like this.
That said, for a more traditional top 101, I like Butter's idea best, but Felipe's idea to do it in chunks is also wise.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hundred Codexers chase a dream about a perfect poll for 90 days, and at the end PS:T always wins.
Yes, the voting rules may change the some results in the middle part of the table but top 10 won't be affected much. Maybe one or 2 games published in the last couple of years will break into it, but the Holy Trinity most likely will remain.

Beans00

Erudite
Don't let anyone who has a majority of posts in GD/POLITICS vote and the results will be much or pretty much identical to earlier lists.

Gregz

Arcane
only the 2014 one is legitimate,

12147.jpg

RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

Gregz

Arcane
2016-2023 or something list could be interesting, since it could feasibly include some hidden gem that flew under most people's radar. Another all-time list would be pretty pointless, it would just be old list + the biggest new releases and the only remotely interesting result would be pages upon pages of pointless hissy fits ("Witcher 3 made the list, the Codex has fallen", "What a shit list, next time we should make the objectively correct list by only allowing people with exact same taste as myself to vote", "How dare these subhumans put Fallout 2 in 4th place and Arcanum in 3rd place when if you were a 250 IQ, high-testosterone alpha male with a large penis such as myself you would know that by objective metrics of RPG goodness Fallout 2 is the 3rd best RPG of all time while Arcanum is the 4th")

^ This is the actual best idea in this thread.

Harthwain

Magister
Why are you inviting such decline?

Is this a way of finding out just how far the Codex has fallen?
Because Decline is The Way. For all roads lead further downwards. And the Codex can complain about how everything goes to shit and is shit.

Gregz

Arcane
Why are you inviting such decline?

Is this a way of finding out just how far the Codex has fallen?
Because Decline is The Way. For all roads lead further downwards. And the Codex can complain about how everything goes to shit and is shit.

Sounds gay as fuck. The Codex way used to be to resist and strike down Decline, not fucking embrace it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hundred Codexers chase a dream about a perfect poll for 90 days, and at the end PS:T always wins.
Yes, the voting rules may change the some results in the middle part of the table but top 10 won't be affected much. Maybe one or 2 games published in the last couple of years will break into it, but the Holy Trinity most likely will remain.
i think if you go away from popularity vote(as in allowing only positive votes) then whole list should look differently.

every year we discuss voting and nothing changes anyway

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... if you want to see cool stuff like Albion, Wizards & Warriors or Brigand: Oaxaca get any spotlight.

Except the problem is that we won't see "cool stuff" such as Albion, W&W and Brigand: Oaxaca (which are admittedly underrated gems).

This will never happen because the taste here is just trash. Better do what Beans above suggested. An unhealthy interest in politics is a precise filter.

For example Lord_Noob has 70% of his posts in politics (I have like 8%) and defends trash like Disco Elysium or Sovereign Syndicate (dressing games which aren't even RPGs).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Except the problem is that we won't see "cool stuff" such as Albion, W&W and Brigand: Oaxaca (which are admittedly underrated gems).

This will never happen because the taste here is just trash. Better do what Beans above suggested. An unhealthy interest in politics is a precise filter.

For example Lord_Noob has 70% of his posts in politics (I have like 8%) and defends trash like Disco Elysium or Sovereign Syndicate (dressing games which aren't even RPGs).
Thanks for following my posts. I'll send you the cost of rent in my head for January soon. I do not accept those rent-free visitors.

I might defend Disco Elysium (Sovereign Syndicate not so much) but I also played to completion games you barely touched if played at all: Prelude to Darkness, Teudogar, Omega Syndrome, Nethergate. Keep trying to be hardcore man, I'm sure lilura1 will finally spot you :) peace!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom