Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A New Top 101 Poll

Mortmal

Arcane
If a computer RPG can easily be translated to a TTRPG without changing its nature, then it is indeed a RPG. Conversely, if it has to be altered in a way than its game mechanics became completely different, then it is a fake RPG.
Disagree.

I believe people are way too focused on the idea that a computer RPG has to be a mirror of tabletop RPGs, just because that's what they started as.

Which is why I stick to the idea that cRPGs (true mirrors), RPGs (e.g. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest), Action RPGs (Dark Souls, Ys, Secret of Mana), are all RPGs. Could you still beat Dark Souls without engaging in its RPG elements? Probably, but it requires a very skilled person. It would be as valid as saying you can beat other cRPGs relying on lucky rolls all the time.
Thats the definition , but if we stick to that, there's almost nothing left.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Can Disco Elysium be easly adapted to a TTRPG. Yes.
Can Dsrk Souls be easly adapted to a TTRPG. Hardly.
Ergo we can remove Dark Soul from RPG. Problem solved.

That's the thing: why would you want to translate a videogame into a tabletop to discuss what genre a game is or isn't?

Videogame genres =/= tabletop genres.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's in RPG in a setting where a bunch of combat doesn't make sense, so no reason to make an entire combat system for 1-4 encounters. Those encounters are still determined based on character skills, not player skill. Exploration still exists, not just in the neighbourhood but in places like the doomed commercial area and others, all of which again utilize character skills to get there and for things you can do while there. I fail to see how that doesn't count as "exploration". The combat argument I can accept, but the "no exploration" is a very weak one.

Goldschmidt

Learned
and most of the Codexers never played RPGs of the '80s and '90s.

That can't possibly be true... Why even be on the codex then?

Political beliefs and/or behavioral issues that prevent them from posting on more mainstream sites.
Wow that's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard
Well OSK has a point. On the codex you can pretty much post anything. Something you cant do on most other forums. And mouth to mouth does get to the ears of some that they can vent their frustrations on this forum. That is why I love this place. You can call a nigger a nigger; you can troll.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

That's the thing: why would you want to translate a videogame into a tabletop to discuss what genre a game is or isn't?

It is just a definition to clear things a bit. You can call a game like Dark Souls a RPG if you want. But then what genre does a game like Fallout 1 or Baldur's Gate 3 belong? I remember that, in the '80-'90s, table top RPGs inspired games like these were simply called "RPGs" or "Computer RPGs".

I understand that in the mid of the '00s this "antiquated" genre looked like it was exinct and that it "evolved", but in recent years it seems that it has come back and it is still alive, coexisting with games like Dark Souls or Assassin's Creed. There is now a whole lot of games clearly inspired and contiguous to table top RPGs. How can we call them?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I dunno but I've seen some crazy conversions like the xcom to tabletop and Ultima 4-5 to tabletop. It was maps mostly in the u4-5 case using a hexmapper. Oh those were good maps in that yahoo group.

lillith

Barely Literate
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which of the RPG tenets outlined above disco elysium fails to have, other than arguably "has an underworld", which is preeetttty tenuous. If you expand the "underworld" to include interior areas, basements, etc, disco Elysium fulfills all of the requirements given. That's not a matter of opinion, it's all there in the game.

I don't care if it becomes the codex's favorite, I'm just saying that it's ludicrous to say it's not an RPG when by your own given definition it clearly is.

Time to move the goalposts maybe?
For me, one of the most important aspects of any RPG-like game is mastering the combat system. It involves two factors:
  • Getting the response from the game on how my character performs during combat. For that, I need a lot of data (that is, a lot of combat) in some pretty uniform format (unlike, for example, in typical platform games where things are often very hard to generalize).
  • The ability to change my character / party composition depending on how my character performs (or is expected to perform) in combat.
Does this game you are discussing have both of them?
By your second point, some early single protagonist RPGs like dragon warrior would fall short of the definition of RPGs, and yet, there they are.

Harthwain

Magister
You can call a game like Dark Souls a RPG if you want. But then what genre does a game like Fallout 1 or Baldur's Gate 3 belong?
I see a different problem here. Compare Dark Souls to Gothic and Morrowind (in other words: other action games with RPG elements).

Morrowind seems to be the most obvious candidate to be an RPG, considering how stats impact everything player's character is doing (including chance to cast a spell or hit a target). In Gothic combat leans way more into the player's side (reaction time, etc.), but your character still has to learn certain things before being able to do them (how to use better fighting styles, how to skin animals, etc.). In Dark Souls you simply... improve your stats and buy/upgrade items with souls. That's it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom