Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Prepare yourself. It will be a DX1 remake.
Imagine uproar when they discover in-game themes of conspiracy theories and man-made virus with vaccine shenaningans.
It would be nuclear meltdown to them, like discovering that (still theoretical at this point) remake of Resident Evil 5 is set in Africa

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
RE5 got plenty of shit at the time for being set in Africa, so much so that they changed the NPCs to be more multiracial looking (but still dark-skinned).

The tribals in the second act were totally African tho, so I'm guessing Capcom counted on the fact that race-baiters wouldn't play the game that far.

deuxhero

Arcane
Could mean that the game isn't far enough along to have VA work, or could mean that the new game isn't a Jensen game.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
Could mean that the game isn't far enough along to have VA work, or could mean that the new game isn't a Jensen game.
It will be a remake of the first Deus Ex.
Please no anything but that the game is fine as it is. If any game in the Deus Ex series should be remade it should be Invisible War because the setting was interesting but the game as a whole had issues.

Cross

Arcane
Why would you think that? While there have been dozens of triple-A remakes of older console games, as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a single triple-A remake of an old PC game. Black Mesa doesn't count because it's fan-made. System Shock obviously isn't triple-A. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Warcraft III: Reforged cost a ton to make since Blizzard is so incompetent.

The modern Deus Ex games have a completely different design philosophy from the original, so I find it hard to believe Eidos would revisit something they deliberately ditched.

Then there's the subject matter, which nobody in the games industry would be willing to touch. Warren Spector himself recently denounced the original game for its "conspiracy theories".

deuxhero

Arcane
Deus Ex is such a mess on current systems and has some major unfixed bugs it could warrant an actual remaster (as in from original master files) with no non-bugfix changes (except maybe an option for PS2 graphics). Wouldn't be something to put Eidos proper on though.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Can't be done. First DX was far too based for normies to handle. One visit to Hong Kong and libshits' heads would explode.

The entire plot about the government creating a virus to take over the world via a vaccine regime hits close enough to home that you could see some "peaceful protests" outside EIDOS HQ.

If there is a remake, my guess is that it will be a watered down POS with little real conspiracy stuff left in it. Who knows, maybe as a way to get people to avoid playing the original.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As of the beginning of the year, some key Eidos-Montréal devs that worked on the latest Deus Ex games moved to an unannounced project. Also of note, you can see via LinkedIn that several level designers that worked on Far Cry 6 and/or the next BioShock joined the studio in the past few months, including people that had left the studio before (around the time Square-Enix canceled Project MD2). I think something is up.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Human Revolution and Mankind Divided sales dwarfed the original's
https://www.siliconera.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-and-mankind-divided-sales-reach-12-million/

I can't get exact figures but to date Deus Ex 1's sale figures are sub 2 million - the last time it was checked was in 2011 where the actual recorded figure was 1 Million units.
Based on these figures though its less likely to be a Deus Ex 1 title. I'm not going to say its impossible - it could be someone important's "vanity project" but based on what evidence we have, it makes more business sense to continue the Jensen story - and Invisible War would also make them adverse to doing anything related to the original even though Deus Ex 1 has a lot of fans, but if you run the numbers Human Revolution has more.

Bit of a bitter pill to swallow but facts are facts.

Deus Ex has an official remaster. It's called Revision
:nocountryforshitposters:
ain't official bud. Otherwise you'd be calling me an official developer. Check the credits of who's work they used.
Also GMDX is better there I said it lol
I still need to do a helios texture run because I think they surpassed the work we did, it looks REALLY good. I think the Reimagined textures though go a bit too far.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The OG definitely doesn't need a remake. I'm down for a remake of Invisible War, it's hands down the worst Deus Ex title. As for Elias, who knows, they might still not need to record the VA or they might be going for a different protagonist this time around. Or they just aren't working on a new Deus Ex title ;d

fuzz

Liturgist
Deus Ex is such a mess on current systems and has some major unfixed bugs it could warrant an actual remaster (as in from original master files) with no non-bugfix changes (except maybe an option for PS2 graphics). Wouldn't be something to put Eidos proper on though.
Works fine for years via Lutris.

tommy heavenly6

Learned
Works fine for years via Lutris.
It's funny how Linux has become the defacto best way to play old Windows games.

Gargaune

Arcane
I played it on Windows 7 last year, it absolutely did not work well without that third party hack.
I thought it might be something related to DX7 handling on different Windows versions, but must be something else then.

If a game needs third party mods to function, it's a mess.
Eh, don't need to go into the semantics, I agree with your general sentiment - it is broken on modern platforms. Distributors really should integrate a minimalist configuration of Kentie's D3D10 renderer and DeusExe launcher with it at this point, like GOG did with TFix Lite for Thief.

J1M

Arcane
Human Revolution and Mankind Divided sales dwarfed the original's
https://www.siliconera.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-and-mankind-divided-sales-reach-12-million/

I can't get exact figures but to date Deus Ex 1's sale figures are sub 2 million - the last time it was checked was in 2011 where the actual recorded figure was 1 Million units.
Based on these figures though its less likely to be a Deus Ex 1 title. I'm not going to say its impossible - it could be someone important's "vanity project" but based on what evidence we have, it makes more business sense to continue the Jensen story - and Invisible War would also make them adverse to doing anything related to the original even though Deus Ex 1 has a lot of fans, but if you run the numbers Human Revolution has more.

Bit of a bitter pill to swallow but facts are facts.

Deus Ex has an official remaster. It's called Revision
:nocountryforshitposters:
ain't official bud. Otherwise you'd be calling me an official developer. Check the credits of who's work they used.
Also GMDX is better there I said it lol
I still need to do a helios texture run because I think they surpassed the work we did, it looks REALLY good. I think the Reimagined textures though go a bit too far.
Is this post in good faith?

Deus Ex selling over a million boxed PC copies in 2000 is more impressive than the obsfucated multiplatform sales of Mankind Divided. As you say, facts are facts: Deus Ex's sales immediately warranted greenlighting a sequel. Mankind Divided's sales cancelled a trilogy.

I am not aware of any public numbers for Deus Ex and Invisible War that would allow you to directly compare heavily discounted digital sales of those games with the 12m sales of the more recent titles.

Again, facts are facts, and Mankind Divided does not have the legacy of being one of the best games ever made.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I am not aware of any public numbers for Deus Ex and Invisible War that would allow you to directly compare heavily discounted digital sales of those games with the 12m sales of the more recent titles.
I told you already, the only figures we have are from 2011, Embracer seems to be leveraging more on Human Revolution that by 2011 had sold more than the original Deus Ex.
The problem is that Mankind Divided is bundled in with Human Revolutions sales figures. This is Embracers interpretation not mine. and yeah it reeks of a lack of transparency on their part they are covering up that Mankind Divided was a flop.
Human Revolution in its first year sold more than Deus Ex 1 and Invisible War combined.
Invisible War in 2011 sold more units than Deus Ex 1 (probably because it was on Xbox).

The Deux Ex series has sold over 16.4 million copies.​

(Source: VG Chartz)

• The original Deus Ex sold 1.1 million copies.
  • Deus Ex: Invisible War sold 1.3 million copies.
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Human Revolution sold 12 million copies.
  • Deus Ex Go and The Fall sold 2 million copies.

I mean ultimately its hard to say what they'll do but looking at it, the franchise is in a mess at the moment Human Revolution appears to be the best selling game total. Embracer will be looking at it from the perspective of "how do we replicate those figures specifically"
I'm trying to give you objective truth here. Objective truth is, Human Revolution is the best selling Deus Ex title.

What about nameless mod remake?
Didn't that already happen? I thought they already did that? Yes TNM 2.0 is a thing apparently.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I told you already, the only figures we have are from 2011, Embracer seems to be leveraging more on Human Revolution that by 2011 had sold more than the original Deus Ex.
The problem is that Mankind Divided is bundled in with Human Revolutions sales figures. This is Embracers interpretation not mine. and yeah it reeks of a lack of transparency on their part they are covering up that Mankind Divided was a flop.
Human Revolution in its first year sold more than Deus Ex 1 and Invisible War combined.
Invisible War in 2011 sold more units than Deus Ex 1 (probably because it was on Xbox).

The Deux Ex series has sold over 16.4 million copies.​

(Source: VG Chartz)

• The original Deus Ex sold 1.1 million copies.
  • Deus Ex: Invisible War sold 1.3 million copies.
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Human Revolution sold 12 million copies.
  • Deus Ex Go and The Fall sold 2 million copies.

I mean ultimately its hard to say what they'll do but looking at it, the franchise is in a mess at the moment Human Revolution appears to be the best selling game total. Embracer will be looking at it from the perspective of "how do we replicate those figures specifically"
I'm trying to give you objective truth here. Objective truth is, Human Revolution is the best selling Deus Ex title.

What about nameless mod remake?
Didn't that already happen? I thought they already did that? Yes TNM 2.0 is a thing apparently.
It's not an apples to apples comparison. For one, I don't believe those numbers capture 21 years of sales for the first game. More importantly, unlike Deus Ex, Human Revolution was released on 3 platforms with a large marketing push. It also had the benefit of being a sequel to a well-known franchise instead of a new IP.

The relative budgets and total size of the market was also vastly different 11 years later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom