Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

aloeh

Novice
I liked humam revolution and mankind divided.

Mankind Divided in the middle to end became repetitive, but I liked the storyline, and the simple ending. Just because the game suggested a continuation.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://tech4gamers.com/deus-ex-co-op-unreal-engine-5/

Eidos Montreal is looking for a Senior Game Designer, and this job listing states:
Deus-Ex-Co-op-Unreal-Engine-5.jpg

Deus-Ex-Co-op-Unreal-Engine-5-2.jpg

"Co-op" and "Deus Ex" should not be in the same sentence yet here we are

Wunderbar

Arcane
Chaos Theory-style coop would fit Deus Ex pretty well. Obviously that's not what they are likely planning, but still.

Fargus

Arcane
Coop is for pussies. Original Desu Ex had pvp mode added later. New Desu Ex needs a multiplayer with rank ups like CoD, maybe battle royale mode. And hopefully they add battlepass and skin store too.

Monetization and player engagement possibilities are endless.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is Deus Ex the only series in existence where the devs more or less perfected the formula on the first try, only to have every subsequent game try to move further away from that formula?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is Deus Ex the only series in existence where the devs more or less perfected the formula on the first try, only to have every subsequent game try to move further away from that formula?
Not really. Deus Ex has consistently had the same formula and it works every time, the problem has been content rather than form. And it has only ever been a real problem in Invisible War, both HR and MD are surprisingly playable.

J1M

Arcane
A co-op mode for Deus Ex that split the gameplay between two people could work. But it would have to function like an operator/agent relationship that you see in a movie like Mission Impossible.

I don't see this being shipped by a modern studio because to do it properly the operator role would have to be explicitly a support role with less agency/options/impact than the agent.

To be more explicit, I would give the operator a map view, the ability to participate in the hacking minigames, and other minor actions related to voice communications between the players. The primary player would get a more cinematic experience because they would view fewer menus. (Essentially acknowledging that these people primarily wanted to spend time together, not enable cheats for a game.)

ADL

Prophet
I thought Eidos Montreal were working on two games simultaneously, a cooperative action adventure game with games-as-a-service elements while assisting on Microsoft's Fable and a new Deus Ex game. I highly doubt the next Deus Ex will have multiplayer in any form.

I never realized the original had multiplayer. I looked up some videos. It looks terrible, honestly. I haven't played past Human Revolution. I remember everything being enjoyable until they wussed out on the plot after FEMA. Whereas the original took a serious look at conspiracy theories and constructed a plot that considered them in an intelligent way, HR felt like it got a tap on the shoulder and actively undid all of its build up once you get through FEMA.

Gargaune

Arcane
I thought Eidos Montreal were working on two games simultaneously, a cooperative action adventure game with games-as-a-service elements while assisting on Microsoft's Fable and a new Deus Ex game. I highly doubt the next Deus Ex will have multiplayer in any form.
That's what I'm hoping, and it would be a major misstep for Eidos Montreal to fuck with a winning formula at this point. DX4 was altogether excellent, only held back by a middling plot and Square Enix's bizarre marketing shenanigans, but it was also a massive undertaking in production, so you'd hope the developers haven't lost track of that. Alas, the games industry hasn't been a hotbed for optimism for a long time now.

Lemming42

Arcane
Your older brother/clone is going to be a strong and independent black woman in this one, right?
Imagine that!!!

Except Paul can already be black in DX1 if you make JC black, and the option to make JC female was planned during development, so having the option available wouldn't be any kind of real departure from Ion Storm's vision.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I only come to say this: stop wasting your time hoping there’ll be a proper successor to Desu Ex produced under the IP, because there already exists one outside of it: Brigand Oaxaca it’s what you’ve been waiting for.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
"Co-op" and "Deus Ex" should not be in the same sentence yet here we are
Here's the thing though it can be done but the market is expecting a single player experience. Its one of those things where you'd probably want to do it after a core-product was shipped and you're just doing support for it. (this is why it sorta made sense for cyberpunk to do it but they ended up in perpetual patching hell where they're probably never going to escape from it). I think its one of those things where you should probably attempt it with a throwaway title first and then if you find its working out for you or not you don't risk damaging the brand. That's probably how I'd handle it. I think yes developers should be able to experiment but not when it comes at the expense of what the brand is known for by that point. Its one of those read the room things, and its obvious EidosMont isn't reading the room here. "I never asked for this"
Xcom I'd say is a candidate for this as well. Jagged Alliance doesn't count because JA1 and JA2 were excellent and every subsequent game beyond that was trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom