Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion dialogue

Lumpy

Arcane
Been a while since anyone posted a thread about Oblivion, eh?
But I want to know, what do you think about the dialogue? It has dialogue trees now, less wikiness, and full voice. What else do you want?

Lumpy

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Proof that these things are actually in?
The E3 demo had a dialogue tree.
It began with a topic, Daedra attack. She invited you in, and you could say wither "Sure, I'd love to" and "Why would I saty in this dump?". If you chose the second option, you could then say "I was only kidding."
It's not much, but at least we know it's there. And maybe it's much more developed in the game. Of course, they may have dumped it since E3.

Twinfalls

Erudite
whut? the dialogue SUCKS - surely you can see that. The dialogue is the very LAST thing they have given any publicity to. In fact, there's been no publicity whatsoever given to dialogue. It's like it don't even exist. That e3 video had the shittiest dialogue EVER.

Zomg

Arbiter
I liked the hyperlinked dialogue. I can explain why if confronted.

Judging by the E3 demo, which is totally unfair, the Oblivion dialogue system looks really anemic, with poorly directed voice acting, poor writing and modest tree complexity.

Micmu

Magister
They just renamed "Next" and "Continue" with something new and unique, like "Yes, I agree", "I'm only kidding" so Lumpy can call this a dialogue tree.

Who needs dialogue anyway? It only slows you down.
You people are like soooo 90s. Stop whining & get a life. :D

Zomg

Arbiter
I thought the hyperlinked dialogue system modelled conversations between strangers very well, albeit in an abstracted way (meaning that the sentences on the screen are not intented to be what was actually spoken, but usually a tone-neutral summary). There is a greeting, a question, request or offer is posited, and further interaction is limited to elaboration on things that came up incidentally.

Take the conversation with the legionaire guy in the first town:

(Greeting)
Take this package to so and so in Balmora.
<click on Balmora hyperlink>
(Directions to Balmora)
<click on some specific>
(elaboration)

And so on, it's actually very natural (excepting the nature of the directive) but not canned and linear in the way that a dialogue-tree version of the interaction would be. On the other hand, it was quite bad at showing something like a friendship or otherwise close or intense relationship, particularly when the range of topics should naturally be limited (Did you murder your wife? Where's Balmora?). I'm thinking of Vivec here, where a dialogue tree system would have been ideal for roleplaying antagonism, curiosity, and other likely conversational tones that would intensely affect the content of the interaction. But given the "stranger in a strange land" theme of Morrowind and the nature of quests (You were usually treated as a disinterested or mercenary contractor, for better or worse), the hyperlink model usually fit well.

Daggerfall, without hyperlinks but with similar impersonal conversation choices also did abstract conversation with strangers or near-strangers in ways that would have been stilted with explicit pure dialogue trees (particularly given the generated town NPCs), namely asking for directions or rumors.

I'd be interested to see how well a robustly hybridized hyperlink/dialogue tree game would manage.

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
whut? the dialogue SUCKS - surely you can see that. The dialogue is the very LAST thing they have given any publicity to. In fact, there's been no publicity whatsoever given to dialogue. It's like it don't even exist. That e3 video had the shittiest dialogue EVER.
So, if you haven't seen the dialogue, how do you know it sucks? My point was, at least there are the dialogue trees you've been always bitching about.
The dialogue in the trailer was basic, and quite poor indeed.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MW also had dialogue "trees":

U HAEV CAMMITTED A CRAIM!!!! PLZ PAY US $!

OK
-or-
I KILL U WITH DEATH!!!!

What's your point, Lumpy?

Twinfalls

Erudite
'that which we have seen' sucks.

Of course we hope the actual, final dialogue is awesomely sophisticated, challenging, unusual, gives free rein to some really talented writers, and gives you the opportunity to flesh out your character in different ways.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
MW also had dialogue "trees":

U HAEV CAMMITTED A CRAIM!!!! PLZ PAY US $!

OK
-or-
I KILL U WITH DEATH!!!!

What's your point, Lumpy?
I don't get what you're trying to prove with that "-shun" speak.
And my point: the dialogue in Oblivion is not 100% wiki. The example from Morrowind is hardly a dialogue tree, and that kind of choices were very rare in Morrowind.
And those things in the trailer really look like sentences to me. How deep would you like dialogue trees to be?

And Twinfalls, I know you all want those things. But you all are very pessimistic.

Heck, from what I heard so far, Oblivion will have ALL things missing from Morrowind, besides, maybe, actions affecting the game world. But they might be in. It seems it even has politics, and nobles competing for power.

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
'that which we have seen' sucks.

Of course we hope the actual, final dialogue is awesomely sophisticated, challenging, unusual, gives free rein to some really talented writers, and gives you the opportunity to flesh out your character in different ways.
I don't remember it sucking so badly. It's been awhile since I watched the video, though. Still, care to explain why you didn't like them?

And another question: from what you learnt so far about Oblivion, do you think it will be a good game?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Lumpy said:
It has dialogue trees now
There's no reason (except for "Trust us!") to believe that it will have better dialogue trees than Morrowind.
less wikiness
Less? By removing hyperlinks, which were a useful feature?
full voice
I don't care. Fully voiced dialogues mean that the dialogue writing phase has to be finished earlier and there's no coming back.
I notice voicing only when it's superbly done, like in Bloodlines.

On the other hand, somehow I'm sure I'll like the game and play it for a long time.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
Heck, from what I heard so far, Oblivion will have ALL things missing from Morrowind, besides, maybe, actions affecting the game world. But they might be in. It seems it even has politics, and nobles competing for power.

You mean like in Morrowind, how you could join Dagoth Ur.

Lumpy

Arcane
Elwro said:
Lumpy said:
It has dialogue trees now
There's no reason (except for "Trust us!") to believe that it will have better dialogue trees than Morrowind.
less wikiness
Less? By removing hyperlinks, which were a useful feature?
full voice
I don't care. Fully voiced dialogues mean that the dialogue writing phase has to be finished earlier and there's no coming back.
I notice voicing only when it's superbly done, like in Bloodlines.

On the other hand, somehow I'm sure I'll like the game and play it for a long time.
Morrowind had dialogue trees? Oh you mean those two choices questions? They're more l;ike bushes than trees.

Lumpy

Arcane
hiciacit said:
Lumpy said:

You mean like in Morrowind, how you could join Dagoth Ur.
I didn't miss it. One main quest was enough for me.
I'd rather they put in the Nine divines instead of an alternative Main Quest.

HardCode

Erudite
Lumpy said:
It seems it even has politics, and nobles competing for power.

Oh, sure, just like the "Great" Houses in Morrowind. Boy, I really liked how their competition affected the PC's world as he progressed. Nothing like being the leader of House Hlaalu and going to a Telvanni stronghold to buy spells and barter. Massive cross-interest roleplaying there :roll:

I have no faith that anything in Oblivion will be better for an RPG than that which was in Morrowind. In fact, the evidence shows it will be much worse.

Lumpy

Arcane
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:

Oh, sure, just like the "Great" Houses in Morrowind. Boy, I really liked how their competition affected the PC's world as he progressed. Nothing like being the leader of House Hlaalu and going to a Telvanni stronghold to buy spells and barter. Massive cross-interest roleplaying there :roll:

I have no faith that anything in Oblivion will be better for an RPG than that which was in Morrowind. In fact, the evidence shows it will be much worse.
Oh really? Deeper NPCs, factions that mean more than quest givers, deeper quests, more powerful magic are much worse? Interesting view.

HardCode

Erudite
Lumpy said:
Oh really? Deeper NPCs, factions that mean more than quest givers, deeper quests, more powerful magic are much worse? Interesting view.

Now you sound like a Bethesda PR employee. Just how are the NPCs "deeper"? I have yet to see anything indicating this. Perhaps the poor examples of dialog previously discussed? Deeper quests? So that must mean we have to bring back the quest giver 3 items instead of one? You would think if all of these Bethesda claims are true, they would release some evidence at this point. However, they are likely NOT true. I don't think Todd would know a deep quest if it bit him on the ass.

And more powerful magic means that there will be much more RPG involvement for the PC? You are starting to talk out of your ass.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Oh shut up both of you. It is a pointless and shit-talk. I mean, what if they try -- we'll see it when we see the game. If they fail horribly - we will see that and tell them so, if they at least surpass the morrowind's moronic level of rpness, then it'll be a progress, a big one. At least the game would be long-term enjoyable even for a non-munchkin.

We're either *hope* or we *think*, but we don't know. Well, I dont' hope, because i'm not really looking forward and i've had a misfortune of playing MW, so I think that the dialogs will suck, but they might be better -- we'll see.

Lumpy

Arcane
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:

Now you sound like a Bethesda PR employee. Just how are the NPCs "deeper"? I have yet to see anything indicating this. Perhaps the poor examples of dialog previously discussed? Deeper quests? So that must mean we have to bring back the quest giver 3 items instead of one? You would think if all of these Bethesda claims are true, they would release some evidence at this point. However, they are likely NOT true. I don't think Todd would know a deep quest if it bit him on the ass.

And more powerful magic means that there will be much more RPG involvement for the PC? You are starting to talk out of your ass.
So what kind of evidence would you like? Would you like them releasing walkthroughs for some quests? Or everything some NPCs say? They SAID that those are deeper. You said all evidence points to Oblivion being worse than Morrowind. The evidence we have, what they did say, contradicts that.

You're not judging the game right. If they remove some features to make the remaining ones better, you say that it's a step backwards, because there are less features, but the other ones being better is only a claim of the DEVs. However, I think it's a good decision to have 5 guilds instead of ten crappy ones we had in Morrowind.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:

It's so nice to be young and believe every word developers say. Who needs facts? The developers said that quests are deeper, NPCs are better, factions are wider, dialogues trees are taller, etc. The developers can't lie because they are adults!

Grow up, Lumpy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom