Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion - is it THAT bad?

Lumpy

Arcane
Oblivion teased us with the promise of the winter holidays release and quietly slipped into 2006 to meet various quality standards, which is always a good sign when it happens a month before the release. So, what do we know about this clearly revolutionary title? Let's start with the most important features that were patiently repeated by Bethesda's PR until they were firmly imprinted in everyone's mind: soil erosion, Radiant AI, virtual forests, and Patrick Stewart!!! (Yes, with three exclamation marks). I'm sure that the new generation of Bethesda's fans would enjoy the game with only the four elements mentioned above, but believe it or not, there are other features too. A lot of thought and hard work went into redesigning the game to make it accessible to all, even people without computers. Features were combined to ensure uninterrupted and smooth gameplay experience; features that couldn't be combined or were tagged as uncool by the focus group were removed. Mark & Recall are gone; levitation has been removed from towns and quite possibly from the game; mounted combat has never materialized, being easy to promise, but difficult to implement; the number of factions has been reduced, thereby removing one of the more interesting classes; daggers and swords now use one skill, axes are blunt weapons, staffs are rocket launchers, and we assume you already know that crossbows, throwing weapons and spears are gone. Dialogue screens have been guarded like a fabled treasure by Bethesda PR, probably for a good reason - the unofficial Russian preview showed screens featuring awful writing in big letters for either visually impaired or beginner readers. It looks like Bethesda decided to bet everything on visual aspects and familiar voices, hoping that that's more than enough in the new age of gaming. 2006 will tell.
Oh, come on. It's not that bad, is it? Well, sure, they did cut a lot of things, but they say they made the existing ones better:
-The combat system was... changed. In a good way for some, like Twinfalls, in a bad way for others. So I'll just ignore this.
- NPCs - According to Bethesda, they are all unique, and more interesting than Morrowind's.
- Quests - The ones that were announced do sound more interesting than Morrowind's - in one, you have to kill the guests at a party, without anyone seeing you. In the other one, you have to find a painter, who apparently was trapped in his own painting, and you have to find him there. Not much, I know, but an improvement nonetheless.
- Guilds - The guild questlines are said to be as deep as the main plotline. I know, I know, considering MW's main quest, this doesn't really mean much, but it's better than the guild questlines of Morrowind's guilds.
- Radiant AI - Besides being something neat to look at, and improving the atmosphere, it is also an important gameplay feature for thieves and assasins. Stealing will now be more than just sneaking in to grab the item, and assassinations will be more than going in and hacking at the target.

Most of these weren't proven, but Quality over Quantity is a good thing, and it's a bit unfair to only judge a game on the lack of quantity just because the amount of quality can't be known until we see the game.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Do we really have to go though that again, Lumpy? I listed facts, you listed promises. See the difference?

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Do we really have to go though that again, Lumpy? I listed facts, you listed promises. See the difference?
And I explained that quest and NPC quality can't be facts until the game is released. So it's unfair to judge it only by facts.

Oh, and I do appreciate the fact that you don't insult me, as I would deserve. Just Retardo Land this if it really annoys you...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Have I ever insulted you? Anyway, about NPCs, quests, and other stuff, that's what real previews and screens are for. Again, Bethesda killed that Russian preview for a reason.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Have I ever insulted you? Anyway, about NPCs, quests, and other stuff, that's what real previews and screens are for. Again, Bethesda killed that Russian preview for a reason.
I can't see how screens could show the quality of quests. As for previews, maybe they don't want to spoil too much of the game. I wouldn't. Notice that Desslock talked about the same quest that we were told about earlier, probably because Bethesda wanted so.
Oh, and finding a painter trapped in his painting is more interesting than the fetch the flowers quests in Morrowind, and even the kill the atronach quests in Daggerfall.

Proweler

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

So it's a rather unbalanced preview, don't you think?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Though I agree that it's too early to judge, there is still a very BIG point to keep in mind: there has been no screens that indicate a proper dialog system, with thouroughly-developed NPCs. Worse still, there actually were some Russian screens, as VD noted, that those huge-lettered npc's lines. Again, it is still not a hard-stone fact, but, you know, it doesn't look good. If our fears prove to be true, then we should expect a concept like Fable's, if not Morrowind's, and either are totally inappropriate for an RPG.

And yes, that's my only gripe, because the only thing I really care and fear about is NPC design and verbal interactions. The setting is good, the story *could* be good (you can't determine that from screens and interview info), and I still think they did change the combat in a way I would like, so here ya go.

Sisay

Liturgist
Didn't they do the same with Morrowind? Hype one quest and most of the rest turn out to be utter crap?

Zomg

Arbiter
Yar. "Fargoth's Quest", which was probably about 20 times as script intensive as the average MW quest, was preview fodder.

Shim

Novice
Sure, Oblivion could be THAT bad.

If Morrowind has taught the folks at Bethesda that pretty graphics are all that is needed to distract players attention away from some fairly obvious flaws in the gameplay then count me as one of the ‘cynical and somewhat disappointed ‘ minority.

Sadly, much of what I have read about Oblivion suggests that this is closer to the truth than I would like. For folk like me, Morrowind was a flawed classic. Amazing RPG in potential, just dont play it because ultimately youll be disappointed. Bethesda reminds me of a friend of a friend who is so damn talented (as an artist) but some of the ideas he clings to and loves are retarded and it holds him back from developing his talent. Oh well.

I don’t really understand people getting themselves all worked up over the ‘cuts’ (mark/recall/levitation etc..) made in the game. If combat in Oblivion proves to be stat-driven with challenging AI that allows a wide variety of strategies outside of what could be termed exploits or cheats then the cuts are justified in my opinion.

I have to agree with Metallix on the NPC interaction thing. Whats the point of having a highly customisable character if all the NPCs do to honour this is say things like “Hello, <insert PC race here>” ? In the demo vids I was shocked to see how few replies there were to NPC speech, is it too much to ask for more than two options both of which amount to “<Press any key to continue speaking to this NPC>” ? Bah, we will see.

Stargazey

Novice
I find that a lot of people are unwilling to accept change. Oblivion is not going to be Daggerfall. If you want to play Daggerfall, play fucking Daggerfall. Don't bitch and say Oblivion isn't Daggerfall.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Yeah, I'm biased, and I don't expect anyone to take my word for it -- but I think Oblivion is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. I think that even the doubters are going to be surprised, though they may not admit it out of stubbornness ;-)

OverrideB1

Scholar
Stargazey said:
I find that a lot of people are unwilling to accept change. Oblivion is not going to be Daggerfall. If you want to play Daggerfall, play fucking Daggerfall. Don't bitch and say Oblivion isn't Daggerfall.
Only a complete fucktard expects that things will never change - or believes that other people expect things to never change.

Change, however, should be change for the better - an improvement on what has gone before - not the wholesale butchery of skills, factions, weapons, and gameplay so that the developer can garner a few extra comments of "that's freaking cool" from people who think that Fable is a great RPG.

I've got Daggerfall, and - 10 years on - I still play it. It beats Morrowind into a cocked hat and will kick the arse of Oblivion for sheer depth of gameplay.

What I expect is a game that develops on what has gone before. Yeah, we've all heard the "it's a new game, built from the ground up" twaddle - but to abandon vast chunks of what made your game so popular in exchange for pretty graphics is the decision of a complete moron. But when you start shoving in rocket launchers, compasses, celebrity voices, newspapers, unkillable NPCs, and soil erosion and start cutting out mainstays of the series...

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Yeah, I'm biased, and I don't expect anyone to take my word for it -- but I think Oblivion is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. I think that even the doubters are going to be surprised, though they may not admit it out of stubbornness ;-)
Didn't you say that MW mage quests were "intricate"?

Stargazey

Novice
OverrideB1 said:
Stargazey said:
Only a complete fucktard expects that things will never change - or believes that other people expect things to never change.

Change, however, should be change for the better - an improvement on what has gone before - not the wholesale butchery of skills, factions, weapons, and gameplay so that the developer can garner a few extra comments of "that's freaking cool" from people who think that Fable is a great RPG.

What I expect is a game that develops on what has gone before. Yeah, we've all heard the "it's a new game, built from the ground up" twaddle - but to abandon vast chunks of what made your game so popular in exchange for pretty graphics is the decision of a complete moron. But when you start shoving in rocket launchers, compasses, celebrity voices, newspapers, unkillable NPCs, and soil erosion and start cutting out mainstays of the series...
See, what I find funny about this, is that you think you know that these changes are making Oblivion worse, not better. How do you know that having unkillable npcs, etc ... won't make the game better? You don't. You're saying that based on pure opinion, not facts. And, after all, the codex prides itself on facts ...

HardCode

Erudite
Stargazey said:
See, what I find funny about this, is that you think you know that these changes are making Oblivion worse, not better. How do you know that having unkillable npcs, etc ... won't make the game better? You don't. You're saying that based on pure opinion, not facts. And, after all, the codex prides itself on facts ...

How can making certain NPCs unkillable possibly be better? This is like saying walking on broken glass could be better than walking on grass, because you've never walked on broken glass. I think you may win the records for "fastest Dumbfuck title" in the history of the Codex.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Stargazey said:

And I find it equally risable that you are convinced that these changes somehow represent an improvement over what has gone before. It is your opinion that these changes will make the game better - completely unsupported by any concrete evidence. Just as it is my opinion the changes will make the game as enjoyable as a kick in the balls: unsupported by any concrete evidence. Get a fucking clue as to what an opinion is before you start whimbling on about them.

What are these oh-so-important facts? Hmmm, let me see...

There's a completely untried and untested scheduling system for the NPCs
There's a fucking quest compass for brain-dead morons who couldn't find Caius Cosades
There's horses you can't fight from the back of or use to carry stuff
There's soil erosion
There are celebrity voices (whoopie-fucking-do - Patrick Stewart!!!)
There are NPCs you can't kill
There are blunderbuss-style staves for the FPS crowd Bethesda wants money off
There are improvements to the magic system (allegedly)
There is an improvement to combat (allegedly)
Stealth as been improved (allegedly)
Another big plus - you now can brag online about how absolutely cool you are
And you know you're cool because there are "achievement panels" that pop up on the X360

Do I really need to go and and list all the rest of the "facts" - the stuff that has been removed? The facts we do have, the ones you set so much store by, are overwhelmingly negative - less of this, none of that, and oh, by the way, we've cut that out of the game too. Meanwhile, all the rest of the "facts" that you are basing your fanboyish opinion on are either elements that add sweet Fanny Adams to the game, are completely untried and untested outside of the heavily guarded R&D bunker at Bethesda, or are being kept as secret as Tony Blair's scholastic record.

Stargazey

Novice
HardCode said:
Stargazey said:

How can making certain NPCs unkillable possibly be better? This is like saying walking on broken glass could be better than walking on grass, because you've never walked on broken glass. I think you may win the records for "fastest Dumbfuck title" in the history of the Codex.
That's quite an achievement, around these parts, considering all the dumbfuckery ...

Maybe, killing off the heir isn't a good choice, in the game. Maybe gamers are getting so stupid, that they don't realize that.

OverrideB1 said:
Stargazey said:

And I find it equally risable that you are convinced that these changes somehow represent an improvement over what has gone before. It is your opinion that these changes will make the game better - completely unsupported by any concrete evidence. Just as it is my opinion the changes will make the game as enjoyable as a kick in the balls: unsupported by any concrete evidence. Get a fucking clue as to what an opinion is before you start whimbling on about them.

There's a fucking quest compass for brain-dead morons who couldn't find Caius Cosades
Ah, the compass ... The big bitching point for all Oblivion detractors. You haven't used the compass, and neither have I. Neither of us know what it'll be like.
I thought a dev confirmed you could transport stuff ...
There's soil erosion
I never got the soil erosion thing. Who gives a fuck either way?
See my above comment.
Bullshit. Bethesda isn't pandering to the FPS crowd; they're just not making a fucking daggerfall copy.
And you know you're cool because there are "achievement panels" that pop up on the X360
So, don't play it on the X360.

Jesus.

Alexander

Novice
OverrideB1 said:

There's a completely untried and untested scheduling system for the NPCs
There's soil erosion
There are celebrity voices (whoopie-fucking-do - Patrick Stewart!!!)
There are improvements to the magic system (allegedly)
There is an improvement to combat (allegedly)
Stealth as been improved (allegedly)

Do I really need to go and and list all the rest of the "facts" - the stuff that has been removed? The facts we do have, the ones you set so much store by, are overwhelmingly negative - less of this, none of that, and oh, by the way, we've cut that out of the game too. Meanwhile, all the rest of the "facts" that you are basing your fanboyish opinion on are either elements that add sweet Fanny Adams to the game, are completely untried and untested outside of the heavily guarded R&D bunker at Bethesda, or are being kept as secret as Tony Blair's scholastic record.

Righty then. let's see here,
untried and untested system for npc's. Untried and untested by you yes. However the devs have spent quite some time, and are still spending quite some time developing it. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind it to be honest, I mean if something isn't tried and tested, how could it ever be tried. Or in other words, if no one is brave enough to try out something new, wouldn't that mean we'd be stuck with the same old things in every game published?
And going on about it, how was the DF Ai again? I've never played it myself so it's only second hand info but I've heard some horrid stories on it :)

second, a quest compass, I could imagine many people finding it very helpfull. Similarly you pherhaps after trying. Could you imagine what could happen when both you and the npc could technically travel anywhere, in a world as large as Oblivion's? It might mean you could spend a month or more, just tracking down the person you need to find. And on the other hand I could imagine the concept, note the word concept there, going against your every nature. well if you dislike it, why not simply ignore it?

third, agreed, I'm a bit disappointed that we won't have mounted combat, but pherhaps the devs had a good point when they said it and dual weilding could be very unbalancing. I believe most rpg'ers are very much in favor of balancing things.

Soil erosion, well let's just leave it be as I don't really think that's something anyone could say something either for or against with passion, there are other things might be a lot more important :)

voices, Do you think it harms the game having celebrity voices? Yes then I would love to hear your reasoning behind it. I'm assuming it's better then "such voices get the mainstream gamers/mainstream general people interested, and might make Bethesda a lot more money which would be bad for them" ;)
And if you don't think it harms the game, as I do, then I wonder why you put it on your list. :)

Again can;t say I'm very thrilled about not being able to kill those npc's, but I do ask myself, would I ever even kill them if i could? ifnot then could it just be the principle involved there? And I often find nagging about a principle isn't a very dignified thing to do ^_^
And it's better then an auto reload device, that's for sure.

Staves shooting magic? I've heard the outcries of all those people that were disappointed about having staves that were not able to launch magic from a staff, I've stopped counting the number of times I saw such posts and now that people get this, they start complaining about how "it's all gone way too much into a FPS" Make up your mind will you ;)

Well being able to weild a weapon and casting a spell is something I'd consider to be quite an improvement. And some of the other things are equally promising. making your own spell effects with the CS, and all the things we haven't heard yet. It's not like we've heard every aspect of the combat or stealth systems either, just something to find out for ourselves I reckon.

and lastly as to the xbox achievement thingy, I have no idea yet how that's going to work with oblivion, have you heard something yet? I would be curious after it. And besides, this more even then the compass, is something you can easily ignore if you wish :)

My appologies for the lengthy post override, I hope it's size hasn't kept you from reading it fully :)

My point, to be short, is I truely believe people make too large a deal out of things. :)[/u]

Fresh

Erudite
Lumpy said:
In the other one, you have to find a painter, who apparently was trapped in his own painting, and you have to find him there. Not much, I know, but an improvement nonetheless.

A painter trapped in his own painting? Are you kidding me? This quest has been done over and over in various RPG-settings/systems - why would anyone brag about plagiarism? Couldn't they at least changed it to a potmaker who was trapped in his own pot? A strap-on-dildo-maker trapped in his own strap-on?

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Righty then. let's see here,
untried and untested system for npc's. Untried and untested by you yes. However the devs have spent quite some time, and are still spending quite some time developing it. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind it to be honest, I mean if something isn't tried and tested, how could it ever be tried. Or in other words, if no one is brave enough to try out something new, wouldn't that mean we'd be stuck with the same old things in every game published?

No. This metaphysical reasoning might work for your philosophy class, it's not going to work here, when the product being discussed is a sequel after a long line of RPGs. RPG's are not a new product. Oblivion is not treading on some new ground. Oblivion is designed from the ground up as a Role playing game, one in a long line of role playing games. As such, roleplaying gamers have come to expect certain qualities from these games, and as can be seen from past incarnations of the genre, certain elements WORK; others do not.

For example:

Weapon variety WORKS. Cutting out Crossbows or spears DOES NOTHING to improve gameplay, and no amount of "well, maybe you haven't tried it... it could be good" will logically convince longtime RPG fans that cutting out half the weapon variety is a step in the right direction.

Immersion WORKS. Having a magical compass leading you around all over the place detracts from the immersion, as can be seem from RPGs like Fable.

There are precedented cases for these "Feature cuts", people. Oblivion is not treading on NEW GROUND. It's repaving an old road.

And going on about it, how was the DF Ai again? I've never played it myself so it's only second hand info but I've heard some horrid stories on it :)

DF AI was fine; not perfect, but fine, considering when it was made.

second, a quest compass, I could imagine many people finding it very helpfull. Similarly you pherhaps after trying. Could you imagine what could happen when both you and the npc could technically travel anywhere, in a world as large as Oblivion's? It might mean you could spend a month or more, just tracking down the person you need to find. And on the other hand I could imagine the concept, note the word concept there, going against your every nature. well if you dislike it, why not simply ignore it?

I would have preferred an option to turn it off in game. Yes, I can simply post-it out, but I can't imagine having an option to turn it off in game would be too difficult to program. The Compass is the least of my complaints with the way Oblivion is turning out, however.

third, agreed, I'm a bit disappointed that we won't have mounted combat, but pherhaps the devs had a good point when they said it and dual weilding could be very unbalancing. I believe most rpg'ers are very much in favor of balancing things.

Without mounted combat, having mounts seem hollow and an imperfect feature, one that's excersized to only half its potential. I would have preferred no mounts AT ALL, but rather take that time to flesh out the CROSSBOW and the SPEAR.

voices, Do you think it harms the game having celebrity voices? Yes then I would love to hear your reasoning behind it. I'm assuming it's better then "such voices get the mainstream gamers/mainstream general people interested, and might make Bethesda a lot more money which would be bad for them" ;)
And if you don't think it harms the game, as I do, then I wonder why you put it on your list. :)

No, I don't think it harms the game, but tastes kinda sour as a gimmicky marketing scheme. Don't care for it either way, but I don't think having Pat Stewart voice the game is a neccessary element of gameplay.

Again can;t say I'm very thrilled about not being able to kill those npc's, but I do ask myself, would I ever even kill them if i could? ifnot then could it just be the principle involved there? And I often find nagging about a principle isn't a very dignified thing to do ^_^

The Elder Scrolls have traditionally been marketed as the kinds of games where you can do "anything, anytime, anywhere". Making NPC's unkillable seem to detract from that freedom.

Staves shooting magic? I've heard the outcries of all those people that were disappointed about having staves that were not able to launch magic from a staff, I've stopped counting the number of times I saw such posts and now that people get this, they start complaining about how "it's all gone way too much into a FPS" Make up your mind will you ;)

No. I'm disappointed you can't hit people with the staff. I could care less what it shoots.

Well being able to weild a weapon and casting a spell is something I'd consider to be quite an improvement. And some of the other things are equally promising. making your own spell effects with the CS, and all the things we haven't heard yet. It's not like we've heard every aspect of the combat or stealth systems either, just something to find out for ourselves I reckon.

Look, it's still too early to judge Oblivion as a finished product, and the final quality and appeal could very well swing either way, but from the piecemeal information the devs have divulged about the cutting of favored features (Levitation being the latest), it gets disheartening.

and lastly as to the xbox achievement thingy, I have no idea yet how that's going to work with oblivion, have you heard something yet? I would be curious after it. And besides, this more even then the compass, is something you can easily ignore if you wish :)

My appologies for the lengthy post override, I hope it's size hasn't kept you from reading it fully :)

My point, to be short, is I truely believe people make too large a deal out of things. :)[/u]

Hey look man, it's not like we have social lives. It's not like we have jobs. It's not like we got anything better to do. The Codex is THE place to hone and train your BITCHING skills, and you can't exactly get good training if you don't practice once in a while.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Alexander said:
You misunderstand my point. Not untried and untested as in never to be tried and tested but as in a completely unkown quantity. Of course new things should be included in a new game. But not at the expense of so many other features - especially when it is being feature-rich that has got your games noticed in the past.
The Devs say RAI is cool (which is what they say about every feature in Oblivion) but we have only their word for it - we haven't seen it, tried it, or tested it (hence "untried and untested"). It is, in other words, a completely unknown quantity as far as we are concerned. So, from an totally unkown quantity it is somehow morphed by fanboys into the greatest thing since sliceed bread. I have no idea how this revamped scheduling system is going to work and whether it is going to be brilliant or a complete load of crap - and neither do any of the people who are posting about how it rocks.

Alexander said:
That there are bugs in Daggerfall is well known - although the last patch does clear a majority of them up. All I can say is that, since I patched it last, I've had no real problems with it - certainly no "crashing to desktop"-style problems like I have with Morrowind.

Alexander said:
A couple of points off of this quote.
First, I'd hardly call 16 square miles, nine... sorry, eight "cities", a few scattered hamlets and 1500 NPCs "huge". Small certainly, bijou possibly - but huge?

The other point is that the compass is there whether you want it to be or not - right next to the parts of the UI that you need to keep an eye on if you're playing a warrior or mage. As to your comment - you could spend a month or more, just tracking down the person you need to find - that's just the usual fanboyish reaction to the wonderful RAI again. Think logically about it. 90% of the NPCs are only going to be moving around in a (very) small area - home, work, inn, home - not galivanting off across the map like a ferret in sugar-shock. How many guards or shopkeppers, guild-heads or commoners are going to go to the next town over for lunch? If the RAI has 1500 NPCs zipping across the map 24/7 then Bethesda have screwed it up big time.

Alexander said:
]third, agreed, I'm a bit disappointed that we won't have mounted combat, but pherhaps the devs had a good point when they said it and dual weilding could be very unbalancing. I believe most rpg'ers are very much in favor of balancing things.
And again with the balancing. It's a SINGLE PERSON RPG for god's sake. What does it matter if sword A or skill Z is slightly better than Sword B or skill Y? We all know that the majority of the people playing Oblivion are going to be going around wearing the leetest armour and carrying the bestest sword regardless of their role, class, or skill-set simply because that's how they've always played the game and - by jimmeny - they ain't about to change for some high falutin' RPG.

Alexander said:
]Soil erosion, well let's just leave it be as I don't really think that's something anyone could say something either for or against with passion, there are other things might be a lot more important :)
How about, instead, we call it what it really is? Smoke and mirrors that waste resources that should have been spent on adding something of more value to the game - like, perhaps, horses that can carry a burden other than the rider. Or carts, for fuck's sake.

Alexander said:
]voices, Do you think it harms the game having celebrity voices? Yes then I would love to hear your reasoning behind it. I'm assuming it's better then "such voices get the mainstream gamers/mainstream general people interested, and might make Bethesda a lot more money which would be bad for them" ;)
Because it's more smoke and mirrors - crap designed to make the great unwashed masses go "ooooo, that's freaking cool, gotta get me some of that it's got PATRICK STEWART!!!" The cash spent on them could have been spent on other things - like paying someone to develop a Nine Divines faction instead of completely misleading everyone about it.

Alexander said:
]Again can;t say I'm very thrilled about not being able to kill those npc's, but I do ask myself, would I ever even kill them if i could? ifnot then could it just be the principle involved there? And I often find nagging about a principle isn't a very dignified thing to do ^_^
And you know what would have been even better? Letting people face the consequences of fucking up. Perhaps that would teach the omi polari that boast about killing everyone in Vivec a lesson? See, like you - I don't go around killing everyone in the game unless the character I'm role-playing would have done.

Alexander said:
]Staves shooting magic? I've heard the outcries of all those people that were disappointed about having staves that were not able to launch magic from a staff, I've stopped counting the number of times I saw such posts and now that people get this, they start complaining about how "it's all gone way too much into a FPS" Make up your mind will you ;)
A staff that shoots fireballs (or whatever) and can be reloaded with an ammo-clip.... damn' I meant soul-stones - if that isn't catering to the FPS kill everything that moves and then kill it again just to be sure crowd I don't know what is.
As for staves that shoot out magic - there is a perfectly good word for that sort of thing. it's WAND. If they wanted to shoot fucking fdireballs a la Harry Potter why not add wands to the game and leave the melee staff alone?

Alexander said:
]Well being able to weild a weapon and casting a spell is something I'd consider to be quite an improvement. And some of the other things are equally prom[ising. making your own spell effects with the CS, and all the things we haven't heard yet. It's not like we've heard every aspect of the combat or stealth systems either, just something to find out for ourselves I reckon.
And something I consider to be a complete joke. Either you're concentrating on using the weapon or you're concentrating on using magic. Never whistle while you're pissing - you end up out of tune and with a wet leg. Besides, it's Bethesda's bad design that made it impossible to cast while carry a weapon in the first place. Unless the weapon was enchanted, of course. Then it was a piece of cake to do both.

Alexander said:
]and lastly as to the xbox achievement thingy, I have no idea yet how that's going to work with oblivion, have you heard something yet? I would be curious after it. And besides, this more even then the compass, is something you can easily ignore if you wish :)
Again smoke and mirrors, albeit forced on them by Microsoft. In other words, resources that could have, and should have, been spent elsewhere instead of providing all the console kiddies with bragging rights and a way to chat to their mate in Timbuktoo. It's also a waste of overhead since that's something that's got to be running in the background all the time, diverting runtime from other tasks.

Alexander said:
]My appologies for the lengthy post override, I hope it's size hasn't kept you from reading it fully :)
Unlike the people for whom Oblivion seems to be designed, I'm not afraid of reading something more than a paragraph long.

Alexander said:
My point, to be short, is I truely believe people make too large a deal out of things. :)
I agree with you completely - although probably not in the manner in which you'd expect

LlamaGod

Cipher
Oblivion is bad because it's an RPG without any roleplaying, THERE.

Also it caters to xbox fans and graphics whores, aka stupid people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom