Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Hell Swarm

Educated
Can you fuck off out of this thread and go to the politics subforum or wherever please, thanks.
No. I'm talking about games.
The only women in combat I'd accept is a farmers wife using a shotgun to defend her home. Nothing else is tolerated.
No. Terror on the Prairie is a shitty movie.
I don't care about movies. I'm sick of starting a game and finding my party's only melee character is a woman. Probably larping as a knight.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Witcher 3 has too much content. So many side quests that the momentum the story could have had is destroyed. Dwarf shouted for help for yet another quest, and what was I gonna do, ignore him and wonder what it was about? In that second playthrough years later I lost interest before leaving for Skellige.

El Presidente

Arcane
Witcher 3 has too much content. So many side quests that the momentum the story could have had is destroyed. Dwarf shouted for help for yet another quest, and what was I gonna do, ignore him and wonder what it was about? In that second playthrough years later I lost interest before leaving for Skellige.
I haven't played Witcher 3 but one thing I dislike a lot is games with pressing, urgent main quests ("we have no time! You must go immediately to X city and inform the king we're under attack!") that shower you with low stakes side quests at every turn. these two things don't fit well together at all, I don't larp in games but it inevitably makes me feel like a retarded mega-autist if I get an urgent, high importance mission and then proceed to lose myself in the world's side content for the next 30 hours.

This is the equivalent of Garrett stopping to swim in Lord Bafford's swimming pool, then bathing on his bathtub, dining on his table and sleeping on his bed, and then proceed to steal the scepter when he wakes up.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is the equivalent of Garrett stopping to swim in Lord Bafford's swimming pool, then bathing on his bathtub, dining on his table and sleeping on his bed, and then proceed to steal the scepter when he wakes up.
Garrett has balls the size of the Millennium Falcon. I could see it.

Lemming42

Arcane
The Witcher sucks in general, I just don't get it at all. Tried all three games and never get more than an hour in before thinking "this is depressingly shit" and bailing out. The writing seems awful too, the entire concept makes me laugh out loud. Oh I'm the best swordsman in the world and I have Sephiroth hair and special glowing demon eyes!!! Dumber than Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Wray, who might legitimately be a more complex character than Witcher Man.

It's up there with Mass Effect as something that surely became popular just because the medium of videogames is relatively young and there's not much better on offer for people who want that kind of thing. Sort of like how people in 1940 would be proclaiming The Thin Man series to be the best films ever, even though they're not that good and nobody a century later gives a fuck about them.

El Presidente

Arcane
Usually in such games what I prefer is to keep playing through these urgent main quests until their urgency drops and the game points you to something a little more cooled off, finally giving you a break to enjoy more menial quests, but I've seen more than a few games where, when the main questline finally gives you this opportunity, by then you're already some renowed hero figure and it doesn't make sense anymore for you to go kill the rats in the fat screaming lady's cellar. In other words, most of the game's side content is novice oriented and novice toned, but the main quest keeps giving you urgency until you're Lord Buttkicker, savior of the world. This annoys me a lot.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The writing seems awful too, the entire concept makes me laugh out loud. Oh I'm the best swordsman in the world and I have Sephiroth hair and special glowing demon eyes!!! Dumber than Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Wray, who might legitimately be a more complex character than Witcher Man.
Should have been "Oh, I am an albino with flowing white hair and certain non-human features, am an exceptional swordsman and also employ magical abilities, have a special sword, make use of alchemy, am a womanizer, and am nicknamed the White Wolf". :M

3682001751_ecdf12517e_b.jpg

Hell Swarm

Educated
Should have been "Oh, I am an albino with flowing white hair and certain non-human features, am an exceptional swordsman and also employ magical abilities, have a special sword, make use of alchemy, am a womanizer, and am nicknamed the White Wolf". :M
Looks like David Bowie. A sure sign the artist was a fag.

Hobknobling

Learned
The writing seems awful too, the entire concept makes me laugh out loud. Oh I'm the best swordsman in the world and I have Sephiroth hair and special glowing demon eyes!!! Dumber than Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Wray, who might legitimately be a more complex character than Witcher Man.

1200px-Sammon_puolustus.jpg

This character trope comes from Kalevala though many authors were probably more influenced by Gandalf who is based on Väinämöinen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Väinämöinen

All the following games are pieces of shit..
  1. Planescape Torment
  2. Resident Evil 4 & 7
  3. The Witcher series
  4. Doom 2016
  5. Quake 2
  6. Darkwood
  7. Diablo IV
  8. Skyrim
  9. Fallout 4
  10. Grim Dawn
  11. Metro Exodus
  12. Disco Elysium

Lemming42

Arcane
Probably said this before but I hate the idea of vaults from Fallout being experiments. It's far more interesting if Vault-Tec is a legit company and when/if vaults do go wrong, they do so because the people inside them managed to fuck them up on their own. The idea of them all being cartoon deathtrap experiments is the single worst idea Fallout 2 introduced, which is really saying something.

Ash

Arcane
Eh, the experiments angle is far more interesting. People's own fuckups would be far too predictable and far too boring. It'd be the usual downfall from greed, ego, classism, someone fucked someone else's girl, someone left the oven on and everyone suffocated, typical retarded boring human shit. You want them to be a soap opera drama. I want them to be conspiratorial speculative sci-fi horror shows. It's total :obviously: ...as long as it remains fiction, it is fun to think about.
It also has the excellent effect of turning vaults in to immersive horror game segments with very sinister backdrop, something video games can do quite well.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Probably said this before but I hate the idea of vaults from Fallout being experiments. It's far more interesting if Vault-Tec is a legit company and when/if vaults do go wrong, they do so because the people inside them managed to fuck them up on their own. The idea of them all being cartoon deathtrap experiments is the single worst idea Fallout 2 introduced, which is really saying something.
Vault 69.
Quite the experiment, yes?

Hell Swarm

Educated
A middle ground would be better. 1 in every 20 are experimental and the others are standard bunkers. It would make the experiments interesting to discover and rewarding in the lore. If everyone is special no one is special, so have special vaults be rewards for exploration and lore reading.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It's up there with Mass Effect as something that surely became popular just because the medium of videogames is relatively young and there's not much better on offer for people who want that kind of thing. Sort of like how people in 1940 would be proclaiming The Thin Man series to be the best films ever, even though they're not that good and nobody a century later gives a fuck about them.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Witcher and Mass Effect, to my knowledge, had success partially down to the developers making it so your choices mattered in later games, even if this was more illusionary than not. Games taking advantage of something unique in the video game medium. Something experimental in theory. The Thin Man, meanwhile, doesn't really do anything that takes advantage of being a film, you could make it a play without much change. It's appeal lies in the dynamic between the two leads. The Thin Man is probably something more like Sam & Max whereas those would be more akin to some forgotten German Expressionism film.

Hell Swarm

Educated
They were popular because they were at the right time for the cultural zeitgeist and had large marketing budgets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom