Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW is a failure

Nightjed

Liturgist
does that mean you used the "It's like Asheron's Call 2 all over again." without really knowing what you were talking about ? :P

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Asheron's Call 2 is exactly like The Field of Dreams, except... everyone left after the first ballgame.

Stark

Liturgist
it'll probably piss off some here but I sincerely hope WoW flops. if even Blizzard fails hopefully people will finally stop making all these MMORPG (which I don't play), and try making some single player pc game again (which i play).

xemous

Arcane
yeh then zerg can just drop 24 speedling in your base while you in middle and break your eco
they can also plague your zealots/goons, and then finish up with hydra, can broodling your tech units with queens, and use lurkers in your minerals line, can harrass with muta, can over power you with guards, can use devourer + scourge + muta to fend of sairs,
late game zerg can get a shit load of units and turtle your eco till you got nothing left

terran could emp, ghost, and tank push the middile with vulture mine, cliff drops, take islands, goliath to fend carriers

the dark templar are easy to kill once scouted and can fuck up a bo if the other player scouts properly, there easy to counter late game
even late game, do you realise how much gas those high tech units take? and stealing units isnt helpfull late game unless you suprise a group of 12 bs,

tis balanced my friend, late game early game
nvm that weakest race statement, its such a tiny imbalance skill and map overshadow it

if your still not convinced. uswest :P , nvm skill lvl
sorry for offtopic, tis a blizzard game after all :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
As much as I'd like for WOW to be a good game (which it wont be, from the looks of it now), I sincerely hope that it flops. I'm tired of EQ-based MMORPGs and really wish publishers would stop pumping out garbage akin to it and try something with innovation and originality should they decide to pursue the development of more MMORPGs.

A new payment system (e.g. one like Guild Wars) would be a lot better than the monthly payment scheme, too. They should cater more to casual gamers and a LOT less to hardcore addicts.

I've hoped (and expected) since WoW was annouced that it would bomb really fucking hard. A smile bursts out on my face whenever I envision the hordes of BNet inbreds totally hating the game and suddenly feeling conflicted inside as they realize Blizzard has fucked up. It's the same kind of joy I feel when I see a little kid's face after she gets the crap slapped out of her by her mother or father--the confusion, the betrayal, the infinite pain of The Perfect One fucking you over out of greedy impatience.

Don't get me wrong. WoW will probably make a shitload of money because it has the word "WARCRAFT" in its name. As a game, however, it will be utterly atrocious--likely worse than even the Verant-run, pre-SOE Everquest. And it will be the end of Blizzard as a respected, "perfect" devhouse.

Franz

Novice
Hey rex, are you sure that Blizzard is not still testing various modes of gameplay, with the intention of finding a balance between catering to the EQ crowd and pandering to the casual masses? I'm pretty sure Blizzard is going to do everything they can to make this game appeal to the largest audience possible, and they've said they want to make this MMORPG more accessible to casual players than other MMORPG's.

Seeing as how it's still about 3 months from the projected release date, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over balance problems right now.

Jedi359

Liturgist
I don't know...

The big boys may have left, but I still add six months to a year to any Blizzard release date given to me. I still remember the days when Diablo 2 was going to be the hottest RPG of 98'.

Of course, Blizzard seems to be doing the same thing to Starcraft: Ghost. Only time will tell, I guess.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Blizzard doesn't have their own clout, and VU knows it. That's the only reason VU's president is pushing for a November release. I wouldn't add 6 months to the development cycle considering that VU owns the place and wants to make a killing with Holiday sales.

The falling out with the ArenaNet and Flagship people was about VU taking over the company and leaving them zero wiggle room. Decisions were being made by the high ups at VU and the developers were expected to go along with whatever plans that marketing had already set into motion.

TheGlow

Novice
undead dolphin hacker said:
It's the same kind of joy I feel when I see a little kid's face after she gets the crap slapped out of her by her mother or father--the confusion, the betrayal, the infinite pain of The Perfect One fucking you over out of greedy impatience..

That's fucking classic! :D

How man people left blizzard in the last few years anyway? They seem like a completely different company lately. For instance Ghost is looking like more of a tps now than an assination/infiiltration type game.

Reklar

Liturgist
undead dolphin hacker said:
I've hoped (and expected) since WoW was annouced that it would bomb really fucking hard. A smile bursts out on my face whenever I envision the hordes of BNet inbreds totally hating the game and suddenly feeling conflicted inside as they realize Blizzard has fucked up. It's the same kind of joy I feel when I see a little kid's face after she gets the crap slapped out of her by her mother or father--the confusion, the betrayal, the infinite pain of The Perfect One fucking you over out of greedy impatience.

Don't get me wrong. WoW will probably make a shitload of money because it has the word "WARCRAFT" in its name. As a game, however, it will be utterly atrocious--likely worse than even the Verant-run, pre-SOE Everquest. And it will be the end of Blizzard as a respected, "perfect" devhouse.

Don't worry, there will always be die-hard Blizzard hacks who will forever be in denial over the fall of their personal deity devhouse. I, for one, will be glad to see them take a fall. I'm so sick of Blizzard fanboys and their leetspeak.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Jedi359

Liturgist
Every Blizzard game that I've played, I've enjoyed to a great extent, even the oldies like The Lost Vikings. I hope they regain their lost glory. Hoping the company fails because it has a lot of obnoxious fans is crazy. You can't blame Blizzard if some of it's players take things too far.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Jedi359 said:
You can't blame Blizzard if some of it's players take things too far.
Have you ever played in battle.net ? its the international synonym of "hell-hole", the community goes beyond anything you could imagine... Doom3 WISHES it could provoke as much HORROR as bnet does...
I do blame blizzard for the fanboys, they created them with their marketing tactics and game designs, encorauging rushing/reflexes/micromanaging/automation over strategy/design/planning/creativeness and the whole everyone for himself over coop feeling that diablo2 has.

Jedi359

Liturgist
:roll:

Of course. All game developers should consider what players will do online when they develop their games.

You're essentially blaming the gameplay style for the behavior of idiots.

Nightjed

Liturgist
if they had at least offered options for players with brains there would be a part of the community worth playing with.

Jedi359

Liturgist
That's the type of game it is. Deal with it, or don't play. Blizzard didn't create the game so it would build up a fanbase of obnoxious players. It's just the type of game they created.

dagamer667

Liturgist
I always disliked Bliz for their obnoxios post-release patching. Just look at D2 and all the awful changes they made to it when people with the best dupes out there started to cry that the game isn't challenging enough. Of course, that made the game unplayable for those who scavenged/bought their items (50% physcal res and -100 all res is hard enough to cover with good items, much less "n00b junk"). Nerfing is another nasty habit that Bliz has. This is the reason I don't even care about MMO games anymore. ALmost of all of them are "balanced" for people who play over 8 hours a day and who will spend 100s of dollars on e-bay for better gear.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Astromarine said:
the Spirit problem has been acknowledged as a bug and will be fixed

It doesn't matter if they fix the Spirit problem or the HP problem with certain classes. What matters is that they made the game 3 times as hard and really fucking tedious. That won't be fixed with a simple spirit tweak. Game's still gonna be boring as shit since you can't fight more than one monster at a time anymore.

As Dagamer mentioned, Blizzard seems adamant to rebalance the game in favor of powergamers and uberguilds (hah), caring very little about how much that disrupts the flavor to casual gamers. Before the current patch, you could fight a multitude of monsters, some at the same time, and come out clean. The downtime wouldn't take long at all, either - roughly 15-20 seconds. It was always at a fast, interesting pace. Now, hell no - you can't do that. Kill one monster and you'll have a two minute downtime just to wait for your mana to regenerate.

Guh.

Astromarine

Erudite
from the FAQ: Once the stress test is over, will I be able to play in the beta?
This sign-up is only for the 7-day stress test. The beta test is completely separate and is taking place on different servers from the ones on which the stress test will be conducted. However, later in the year, Blizzard will hold an open beta test for World of Warcraft, and anyone with an Internet connection is invited to participate. Please do not contact anyone at Blizzard about the open beta test. Blizzard will post an announcement on their Web site when the open beta is ready to go live, so please check there periodically for more information. "

Astromarine

Erudite
You basically are just blowing suspitions out your ass, aren't you? I read the same forums you do, and fail to see all this malitious intent that you see.

if you are so dead set on believing the absolute worst of them, then mind sending your beta key to an address I will specify?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom