Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is it about BioWare...

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
He would later make Age of Decadence and Colony Ship. What a legend.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Because it's TB?
Fallout has timer and adventure game/world navigation element to it, but difficulty wise I'd rate it lower than both of those games. D1 I replayed not super long ago and as warrior, going furthest where demon girls begin to spam all the bloodstars out of your view range is quite hardcore. No wonder people prefer rogue or wiz.
BG has system not less lethal than Fallout (AD&D), party management, spells, hard counters, etc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So yours "hardcore" means "good RPG"?

These things make Fallout a more well rounded RPG (a more of a storyfag one?), but a bunch of arbitrary skill checks don't necessarily make a game "hardcore".

Shadenuat

Arcane
What decade exactly? P sure the better ie games, wizardry 8, ss2, Gothic and JA2 came after Fallouts.

Good stuff always comes out rarely, but steadely and often unappreciated.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There's nothing hardcore about BG. Go back and play it without SCS again to remember.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Because it was a role-playing game with multiple quest solutions, dialogues that served a purpose, stat- and skill-checks, etc. Unlike BG.
This is also why Dragon Age is better than BG.
I am surrounded by storyfags. :shittydog:

There's nothing hardcore about BG. Go back and play it without SCS again to remember.
I played it vanilla without even any graphical mods fairly recently. it's you who need to play it, without playing it with scs, and without any memories, and 20 years of rpg experience, to make any statements on its difficulty. but at this point you can't.

fallout era classics are not mega hardcore. that belongs to something of wiz7 and earlier eras when games were made by some random nerds.

and even modern takes/plagiarism on classics are more difficult than the actual classics atm. because people got over old challenges, and developers had to come up with new ones. (like for example ever rising souls series level of difficulty)

get over your hardcore masturbation and just enjoy/make good games.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Because it's TB?
Because it was a role-playing game with multiple quest solutions, dialogues that served a purpose, stat- and skill-checks, etc. Unlike BG.
This doesn't seem like a reasonable definition of "hard core." Fallout was (and remains) one of the most approachable RPGs out there. Stats are pretty easy to understand, game isn't too hard, tons of stuff is put in just for "fun" reasons, and while there may be trickier systems under the hood, you don't really need to understand them to do just fine.

I mean, I don't really know what "hardcore" means, but I always took it to mean "less approachable." For me, AD&D's rules are so weird and unapproachable, and BG is so incredibly dorky, that it's less approachable than FO. I eventually came back to BG2 after playing FO and FO2, but it too felt less approachable than FO because of the complexity of the spell system. Ultimately, FO is just like a munchkin point-and-kill fantasy. The game doesn't demand that you minmax, prebuff, etc. Just get power armor and a super sledge hammer and smash!

That said, I think FO is a way better RPG than BG, and everything you listed is a reason why it's better. (So is TB combat.)

Shitposter
lol i was 2 years old when this thread was created
ogWPr6i_d.webp

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

I know that i would get flamed for this, but BG was not a good game. Not bad either, just not good.
At least games like Pathfinder have some decisions that matter, some checks, BG had so few choices that mattered.

It was popular because it was DnD and because good PR and good graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom