Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Zlaja

Arcane
Playing Stalker: Clear Sky and I just finished the old factory part with all the zombies. Good atmosphere (was there at night) and trying to get out of there on my own after everyone else died was a real hoot. Especially, since I was trying to nab all the loot stashes in there while exiting. Missed one in some safe, because I just couldn't get to it. The Psy anomaly there was draining my health too fast despite having the SEVA suit on and spamming the health kit button like a chimp on meth. Seeing double while inside the building didn't exactly help, either.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Can't stop playing Doom lately now that i got a bit of free time.
I might have complained about how Heartland is too exhausting and slaughtery but after completing it Doom the Way id Did combined with Delta Doom mod feels way too easy. Not the type who craves nonstop ballbusting challenge but if the game is a cakewalk and doesn't have eyecandy or something else to compensate for it i loose my interest too. Will put it on hold for now.

Japanese Community Project still continues to amaze me with it's creativity. I especially like maps made by Nanka Kurashiki.
Kinda tired of the vanilla Doom gameplay so Final Doomer+ mod was a great help in keeping things fresh even if it's a bit overpowered. Like, your Katana that replaces your fist can deflect revenant missiles and your chaingun replacer slows down enemies(your bullet capacity is halved to balance things out). Nothing really crazy that would turn the game super easy provided you don't abuse certain weapons which is fine by me. Shame that the fullscreen HUD mod is not compatible with it.
Also started using Nashgore mod with this megawad. Makes the piles of dead demons look better and i like the new gibbing sound.

Considering the length of JPCP i also played a few other shorter WADs and gameplay mods in order to avoid the burnout.
Already mentioned Lullaby, Waterlab and Slime on Earth in the screenshot thread but i also finally gave a spin to Project Brutality.
gzdoomHSsyU1bIZj.png

Playing using the Final Carnage level pack that claims to be inspired by Half-Life and stuff. It's nice when a gameplay mod has WAD designed specifically for it, most of them don't have those and i am always worried if the particular mod will ruin the experience or whatnot.
Can also see why this and Brutal Doom are so popular. Going full RIP and TEAR does feel oddly relaxing.
Never played Doom Eternal or Doom 2016 by the way.

Gostak

Educated
Still the awesome Unexplored (1).
I had another ascension with the amulet by now and unlocked the barbarian (still missing the cleric and musketeer for the non DLC runs, the latter I nearly got bit was too cocky there for no good reason and messed with the wrong boss shooting for a firearm killblow apparently ...).
A new Linux build has been uploaded which allows me to play desolate runs with a bug-fixed version if I'd like to, but shorter challenging daily "make-shift" ones are what I'm enjoying currently.

Had a half-assed attempt at a Mithril/"Moryondor" run as well in between. Quite thematic.

I'm kinda hyped for the Dark Ritual DLC runs which I never tried one of, though.

I'll leave you with these now:

cpmartins

Cipher
Should I even bother with Nukaworld or Far Harbor?
Didn't do Nukaworld but Far Harbor is unique. Stronger exploration and characters than anything in the base game imo. It's not super long I think, just talk to Dima and see for yourself if you want to continue.
Same horridly shit writing and plot from the main game. Emil cannot fucking write.

Borelli

Arcane
Space Funeral a free RPG Maker 1-hour game that goes for purposefully bad/weird graphics and weird dialogue and nonsensical story.
These types of games are hit or miss for me, because no one can know beforehand if they would enjoy watching another man's stream of consciousness
but for some reason i got into this, every single line of dialogue is absurd, and the music is so good. Like, you will spend at most 15 seconds driving a boat in this game, but the
soundtrack for it is 4 minutes long, only a crazy person could put something like this in a game.
Underrated gem of a game. I replayed it a couple of months ago and it was really fun.

If you're interested in strange atmospheric games, I wholeheartedly recommend Off. You can read my quick review here.
Started playing it yesterday, like it for the same reasons you wrote in your review, length makes it feel more like a complete game even though random encounters are the main culprit, why do post Chrono Trigger jrpgs keep doing this?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Returning to Fallout 3 after...about 16 years I guess? I wanted to see how it holds up today.
It...kind of does? The game play is pretty clunky, especially compared to 4, but I prefer its more muted color pallet to 4's (although it does give me a weird optical illusion where everything has a purple tinge after closing the game), you have actual dialogue options and the world is a little more interesting.
The writing is still pretty bad though. Better than 4's but that's not saying much.
Especially the whole Megaton bomb quest and bloody Victoria Watts, who actually interrupted the Bomb detonation cutscene. At Tenpenny Tower. You know, the place where people like her wouldn't be allowed in. What's funny is that I guess the devs knew how bloody obnoxious she is and you don't get a karma penalty for whacking the sanctimonious twat.
Apparently it's Emilio was a head writer, so I guess it checks out?

It's also really easy? Like, early game you can still use guns and melee weapons somewhat effectively, even with crap stats. I'm running a strength 4 nerd who specializes in energy weapons and I can still beat things to death with a sledgehammer pretty effectively. Character builds don't seem to matter that much, so I guess Fallout 4's absolute lack of it is just a natural course of evolution for Bethesda.

Overall it's fine. Still would play it over 4 and definitely over 76.

I should try it with Tale of Two Wastelands. Apparently its FNV's gameplay with Fallout 3's world, which is great because FNV does have slightly better gameplay to F03's and actual resource management.

Last edited:

niknikaia

Novice
Is it possible to play The Black Parade without an OLED monitor :roll:, i can't see shit most of the time...

Also I'm thinking to continue the Hordes of the Underdark and after finishing it try the other popular modules.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having beaten original Shin Megami Tensei V on Switch, in preparation for the Vengeance version, I can say that I feel some people were a bit harsh on it. Was there some repetition? Yes. Did I like the game? Yes. I don't mind the game not putting heavy focus on story, either.

Now, I am putting in the hours in Xenoblade Chronicles DE, since I have the Swtich hooked up and ready. What can I say about it? "What a bunch of jokers!"

This year is stacked with stuff that I want to play.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (Suikoden spiritual successor) in April
SKALD in May
Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance in June

Still haven't beaten Unicorn Overlord or Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth.

jackofshadows

Magister
Finished Fallout: Sonora. Ehhh. What a mess, didn't like it overall even though liked some parts, as the whole "DLC" (Necropolis plus, basically) is pretty decent. But man, was it developed by storyfags, dunno about a better description. No final dungeon in any form (faction ones hardly counts), random encounters are so dull (it seems as 70% are damned scorps) but sooo frequent as if you're suppose to tag survival. The focus is on factions and quests. While some of them are decent even, they're drown in a sea of very pointless and boring ones. Less is more is not about this game. These guys in general aren't aware about moderation concept and cutting off shit content. Oh and the new weapons suck and there aren't many of them overall anyway.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Das it for HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED.

Final thoughts:

- Game is just as COOL as it was 20 years ago.
- The Library is just as FUCKING SHIT as it was 20 years ago.
- The final warthog ride through the exploding Pillar of Autumn in the middle of a three-way FFA between bots, Covenant and Flood remains one of the top-tier kino moments in gaming.

now the question is if i should proceed to halo 2 which i never played

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What exactly is great about HALO?
Surprisingly high difficulty, lots of fun enemy infighting, great visuals and overall production values, some really great fights/setpieces, vehicles that don't feel tacked on, punching alien scum square in the face, very solid story and storytelling for a shooter as well as atmosphere.

Plenty of good things to be had in the game as long as you take your head out of your ass.

Gandalf

Arbiter

Final thoughts:

- The final warthog ride through the exploding Pillar of Autumn in the middle of a three-way FFA between bots, Covenant and Flood remains one of the top-tier kino moments in gaming.

I remember playing Halo 2, but it wasn't as cool as the first one.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Final thoughts:

Play the full trilogy then ODST and Reach if you want more.
If you play Halo 2 on any acceptable difficulty there is a trial of fire in there that all FPS players should go through at least once.

If you play Halo 2 on any acceptable difficulty there is a trial of fire in there that all FPS players should go through at least once.
All I remember from Halo 2 is the fucking snipers.
They're straight unfair on Legendary. Even with the scrab gun they're a fucking annoyance. Still worth playing through on Heroic though.

I'm saddened no one wants to talk about Monster hunter stories.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
System Shock 2: Decided to replay this one as a PSI user. It has been quite a few years since my last play through which was a Navy Technician. While the major beats of the game were still embedded into my memory time and a new play style lead me to some new experiences. Going through most of the game as a wrench swinging, self buffing glass cannon was a nice change of pace from the cakewalk provided through the Naval route. With that said the game still falls apart once you reach The Body of The Many and the last section with Shodan was still a disappointment. Next time I feel like playing System Shock 2 as a PSI user I will try on the Impossible difficulty just to see if I can stretch out the initial challenge even further.

Shadowrun Returns: Deadman's Switch: I bought this game when it was brand new but never finished it until a few a days ago. The Deadman's Switch campaign itself was nothing spectacular. It is your typical plot of a local threat evolving into a potential global catastrophe which can only be stopped by the player's intervention. Combat is your standard middle of the road turn based system. All actions cost action points and there is a rudimentary cover system. Encounters are nothing noteworthy until the end where they started to become more creative. With that said I still had fun with the game and decided to buy Dragonfall and Hong Kong since I heard those improved on the underlying base system. Overall :3/5:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
System Shock 2: Decided to replay this one as a PSI user. It has been quite a few years since my last play through which was a Navy Technician. While the major beats of the game were still embedded into my memory time and a new play style lead me to some new experiences. Going through most of the game as a wrench swinging, self buffing glass cannon was a nice change of pace from the cakewalk provided through the Naval route. With that said the game still falls apart once you reach The Body of The Many and the last section with Shodan was still a disappointment. Next time I feel like playing System Shock 2 as a PSI user I will try on the Impossible difficulty just to see if I can stretch out the initial challenge even further.

Shadowrun Returns: Deadman's Switch: I bought this game when it was brand new but never finished it until a few a days ago. The Deadman's Switch campaign itself was nothing spectacular. It is your typical plot of a local threat evolving into a potential global catastrophe which can only be stopped by the player's intervention. Combat is your standard middle of the road turn based system. All actions cost action points and there is a rudimentary cover system. Encounters are nothing noteworthy until the end where they started to become more creative. With that said I still had fun with the game and decided to buy Dragonfall and Hong Kong since I heard those improved on the underlying base system. Overall :3/5:
Psi build can be crazy powerful.
So many different "spells" to choose from.

BruceVC

Magister
I completed Hogwarts after 80 hours and its a good game and scores an easy 71/100 on the globally followed " BruceVC game rating system "

I provided detailed feedback on the official Hogwarts thread so I wil just summarize whats good about the game and whats lacking

Firstly the developers did an excellent at creating the Hogwarts world with all its magical paraphernalia, lore, secrets and characters so anyone who loves Harry Potter will appreciate this game

There are lots of fun activities and puzzles to solve and you get incentivized to explore and find crafting materials because buying potions is expensive so its better to craft. Crafting is done well and so is breeding beasts for their ingredients

The companion side quests are interesting like the Sebastian quest and his endeavors to save his sister

Combat is fun but its limited in how stategic you need to be, you can only have 4 spells open at a time and its quite possible to defeat every enemy with only 4 spells even though you can swop to other spell bars on the HUD I found I didnt need to most of the time

But the main negative for me was the repetition of enemy types. You fight the same enemies more or less throughout the game which includes human wizards, goblins, wolfs and spiders and sometimes the odd troll

And because you use the same spell strategy to defeat them it can become boring and repetitive

But overall good game and worth playing if you want a light-hearted but engaging fantasy world to adventure in and explore. But sadly no chainmail bikini armour :M

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Completing Fallout 3's main quest made me realize why people hate Emilio. It is a really poorly written and designed questline for a RPG. You are railroaded down a certain path and if you try to veer from what the writer wants you to do you get punished with objectively inferior outcomes that makes no narrative sense other than you being a bad person.
There are literally just 2 outcomes in the end; poison purity or not. If you poison purity nothing happens except you die if you drink too much water and there's some dialogue and sick NPCs. If you don't poison it nothing happens except you don't die and there's no sick NPCs. That is lame.
Sacrificing barely counts as an outcome because if you pick literally anyone but yourself you get literally nothing. If you do pick yourself you get stupid amounts of karma, to the point that it actually offsets the so called "genocide" option.

Honestly, the best part about Fallout 3 is the Capital Wasteland, which I think is a superior game world to the Mojave, just because it is it so much bigger and not as safe.
Everything else is pretty mediocre.

Also Operation Anchorage is a waste of a DLC that screws up the game's already poor balance by giving you an early, indestructible suit of power armour. The only thing that makes it worth while is the gauss rifle.

Apparently there's a mod called Lone Wanderer Edition that's supposed to fix a bunch of the gameplay issues, but I don't see how its going to salvage the quest chain unless it removes the shitty find your dad plot line, tranquility lane and gives you the option to actually help the Enclave for the true evil bastard experience.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom