Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I squeezed sideways between a fence and equipment to get to a product and thought of Tomb Raider. I would assign backwards and sideways movement to L1 in such a game, so that it could also be used for shooting without auto-aim. But all games automate moving between tight spaces now. A few days ago I watched one of the ops/tech guys climb a ladder with a rope and then pull a bag with tools up with it. Action-adventure is the best genre in my opinion, but its potential is largely unrealized.

Krivol

Magister
It's literally Fallout. LITERALLY. What's the fucking point? Not even ATOM level here, they just reskin shit.
True, Garage City is a lot like Junktown and Flagpool is a lot like a Den but... rest is more on its legs (well Phoenix... but it's supposed to be like this), there are supply chains and nuances, and the game is much less like "there is only a good way and wrong way" type of game (like F1/F2, where you could be good and get more, or be bad and fuck everything up and usually get less exp).

Also, after finishing F1 and F2 I always wanted more of the same-ish.

I wasn't able to beat the slavers on hard at this point
You are not supposed to; what kind of armour do you have? Lether? You can try locking doors (to separate enemies) and aiming for eyes, but it would be a chore.

jackofshadows

Magister
You are not supposed to; what kind of armour do you have? Lether? You can try locking doors (to separate enemies) and aiming for eyes, but it would be a chore.
Nah that seems like a viable way to solve it, even the dialogue suggest it, I just wasn't prepared enough. Locking doors wouldn't work I think, I haven't tagged lockpick but I'll try later just in case.

axx

Savant
3rd time playing Black mesa, first try with Xen.
Trying to finish the game, but it won't let me. Fought and defeated the 4 brain aliens in what seemed like the final battle but NOPE, MORE CONTENT. By this point it seems like AI is generating this stuff and is trolling with me.
Xen was ok and was beautiful (except that huge sack crab crap at the end). But they overdid it with Interloper.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
+1
Xen is good, it's just way too much holistically and relative to the totality of Black Mesa. I'm not really 100% on BM since I think it makes HL1 too HL2-y and after playing it once I've never really felt as if I had to play it again, just like HL2. I still play through bits and bobs of HL1 for the fuck of it when drunk, can't say I've ever felt that need for BM.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
My Doom backlog is not going to be cleared any time soon.
gzdoomeN0NSQlOvY.png

Still having fun with Delta Doom and finding new cool things about it. My favourite is probably the way machine gun replaces your chaingun while chaingun itself was upgraded into being a "super machine gun".

gzdoomd7FI5oHqtE.png

I am really liking Combine_Kegan gameplay mods. Fun gimmicks like how one of the characters wields a single transformable gun that if overheats transforms into a flamethrower or how the other character must press fire and alfire with a certain rythm for best effect.
Not a fan of the Alfonzone WAD i chose to test them out however. There is some cool maps and all of them look pretty but i really dislike the "teleport a horde of hitscanners behind player each time he goes forward a bit" approach to map design. Will put this WAD on hold for now.

gzdoome1z38qpbIM.png

Japanese Community Project quality is a bit uneven compared to something like Ancient Aliens.
The maps that are great are really great though like the one above^. Extra bonus point for having a spooky toilet segment.

eternityRL1Seh1qgm.png

Took Heartland for a little spin, heard that it's from the same creator as Ancient Aliens and only 7 maps long. So far i am struggling a bit on UV but it's fun.
This one requires a different sourceport that can do some things that are impossible in GZDoom.

Fargus

Arcane
Playing Jagged Alliance 1.13, newest build. Super fun, crash free, neat features but at times feels like the mod is bloated with them. Luckly ini is highly customizable. Playing on expert and meatwaves are sometimes exhausting, 40+ zerg rush attacks are a norm and lots of savescumming is involved unfortunately, either that or i would go mad lol. I took liberty making two IMP mercs instead of one as i usually do, because i needed a capable sniper for the team and had little money. I armed her with starter calico rifle that goes with 4x scope. One of the undeniably great features allows you to pick some of the starting gear for mercs. The other imp merc is a machinegunner, extremely deadly even with shitty weapon. As for other mercs i only had enough shekels to hire Trevor for 4 days and take Ira, beause free medic bitch. We took Drassen and after a weeks of training militia, losing militia, training it again all while the enemies attacked in droves and Enrico was spamming my mail box, i had enough shekels to continue my expansion and pay for Trevor's services. We took Chitzena and grabbed Manuel (a character from Unfinished Business expansion apparently, but i don't remember him there) to the party for free and and defeated a large counter-attacking force going on suicidal attacks to capture a shithole town with half dry mine and few mud huts. Good thing, for Deidranna, she's got infinite amount of soldiers to waste.

I'm not used to ordering militia in JA2 so i just have them as a distraction because they are not good for anything else, their AI is pretty braindead, just jerking off and waiting to be shot, while half of them spreading out attacking elite soldiers with pistols... or i'm doing something wrong, either way they can't shoot for shit but get splattered sometimes 2-3 people in a single turn by army with better rifles. Sometimes they just stand on spot in large groups getting suppressed and eating enemy grenades. Funny shit.

Trevor also can use radio to issue orders, but shit is very heavy to carry around.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Still playing Temple of Elemental Evil and finished the Hextorite Invasion of Hommlet quest added by the Co8 new content mod.
LOTS of fights here, it seems the modders knew well enough that Toee is all about great tactical combat.
Watch out for Assassins and some Hextor Clerics and Hextor Elemental Mages (both the clerics and mages cast mostly fire based spells, but they can do some damage if you fail your Reflex save or don't have Protection from Fire).
There's only a few quests added by the Co8 mod left.
Toee could've benefitted greatly from some more content. Games like Arcanum have loads more content by comparison.
Even so, Toee remains one of the greatest combat based tactical cRPGs out there.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
eternityghoJFD7357.png

Not really liking these two last levels of Heartland if i am being honest.

Edit: Just finished it
eternityf91MBiqppC.png

This WAD/partial conversion is a bit too overly long and slaughtery for my tastes. Liked Ancient Aliens a lot more.
Did enjoy a few moments like how the final level starts you only with a fire axe and berserk pack inside the arena.
eternityRFsBIUyaWU.png

That was pretty cool^. Also some good music here.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Playing more of Sonora, reached the BoS and took their initial quest. Honestly, I don't like this game so far at all. It's just a massive rehash of F1/2/NV ideas/assets/everything. Just more of the same, but fucking literally the same. I will finish and see maybe there's something interesting to see yet though.

At the same time, combat wise there're some weird-ass as modders love to do, little changes here, here and here. Like making combat shotgun belong to heavy weapon skill. Or for some fucked up reason if you maim say radscorp and finish the combat, re-enter and finally kill him you'll get considerably less xp than if you'd kill it normally apparently because he was maimed, I need to test more but it looks this way. Then there're quite weird thc round or even weapon themselves modifiers so thc differs so much even within the same skill. Also, how do you like the perk which allows you to.... continue the game after the end? A real WTF moment; only the very hopeless, worst kind of modders could come up with shit like this.

Then there're I'd call them "gameplay improvements, look!" like tons of little potential digging holes for you to excavate and get a tiny amount of loot. Or some SCIENCE workbenches or whatever, just for those who picked that skill. Or their attempt to make traps skill more viable. Coupled with their decision to make steal/lockpicking as checks (which I very much approve of by itself) it all feels very gamey.

Also I don't like the pseudo-linear hand-hold location order they came up with. Why don't you go with the caravan master but first we stop here (so you could do quests there and move on) and so on and so on. Jesus. Olympus had way more appealing to me open design where you start literally at the center of the map and go wherever you please.

And then we have grey morality choices, faction related mostly. Not sure about them either, they don't seem to belong the F1-2 tone with its two-dimentional karma system.

Borelli

Arcane
Space Funeral a free RPG Maker 1-hour game that goes for purposefully bad/weird graphics and weird dialogue and nonsensical story.
These types of games are hit or miss for me, because no one can know beforehand if they would enjoy watching another man's stream of consciousness
but for some reason i got into this, every single line of dialogue is absurd, and the music is so good. Like, you will spend at most 15 seconds driving a boat in this game, but the
soundtrack for it is 4 minutes long, only a crazy person could put something like this in a game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I really wonder what they were thinking when designing the assault rifle in Halo 1. There has never been a more useless gun in the entire history of shooters.

60 bullets in a clip, only 5 hit if you shoot anything farther than a meter away, and even at point blank the fucking thing still can't kill anything. WTF even.

I'm guessing it was in part because of controllers sucking at aiming and not having absurdly strong lock on cheats at the time. 20% hit rate doesn't matter if your aim is that shit anyway. This also explains why the pistol is so OP, you weren't meant to be able to hit headshots more than 2% of the time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Reached lvl 30 with most of my characters in Diablo 2.

Decided the Hammerdin was mind numbingly boring, and re-specced him to Holy Freeze+Zeal; much more fun.

The Fire Sorceress, Lightning Sorceress and Fire Druid are also starting to bore me. It feels like the Ice Sorceress is far more powerful per mana used, while the Lightning one takes too many castings to get the same damage. And with the Fire Sorceress I find myself just spamming Fireballs, since at least they are fast.
So I'm definitely not enjoying casters as much as the more physical classes. Another problem is that often when firing spells at point blank (Blessed Hammer and (Chain) Lightning) do no damage, which is annoying.

Haven't made any Runeword except a few Steel weapons in the beginning, since I want to actually use the Sets and Unique items I find. Interestingly the one Runeword you are told about in-game, the barbarian chief says the runes must be put in the right order, but he doesn't say what that order is. So no in-game way of learning the Runewords makes it feel so bloody tacked on and out sync with the rest of the game.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really wonder what they were thinking when designing the assault rifle in Halo 1. There has never been a more useless gun in the entire history of shooters.

60 bullets in a clip, only 5 hit if you shoot anything farther than a meter away, and even at point blank the fucking thing still can't kill anything. WTF even.
Pistol was the MVP in that game

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't get the hardon people have for the Halo pistol. Sure, you can headshoot grunts with it, but who gives a shit? It's awful against elites' force fields, you won't reliably ventilate jackals since they pop moles behind shields, and I'm pretty sure the flood ignore headshots. Ammo is also sparse before the flood. So really, what's the big deal?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get the hardon people have for the Halo pistol. Sure, you can headshoot grunts with it, but who gives a shit? It's awful against elites' force fields, you won't reliably ventilate jackals since they pop moles behind shields, and I'm pretty sure the flood ignore headshots. Ammo is also sparse before the flood. So really, what's the big deal?
Don't mind me dude, I am ballistically challenged and spent most of the game pistol/rifle/shotgun-whipping things.

One charged shot w/ plasma pistol then one headshot with regular pistol = dead elite even on the highest difficulty. Very important combo, elites have way too much health/shields otherwise but the two pistols combo kind of bypasses the problem. You can snipe the limbs of jackals behind shields and then headshot them. Don't recall its prowess vs. flood but IIRC flood were kind of mediocre anyway compared to the covenant on the highest difficulty.

Also its broken as fuck in multiplayer. The exact same plasma pistol/pistol combo works, or just like 3 or 4 headshots that can be landed from way too long a range for a weapon that you spawn with.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
real men charge at elites spamming plasma until their shields break and then bash them square in the face with the mailed fist of the emprah

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Space Funeral a free RPG Maker 1-hour game that goes for purposefully bad/weird graphics and weird dialogue and nonsensical story.
These types of games are hit or miss for me, because no one can know beforehand if they would enjoy watching another man's stream of consciousness
but for some reason i got into this, every single line of dialogue is absurd, and the music is so good. Like, you will spend at most 15 seconds driving a boat in this game, but the
soundtrack for it is 4 minutes long, only a crazy person could put something like this in a game.
Underrated gem of a game. I replayed it a couple of months ago and it was really fun.

If you're interested in strange atmospheric games, I wholeheartedly recommend Off. You can read my quick review here.

deuxhero

Arcane
Finally finished Fallout 4.

The game manages to both feel lacking in content and a slog. Aside from OK FPS mechanics and waifu modding (the only reason I gave it as long as I did), I think it did absolutely everything wrong. The loot system just means items are pointless except for components (which you quickly get more than enough of). The leveling system is full of mandatory picks to do basic things, and ridiculous imbalance. The dialog system is retarded. The plot is dumb. You've heard it before.

One under criticized about F4's factions is how everyone in a faction who isn't an outright traitor speaks with the exact same voice. I don't mean personality, but they all have the same exact goals and desires out of the faction: Everyone is a true believer in the cause for its own sake. The most you ever get is a couple of BoS members being distraught a traitor is a traitor, but nothing comes of it, and a couple mentions that the Railroad debates how far their saving machines should go, which again nothing comes of and is retarded for its own reasons I'll mention later. Ingram, Maxim, and Kells might as well be the same character for how they act exactly the same in practice (one line in her intro about Ingram's lack of legs being a sore spot for her aside). Contrast this with things in NV like how Moore and Hsu are both completely loyal to NCR, but have very different mindsets, subgoals, and personal feelings that often conflict, or even something as simple as John Nash and Deputy Beagle's conflicting views for Primm (where Nash is a bit passive and goes with anything, while Beagle is never satisfied with any of the options but unwilling to present an option himself) and it's quite clear what the problem is.

In theory removing karma was fine since it was such a vestigial mechanic in NV anyways. The problem is that removing karma and not including its replacement of faction rep meant Bethesda no longer felt like it needed any branches in quests. So many quests were so overly straightforward I had to look at a wiki to make sure I didn't miss critical branch option only to learn that, no, that quest really is just that straight forward and pointless.

The whole synth scare is retardedly written in general, but one weakness that needs to be pointed out more is how Bethesda didn't know what a Synth is. It feels like something was changed last minute, or the various writers weren't talking to each other, because you're shown and told that synths aren't robots, yet absolutely everyone, especially the three factions that are defined by their ideology about them, just kinda ignores it. Synths have human brains, and organs, need to breath, and can explicitly beat a DNA and metal detector test (and presumably can beat a blood test or x-ray since clutter shows those have to exist and be known): Synths are cyborgs grown in vats 3D printers, not robots. This should be an ironclad line between Gen 2 and Gen 3 synths for the Railroad, the most blasphemous thing the Institute does in the eyes of the Brotherhood, and the biggest show of the Institute's hubris. Instead everyone just ignores this, and quite conspicuously.

Should I even bother with Nukaworld or Far Harbor?

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Should I even bother with Nukaworld or Far Harbor?
Didn't do Nukaworld but Far Harbor is unique. Stronger exploration and characters than anything in the base game imo. It's not super long I think, just talk to Dima and see for yourself if you want to continue.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Played through all Left 4 Dead campaigns with friends. It was fun but I don't see myself getting obsessed with it and going full hardcore with it. After finishing it I was in the mood for more zombie stuff so I played Project Zomboid for around 20 hours, then I figured that it's a gimped version of CDDA.

Right now I'm playing Unicorn Overlord, which is the latest Vanillaware game. The game takes Ogre Battle games combat and tries to improve it by making it more complex and adding the gambit system of Final Fantasy XII.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom