Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Oblivion preview!!! Must see to believe!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sarvis said:
A proper skill system, which seems non-existant so far, would make a person with master skill points in climbing but low con, dex and str person still suck at climbing.
I want to mention, without disputing this, that in Gothic 2 the success of "thievery" skills was governed by dexterity. The skill reflected merely the theoretical understanding of the techniques.

hussar said:
Stats reflect skills ya dummy.
He said stats, but clearly meant attributes. You get a point for attacking the weak link, i.e. Sarvis, but lose ten points for style.

hussar said:
What's not debatable is that a character with weak dex, con, str would never make an excellent swimmer, runner, climber etc.
Nor did anyone debate it, you just didn't get (apparently) what the others did debate, see below.

Humans gain knowledge through intellect and experience...don't pull a fucking Plato on me and say that all you need is an intellect.
What HS (and Sarvis) tried to explain was that "skill" in an RPG may merely reflect understanding of a skill. This combined with attributes forms the practical skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom