Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Troika Games no longer exists

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Maybe he was disconnected from the whole thing and knew only what he was informed about.

It's especially stupid given that M's plan isn't just world conquest, but species replacement. It's integral that his mutants breed and repopulate the world. Figuring out fertility rates, how many kids each mutant can have every 10 years, what age they stop having kids, how long til baby mutants reach maturity etc - that would all be central information that you'd expect he'd want to gather before his plan takes shape.

If they were sterile, he'd want further testing from there. E.g. is the sterility in the males or the females? If it took the form of lacking sexual organs (whether external or internal) that would be absurdly retarded. If it is a matter of 'no females', then you'd think he'd conduct extensive tests on whether he can breed them with human females (especially for the Japanese version of the game). If it's a hormonal issue he'd want extensive testing on whether it can be rectified with drugs or IVF.

Also, I never saw why he couldn't just continue his plan slightly modified. Have human breeding facilities where the humans get 'farmed' with all the luxuries they can provide (and in a post-apoc setting that might not need to be that much to deter escapes - a sure supply of food, security, luxury accomodation, medical facilities, etc) and hence reproduce the mutant population by dipping the 'farmed' human infants, leaving just enough of a portion (focussing on those whose genetic stock is tied to high physical attractiveness, hence making it easier to achieve breeding-in-captivity) to sustain the farmed humans.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Azrael the cat said:
Also, I never saw why he couldn't just continue his plan slightly modified. Have human breeding facilities where the humans get 'farmed' with all the luxuries they can provide
Actually the lack of such an option is justified. Master isn't hurr durr evil plan at any cost kind of guy. The whole point of his plan is that mutants are superior to normals and they don't need the humans, at all. The only use of humans is to be turned into the superior race. Any correction to his plan that requires normals to be around is a failure of the plan and unacceptable.

DraQ

Arcane
Or, he could go The Many route, only better (The Many had centralized nervous system), and seek to assimilate everyone into his own joyous unity, AKA ever growing reddish blob, with mutants being only his temporary henchmen facilitating the integration of everyone else before integrating with the master as well. That would be a logical conclusion to his notes too.

Of course, even assuming the actual joyous, harmonious unity, the fairest possible merge and that Master would be capable of some sort of autotrophy, the scenario would remain rather disagreeable to most of the the interested, which is kind of the point of having a well-made benevolent villain.
:smug:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" Master isn't hurr durr evil plan at any cost kind of guy. The whole point of his plan is that mutants are superior to normals and they don't need the humans, at all. The only use of humans is to be turned into the superior race. Any correction to his plan that requires normals to be around is a failure of the plan and unacceptable."

The Master is evil. The fact people try to dispute this is bullshit. He mass murders people simply because they get in his way, he wants to murder an entire species - which, we in the real world tend to strongly disapprove of - and, he's all about power.

Evil to the core.

visions

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Maybe he was disconnected from the whole thing and knew only what he was informed about.

Sort of like Hitler didn't know about the holocaust?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ironyuri

DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
That merely moves incompetence/stupid evulz a tier or two down, with game failing to elaborate on it.

I rest my case - an excellent idea, botched implementation.

The Master's intelligence counts for nothing because of his pure belief in his plans. He may have been vaguely aware of the sterility problem but thought that it was nothing to worry about because of the sheer force of his belief in what he was doing.

Belief is a hell of a drug and it can make even the most intelligent think they're doing the right thing when objectively they're just fucking nuts.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Volourn said:
The Master is evil. The fact people try to dispute this is bullshit. He mass murders people simply because they get in his way, he wants to murder an entire species - which, we in the real world tend to strongly disapprove of - and, he's all about power.

Evil to the core.

No.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's the weakest part of fallout's story. I accept it, but i don't like it.

In a sense it "feels" like this weakness was introduced just as a way to make possible the diplomatic boy endgame. I wish a better solution was found at the time.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
ironyuri said:
Belief is a hell of a drug and it can make even the most intelligent think they're doing the right thing when objectively they're just fucking nuts.

True. When people worship a particular ideology, it is the core tenets of the ideology that blinds them to reality most and it is this blindness leads to their undoing.

I wonder if the designers of Fallout, had that in mind when they created the Master character?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Volourn said:
" Master isn't hurr durr evil plan at any cost kind of guy. The whole point of his plan is that mutants are superior to normals and they don't need the humans, at all. The only use of humans is to be turned into the superior race. Any correction to his plan that requires normals to be around is a failure of the plan and unacceptable."

Evil to the core.

Klaz

Scholar
I always thought that Richard Grey just went insane. Compare his journal entries before and after he falls into the F. E. V. vat.

His psychic powers also had the side-effect of giving him multiple personalities (From the people he had to consume) and this clearly didn't do his mental health any good. He doesn't think rationally, since he always claims that he wants to invade Vault 13 to convert the unradiated humans into non-stupid mutants, yet in the cutscene that plays if the PC gets turned into a super-mutant he clearly has the vault dwellers killed (Though this could be the super mutants being too stupid to remember that their boss wants the humans alive)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Volourn said:

Evil to the core.

Completely missing the point, good job. :salute:

Sceptic said:
Azrael the cat said:
Also, I never saw why he couldn't just continue his plan slightly modified. Have human breeding facilities where the humans get 'farmed' with all the luxuries they can provide
Actually the lack of such an option is justified. Master isn't hurr durr evil plan at any cost kind of guy. The whole point of his plan is that mutants are superior to normals and they don't need the humans, at all. The only use of humans is to be turned into the superior race. Any correction to his plan that requires normals to be around is a failure of the plan and unacceptable.

But if he isn't the "evil plan at any cost" kind of guy, wouldn't he just adapt once he realized the original plan wouldn't work, instead of ragequitting?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
He was/is insane. Rational details aren't necessarily visible on his radar at that point.

Rageing Atheist said:
Sort of like Hitler didn't know about the holocaust?
Actually, a very good comparison. Try to prove with documentary evidence that Hitler knew about Holocaust. You can't, since there is no such evidence - Nazis burned it all if it ever existed. Logically he must have known, of course.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"In a sense it "feels" like this weakness was introduced just as a way to make possible the diplomatic boy endgame. I wish a better solution was found at the time."

Exactly.

"Completely missing the point, good job."

You miss the obvious. The Master is evil. He wants to wipe out an entires epcies and does it in as cruel a way as possible. As mentione dby others, the complete destruction of Vault 13 is more evidence of this. The eradiction of multiple cities is evidence. The use of mutants who enjoy mass murder as well proves this. The fact he feels that mutants are superior to humans is more proof. He is insanely evil.

Master = Hitler

Yes, I went there.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hitler had loads and loads of depth.
That you compare a fictional villain to one of the most famous personalities in modern history does say something about the quality of the writing, don't you say?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. I could comapre lots of characters to real life folk due to certain aspects. The Master is nowhere enar as 'deep' or 'complex' as Hitler. All I said he was as evil as Hitler was.

That said, I never said the Master was a bad villain. He wasn't. But, this idea that he was some goody two shoes trying to be a hero is beyond bullshit nor was he all that complex. He was insanely evil. That's it that's all.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dExtremist

•The Master, the villain of Fallout, wanted to safeguard humanity... by converting all pure humans into hardier super-mutants more able to survive the wasteland, and destroying those "impure" strains who could not be converted. He believed his atrocities were in the interest of the greater good... and if you prove to him that his plan couldn't work and they were actually for nothing, he commits suicide out of sorrow and remorse.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di ... h5p&page=0

Yeah, I went there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Osma Bin Laden & Hitler = Well Intentioned Extremists

LMFAO

P.S. Master's goal is to wipe out all humans, dip many into goo, and turn them into near mindless and ultra violent mutants. That is not an overall goal that a normal, sane person should beable to a''preciate in principle'. FFS :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Volourn said:
He was insanely evil. That's it that's all.

You make the Master seem like the simplest of comic book villians.

Everyone has a motivation, everyone who is ideologically driven, thinks they are in the right.

Comic book villains like you describe, don't exist outside of children's comic books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom