Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 10 role-playing games

Shevek

Arcane
I have to agree with Llamagod's sentiments - but only to a certain extent.

I can understand that U4, Betrayal at Krondor, and older titles werent on there simply because this new generation of gamers hasnt played them (I certainly would have listed them but I stayed away from the thread since I change my mind on these top ten list things all time). It is difficult to ask players who have been brought up with a certain standard for graphics and sound to go back and play these titles.

Also, I have to admit that though I love Deus Ex as a game (easily in my general gaming top ten), it certainly is not one of the best roleplaying games (since in such a top ten I would use a different standard to judge these titles by). Maybe the thread starter should have been more specific as to how players should have judged the titles - or perhaps the poll is useful as it shows most players tend to buy into labels such as 'fps-rpg' thereby lending credence to marketers use of the term 'rpg' as a selling point irrespective the game's strengths/weaknesses.

Finally, while BG2 may not have all the earmarks of the optimal role playing game (certainly not its expansion), it certainly beats the stuffing out of alot we get nowadays. Yes, its a linear dungeon crawler but its a good one. It would have been lower on the list for me (then again, I might have given the spot to KoTOR, which had the semblence of a skill system and some neat choices, depeding on my state of mind).

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Umm, Ultima 7 was on there. Betrayal at Krondor was good, but like PST, it was more of a slightly open-ended book than a full-fledged RPG (Though you could do side stuff like learn to how to play instruments, rob houses, that kind of thing).

And franky, some old games we may remember as being good just plain suck nowadays. An example would be Might and Magic IV, which I loved way back when. In a fit of nostalgia I dug it up on my Might and Magic 6 disk and reinstalled it. Lo and behold, it bored the shit out of me and was definitely not the Might and Magic IV I remembered.

Ultima 7 is like 1992 or 1993
'92.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
LlamaGod said:
After seeing this, I hate you all (or atleast most fo you). You guys like so many shitty games but claim to be RPG MASTARS (most of you atleast).
Well, the collective top 10 is rather dissimilar to my top 10; but you don't hear me being all pissy about it.

You mean, you wanted to be part of the hivemind? :o

As for older games and games that didn't quite make it, perhaps people should look at the "extended results" that Jed supplied.
Wizardry 8 and Ultima 4, my personal favourites, didn't get in the top 10, but they did get mentioned by quite a few people.

Edit:
Actually, I just looked at the extended list and there are a heap of older games and "rpg mastar" types. So shut the fuck up.

Also, so many trailing games that still got voted for by several people means that the "hivemind" is a bit of a myth.

Whipporowill

Erudite
At least the list shows this place doesn't have any kind of hive mind, heh. I abstained from voting on classics like Betrayal at Krondor, Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder since I believe I'd have chosen them more on nostalgia than on actual worth if playing them today. Ultima 7 on the other hand would be a seriously competative rpg by todays standards if just being given a graphical overhaul.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Well, the collective top 10 is rather dissimilar to my top 10; but you don't hear me being all pissy about it.

You mean, you wanted to be part of the hivemind?

Just annoyed at how praised the shittier games are by some people here.

OMG hivemind nazimans thinking, but come on.. some of those things are just pure dogpoo.

I dont get why Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate 2 is so popular among some here. They are pretty lame games.

So here is the Moron's Top 10 or something:

1.Planescape:Torment
2.Baldur's Gate 2
3 Fallout 2
4.Daggerfall
5.Deux Ex
6.Baldur's Gate 1
7.Neverwinter Nights
8.Bloodlines
9.Morrowind
10.System Shock 2

Tintin

Arbiter
I dont get why Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate 2 is so popular among some here. They are pretty lame games.

Ever considered you were just lame on picking good games?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
THE TRUE TOP 10 REAL RPG LISTS:

1. NWN

2. FO2

3. BG2

4. BG1

5. FO1

6. FF8

7. JE

8. ARC

9. FF6

10. Ultima Series (I'm sure some of these would be higher in the list if I actually remembered details, lol)

Honourable Mentions: BL, FF7, and FF10.

All other RPGs are either good enough to play, or just plain crappy.

Period.

All you fucking MORONIC Codex Stalker Moronic FAKE RPGers cna eat your FAKE top 10 RPG lists, and puke.

Hahahahaha!

Muahahaha!

Game over.

Twinfalls

Erudite
superslam9pq9rn.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I guess the real question is... Of this top 10 list.. how many of these game ACTUALLY allow you to "Role-Play" your character.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
The Final Fantasy games and Kotor games didn't even cross my mind. List might have been different, but FF's stay off it. They aren't really rpgs...

Eclecticist

Liturgist
The FF games are nowhere near RPGs, no matter how loose your definition. Idiots that claim otherwise are just that...idiots.

HardCode

Erudite
In no particular order

1. Wasteland
2. Ultima (yes, the original C64 game).
3. Baldur's Gate
4. Morrowind
5. Pirates! (I consider this role playing)
6. Betrayal at Krondor
7. Civilization II (the role you play is leader of your nation)
8. Might & Magic (yes, the original C64 game).
9. Baldur's Gate 2
10. KOTOR (I hated II)

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Jaesun said:
Define "Role Playing Game".

A vast array of choices ranging from character developement to story completion. Choices that allow you to be a certain distinct person that may change completely on another play through the game.

Choices.

Surlent

Liturgist
Guys, Deus Ex is one of the best games, but it's still not an computer roleplaying game. Linear story and exact same main character every time, only choice was in equipment save the ending. How did that pop in Codex top10 ? The game is as much rpg as zelda or final fantasys.

Borys

Novice
Surlent said:
Guys, Deus Ex is one of the best games, but it's still not an computer roleplaying game. Linear story and exact same main character every time, only choice was in equipment save the ending. How did that pop in Codex top10 ? The game is as much rpg as zelda or final fantasys.

Because it's the closest thing to real-life role-playing (not table top!), to living a role of an futuristic agent?

No artificial stats and dice rolls, just dialogues and your own choices. Take Ultima game, put in in the future and in first-person mode and that's basically what Deus Ex is.

I found that way, way more in the true spirit of "role-playing" that your typical D&D number crunching games (and I *love* them). For the record: I didn't put on my TTL any Zelda or FF game and I can't see how one could compare Deus Ex to them.

Deus Ex is up there with Ultimas: both Underworld and Black Gate when it comes to immersing player in its world and offering a unique, not stricte level based experience.

It's not an action game like Zelda and it's not a turn-based jRPG like FF.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
jiujitsu said:
Why because NWN doesn't make the list?

It's the top ten BEST rpgs.

Not the ten WORST rpgs.

NWN would make that list for sure. :lol:

Hey, we should vote for that list too! First place goes to Lionheart, IMO.

Gromnir

Liturgist
is a bit likes asking the kids on the short bus to vote. the only possible folks that would care what is the results of the vote is the other short bus kids.

am doubtful that the folks at rand is worried 'bout the collective brain trust that is rpgkotex.

HA! Good Fun!

Micmu

Magister
Where's my Dungeon Lords!? You guys are actiongamers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom