Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This site was special because anybody could say anything they wanted but I see this site taking on more of a filtering and censorship role

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is the problem right here with how a lot of community's are run. Just because mods aren't being paid doesn't mean they should be allowed to shit on the community and start pushing any buttons they want and giving zero fucks about their actions. Also just because there's no direct transfer of money from user to site admins doesn't mean we should all just shut up and be censored and watch one of our fav. hobby sites go to shit. But this site is built off the back of the user generated content that brings the traffic and ultimately however much money keeps the site running. The admins of the site are responsible and are applauded and adulated for creating a site we all love to contribute to, but the users are also responsible for the site's growth based on the passionate contributions of the many here. It's a symbiotic relationship between users and admins.

It's frustrating when you've contributed somewhere for many years and then ownership of the site will completely SHIT ON the users by taking away long time features or adding draconian rules/processes that impact the ability to contribute or start censoring/filtering content that used to be ok in order to make the site more advertiser friendly etc. etc. etc.

flanders.png

Let's see here...

Screenshot 2023-08-16 234100.png

You have 195 posts over 14 years which means that you post an average of approximately 0.03816... times a day. etc. etc. etc.

I can only hope you find some way to recoup all the time you spend passionately posting and contributing here. But on the off chance you can't, I'll monetize it for you by giving you a nickel to shut the fuck up. Where can I mail it to?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
as soon as they put money/profit/etc. over the health of the free flow of ideas, then it's a BIG TIME loss.

Yeah, Codex is a money making machine from what I hear. DU rolls around in a limo filled with stacks of cash, like a certain S. McDuck.

Moderating/staffing an active message board is a job of SERVICE to the community

Shit, I hope the mods stop getting paid so well for their time then.

While I don't know you and certainly don't think you're retarded, have you considered the possibility that you're just retarded?
This is the problem right here with how a lot of community's are run. Just because mods aren't being paid doesn't mean they should be allowed to shit on the community and start pushing any buttons they want and giving zero fucks about their actions. Also just because there's no direct transfer of money from user to site admins doesn't mean we should all just shut up and be censored and watch one of our fav. hobby sites go to shit. But this site is built off the back of the user generated content that brings the traffic and ultimately however much money keeps the site running. The admins of the site are responsible and are applauded and adulated for creating a site we all love to contribute to, but the users are also responsible for the site's growth based on the passionate contributions of the many here. It's a symbiotic relationship between users and admins.

It's frustrating when you've contributed somewhere for many years and then ownership of the site will completely SHIT ON the users by taking away long time features or adding draconian rules/processes that impact the ability to contribute or start censoring/filtering content that used to be ok in order to make the site more advertiser or publisher friendly etc. etc. etc.

I'm not even saying that the Codex has crossed any lines yet but i have seen some suspect moves being made and I'm hoping it ends there and doesn't continue to go in that direction.
While I could agree some moderators here are of dubious intelligence, I have never felt anyone ever censored me or seem to censor others nor act god (Crispy just acts an asshole sometimes), and I have no idea what are you talking about, even considering all the time I've spent here of over 15 years. The only complaint about such I could have is retardoing threads instead of letting them live their lives, but that's more like DU's policy.

Just look at Baldur's Gate 3 thread where "James Dicks On" spams about his tranny love all time (although okay, the thread got separated now).

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
as soon as they put money/profit/etc. over the health of the free flow of ideas, then it's a BIG TIME loss.

Yeah, Codex is a money making machine from what I hear. DU rolls around in a limo filled with stacks of cash, like a certain S. McDuck.

Moderating/staffing an active message board is a job of SERVICE to the community

Shit, I hope the mods stop getting paid so well for their time then.

While I don't know you and certainly don't think you're retarded, have you considered the possibility that you're just retarded?

It's frustrating when you've contributed somewhere for many years and then ownership of the site will completely SHIT ON the users by taking away long time features or adding draconian rules/processes that impact the ability to contribute or start censoring/filtering content that used to be ok in order to make the site more advertiser or publisher friendly etc. etc. etc.

I'm not even saying that the Codex has crossed any lines yet but i have seen some suspect moves being made and I'm hoping it ends there and doesn't continue to go in that direction.
While I could agree some moderators here are of dubious intelligence, I have never felt anyone ever censored me or seem to censor others nor act god (Crispy just acts an asshole sometimes), and I have no idea what are you talking about, even considering all the time I've spent here of over 15 years. The only complaint about such I could have is retardoing threads instead of letting them live their lives, but that's more like DU's policy.

Just look at Baldur's Gate 3 thread where "James Dicks On" spams about his tranny love all time (although okay, the thread got separated now).

You sound upset and butthurt there. Gee I thought we were friends. I guess not since you have to act like a 2 year old.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You sound upset and butthurt there. Gee I thought we were friends. I guess not since you have to act like a 2 year old.
2-year olds go into game threads of games they don't plan to play to incessantly talk about irrelevant shit

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Why is the chat box gone on the main forum page? (...)
Because it brought out the worst in certain members and the resulting drama spilled into the forum. You can get more information here, but I'd strongly advise against delving into this topic. Many members feel that removing shoutbox has improved the codex.
(...)Why is there double authentication in order to post that has to be renewed every 30 days? (this is a gaming website not an ecommerce where CC info is kept)(...)
Because some butthurt vatnik started hacking accounts and deleting all their posts. This destabilizes the forum and 2-FA was made mandatory as result. I don't like this myself, but I can understand it.
(...)Why is there a mandatory probationary period in order to get approved to post ?(...)
As a newfag, I can state with confidence that the probation period doesn't matter. I cannot tell you when or why it was introduced.

Modron

Arcane
As a newfag, I can state with confidence that the probation period doesn't matter. I cannot tell you when or why it was introduced.
It's been around for over 11 years at least, mostly just to weed out spambots.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Just since Monday:

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Just since Monday:

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Just since Monday:

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset.
one more for the collection

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Just since Monday:

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset

You sound upset.
one more for the collection

You can join the retard list as well. Enjoy your stay.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is the chat box gone on the main forum page? Why is there double authentication in order to post that has to be renewed every 30 days? (this is a gaming website not an ecommerce where CC info is kept) Why is there a mandatory probationary period in order to get approved to post ? all of these are barriers to the free flow of ideas/participation

While I am certainly not defending on how admins and mods handle some things that the shoutbox is gone is more of a community driven thing. There was a *lot* of drama regarding this.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
What's with the new posters having to go through approval period? Is this site a wannabe Reddit or Facebook now? It's stupid to censor posters and lock the gate and not allow the free flow of ideas
When I joined in 2015 my first 5 posts had to be individually ok'd by a mod, certainly not an admin lmao they have things to do and people to meet, then I could post freely in the games sections, and a year later I got access to GD.

Has the system changed since then?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
There has been shitposters a decade ago, and there are still shitposters. I feel this is a nothingburger.

Are there topics that we are no longer able to discuss on RPGCodex?
Serious discussions of, or especially links to, things that run afoul of Aus/US/Western European laws will get you a swift one-way ticket to nuketown (as they should), and possibly be referred to relevant law-enforcement agencies (as they should). Excessive attention-whoring will also generally result in progressive disciplinary steps. Otherwise pretty much everything is kosher as long as it is in the correct sub-forum.

OP sure sets off my alt-radar though. That location is a dead-giveaway.

But I hate these threads where Crispy, generally a smug useless cunt, is the voice of reason. So fuck you for making this thread OP, even if you are trolling.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom