Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Caim

Arcane
Pro tip: when you're working at some regional office of a large corporation and the CEO suddenly shows up for a surprise visit, update your resume because you'll need it very soon.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Last of Us director Neil Druckmann says he doesn’t think he has many more big games left in him
Uncharted 4 and Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann has said he’s started thinking seriously about when he might stop making blockbuster games.

In an interview with rapper Logic, Naughty Dog’s president said he could envision himself transitioning to something more low-key, which enables him to continue being creative in a less stressful environment while also spending more time with his kids.

Asked if he sees himself making games forever, Druckmann said that recently he’s “really enjoyed” working on other creative projects like HBO’s Last of Us TV show and a Halloween Horror Nights experience at Universal Studios.
“I guess that I don’t see myself doing this forever at this scale,” he said. “It’s just a lot, and it takes a lot out of you. It’s very stressful to manage that many people and multiple studios worldwide.

“So, you were talking about how you’re entering this new phase in your life, where your kids are number one, and I’m in a similar place where my kids are number one. And I know that, especially, my daughter’s now 13, and I feel like life is pulling her away from me. I know that time is limited, so it’s very precious to me, and I don’t want to waste it when they do want to spend time with me, and that’s number one.
“Yeah so, I’m just at a point in my life where it’s like, you start looking at, ‘what’s the end game here? When is it time to call it?’

Druckmann said he’s a big Quentin Tarantino fan, and he’s keen to find out if the director sticks to his public comments about making no more than 10 films. He thinks the Pulp Fiction director will, but that he’ll end up making TV shows or doing something else creative.

“So, I could see myself transitioning to something that’s like more low-key, and lower stressed, that still allows me to have this creative outlet,” Druckmann said. “But you know, I’ve started thinking about how many more of these games do I have in me, and it’s not that many.”

Yep, Sony Japan HQ isn't happy.

Take a crawl and bring Amy Hennig back.
Have you seen Amy's latest work?

427f857f78d380f74d099eb6650366d226d95bc13c7a3eeb98ec22fea0b1dfee_1.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Last of Us director Neil Druckmann says he doesn’t think he has many more big games left in him
Uncharted 4 and Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann has said he’s started thinking seriously about when he might stop making blockbuster games.

In an interview with rapper Logic, Naughty Dog’s president said he could envision himself transitioning to something more low-key, which enables him to continue being creative in a less stressful environment while also spending more time with his kids.

Asked if he sees himself making games forever, Druckmann said that recently he’s “really enjoyed” working on other creative projects like HBO’s Last of Us TV show and a Halloween Horror Nights experience at Universal Studios.
“I guess that I don’t see myself doing this forever at this scale,” he said. “It’s just a lot, and it takes a lot out of you. It’s very stressful to manage that many people and multiple studios worldwide.

“So, you were talking about how you’re entering this new phase in your life, where your kids are number one, and I’m in a similar place where my kids are number one. And I know that, especially, my daughter’s now 13, and I feel like life is pulling her away from me. I know that time is limited, so it’s very precious to me, and I don’t want to waste it when they do want to spend time with me, and that’s number one.
“Yeah so, I’m just at a point in my life where it’s like, you start looking at, ‘what’s the end game here? When is it time to call it?’

Druckmann said he’s a big Quentin Tarantino fan, and he’s keen to find out if the director sticks to his public comments about making no more than 10 films. He thinks the Pulp Fiction director will, but that he’ll end up making TV shows or doing something else creative.

“So, I could see myself transitioning to something that’s like more low-key, and lower stressed, that still allows me to have this creative outlet,” Druckmann said. “But you know, I’ve started thinking about how many more of these games do I have in me, and it’s not that many.”

That's not "her work", that's her meaningless, miniscule contribution to an idiot publisher.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now that Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC, there goes my last reason to ever even consider PS4/5.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought from the start that Sony going PC was a stupid move. Microsoft did this with Xbox because they care more about selling game pass subs than Xbox consoles. Sony should have seen how Xbox sales dwindled when every game also came to PC. As many have mentioned, a lot of people will see no reason in buying a PS5 as more and more PS4/5 games are going to other platforms.

Of course, this wasn't the only fault of Sony. Focusing on GaaS, and stop making smaller games (killing Sony Japan Studios for example) bit them in the ass. Sure, their top selling games are selling in great numbers, but the returns aren't as big.

I'll keep repeating myself: I'm happy with my PS5, but I always say no when someone asks me if they should get one.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought from the start that Sony going PC was a stupid move. Microsoft did this with Xbox because they care more about selling game pass subs than Xbox consoles. Sony should have seen how Xbox sales dwindled when every game also came to PC. As many have mentioned, a lot of people will see no reason in buying a PS5 as more and more PS4/5 games are going to other platforms.

Of course, this wasn't the only fault of Sony. Focusing on GaaS, and stop making smaller games (killing Sony Japan Studios for example) bit them in the ass. Sure, their top selling games are selling in great numbers, but the returns aren't as big.

I'll keep repeating myself: I'm happy with my PS5, but I always say no when someone asks me if they should get one.
It seems like console market is dying anyway - games take too long to develop etc etc... maybe they are trying to focus on making games now too, and console production is no more relevant?

Microsoft was competing with Sony with the console market, but they clearly gave up, and certainly had financial reasons to do so. Perhaps it's not because they 'lost' to Sony, but rather because the market there is not viable anymore. Consoles are new-tech hardware and get old fast, if nowadays games are developed for 4-7 years by the time you will get these new games for the newest and coolest console that console will become ancient and a budget PC will obliberate it in performance.

I suspect that the main reason why consoles are still afloat are high GPU prices since corona and bitcoin insanity. It's not old times when parents bought kids an expensive toy because they had no idea about technology. Nowadays parents are likely gamers too, or at least one of them, and have a vague idea about technology, which might lead them to buy a PC instead.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PCs have always obliterated consoles in performance, even at launch. There is no comparison.

Zlaja

Arcane
The real reason Sony has started to release their previous exlusives to PC is because game sales on PS5 have been rather poor. They aren't selling nearly as many games per console as they did with PS4. And we all know (or at least should know by now) that the big money is not in hardware sales, but game sales. So, despite the fact that PS5 has been selling well (same pace as PS4), the software sales have dipped, and this is hurting Sony.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

That's not "her work", that's her meaningless, miniscule contribution to an idiot publisher.

Nope. "Forspoken was written by Gary Whitta (Rogue One), Amy Hennig (Uncharted series), Allison Rymer and Todd Stashwick"

I don't care if the main retard is Gary Whitta, the point is that she owns this shit as well.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Software sales might have dipped, but budgets have also spiraled out of control. Sony goes for third person narrative games, with high end graphics (for consoles).

Look at Nintendo, and their ability to print money. They messed up with the Wii U, and then the Switch came around, and obliterated many records. Nintendo consistently release games that sell 5+ million copies, Sony also have several 5+ million sellers. The difference is that one company goes for high end graphics, while the other aims to have gameplay be the focus.

I have felt for several years that the way Sony is going is the wrong one. While people praised Jim Ryan, I was always criticizing him. Why did I do that? I felt like he was going for short term gains, and I am now proven right. I don't know if the company is in a dire financial situation, but they sure don't seem to be healthy. I questioned the purchase of Bungie, which in hindsight seems to have become a shit show, and I have also questioned pther studio purchases. Lo and behold, there are job cuts in those studios before even releasing a single game.

Previously, Sony released all types of games. Smaller ones like Locoroco, Tokyo Jungle, medium ones like the Sly series, and some other platformers. Plus their big hitters. These days, they are going for only big hitters, and those come to PC at some point.

I have played a shit ton of games on PS5, but there aren't many first party exclcusives that I have played, or am even interested in.

Lincolnberry

Educated
The real problem is the creatives at Sony are more interested in making movies than games. That's clear across their creative endeavours over the last 10 years and Druckmann is an especially lucid example as he states earlier in this thread.

Video games won't rival movies as a movie experience (reflexive, I know), and if anyone ever does I have a hard time imagining it will be Sony. That is a lost cause from the get go. Also, why would I buy a $500 console to watch a movie - netflix and even theatres cost a fraction even today.

Sony will probably continue to piss away ever greater amounts of money for ever smaller visual increments while continuing to make boring, by-the-numbers games and systems a-la-Ubisoft as that's the only way they can keep some semblance of control over the content producitin and cost pipeline (and they're failing here too - probably why Jim is on the outs). It's a shame Microsoft sucks so much - Sony could really use some competition but it clearly isn't going to come from those incompetent fools.

Meanwhile, Nintendo continues to be a good company who knows what their customers want and is manically focused on delivering that - while building a business model around it that makes sense. Now if only they could figure out how to properly use connectivity...

Tehdagah

Arcane

Nope. "Forspoken was written by Gary Whitta (Rogue One), Amy Hennig (Uncharted series), Allison Rymer and Todd Stashwick"

I don't care if the main retard is Gary Whitta, the point is that she owns this shit as well.

It's interesting how Amy Hennig and Bruce Straley never made a hit after leaving Naughty Dog, meanwhile Druckmann did a successful game and a successful TV show. Turns out he was the one who carried the trio.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PCs have always obliterated consoles in performance, even at launch. There is no comparison.
According to steam surveys, most people are running far from "obliterating' hardware.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
Youre kidding, right?

An RTX 3060 absolutely does obliterate every console, and probably the next generation if there even is one. Even a 1060 would. And it makes sense given that the cards cost more than a console by themselves already.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
ps5 has a gpu that's roughly in line with the rx 6700
xsx gpu has more compute units than the rx 6700, but the pc equivalent should be the 6700 xt since that has far higher clocks so it evens out.

both are faster than the 3060. the 6700 by like 15%, xt by like 30%

deuxhero

Arcane

link to article if you don't want to click:
Web Archive link

Acquired in 2021 and only released a VR thing. Apparently working on Scam Citizen content.

Sony has committed the worst possible mistake in buying a studio and meddling to the point where it may end up in a death spiral and unable to complete any of the projects it is working on.
So now there's a new thing to blame for Scam Citizen not releasing.

Azdul

Magister
Software sales might have dipped, but budgets have also spiraled out of control. Sony goes for third person narrative games, with high end graphics (for consoles).

Look at Nintendo, and their ability to print money. They messed up with the Wii U, and then the Switch came around, and obliterated many records. Nintendo consistently release games that sell 5+ million copies, Sony also have several 5+ million sellers. The difference is that one company goes for high end graphics, while the other aims to have gameplay be the focus.

I have felt for several years that the way Sony is going is the wrong one. While people praised Jim Ryan, I was always criticizing him. Why did I do that? I felt like he was going for short term gains, and I am now proven right. I don't know if the company is in a dire financial situation, but they sure don't seem to be healthy. I questioned the purchase of Bungie, which in hindsight seems to have become a shit show, and I have also questioned pther studio purchases. Lo and behold, there are job cuts in those studios before even releasing a single game.

Previously, Sony released all types of games. Smaller ones like Locoroco, Tokyo Jungle, medium ones like the Sly series, and some other platformers. Plus their big hitters. These days, they are going for only big hitters, and those come to PC at some point.

I have played a shit ton of games on PS5, but there aren't many first party exclcusives that I have played, or am even interested in.
You wouldn't buy 50$ remaster of Locoroco on PS4 and then on PS5. So making games like this is completely pointless.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
It isn't. They don't have a single first party release until after April of next year. They always had games of all sizes to fill release gaps. Now? Everything is AAA, sells well, but does not have good enough margins.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
ps5 has a gpu that's roughly in line with the rx 6700
xsx gpu has more compute units than the rx 6700, but the pc equivalent should be the 6700 xt since that has far higher clocks so it evens out.

both are faster than the 3060. the 6700 by like 15%, xt by like 30%
Not to mention a console is much more optimized for playing games than a PC would be.

Konjad

Patron

Zlaja

Arcane
According to steam surveys, most people are running far from "obliterating' hardware.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Language Simplified Chinese 32%

:thingsareokay:
You didn't know PRC has a high population or that they could afford PCs?

Suprised by the sheer number: 1/3 of all users. I thought it was more like 10-15%.

Konjad

Patron
Suprised by the sheer number: 1/3 of all users. I thought it was more like 10-15%.
So the former. China has somewhere around 17-18% world population. Exclude shitholes where there are few PCs and consider Chinese don't know English so they won't use English Steam like i.e. Europeans, and you can easily get this number.

Ghost of Tsushima came out in 2020, and at the moment still doesn’t even have an announcement for PC. A four years PC release isn’t cutting into their hardware sales. But what it will do is probably move a few million more copies of a game that’s already sold 9.73 million copies across two systems and probably had sales slowing down.

Xbox sales didn’t dwindle because they were putting everything on PC. Everything was going to PC because Xbox sales had already dwindled. Xbox came out of being on top during the 360 and fucked themselves into the ground harder than Sony did going into the PS3, they never recovered from Don Mattrick. Although Xbox never got its shit together after Mattrick left either. They never recovered from losing Bungie and Epic. And they waited way too long to go on the buying spree they went on so they’d have developers. Hell, it’s kind of weird they didn’t buy Epic. It’s weird they let Double Helix Games get snatched up from under them while they were making Killer Instinct. Microsoft just does things very stupid. One of the funnier things is they turned down the rights for the Spider-Man Game saying they didn’t have the team to make, which were then bought up Sony, who then when to Insomniac Games having just come off making a game for Microsoft. It would’ve happened under Don Mattrick, but Microsoft also gave up the whole fighting game fandom when they turned down Capcom’s offer to have Street Fighter 5 exclusively; I think Microsoft said some like: Why do we need Street Fighter 5 when we have our own fighting game?

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Not to mention a console is much more optimized for playing games than a PC would be.
this is less true than it used to be. software has improved with better OS scheduling and better graphics APIs. CPUs will usually work better and faster since they're clocked higher on PCs and can use a dedicated pool of lower latency DRAM instead of unified GDDR on both consoles
consoles just have the advantage of implementing unique features that are either janky or impossible on PCs, like gyro aiming or the quick resume thing on xbox, which is very neat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom