Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

Higher Game

Arcane
I've noticed lately how shocking it is just how many people actually use the in game autopilot instead of cooking with a bit of secret sauce. Makes me sympathetic for all the player pirates seeing lots of obvious targets with no chance of escape. But the 30+ player gate gangs are just absurd, like they could set up half a dozen blockades if they wanted to, but that would require actual cooperation skills. Lowsec is an asshole magnet but probably most of its kills happen in just the top 10 worst systems, with the rest being surprisingly calm.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The philosophy I employ when using auto-jumps is to only carry stuff not worth their time.

Ie.. if I'm hauling 20 million isk worth of tritanium for 30 jumps, i'll just auto jump it and ignore it. If they want to risk concord security over that, be my guest.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EvE Online is selling skill points right now directly for money.

1.5 million skill points for $30.

Let the butthurt begin below.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's not new! They started doing this during Trig invasions. Lots of vets get spammed with even more ridiculous offers to resub and get lots of SP when you dish out >100$.
That... Will turn off many.
It already did :(

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

It's not new! They started doing this during Trig invasions. Lots of vets get spammed with even more ridiculous offers to resub and get lots of SP when you dish out >100$.

Guess they are taking advantage of the star citizen cash grab phenomena.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

What's the big deal?
The progress in EVE is horizontal, not vertical.
SPs give you more options of what ships you can fly and what tools you can use, but skillpoints alone won't turn an F1-monkey into a hotshot pilot.

The only possible problem I see is cap-blobs gallore.
But if anything it's a boost for pirates, making it easier to keep neutral alts for spying, scanning and hauling.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
This is the only game where I think enticing rich noobs to buy their way to the top would be a good thing for pvpers.

PvP has a lot of elements to it, and you can't buy the knowledge required to operate ships and stuff at the same level of experienced players. I'm not even talking the best players, just experienced.

InB4 EvE adopts other mmo alternate advancement gimmicks with special skills.

Higher Game

Arcane
I just now figured out how careful the care bears really are. I went into a single wormhole, from a busy high-sec system with 20+ people, to huff gas, and almost completely afk took all ~82M worth in a venture that was just right under their noses (heh). A couple nearby relic sites were untouched as well. But a gas site in high-sec might have a 30 minute life expectancy. :lol:

I once thought that if there was anything low-sec was good for, it was wormholes from lightly traveled routes, but apparently even that isn't true. Maybe only 10% of Eve players ever go into W-space, even just for a quick peek in from a single jump.

And fullerite gas has awesome aesthetics too, like Gabriel's horn.

Higher Game

Arcane
Some systems seem to be unusually popular just because they're handsome and pretty. Aesthetics matters. The ugly ones are left alone to be safer and cleaner but more boring. Life lessons here. :mixedemotions:

Higher Game

Arcane
My pirate cruiser with an empty cargo hold was recently raped to death by a pack of high-sec carebears and it wasn't in Uedama. :argh: I've even heard of this happening to marauders. Those spiteful little allahakbars aren't even looking for loot, just blowing up anything nicer than their tier-1 destroyers.

Ignore the fitting guide and load up both shields and armor if you're taking anything "nice" into high-sec. Anywhere else, it's easier to figure out who your friends and enemies are, outside of the crowds.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My pirate cruiser with an empty cargo hold was recently raped to death by a pack of high-sec carebears and it wasn't in Uedama. :argh: I've even heard of this happening to marauders. Those spiteful little allahakbars aren't even looking for loot, just blowing up anything nicer than their tier-1 destroyers.

Ignore the fitting guide and load up both shields and armor if you're taking anything "nice" into high-sec. Anywhere else, it's easier to figure out who your friends and enemies are, outside of the crowds.

>getting ganked in highsec flying an alpha-fit faction cruiser
>using fitting guides to fit a faction cruiser
>complaining about it online
>actually shocked they used 100-ISK ships to do it, literally time-honored EVE tradition
>shiggy diggy

Highsec is more dangerous than lowsec once you more-or-less know what you're doing outside of it, yes. That was a good lesson for you.

What type of outfit are you with?

Higher Game

Arcane

>getting ganked in highsec flying an alpha-fit faction cruiser
>using fitting guides to fit a faction cruiser
>complaining about it online
>actually shocked they used 100-ISK ships to do it, literally time-honored EVE tradition
>shiggy diggy

Highsec is more dangerous than lowsec once you more-or-less know what you're doing outside of it, yes. That was a good lesson for you.

What type of outfit are you with?

Still solo, but about at the point where I have decent character skills. I'm so far obliterating wormhole rats in a faction battlecruiser, and was hoping to try high level abyssal deadspace, but that will have to wait a while. Haven't joined an anti-goon alliance yet but probably should.

Higher Game

Arcane
How much PvP experience have you had?

Came in here to post that I found out fleet combat absolutely murders my old ass computer. :cry: I haven't ever stabbed a ratter in the back (zero skill involved), and my only successful "defenses" in the same scenario are usually killing a tackle frigate before the rest of the gang shows up to finish me off. The psychology of PvP is such that it's easier to kill someone in a group than by yourself.

It's unreal that a decades old game can still melt a PC but World of Warcraft can do it too, heh.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Came in here to post that I found out fleet combat absolutely murders my old ass computer. :cry:

Do you mean gang warfare (a handful vs. a handful), or actual fleet ops (AKA huge wads of players, AKA blob warfare)?

I ask because blob warfare melts everyone's computer, and has done since the game's release.

I haven't ever stabbed a ratter in the back (zero skill involved)

There's a better reason to kill ratters, which is to a serve as their mentor. You're teaching them that they're never safe anywhere and that they must always be vigilant.

and my only successful "defenses" in the same scenario are usually killing a tackle frigate before the rest of the gang shows up to finish me off.

The tackler is disposable, as I'm sure you're aware. That's why, back in the day, friends and I would set up bait for babby PvPers on the prowl for easy targets, then pod them. There's nothing like an unexpected highsec podding to get my dick hard, and we were providing valuable mentorship to these players as well.

That reminds me of the good old days when players figured out how to escape CONCORD even while in highsec, and CCP ruled that you had to allow CONCORD to kill you if you aggressed in highsec, or be found guilty of exploiting. Top keks were had.

The psychology of PvP is such that it's easier to kill someone in a group than by yourself.

That's also the physical reality of PvP, and both the psychological and physical reality in real life... usually. There are always Billy Badasses out there, and they probably aren't you.

Higher Game

Arcane
Blob. I get better performance if I restart every hour or so for some reason, but this wouldn't be acceptable in small groups. It's going to be funny as hell if I finally upgrade for Star Citizen and end up playing Eve more. But upgrading would make me feel guilty about my "backlog", mostly umpteen mods for old games I should check out. Well they're probably badly optimized PC crushers too heh.

Billy Badass is more like Billy Dumbass, but yes he usually does teach lessons to people who should know better. But in wormholes, when you start mixing a covert ops cloaking device with a faction scrambler, and hunt your prey with a d-scan in open combat sites, I don't think there's a single solo ship (or even up to 3 ratter ships) that can either notice or survive that style of ambush. Especially if cap warfare is used. The ratter ultimately has to come ahead economically against the worst case scenario. Or cuck and go null bear.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If you're using CovOps and d-scan (the mechanics of which I believe were "upgraded" since I retired in 2012) to hunt targets in WH space, then you must be playing EVE properly on some level.

That's always my challenge in this thread: I can't relate to carebears on any level, even after more than a decade away from the game. I mean, there are people who've been playing EVE for years who don't even know how to use the directional scanner. That's absolutely insane.

The best I can do is dispense outdated tips on how to stop being a carebear, which is actually quite easy to do with the correct mindset. When someone determinedly views EVE as being primarily a game about PvE, there's simply nothing to discuss. I mean that literally, because at this point I know virtually nothing about EVE PvE beyond the targets of opportunity it can serve up, especially when it comes to shit like the NPC factional warfare crap (that's been released long ago by now).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you're using CovOps and d-scan (the mechanics of which I believe were "upgraded" since I retired in 2012) to hunt targets in WH space, then you must be playing EVE properly on some level.

That's always my challenge in this thread: I can't relate to carebears on any level, even after more than a decade away from the game. I mean, there are people who've been playing EVE for years who don't even know how to use the directional scanner. That's absolutely insane.

The best I can do is dispense outdated tips on how to stop being a carebear, which is actually quite easy to do with the correct mindset. When someone determinedly views EVE as being primarily a game about PvE, there's simply nothing to discuss. I mean that literally, because at this point I know virtually nothing about EVE PvE beyond the targets of opportunity it can serve up, especially when it comes to shit like the NPC factional warfare crap (that's been released long ago by now).

As a former carebear who often pootled about in low sec for a few years (back in the times when PvE still offered hauling jobs and that sort of thing), for the carebear the enjoyment is in eluding attack. Unlike a single-player space game, the ever-present danger adds spice to one's roleplaying, it makes the virtual world feel very much alive.

Which I think was the developers' intention, and it worked out pretty well.

I did start a few characters with the intention of hoisting the jolly rodger, but I'm just constitutionally incapable of playing a "bad guy," and I think you do have to do that for a period to learn how to PvP properly, even if you're intending to be a merc or whatever.

Playing PvE in EVE also got me over the hump of the adrenaline spike, so that I came to enjoy PvP in other types of games where it's more formalized.

I think the only "problem" with EVE (from my point of view) was really that it's too corporate-based, it is very much a co-operative/competitive game, and I just never had enough time to commit to that sort of thing. The game did introduce more solo-friendly gameplay styles as time went on, but I'd drifted away by then.

My impression though, was that most people who do PvP do some carebearing now and then anyway. Sometimes people just run low on stocks and resources and have to carebear for a bit. Kind of a dirty secret of EVE :)

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
So they destroyed just about everything was good about the game. I got banned 3 times in a few months, because i triggered some snowflakes in FUCKING AMARR (filled with liberals sjw these days). AMARR was, think at something like Imperium of Man (Also their background), now is Los Angeles/Stockholm.

They added one mini game i like, the instancing missions when you warp to totally not precursors, and if u die there, u get podded, of course the fucked up the rewards because retardo youtubers/twichers.

Faction Warfare is a bit better, since they copied Albion Online and Raid (yup), but 0.0 is dead, beside to make profits and sell to Carlo/Morgoth and other NPCs.

Oh wait its not all, 1 month is 2,5bil now, was 500mil when i left the game in 2010 or so. Want to go into some manufacturing, FUCK YOU! They added extra materials to Tier 1, which are quite expensive to make, and now everything is skyrocketing in prices. Its like Biden designed the game. You got some nice rare bpc from a complex, FUCK YOU! just 1/3 of those materials costs more than the full ship, or at best u make 1-5 mil (frigates). And so on. World of Eve Ships, designed by retards for retards. Albion Online is ten times better (some devs ran there).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I think the only "problem" with EVE (from my point of view) was really that it's too corporate-based, it is very much a co-operative/competitive game, and I just never had enough time to commit to that sort of thing.

It's a double-edged sword rather than a problem per se, but a certain level of commitment is definitely required. I was into small-gang warfare, and ended up with the OG corp Agony Unleashed, which is still running to this day. In order to find gudfites, you have to have to have some sort of schedule, muster the troops, get everyone on voice comms, call roll, then head out looking for fun. Finding gudfites can be time-consuming, so you're looking at several hours' commitment there.

My impression though, was that most people who do PvP do some carebearing now and then anyway. Sometimes people just run low on stocks and resources and have to carebear for a bit. Kind of a dirty secret of EVE :)

Most of them, yeah. I made the bulk of my half-trillion ISK fortune (in 2012 ISK, mind you) in wormhole space after Apocrypha and T3 dropped. After that, I never PvE'd again outside of shits and giggles.

Apocrypha was possibly the biggest gold rush in EVE history.

There's a better reason to kill ratters, which is to a serve as their mentor. You're teaching them that they're never safe anywhere and that they must always be vigilant.
if you do it on the same field. if you kill cruisers sitting in a carrier (and/or with a whole fleet following), you're just an asshole.

Thane Solus

Arcane
talking about things that made sense 13 years ago, typical Blaine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom