Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
talking about things that made sense 13 years ago, typical Blaine.

I have no doubt the game has changed immensely. I've been away from it for more than half of its lifetime at this late date. Personally I believe I played it during some of its best years, from 2006 to 2012.

if you do it on the same field. if you kill cruisers sitting in a carrier (and/or with a whole fleet following), you're just an asshole.

Presumably we're talking about nullsec ratting, in which case you're still providing valuable mentorship: nullbearing is still carebearing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
meh, he learnt only that his corp has no scouts.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that aspect too, but I was trying to be brief. Players farming high-end PvE who are too busy stacking those ISKies to factor in that you can't blindly semi-AFK free spacebux completely alone without risking your pod have an important lesson to learn.

So they destroyed just about everything was good about the game. I got banned 3 times in a few months, because i triggered some snowflakes in FUCKING AMARR (filled with liberals sjw these days). AMARR was, think at something like Imperium of Man (Also their background), now is Los Angeles/Stockholm.

They added one mini game i like, the instancing missions when you warp to totally not precursors, and if u die there, u get podded, of course the fucked up the rewards because retardo youtubers/twichers.

Faction Warfare is a bit better, since they copied Albion Online and Raid (yup), but 0.0 is dead, beside to make profits and sell to Carlo/Morgoth and other NPCs.

Oh wait its not all, 1 month is 2,5bil now, was 500mil when i left the game in 2010 or so. Want to go into some manufacturing, FUCK YOU! They added extra materials to Tier 1, which are quite expensive to make, and now everything is skyrocketing in prices. Its like Biden designed the game. You got some nice rare bpc from a complex, FUCK YOU! just 1/3 of those materials costs more than the full ship, or at best u make 1-5 mil (frigates). And so on. World of Eve Ships, designed by retards for retards. Albion Online is ten times better (some devs ran there).
As an avowed Amarr Supremist it makes me seethe just how much the Goon mentality as ruined Amarr chat. Everyone there is penitant for being edgy on the internet two decades ago. This is what happens when one group dominates the game for too long.

Dr1f7

Scholar
If you're using CovOps and d-scan (the mechanics of which I believe were "upgraded" since I retired in 2012) to hunt targets in WH space, then you must be playing EVE properly on some level.

That's always my challenge in this thread: I can't relate to carebears on any level, even after more than a decade away from the game. I mean, there are people who've been playing EVE for years who don't even know how to use the directional scanner. That's absolutely insane.

The best I can do is dispense outdated tips on how to stop being a carebear, which is actually quite easy to do with the correct mindset. When someone determinedly views EVE as being primarily a game about PvE, there's simply nothing to discuss. I mean that literally, because at this point I know virtually nothing about EVE PvE beyond the targets of opportunity it can serve up, especially when it comes to shit like the NPC factional warfare crap (that's been released long ago by now).

As a former carebear who often pootled about in low sec for a few years (back in the times when PvE still offered hauling jobs and that sort of thing), for the carebear the enjoyment is in eluding attack. Unlike a single-player space game, the ever-present danger adds spice to one's roleplaying, it makes the virtual world feel very much alive.

Which I think was the developers' intention, and it worked out pretty well.

I did start a few characters with the intention of hoisting the jolly rodger, but I'm just constitutionally incapable of playing a "bad guy," and I think you do have to do that for a period to learn how to PvP properly, even if you're intending to be a merc or whatever.

Playing PvE in EVE also got me over the hump of the adrenaline spike, so that I came to enjoy PvP in other types of games where it's more formalized.

I think the only "problem" with EVE (from my point of view) was really that it's too corporate-based, it is very much a co-operative/competitive game, and I just never had enough time to commit to that sort of thing. The game did introduce more solo-friendly gameplay styles as time went on, but I'd drifted away by then.

My impression though, was that most people who do PvP do some carebearing now and then anyway. Sometimes people just run low on stocks and resources and have to carebear for a bit. Kind of a dirty secret of EVE :)

Meh the pvp in this game has always been "not worth it" imo. it's too easy for people to just run away whenever anyone warps into the zone, so there's so many hours long sessions where you hunt for people but don't even get into a single fight... or it's a trap and you just end up getting ganked by their 10 friends waiting in the next zone. or if you join a big corp (not my style) you're just like one ship out of a billion in some boring cluster fuck and they probably want you to sit around and gate camp all damn day zzzzzz

the most fun I've had in this game is solo running around low/null-sec and hacking data and relic sites. requires you to use a bunch of ship tools while staying on your toes in case some hunters come after you. honestly care-bearing might be more fun than pking since you actually accomplish real things while needing to stay on your toes. being a pirate is overrated, just flying around for hours and watching people run away all day

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Why do all my primary characters have 5-9 million unallocated skill points?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Various bonuses CCP gave during the years, and getting points back from removing some of the skills (like all the learning crap).
Even though I was inactive since 2017? Well guess I can't complain about an extra 50% bonus skillpoints over my 12-15mil that are used up.

Higher Game

Arcane
If you're using CovOps and d-scan (the mechanics of which I believe were "upgraded" since I retired in 2012) to hunt targets in WH space, then you must be playing EVE properly on some level.

That's always my challenge in this thread: I can't relate to carebears on any level, even after more than a decade away from the game. I mean, there are people who've been playing EVE for years who don't even know how to use the directional scanner. That's absolutely insane.

The best I can do is dispense outdated tips on how to stop being a carebear, which is actually quite easy to do with the correct mindset. When someone determinedly views EVE as being primarily a game about PvE, there's simply nothing to discuss. I mean that literally, because at this point I know virtually nothing about EVE PvE beyond the targets of opportunity it can serve up, especially when it comes to shit like the NPC factional warfare crap (that's been released long ago by now).

As a former carebear who often pootled about in low sec for a few years (back in the times when PvE still offered hauling jobs and that sort of thing), for the carebear the enjoyment is in eluding attack. Unlike a single-player space game, the ever-present danger adds spice to one's roleplaying, it makes the virtual world feel very much alive.

I did start a few characters with the intention of hoisting the jolly rodger, but I'm just constitutionally incapable of playing a "bad guy," and I think you do have to do that for a period to learn how to PvP properly, even if you're intending to be a merc or whatever.

Playing PvE in EVE also got me over the hump of the adrenaline spike, so that I came to enjoy PvP in other types of games where it's more formalized.

I think the only "problem" with EVE (from my point of view) was really that it's too corporate-based, it is very much a co-operative/competitive game, and I just never had enough time to commit to that sort of thing. The game did introduce more solo-friendly gameplay styles as time went on, but I'd drifted away by then.

My impression though, was that most people who do PvP do some carebearing now and then anyway. Sometimes people just run low on stocks and resources and have to carebear for a bit. Kind of a dirty secret of EVE :)

Meh the pvp in this game has always been "not worth it" imo. it's too easy for people to just run away whenever anyone warps into the zone, so there's so many hours long sessions where you hunt for people but don't even get into a single fight... or it's a trap and you just end up getting ganked by their 10 friends waiting in the next zone. or if you join a big corp (not my style) you're just like one ship out of a billion in some boring cluster fuck and they probably want you to sit around and gate camp all damn day zzzzzz

the most fun I've had in this game is solo running around low/null-sec and hacking data and relic sites. requires you to use a bunch of ship tools while staying on your toes in case some hunters come after you. honestly care-bearing might be more fun than pking since you actually accomplish real things while needing to stay on your toes. being a pirate is overrated, just flying around for hours and watching people run away all day

Cloaking device. Faction scrambler. The only thing stopping that is flying aligned while kiting and quick reflexes. And the ratter has to come back later in a low sig radius frigate to actually safely pick up the loot. The pro-pirate bias is strong.

Dr1f7

Scholar

Cloaking device. Faction scrambler. The only thing stopping that is flying aligned while kiting and quick reflexes. And the ratter has to come back later in a low sig radius frigate to actually safely pick up the loot. The pro-pirate bias is strong.
lots of people just warp away or at least pre-align when they see someone enter local chat
and really it can take a few minutes to find where the ratter even is and if they see you hanging in local chat for more than a minute they know something's up

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Various bonuses CCP gave during the years, and getting points back from removing some of the skills (like all the learning crap).
Even though I was inactive since 2017? Well guess I can't complain about an extra 50% bonus skillpoints over my 12-15mil that are used up.
Yup, there were promotions giving 1m sp to inactive players so they come back. On your main that would mean spending plex/resubbing as you would be over alpha sp limit.

Dr1f7

Scholar
fuck i really wanna reinstall this game and do some site hacking
just comfy as fuck floating around scanning for sites then playing the hacking minigame with the space backdrop for hours
but man I jsut don't have the time shit sucks

i say as I keep loading up games of dota

:0-13:

Dr1f7

Scholar
ok bros i made this sick custom fit to gank explorers sitting on my perch rn cracking open a tallboy wish me luck :salute:

Dr1f7

Scholar
man people playing this game are such pussies there's a T4 relic site with prolly like 200 mil right there! but nooooo can't hack it when someone else is in the system too scawy :( they literally scan it down then run away

i'll fucking hack a nul-sec system with 5 other people in it idgaf I even jump on top of people in sites and lock them to scare them off even tho my explorer ship has no weapons

it's all good imma get someone eventually the web is strung the trap is set now i just wait
1.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
To be fair, that's why I hung up my EVE hat. The prospect of real loss when a pilot loses his ship/pod is critical to the game in every sense, but it does also lead to extremely cautious behavior. It's the other side of the same coin.

The essential problem, I think, is that EVE is definitely an old-school MMO, with an aged, top-heavy, old-school in-game economy, and the losses are simply too loss-y for the average player.
They were never too much for me personally... except that they were, indirectly, because interesting targets/victims never came easily or quickly. I enjoyed my time in EVE, but I wasn't willing to continue putting inordinate amounts of time into the game waiting to find each gudfite or hatemail piñata.

I went from EVE directly to Tribes: Ascend in 2012, which was my first-ever competitive FPS, and had a fucking blast. There was no waiting around to shoot scrubs and troll people in that game, and the skill ceiling was reasonably high.

Higher Game

Arcane
man people playing this game are such pussies there's a T4 relic site with prolly like 200 mil right there! but nooooo can't hack it when someone else is in the system too scawy :( they literally scan it down then run away

i'll fucking hack a nul-sec system with 5 other people in it idgaf I even jump on top of people in sites and lock them to scare them off even tho my explorer ship has no weapons

it's all good imma get someone eventually the web is strung the trap is set now i just wait
1.png

Scanning with an uber-scanner and then coming back with the hacker is ideal. The "run away" guy is probably hoarding bookmarks for later.

Dr1f7

Scholar
ok update someone FINALLY went to the site and I jumped them!

and proceeded to get blown the fuck up turns out i should probably train some of my weapon skills cuz level 1 rockets don't cut it vs a navy issue ship RIP will try again in 2 weeks

Dr1f7

Scholar
Scanning with an uber-scanner and then coming back with the hacker is ideal. The "run away" guy is probably hoarding bookmarks for later.

damn i didn't even know people did this i've always just scanned and hacked with the same ship

Higher Game

Arcane

damn i didn't even know people did this i've always just scanned and hacked with the same ship

A ship optimized for scanning can do it over twice as fast because it can skip a step while analyzing, due to low deviation. And a ship optimized for hacking a single site type can also find room for decent weapons, as you found out.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

and proceeded to get blown the fuck up turns out i should probably train some of my weapon skills cuz level 1 rockets don't cut it vs a navy issue ship RIP will try again in 2 weeks

No, level 1 rockets are perfect, because you require no weapons. You just need a point, a web, a MWD, and a buddy (or an alt... is multiboxing still allowed?) waiting way off-grid in whatever Minmatar alpha fit is in vogue this decade to warp in and do the actual exploding. Even I wouldn't bother to d-scan for ambushers around every site in that situation, because tedium is a real price that one must pay, so I'd probably get blown up.

You do need to have those RPG stats trained in EVE in order to get up to the good mischief, though, which frankly is a shame and a downside, because it means that player skill, experience, and balls unfortunately aren't purely the only determining factors. Typically someone very experienced will already have such a pilot to reup, or be able to RMT (but via ISK/assets) the pilot some way or another, call in favors, leverage connections to a wealthy corp/aliance, etc., but in theory you could be away for years, lose track of all your shit, then have to start over sort-of from scratch.

It's one thing to start with 0 ISK, 0 ships and mods, and 0 current social connections, I'd be willing to do that (in theory), but the fucking pilots and gorillion SP... that would be a hard loss. Although I imagine it's 10x easier to train skills nowadays, especially as learning skills have been removed (I retired well before that happened).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Ha! In my day, you weren't properly addicted to EVE until you started "multiboxing" - i.e. having at least 2 accounts played simultaneously on the same or different computers, e.g. one for nosing around, one for doing the actual business of whatever.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Ha! In my day, you weren't properly addicted to EVE until you started "multiboxing" - i.e. having at least 2 accounts played simultaneously on the same or different computers, e.g. one for nosing around, one for doing the actual business of whatever.

If you didn't have at least two or three ISK-funded accounts training pilots to RMT/keep, at least one account containing five or six trained CovOps scouts parked at various convenient locations, an NPC corp account for transporting your shit/trading/doing super-secret PvE, and finally an alt account with another combat pilot to help gank carebears, then you were an absolute scrub. We're talking lowest-caste Indian untouchables levels of scrubbiness here.

Unfortunately, rampant multiboxing really wasn't that great for the game in the long run, I don't think. Not for the reasons many who've never played the game would assume, mind you (one player having too much power due to multiboxing, for example; that's a laugh), but because managing a bunch of accounts is annoying and it's an off-putting bar to set for new players as well.

To be fair the game has lasted for twenty fucking years, so all things considered, it did well. Someone who wasn't even conceived when this game released is now fucking, smoking, and drinking.

Dr1f7

Scholar
To be fair, that's why I hung up my EVE hat. The prospect of real loss when a pilot loses his ship/pod is critical to the game in every sense, but it does also lead to extremely cautious behavior. It's the other side of the same coin.

The essential problem, I think, is that EVE is definitely an old-school MMO, with an aged, top-heavy, old-school in-game economy, and the losses are simply too loss-y for the average player.
They were never too much for me personally... except that they were, indirectly, because interesting targets/victims never came easily or quickly. I enjoyed my time in EVE, but I wasn't willing to continue putting inordinate amounts of time into the game waiting to find each gudfite or hatemail piñata.

I could understand someone being overly cautious when flying their 50 billion super carrier or whatever but a 2 to 30 mil frigate? idk i feel like if people are really worried about losing little things like that their mindset is at odds with the whole design of the game. but yeah it takes a while to find fights which is why i thought camping explo sites would be a good idea since it's almost totally afk and I can work on other shit for the 50 minutes that nobody's around

No, level 1 rockets are perfect, because you require no weapons. You just need a point, a web, a MWD, and a buddy (or an alt... is multiboxing still allowed?) waiting way off-grid in whatever Minmatar alpha fit is in vogue this decade to warp in and do the actual exploding. Even I wouldn't bother to d-scan for ambushers around every site in that situation, because tedium is a real price that one must pay, so I'd probably get blown up.

You do need to have those RPG stats trained in EVE in order to get up to the good mischief, though, which frankly is a shame and a downside, because it means that player skill, experience, and balls unfortunately aren't purely the only determining factors. Typically someone very experienced will already have such a pilot to reup, or be able to RMT (but via ISK/assets) the pilot some way or another, call in favors, leverage connections to a wealthy corp/aliance, etc., but in theory you could be away for years, lose track of all your shit, then have to start over sort-of from scratch.

It's one thing to start with 0 ISK, 0 ships and mods, and 0 current social connections, I'd be willing to do that (in theory), but the fucking pilots and gorillion SP... that would be a hard loss. Although I imagine it's 10x easier to train skills nowadays, especially as learning skills have been removed (I retired well before that happened).

yeaaaa I really should just make a second character to come in and shoot, it's definitely not optimal to have just one trying to do everything, but I figured it would be good enough to handle a solo explorer that probably doesn't have much in terms of combat strength. I'm not really a fan of multiboxing but it def wouldn't hurt to have a second character trained to do some support stuff. I remember back in the day everyone had like 5 accounts and now it's even easier to set something like that up

unfortunately i lost my old accounts from many years ago so the character i'm playing doesn't have much in terms of skills but yeah it's WAAAY quicker to train shit now than it was 10+ years ago (not having learning skills is like a full year off of training time alone) and every time I save up a bill I can just buy a skill injector if I really want to learn something right away

Higher Game

Arcane
Factional warfare and bank robberies are how you find a quick clean fight if that's what you want. Stabbing ratters in the back is rightfully hard to find because it's so easy to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom