Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Aemar

Arcane
Sun Paladin in particular is a statistical outlier. It's by far the most played class, the only other class which comes close to it is Archmage, so that might be screwing with the statistics.
ugcugvihk.png

Most played classes.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What is the most fun class in your opinion guys?
Most of the classes are fun, it would be easier to name the ones I find less fun. Namely Alchemist, Rogue, maybe Bulwark and Brawler. Bulwark is just a tad bit too easy on normal, I haven't tried it on other difficulties. Alchemist is too one note and borderline bad on the higher difficulties. Brawler and Rogue are what it says they are, soooo yeah.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Mobile classes with a very active and somewhat aggresive playstyle are the most fun, IMHO.
Temoral Warden and Paradox Mage, Sawbutcher, Stone Warden, Doombringer, Wyrmic, Arcane blade(this one somewhat one note tho) are all fun.
Also quite enjoyed the Demonologist and the Cultist of Entropy the last time i played, tho the latter one must survive the early game first before things get rolling.

Passive classes like Skirmisher or Doomed bore me to tears on the other hand.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Most of the classes are fun, it would be easier to name the ones I find less fun. Namely Alchemist, Rogue, maybe Bulwark and Brawler. Bulwark is just a tad bit too easy on normal, I haven't tried it on other difficulties. Alchemist is too one note and borderline bad on the higher difficulties. Brawler and Rogue are what it says they are, soooo yeah.
Its inevitable that tanks will have a disproportionately easier time in easier difficulties, because the numbers to break their defense should be able to stand up to most things in the higher difficulties. This is just to be expected and I dont think theres any way around that.

Covenant

Savant
The old version of the Necromancer. Buffing up and then summoning a clone to start blasting everything in sight with 2k crit invoke darknesses and rigor mortises was loads of fun.

I'm sure the current version is a lot better for people who prefer to play a summon-oriented playstyle, but for blasters, old necro couldn't be beat.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Necro can still be a blaster, quite a good one actually. The rework just made minion necros more viable.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
All of them. Or almost anyway. Seriously. Depends what style you like but the thing is, even the ones that seems simple do have several abilities. There might be some exceptions and I don't know or haven't tried some of the newer classes. In general though, that's the part the game does best. Many classes, interesting abilities and most of then still feels different enough from each other. And are fun to play. There are some issues with this games but the design of classes - in general - isn't one of them. Again: few exceptions are possible.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
never actually played this, and am going to give it an honest go...what's the best class to learn the mechanics and survive long enough to learn the mechanics?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
never actually played this, and am going to give it an honest go...what's the best class to learn the mechanics and survive long enough to learn the mechanics?
Something with hp. Try like, dwarf warrior. Other classes do fancy stuff but the game is unique enough even a basic warrior will have lots of mechanics to teach.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Of the starting Classes (you need to unlock the rests through playthrough), Bulwark probably. Basically melee shield tank + heavy armor = high survivability.

Aemar

Arcane
Probably Dwarf Bulwark, or a Dwarf Berserker. And make sure to play on exploration mode, which allows unlimited lives. Good to unlock other classes as well before delving into proper difficulties/permadeath mode.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd advise against exploration mode as a newbie because that will teach you some bad habits and you won't take the time to analyse what killed you since death isn't meaningful enough.

MWaser

Arbiter
I personally don't like playing on exploration/adventure even when I started the game long time ago because it doesn't teach you good habits.
Though to be fair back in like 2014 it took me over a month to get past The Master as Archmage (normal difficulty) that I was trying to force so not sure how much that taught me, exactly.

Aemar

Arcane
Skirmisher class seems like the complementary choice for Halflings. Playing one right now and he's quite tough in melee encounters while struggling a bit against certain spell casters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I personally don't like playing on exploration/adventure even when I started the game long time ago because it doesn't teach you good habits.
Though to be fair back in like 2014 it took me over a month to get past The Master as Archmage (normal difficulty) that I was trying to force so not sure how much that taught me, exactly.

Roguelikes are difficult, more news at 11. Even experienced people (i.e. those who play primarily on Insane) have trouble finishing the game, even with the most powerful class (oozemancer) they only have a 10% win ratio.

Aemar

Arcane
Playing this game on exploration game for the very first time, unlike other roguelikes, gives the player the chance to reach every location and fight every creature in the game, AND unlock the rest of the classes (the most important aspect IMO), so he'll know what to expect during his future playthroughs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's no need to spoil the game for yourself like that. Think of unlocks and seeing new content as rewards for doing well on permadeath mode.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
as someone who finished the thing id say: no need to set your goal at finish line. Id say that you will have plenty of fun trying to get past certain vampire. Everything after that is like playing bg2 tob campaign after finishing soa

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, kinda. Too bad DarkGod isn't working on making the second half of the game better. It wouldn't take much either, just axe two of the orc prides and it will be immediately improved. There are still memorable stuff in the second part of the game, so it isn't all a dud.

Aemar

Arcane
you will have plenty of fun trying to get past certain vampire.
Still remembering the ordeal during the first playthrough when I managed to get to this point in the game back in the day.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Honestly if you just want to unlock stuff but got bored by the starting class in Roguelike mode you can just mod them in or smth instead of playing Adventure mode

The game also has gazzilions of class mods and something from 1.3 is still working today, some of them are also fun

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are some classes that are unlocked by simply breathing, so you won't have a shortage of new classes to try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom