Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

xuerebx

Erudite
Some elites can be nastier than bosses. I was once one shotted by an ant...
Damn, worse than mine :D But I think the elvin cultist who killed me wasn't a boss...just a regular normal enemy. I then respawned and one-shot killed him *sigh*

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Gunslinger snake became so infamous at some point the monster was reintroduced as unique with it's own sprite.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Currently i am still just mucking about with various classes instead of trying to win. Mostly with the DLC classes lately.
Current Necromancer can be built in a few ways. Tried that build in which you float 4 points into skeletons before lichhood, after which you switch heavily into ghouls. Didn't like it much. Dire Plague + Torture Souls is a pretty strong combo though.

Doombringer is simple and straighforward. Fearscape shift into the crowd and pull your devil trigger. Use the classic corruptor trick of "bring'em to hell" if you encounter something tough and don't forget that you have a ranged silence attack. My easiest Urkis kill, Temporal Warden aside. You also have a bunch of panic buttons which is nice, not as good as TW survivabiltiy options though.

Demonologist, a class that introduced tinkers before tinkers, also received a tiny rework while i was away. Recall that performing actual demon summoning was ill advised, now it appears to be very handy in a pinch. Certain demon bosses drop special demon seeds which not only grant one of a kind abilities but also allow you to effectively summon them later, very cool. Shame that they don't level-up.

Right now i am playing as Cultist of Entropy and... this fellow has a very different playstyle i must say.
As i understand it, you rely more on synergy between all of your abilities rather than select few talents. At the very beginning you suck very hard.
The moment you survive early game however... Let me just describe how my fight against the wierdling beast went down.
Hello, my wierd looking friend!
As you can see, i too have a million sustains active!
Here, let me generate some insanity and put this monolith to take your attention.
Here is your clone to keep your company, enjoy taking and giving less damage. Don't worry, your clone won't be here for long.
Let me put a whisper of madness on you. Oh look, another tentacled thing showed up! As long as that thing is alive you will further do less damage! Better take it out!
Here, let me put put a twofold curse on you.
Cacaphony to improve whisper of madness
By the way, do you know what happens when i put six magical debuffs on you? You see, i unlocked that oblivion tre- Oh Look, the Herald of Oblivion!
Nice knowing ya, my wierd friend!

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Jesus Insane is harder than Nightmare. My go-to classes (besides the Sun which I won Nightmare on) are getting destroyed in the late T1 or early T2 dungeons. I don't know if I have the autistic fortitude to micro an Insane win.

xuerebx

Erudite
Finally got to high peak! I'm on level 4, with 3 lives left. Hoping to get my first win finally after 106 hours in the game. Too tired right now and I don't want to mess it up so I'll continue it in the morning.

Snufkin

Augur
Jesus Insane is harder than Nightmare. My go-to classes (besides the Sun which I won Nightmare on) are getting destroyed in the late T1 or early T2 dungeons. I don't know if I have the autistic fortitude to micro an Insane win.
Try Ozemancer.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Try Ozemancer.
So tried this. Got to lvl 25 and prods. It's almost too easy, and also slime and mucus. Feels like I'm living in a bad jap hentai show.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Betting my ass you still have a bunch of stuff to unlock. TOME is a big game even without DLCs.
I myself still didn't unlock the glass golem option for alchemist. Even put the needed tome into my vault specifically for this.
Try Ozemancer.
So tried this. Got to lvl 25 and prods. It's almost too easy, and also slime and mucus. Feels like I'm living in a bad jap hentai show.
There is something special about the ultimate Ziguranth answer to the perverse forces of magic being a fellow who mutates into a blob nightmare and throws acid jelly into people's faces.

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Betting my ass you still have a bunch of staff to unlock. TOME is a big game even without DLCs.
I myself still didn't unlock the glass golem option for alchemist. Even put the needed tome into my vault specifically for this.
Oh definitely! Want to try out the necromancer now since I've unlocked it. And maybe try my hand again at the Corrupter...

xuerebx

Erudite
This will sound stupid considering I've just beaten the game, but can anyone summarise (or link me to a site - although I can't find a plot page) the story of TOME? I restarted so many times that I stopped reading the lore notes.
I know that there was an imminent orc invasion but I don't know why exactly, and what the 2 sorcerers (end bosses) were up to.

xuerebx

Erudite
True, but I had so much fun that I don't mind that much. The gameplay carried the game (duh!)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This will sound stupid considering I've just beaten the game, but can anyone summarise (or link me to a site - although I can't find a plot page) the story of TOME? I restarted so many times that I stopped reading the lore notes.
I know that there was an imminent orc invasion but I don't know why exactly, and what the 2 sorcerers (end bosses) were up to.
There's no story per se ;d After killing the Master, it suffers from "oops, I actually don't have a story" syndrome, so you go on unrelated adventures and fight literal nobodies as the last bosses. Technically, they want to bring back the only god the Sher'tul didn't slay and that's what the farportal is for (the one you have to prevent from being opened or close it by sacrificing yourself or Aeryn). As we find out in the orc campaign, he's not the only god who isn't dead, but that's neither here nor there. The worldbuilding is much more interesting than the story.

xuerebx

Erudite
Cheers man! I did read that the original game ended with the Master so I can see how what you wrote happened. Also the second part of the game felt like the weaker part. If I can kill the Master using new classes I'd be happy, no need to finish the full game.

xuerebx

Erudite
Skirmisher is boring to play. Hard to kill tho
And on a similar note, it seems necro is fun to play (for a summoner class where you sit back and enjoy the chaos), but easy to kill if you don't put your defenses up!

Covenant

Savant
That's cool, but I'd like to see a rework of the second half of the game, pl0x.
And some balancing to the degree that autoexplore deaths (as in, you're auto-exploring the level and then literally die from full health before you can even take a turn) are no longer a thing. At least unless you're playing a Yeek.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom