Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should you be rewarded for doing a quest "right"?

ad hominem

Scholar
I would think the biggest problem would be implementing realistic consequences for progressively more evil actions. Realistically, if you continue to commit a series of reprehensible actions (let's say murder for the sake of argument), people will start to figure things out. If anyone's seen you do it, any guard/police/"good" character should either approach you or attack you on site. Everyone else in the town/city should run inside and lock their doors; trade should be impossible. If no one has actually witnessed anything, everyone should be highly suspicious of any outsider (almost always just the PC) and you, lacking any believable alibi, should be instantly suspect, probably interrogated somewhere. The only exception to this that I can fathom would be an exceptionally large metropolis, where anonymity is actually achievable. I would think that the only way someone with a sufficiently high "infamy" could accomplish anything would be through cronies, people that just haven't done enough to warrant notice. I dunno, I don't think sitting on a throne giving orders to lackies all day is a great game idea; could be wrong.

Mantiis

Cipher
There are some in this world who would submit that the US policy and practices in the middle east is evil and there are those who believe that they are doing good. So who is correct?

This whole good vs evil discussion is silly; all an rpg needs is multiple ways to complete a quest and reward the player accordingly. For example a fellow mage guild member asks to steal the guild head's spell book should I, help, squeal, help then squeal, squeal then help, walk away or kill them all and become guild head?

What is good in the above choices? Who knows - one person would say its evil while others say it isn't. The karma idea in fallout however worked well: if you screw someone over you get a point in the negative if you treat others well you get a positive point.

Slylandro

Scholar
Re: Should you be rewarded for doing a quest "right&quo

You should only be rewarded for doing a "good" or "evil" option if it makes sense regardless-- eg if you ignore alignment, would it still make sense to be rewarded. If I help a certain king out, I expect a reward. Whether or not he is an evil overlord who throws political enemies into the nine hells or he is the reincarnation of Jesus shouldn't matter. Of course, assuming he's no good, he might try to backstab me or withhold payment, but that would again make sense and calculate into role-playing. You shouldn't be rewarded solely because you did something the developers felt was the right thing to do.

I liked Fallout's karma system where you get subtly rewarded. But it's not something I think that should be in every game. Only games with a strong sense of morality, at most.

I guess as an example you have the choice of whether or not to give Bloke A an artefact which will you have a hunch he will use to transform himself into Evil Demi-God A.
If he becomes the aforementioned Demi-God, you can kill him and get a reasonable amount of decent loot. However, if you trick him, by cunningly substituting an artefact shaped dildo – he tries to perform the ritual, and then kills himself out of sheer humiliation. You get a warm feeling of smugness, but not a lot else.

Should you be rewarded for choosing the dumb option?

No. It wouldn't be the dumb option if you were rewarded for it. The sense of satisfaction you get is probably worth it in that case anyway. Why play a total idiot (Int < 5 or something) for example in Arcanum? You lose so many quests and people treat you like a total idiot. Well, it's funny!

Azarkon

Arcane
Since this thread has gone into a larger debate over good and evil, I'll just make a few points:

* I strongly disagree with systems that try to reward you for "roleplaying your character correctly," because the definition of "correctness" is arbitrary and tends to pigeonhole people into predefined roles oftentimes inconsistent with the players' conceptualization of his character.

* I agree with WBC that there are better ways to handle experience than handing them out indiscriminately. However, I don't think that there is any one solution that will work for every situation, which is another way of saying that there are games where handling experience out for quests is a perfectly fine way of doing things. For example, consider a combat RPG - the point of the game is to grow strong through combat. Why would you not, then, grant exp based on monsters / bosses killed? On the other hand, a game that wants to encourage non-violent solutions would contradict its own goals by offering extensive rewards for engaging in combat.

* The idea that a quest can be in and of itself sufficient reward is, I think, a tad naive unless it's posited on the existence of definitive material and/or plot rewards. And by plot rewards, I don't just mean the NPC giving the player a word of thanks - I mean things like gaining a new companion, some new allies for the final battle, better treatment by the city's inhabitants, unlocking new plot paths, etc. Personally, gaining an actual tangible benefit at the end of a long quest is, at least for me, a major point of interest. Remove it, and I think you risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

* In some sense, whether the player is in control of his exp gain does not seem as important in a story-driven RPG as the existence of that gain. Many people dislike having to engage in tedious leveling in order to finish a game, but they nevertheless demand actual power increases during the game's progression. I think this has to do with an almost archetypal affinity to growth and an addiction to the sort of narrative that takes a puny underdog to the master of the world. The Journey, so to speak, appears to necessitate an increase in power - at least with respect to more modern renditions (correct me if I'm wrong but I recall no such power gain in Lord of the Rings as I do in many modern fantasy epics such as WoT and ASoIF (with respect to each of the children)).

MrBrown

Liturgist
Re: Should you be rewarded for doing a quest "right&quo

Imbecile said:
This might be a question with an obvious answer – but should the rewards from quests be determined by how well you negotiated the quest, or whether you took a good or evil approach to it?

Besides the ridiculous good/evil division, I think both are ok. However, a single game should be consistent about it, and tell the player what is going to get rewarded. I think that historically CRPGs have been really incosistent about it. Which basically brings out the metagaming style where players just to do whatever gets them the most experience points (and, hilariously enough, some people's view that "roleplaying" itself is ignoring that lure).

Generally PnP RPGs seem to reward you for 3 things, changing from system to system (actually, there are more, but I think these are the only ones relevant in comparison to CRPGs):
A - Performance/success.
-> "Success" needs to be defined; What must be succeeded in.
B - "Staying in character".
-> "Character" needs to be defined (preferably in limits set by the game but chosen by the player).
C - Making choices, where there is no clear right/wrong one.
-> Typically moral/ethical choices. The act of making the choice needs to be rewarded, not what was chosen (though obviously further play should represent the choices made).

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
@ Azarkon:

I think you're probably right about rewarding the player at the end of quests, but I'm not *entirely* sure you're right. I mean, in Super Mario World players would work really hard to find, say, a Yoshi Coin or another exit to the level or whatever just so that they could say they'd done it. If a quest is interesting and engaging and the gameplay that makes it up is fun, and there's at least some tie-in to the overall plot, I don't see why a player wouldn't be willing to do it without a reward.

As for combat RPGs and rewarding the player for fighting, again, in some sense you may be right -- the one thing RPGs have sloughed off to other genres is experience gains for killing random enemies / engaging in tedious tasks -- but if you trace Diablo's roots to Gauntlet, rather than Nethack (probably a false phylogeny, but let's just stipulate to it) then you've got forebears aplenty where the player fought enemies without getting much reward. (Gauntlet, Zelda, etc. work just fine without leveling the character up.) Heck, games like God of War or Call of Duty or X-Com or whatever are combat-based games and work just fine without leveling you up (X-Com subtly levels squaddies up, but the mechanic could've been left out without any real cost). The risk of using experience as a reward for a core gameplay element is that the designer can be seduced into leaving in a bad design element because players will put up with it for experience.

My main beef with experience rewards for grunt work is that it encourages inefficiency on the part of the player. Designers love that, because inefficient / repetitive player behavior means that limited content gets stretched out. But it makes for an inferior gameplay experience (on my account, anyway). If you reward a player with 50 experience for each kobold he kills, you effectively penalize the player for knocking the kobolds on their asses and running past them to kill the chief and end the level; you force the player to chase down every damn kobold running away from you. (Now I'll get two dozen "the player doesn't have to if he doesn't want to!" posts. Yawn.)

Finally, re: powering up being part of the journey, I actually suspect that's an inheritance that modern fantasy picked up from AD&D. We talked about this a while back (maybe three, four months?). Characters definitely *do* get more powerful in every fantasy story, including LOTR (some argued with me on this point, but I think Sam (and the other hobbits to a less extent) has pretty clearly "leveled up" by the end of the story, Aragorn has basically moved into a prestige class, Gandalf likewise; the rest of the party less so). But not until AD&D became the fantasy gold standard did leveling up become so dramatic; the stuff you see in, say, Raymond Feist is really a different level entirely from what you see in, say, Robert E. Howard (I'm not sure Conan really levels up *at all*) or Michael Moorcock. Most of the powering is in the form of artifacts or improved willpower or deeper understanding.

Probably the biggest downside to downplaying "powering up" would be with regard to magic users. It is just so ingrained in everyone's mind that wizards start out as apprentices and grow in power, I don't think you could do as effective a story without that.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mantiis said:
There are some in this world who would submit that the US policy and practices in the middle east is evil and there are those who believe that they are doing good. So who is correct?

Yeah, but those people are communists. Communists are evil and can't be trusted.

This whole good vs evil discussion is silly; all an rpg needs is multiple ways to complete a quest and reward the player accordingly. For example a fellow mage guild member asks to steal the guild head's spell book should I, help, squeal, help then squeal, squeal then help, walk away or kill them all and become guild head?

No, quests do need perceptions of good and evil. There are ways of qualifying such in a fairly easy fashion. If you're willing to do something that qualifies as an easier route with complete and utter disregard for how it affects anyone else around you so that it only benefits yourself, then chances are you've just made an evil decision. Since it's easier, there probably should be less experience reward, but more money or loot reward.

In turn, there should also be a consequence on par with the level of damage you did to the world. Chances are, if you fucked a bunch of people over, they should be pissed off enough to do something about it.

Mantiis

Cipher
If you're willing to do something that qualifies as an easier route with complete and utter disregard for how it affects anyone else around you so that it only benefits yourself, then chances are you've just made an evil decision.

Why? Why is looking after yourself an evil act? Especially (for example) in a wasteland a'la Fallout? Maybe it is a question of either everyone around can survive or you can so is committing this act evil or is it preservation, instinct, survival. People look out for themselves in spite of others every day - does that make them all evil?

Yeah, but those people are communists. Communists are evil and can't be trusted.

I hear the same things about terrorists these days. Almost line by line.

Section8

Cipher
Oh my, hasn't this little thread blossomed into a beautiful young flower?

Good/Evil

I think good vs evil is altogether a pretty silly construct within a game. It really should be a graduation between moralism and sociopathy, both directly derived from the game's society itself, and not necessarily our own views.

The measure should basically be of the characters acceptance within society. For instance, in a barbarous society, brazen violence between members might be encouraged, as it culls the weak and the average physical prowess of the society improves. In the same society, learning and philosophical thought might be considered evil, because they threaten the very nature of the culture.

In either case, you're not necessarily doing what's good or bad, you're with society's outlook, against it, or anywhere in between.

Saint Proverbius said:
If you're willing to do something that qualifies as an easier route with complete and utter disregard for how it affects anyone else around you so that it only benefits yourself, then chances are you've just made an evil decision.

See, I'd like to see a setting where perfection of the self is attained through material gains, and so the more you can do for yourself, the more respect the world has for you. Conspiracy and collaboration makes you a worthless coward, and anyone giving charity is evil for tempting others into refusing to make their own way.

It could be beautiful, since basically every quest is essentially a corruption of the core beliefs of the culture. :P

WouldBeCreator said:
If a quest is interesting and engaging and the gameplay that makes it up is fun, and there's at least some tie-in to the overall plot, I don't see why a player wouldn't be willing to do it without a reward.
[...]
The risk of using experience as a reward for a core gameplay element is that the designer can be seduced into leaving in a bad design element because players will put up with it for experience.

Exactly right, and that should be the true gauge of something's worth as a gameplay device. Get rid of the Skinnerbox operant conditioning bullshit, and see if the game holds up on its own merits. If a quest/event leaves the player feeling unfulfilled unless they receive some kind of material reward, then the developer has dropped the ball.

That's why I can't really warm to Diablo (et al). It's not really much fun. The "enjoyment" comes from the progression of rewards, not the gameplay. And gameplay aside, it doesn't do much good for RPing either. The player should really be seeking out activities that are both enjoyable to them as a player, and appealing to their character personality. It really troubles me to think of all the gamers who aren't even getting as much pleasure as a crack rat.

Probably the biggest downside to downplaying "powering up" would be with regard to magic users. It is just so ingrained in everyone's mind that wizards start out as apprentices and grow in power, I don't think you could do as effective a story without that.

Well, I tend to think of levelling up as being the computer game equivalent of character development/exposition.

In other forms of narrative, there is always a hidden backstory and facets of personality that can be progressively recounted to the reader throughout the course of the story. There can even be various hooks employed. For instance, a horribly scarred character almost certainly has a story to tell, but may not be very open about sharing it.

And so while games and traditional narratives both permit situational storytelling, ie narrative elements that revolve around the events the character encounters in the course of the tale, games are sorely lacking in terms of background/hidden traits, unless there's an amnesia plotline.

Character progression can fill this gap somewhat, but rarely in a satisfactory manner. For instance (mind the cliches):

A seemingly ordinary guy with an office job , wife, kids, etc, is confronted by someone who has broken into his home. The intruder points a gun at his wife, and instinctly, he disarms his opponent, and crushes his windpipe with a single strike.

That's an (almost) unexpected turn of events, and it changes the outlook of both supporting characters and the reader toward the protagonist. There's no doubt an equally trite backstory to explain why the ordinary guy was able to kill with such finesse.

In an RPG, the historical reason for the action is replaced with a developmental reason. It's not something the player character could have done a level ago, and so perhaps there is some element of surprise for the player with regard to their accomplishment, but I don't think I've ever really seen NPC related narrative take notice of that sort of thing.

Something that I considered as apart of one of my pet projects a few years back actually plays on that sort of theme. You're one of about a dozen amnesiacs in a purgatory type situation, and instead of gaining levels, you have ability "flashbacks." You still choose them in the same manner you might choose a Fallout perk, but each one contributes to an overall picture of what you used to be.

The game itself revolves more around self discovery than (saving the world), and effectively has two threads of character development. What you're trying to be here and now (based on your actions and choices) and what you used to be (based on the actions and choices of your "meta" development.)

And personally I don't think that parallel is necessarily confined to the specifics of that particular game idea. I think it's certainly a step in the right direction of justifying character advancement as something more than operant conditioning rewards.

Hope something in all that made sense, it turned into a bit of a ramble...

Prime Junta

bryce777 said:
I should think that the point of 'evil' should simply be to gain power through whatever means necessary.

For example, if you do an evil quest it should be because it pays well. Really well.

But there's payment, and then there's payment. Evil acts have their consequences: murder someone to get their loot, and their family may come after you, their allies may not listen to your pleas when you want something from them, and so on. A well-balanced game provides a very different experience if you play it evil than if you play it good; the rewards for evil behaviour could well be greater in the short term but lesser in the long term. Depends on the setting of course.

Azarkon

Arcane
If a quest is interesting and engaging and the gameplay that makes it up is fun, and there's at least some tie-in to the overall plot, I don't see why a player wouldn't be willing to do it without a reward.

True, and it's odd that I should think this way, since games are activities we engage by choice. Yet the feeling remains - side-quests do not seem "worth" my time unless they lead to some meaningful reward or are part of the overarching plot. Is it the sad state of gameplay in modern RPGs? Perhaps. The games you name in opposition to the experience system are predominantly action/adventure games where the gameplay itself is, certainly, addictive.

I'll have to sleep on it.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Mantiis said:
This whole good vs evil discussion is silly; all an rpg needs is multiple ways to complete a quest and reward the player accordingly. .

Aye, but rewarding people “accordingly” is the sticking point really.

As Section 8 said, the gameworld itself should have its own version of good and evil that the player would be measured up against, but this is largely irrelevant. My initial point wasn’t about the nature of Good and evil (although the digression has been entertaining), or even about experience. I’m more concerned with non-experience related rewards that can result from approaching a quest in a variety of different ways.

There seem to be a few possible solutions:

1)Give rewards based upon the wealth/connections of the quest giver, and nothing else.
2)Balance the rewards, but give them in a different way – Short term benefits vs Long term, Cash vs fame
3)Give rewards that lend themselves to the manner in which you earned them. This would certainly reward playing in character. E.g KOTORs items that can only be used by Dark/Light characters, or stealth related bonuses if you take a sneaky approach to a mission. The logic of this is hard to justify, though.
4)Approach is irrelevant, the reward you get is the actual gameplay plus the consequences of your actions (I’d like to see “Evil” generally screwed over here)
5)Traditional: “Evil” acts need to be tempted by cash. But playing “Good” generates better items. Smart play generates better rewards. Very little in the way of long-term non-item consequences.

Zomg

Arbiter
There are a lot of ways to connect sidequests to the "overarching plot" without actually making them into stereotypical main plot. Say a sidequest provides a roleplaying opportunity or dilemma to the player - that's an opportunity to affect the subjective overarching plot of that player and playthrough. Maybe that sidequest is the turning point where a priest character loses (or gains) his faith, because of some horror or miracle; I'll damn say that will change that player-character's narrative. Even absent that level of drama, simply providing a reason for the player to evoke the nature of the PC can be interesting. A sidequest could also explore the game's setting, and meeting or confronting interesting characters is also worthwhile, even in isolation. I think our imagination can get shut down a little just because "insert coin, get treat" and FedEx quests have been used as bulk filler long enough to begin to seem like the natural order.

Of course, gameplay or writing alone can also make "side" excursions worthwhile.

Balor

Arcane
Well, I think that best way to make playing stereotipically evil (and I'm not talking about definintion of Good and Evil, cause it's very subjective - like slavery was nice and dandy in during certain times, etc...) - is to trade off 'good relations' for furthering your own agenda, irrelevant of whether peoople you piss off are 'good' or not.
The rewards and consequences stem from it. Nice and simple.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mantiis said:

Why? Why is looking after yourself an evil act? Especially (for example) in a wasteland a'la Fallout? Maybe it is a question of either everyone around can survive or you can so is committing this act evil or is it preservation, instinct, survival. People look out for themselves in spite of others every day - does that make them all evil?

Okay, focus more on the part where I was talking about the bad results on everyone else and less on benefits for yourself. That's the important key on good versus evil. Even in a post apocalyptic setting, destroying an entire town's agriculture, thus starving a bunch of families to death, for the sake of getting an automatic rifle is probably an evil act. Getting the automatic rifle isn't inherently evil in and of itself, but it's how it's done and what happens as a result of getting the rifle.

Sirbolt

Liturgist
I see three valid ways which we can measure "moral standards" in an RPG.

The first one is; Does the deed when done have positive or negative implications as a whole? If the ends justify the means, than murder can in this system be considered a good thing. For example, murdering the head of the cliché "evil cult" would release the village from it's stranglehold, thus the end result would be a good one, even though the act itself can be considered evil.

The second one would be to simply regard every act of evil, be it murder, stealing or lying, as an evil act. This is of course nothing the standard RPG would dare do, but it would encourage some people to seek a more peaceful, and possibly, to them, a more gratifying solution to the aforementioned "evil cult" problem.

The third one would be to do away with all moralising and simply let an action have a reaction. If you murder the evil cultist in cold blood some would consider this a good deed, while others will see you as a lawless vigilante. This requires a lot of computing, but inserting some kind of "motivationsimulation" (sorry about the rhyme) might give a fullfilling experience. This would do away with the need for any kind of fixed outcome of a quest. Hell, why not, as some have already suggested, do away with the archaic quest system altogether?

Human Shield

Augur
Azarkon said:
* I strongly disagree with systems that try to reward you for "roleplaying your character correctly," because the definition of "correctness" is arbitrary and tends to pigeonhole people into predefined roles oftentimes inconsistent with the players' conceptualization of his character.

I disagree. Vault Dweller touched on this before.

There should definitely be disadvantages to not "roleplaying" your character correctly. By this I mean having psychological traits that matter in gameplay.

If you design a character that is afraid of water it should come into gameplay if you decide to go to the swimming pool. It shouldn't be Morrowind bullshit of the the player holding down walk and pretending he is scared, "derrr, it is players job to roleplay, notepad is the greatest RPG evar!!11".

The same can be used for good/evil. Have a trait like "cruel" and your character gets bored or depressed when it doesn't cause someone to suffer in a long time. Or "generous" and your character feels guilty if you don't give.

You can create a character with desires, and disadvantage ones can free up points during character creation. So playing a thief that is reforming it actually part of the game to work off such a trait, and having a good character fall is a challenge of will and honor.

NPCs can react to these traits instead of a good/evil slider. A thief mite be selfish but he mite not want to hurt people, an assassin mite kill but he isn't fond of torture, a paladin mite like you giving but you are still a coward (avoid risk to yourself traits) etc...

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Human Shield said:
The same can be used for good/evil. Have a trait like "cruel" and your character gets bored or depressed when it doesn't cause someone to suffer in a long time. Or "generous" and your character feels guilty if you don't give.
But what would be the in-game ramifications of being bored, depressed, or guilty?

Also reforming would be a very difficult game aspect to implement under a forced roleplaying environment, would it not? Wouldn't it be just as easy to have the player roleplay how he feels rather then work in every contingency from a developer’s point of view? The only role of the developer should be to make a game world that supports roleplaying, for example having non-lethal takedowns for pacifists. I might not be taking certain things into consideration so correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption.

Human Shield

Augur
Kos_Koa said:
But what would be the in-game ramifications of being bored, depressed, or guilty?

Reactions from NPCs and any party members. Slower accomplishing tasks, distraction factor lowering rolls. Lower willpower score (spending time thinking about), increased irritability. Not many systems have represented psychological health (those that try are usually always more interesting), I couldn't give a complete answer.

Also reforming would be a very difficult game aspect to implement under a forced roleplaying environment, would it not? Wouldn't it be just as easy to have the player roleplay how he feels rather then work in every contingency from a developer’s point of view? The only role of the developer should be to make a game world that supports roleplaying, for example having non-lethal takedowns for pacifists. I might not be taking certain things into consideration so correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption.

That is just less depth and a less reactive world. A character with a phobia of water makes things much more interesting, adding water and telling the player to act out fear if he wants is just bullshit. It is like giving the player god-mode and saying he can roleplay defeat if he wants by quiting.

The same reason the player has any restraints, it makes for interesting play and important decisions. Much like how Call of Cthulhu put in a sanity system and changed the way people played, they had players that now had to make choices like if reading a magic scroll was worth losing sanity over, while before it was a no-brainer.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fallout 2 is a really interesting example of consequences having too much extreme effect in the game that leads to a sudden restriction to unforeseen contents. Some are subtle but a few are really annoyingly xtreme

Right at the 2nd town you visit, you have a chance to become a slaver. This is really easy money for a starting noob. I tried taking this path before, but further down my play, a lot of seemingly 'evil' quests are restricted just because I'm a slaver.

I can't talk to people to complete evil quest just because they plainly 'REFUSE' to talk to a slaver. Right, I need to collect tribute from some porn director, but he simply said 'Stop looking at my slaves, Slaver' wtf?

Section8

Cipher
Plus, didn't becoming a slaver involve getting a tattoo of "SLAVER" or something across your forehead? God, that's dumb.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Section8 said:
Plus, didn't becoming a slaver involve getting a tattoo of "SLAVER" or something across your forehead? God, that's dumb.
Ooh, thank you, yet another nugget of retardation from Fallout 2 to add to my inventory.

Xi

Arcane
I guess it depends on whether "right" is determined by the designer or by the design/style of the character. A game should reward roleplaying your character "right."

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Xi said:
I guess it depends on whether "right" is determined by the designer or by the design/style of the character. A game should reward roleplaying your character "right."
It would heavily depend on the developer. I wouldn't play a game that justified ‘right’ the same way Fable did.

'Right' and 'wrong', 'good' and 'evil' should be solely perceived by the people/factions in the game. The only thing that I can't imagine the game supporting would be character traits such as the fear of water or the fear of darkness. Having the character react outside of the players control seems to be counter-intuitive from an rpg standpoint. It would cause too many contingencies that the developers would have to compensate for, but I may be overcomplicating things.

I'll have to play Call of Cthulha to see what the whole sanity thing is about.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Kos_Koa said:
I'll have to play Call of Cthulha to see what the whole sanity thing is about.
Eternal Darkness did it before, and as far as I've heard used it much more extensively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom