Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Anonona

Learned
Thank you d1r! You are great! I can't wait for it to release!

:bounce:

Terra

Cipher
Really loved the overworld map music in Tokyo in SMT4. I did not, however, enjoy getting lost on said map while squinting at the 3DS' tiny screens, I had the misfortune of finding myself on the neutral path too on my first and only run, which iirc needs you to do a shitload of sidequests at a certain point to progress the main thread, which I ultimately decided I didn't have the patience/endurance for. Ended up putting it down years ago and never went back sadly, kinda wish I'd done either the other paths first as I hear finishing the game is less of a ballache that way.

Sentinel

Arcane
IMO 4A has the best Tokyo theme in the series

And yeah Tokyo in 4 was a pain in the ass. IIRC it didn't even have map labels. Good luck navigating that shit.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
please don't be too easy :negative:
persona 5 royal was easier than persona 5, same with persona 3 reload and persona 3

• Nahobiho
  • Armaiti
  • Cherub
  • Dormarth
  • Gogmagog
  • Gremlin
  • Halphas
  • Ifrit
  • Karasu Tengu
  • Nezha
  • Pellaidh
  • Turbo Granny
  • Tzitzimitl
  • Unicorn
  • Vouivre
  • Vritra
  • Zhu Tun She
  • Fenrir
  • Kudlack
  • Dis
  • Kinnamon
  • Xiezhai
  • Mad Gasser
  • Senri
  • Glasya-Labolas (most likely playable)
  • Kresnik
  • Gurulu
  • Azazel
  • Amabie
  • Mastema (incline)

Really loved the overworld map music in Tokyo in SMT4. I did not, however, enjoy getting lost on said map while squinting at the 3DS' tiny screens, I had the misfortune of finding myself on the neutral path too on my first and only run, which iirc needs you to do a shitload of sidequests at a certain point to progress the main thread, which I ultimately decided I didn't have the patience/endurance for. Ended up putting it down years ago and never went back sadly, kinda wish I'd done either the other paths first as I hear finishing the game is less of a ballache that way.

IMO 4A has the best Tokyo theme in the series

And yeah Tokyo in 4 was a pain in the ass. IIRC it didn't even have map labels. Good luck navigating that shit.

SMT4 is probably the only game in the whole franchise that I'd recommend occasionally using a guide for. I'm pretty much convinced they made the challenge quests and Tokyo so confusing to pad out the game length, considering SMT4 is the shortest game in the series besides Soul Hackers.

I recently replayed it and out of my 40 hours of gameplay, I'd say at least 2 or 3 of those hours were me wandering around like an idiot trying to figure out where I was supposed to go.

Sentinel

Arcane
SMT4 is probably the only game in the whole franchise that I'd recommend occasionally using a guide for. I'm pretty much convinced they made the challenge quests and Tokyo so confusing to pad out the game length, considering SMT4 is the shortest game in the series besides Soul Hackers.
I always thought they made it like that because Tokyo is like a 1:1 map of the real life thing so japs wouldn't really need labels and they just didn't consider foreigners at all. No idea why I thought that though.

I always thought they made it like that because Tokyo is like a 1:1 map of the real life thing so japs wouldn't really need labels and they just didn't consider foreigners at all. No idea why I thought that though.
I thought so too, but the more I played the more I started to think it was an intentional design choice.

For example, the majority of the challenge quests don't have quest markers on your map. But with that being said it's not like Morrowind where NPCs/quest givers will share detailed directions on where you're supposed to go, it's more like "X quest relevant boss/item is in Y general location of the map", so you're left to bumble around for 15-20 minutes searching the area.

I wouldn't say it's a fatal flaw or anything because the challenge quests are completely optional unless you want the neutral ending, but it's definitely a bit irritating.

Also worth noting IV is a handheld game and was probably designed with that in mind. You're understandably more willing to stumble around and waste time in-game if you're just looking to kill time on a plane ride or whatever.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Traversing through Tokyo for the first time in SMT4 was absolute fantastic. The atmosphere of this game is insane.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
That's a great moment in SMT4. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but you get a message from your handler after stepping out into the open and he says something like "You've finally reached it, the cursed city of demons. They call it... Tokyo." And then this music kicks in:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SMT5 was kind of so-so. I liked it a lot more on my second run as I was able to approach it with a "good for what it is" mindset. Vengeance looks like it'll be a significant upgrade and fix a lot of the problems I had with it, especially the bonkers way that level scaling worked. Although now we'll have to see how the new way will work if the level cap goes all the way to 150. Getting to play the game on some real hardware is going to help a lot as well.

d1r

Patron

Sentinel

Arcane
That's a great moment in SMT4. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but you get a message from your handler after stepping out into the open and he says something like "You've finally reached it, the cursed city of demons. They call it... Tokyo." And then this music kicks in:

Fun fact: in the art book for SMT4 it's revealed that the developers/artists wanted to slap hints of a modern civilization (Tokyo) all over the dungeon where you face Minotaur, but Kaneko forbid them from doing so and insisted that the Tokyo reveal be a big "twist" in the game.

d1r

Patron

Fun fact: in the art book for SMT4 it's revealed that the developers/artists wanted to slap hints of a modern civilization (Tokyo) all over the dungeon where you face Minotaur, but Kaneko forbid them from doing so and insisted that the Tokyo reveal be a big "twist" in the game.

Absolutely based Kaneko.

The atmosphere of this game is insane.
Going to the blasted world was one of my favorite moments in any game, such a unique take on a post-apocalyptic setting. We need more games that are willing to keep the story to a minimum and just let the setting, art and atmosphere speak for itself.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
And another one!

Sentinel

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:/:bounce:
Its a 70 bucks game what are you doing
Supporting the most soulful gaming series in the video gaming industry at the moment. Also, it's "just" 60 bucks. :^)
wouldn't know i played some nocturne and strange journey only
Then go play the game. Switch emulation is free.
Dogs have limited mental capacity, you expect too much

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom